Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vince Randolph - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal InformationByond ID?
    Yourmotherisoflowiq

Player Name You Use Most?
    Darius 'Dward' Randolph

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    Have no appeals as the only ban I have was a three hour EORG one which I did not appeal.

Have you received any bans in the last month?
    Yes

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC-0

What is your discord username and handle?
    1914 France #8460

Basic Questions & StoryWhat do you think is the job of a Commander?
    To co-ordinate efforts of the fighting force by offering tactical information, coming up with strategies and keeping squads in the loop.

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    I think I'd enjoy trying my hand at it as I like SL and so type roles which involve leading.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    I think I'd be able to lead marines well and if unable to secure a victory I believe I could at least make the round an interesting fight for both sides.

How will your Commanding Officer behave? Describe their character.
    Willing to forgive but ready to put his foot down when it goes too far. Serious most of the time but allows for fun if it doesn't impede the operation.

Name and briefly describe your Commanding Officer's own ship.
    Keelhaul- an old ship nearing the end of it's life and falling to bits. Despite it's age it is armed to the teeth with many armaments to try offset it's poor condition.

Your story (potential topics listed below)
    History-Served the marine core for 15 years without much happening in his career, then one operation they were shot down over a planet by a UPP ship causing them to crash onto the planet with the crash killing the rest of the commanding staff, he then took command of the survivors and organized them so that they could hold the crushed remains of the ship fending off the enemies and although suffering major casualties in this defense was still able to keep a small group alive. This caused him to be promoted to the role of the commanding officer and was given the ship Keelhaul, with this ship he spent a further three years with no large event happening. Then when investigating a colony that had went quiet they found a Xeno colony had taken over the planet

Service record- Joined aged 34 with unknown familial status and underwent officer training before being assigned as a staff officer.
    Achievements- Discovered a large Xeno colony occupying a large portion of a planet and was able to bombard an area with shipside armaments, then sending in marines to retrieve valuable research specimens for W-Y and allowing for backup to be sent to wipe the rest of the Xeno.

ExperienceHow experienced are you with the position of a Squad Leader (SL)?
    It is one of my most played roles with 85.2 hours.

How experienced are you with the position of a Staff Officer (SO)?
    I have played 19.6 hours of so.

How experienced are you with the position of a Department Head?
    I have not played RO, CE or CMP but I have played Engineer, mp and warden and have knowledge of Requisition thanks to me helping req out when i play SO. I have played cmo for 3.5 hours but i have a knowledge of the medical department and can confidently work in it.

How experienced are you with the position of the Executive Officer (XO)?
    Although I have not played xo much I know their duties and how to perform them.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)?
    I have knowledge of both.

ScenariosWhen do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used? List some examples of scenarios in which a battlefield execution would be correctly used.
    If a ground side personnel has killed a marine and shown that they had done so for no reason. If personnel willingly carried out an act that allowed Xeno to get past defenses.

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner? What are some examples of crimes you would pardon, and those you would not?
    If the officer who arrested them did so out of sheer spite/revenge with no regard for the law or if the situation is dire and I believe they're simply trying to hamper the mission (i.e. they had tried to step in and de-escalate a situation). A crime I would pardon is if a marine killed a fellow marine and showed significant evidence that it was an accident or had a just reason(i.e. they dragged the body to a medic or doctor would be proof). I would not pardon a crime that leads to many deaths or the failure of an operation (i.e. shooting a fuel tank next to a group of marines with no Xeno near).

What is your routine after starting the round as either a Staff Officer or Executive Officer? Assume you joined round-start and are inside your quarters.
    I'd check comms to see fellow command staff. If need be I'd ask for req permission and help req out, I'd go to the south mp checkpoint and put on gloves and a jacket so if need be I can get a second weapon (i.e. I'm deploying to fob where I would not need armor). I would then grab a lighter and pack of cigarettes if none are near at round start , once this is done i'd check the squads to see how many engineers they have and whether they have an sl or need one assigned.

How would you handle insubordinate departments? State what you would do for each department if they were insubordinate.
    sec- if it's the CMP I'd fax high command to see if they had any objections to me warranting their arrest if it's required however if it's minor I'd simply warn the CMP if it's an MP I'd ask the CMP to arrest them. Req I would warn them first and if it continued I'd arrest them and ask a so to fill the position till the ro was released or i had promoted a ct, This would also apply to medical.

How would you handle an understaffed CIC? What if you and the XO are the only available CIC crew?
    I'd ask the CMP or CE to take over less important tasks so we can focus on vital tasks, if neither of them are available I'd fax high command to see if I could secure some help, finally if I'm unable to secure HC help I'd delegate xo to less important tasks and focus on the vital tasks.

What would you do if you were deployed and a marine told you they were going to desert the operation?
    I would first ask them why and try to see if I could convince them not to, If I wasn't able to then I'd try to incapacitate them first and send them shipside to the mp's however if the marine is hostile and is a risk to the safety of others and not willing to reason I would have to crit them and then take them to a medic and ask an mp to come down to fob to pick them up.

ConfirmationsDo you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the amounts of the hour you have played should not be taken into consideration for the whitelist. Your answers are a bit short but reasonably acceptable. Your name does not ring a bell. The story is very short.
    Your deployed answer is acceptable, You have to also keep in mind you have all your tools and you would be a CO as of answering any question. This means you can battlefield execute and pardon marines if you choose to.
    Insubordinate department lacking auxiliary support and engineering. (Do answer this in the replies)
    Please give an example for your pardon in more potential situations and take your time with the application.
    Play more XO, I'll be watching you and silently judging you. Overall an ok application maybe but I am not going to cast my vote yet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly our timezones don't match up, which means I've never played a round with you. One of your pardon examples is if a marine killing another marine by accident, then dragging them to medical. but to my understanding it doesn't matter if they're revived or not. Plus I think you cannot pardon a crime that is capital without faxing high command, so that is not epic. Someone else should clarify on this more.
    Starting routine is okay I guess. Should announce briefing time and location, though. Ya say you've got 20 hours as SO, and even less as XO, without listing it. I think you should play XO more, (oh god not that stereotypical get XO hours WL response) as CO is just XO with a fancy gun and extra things. To me it seems you're more of an SO and SL player right now than a possible captain player. However.
    What's a typical briefing you give to the ungas and the bungas? You pick the map, squad roles that woke up ect.

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I unfortunately have zero recollection of you as SL. I'd say that timezones were the issue but I'm quite literally always online.

As said by Kira, playtime has minimal affect on the WL if not any. When people ask you to play a role it's not to gain hours necessarily, it's to gain experience in situations. You can have ~90 hours as SL but be absolutely shit at trying to do something. You can also have 10 hours as SL and be better than a few of the big SL mains.

From what I got out of the pardons is fine. If it was an accident it would be manslaughter and therefore not a capital crime. Though can you explain just reasons? Though it may be just, it can still be considered murder.

You say you'd like to play CO yet you've never played XO. I wouldn't be picking at this in the past but sadly nowadays CO isn't really a deployable role and can't act like an SL.

I usually don't go downvoting due to the app but a lot of your answers I highly disagree with. I'll let the council pick at them but for now I'll ask you one final question. This question will be to understand where you're at regarding squad management, tactical awareness, and the ability to lead in the first place. The question will be asked both at the viewpoint of an SL and of a XO.

'(Map is on Solaris, LZ1) In the first 5 minutes of deployment, Medbay, Admin, and Cargo are heavily secured with walls. Xeno movements are heard to be around Hospital and Marshalls. Few harassers are heard to be at store. Their response time is 2 minutes to marine movement if in any major building such as store, engineering, ect.'

1) As SL you're assigned to restore power and secure engineering while remaining steadfast to breach ETA podlocks. Assume no squads will be able to back you up until time of breach.

2) You're the XO leading the mission, all departments are fully staffed, you have 3 SOs, and there is no CO. Lay out a plan on what to do with the four squads after deployment and assume they'll handle the basics regarding jobs such as killing and being a squad.

I just want to see what you'd do at first. No need to explain how engagements go, just explain the base plan. There is no wrong answer unkess you're really bad at leading.

-Doctor Compy

Whitelisted Captain BatHoovyDood's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 Major Complaints With This App.

1. Don't know ya. Haven't seen you under me as a marine or above me in command, and I play at all manner of fucked hours.

2. Playtimes. Compy and Kira are right that it's not hugely important (if playtime was all you need then Reed woulda gotten CO months ago), but there is still a baseline expectation. Play more command and especially XO, and you should have both this and number 1 sorted.

3. As far as I am concerned this app is just way too damn short. I know that in the great words of Windhealer himself "roleplay is a fuck," but ya gotta beef up your answers a bit, and not just the backstory ones.

While I hate to leave anyone's first actual vote as a -1, I gotta do it for now. Let me see more of you in both your application (i.e. give good answers to the questions people ask), and in game if at all possible. (Same deal for the time played, sometimes timezones just suck and if other people will vouch for ya then that's fine by me)
    - Squad Leader Cassandra 'Boston' Ellis (and overconfident CO)

(Probably already dead)

Developer & CO Senator (Major General) naut's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a look at this application, and here's my own two cents.

I've never seen you play XO and it looks like not many people have seen you do so either. XO experience is crucial to getting the role, no matter what way you put it, and lacking XO experience puts you at a big disadvantage.

Your application's also on the small end - a bit low effort, honestly. Look at other applications, both accepted and denied, and see how many paragraphs and effort they put into their answers.

Last but not least, your Battlefield Execution answer.

If a ground side personnel has killed a marine and shown that they had done so for no reason. If personnel willingly carried out an act that allowed Xeno to get past defenses.
    The criteria listed here's way too broad for a BE to be considered acceptable or justifiable. You're basically promoting that you're going to execute someone for what's essentially manslaughter (which could be an accident), and you also didn't mention more pressing or critical reasons or crimes to BE someone over. Once again, have a look at CO applications that came before yours; they've got quite a few bits of wisdom you could draw from in the future.

Overall, I think your application, your experience, and your reputation could use boosts. For now, though, I don't think you're ready.

This, sadly, culminates in a -1 from me. Sorry. Spend time shaping up your knowledge and making a name for yourself, and reapply when you are ready.

(Remember - don't view denial or failure as an obstacle; think of it as a stepping stone to guide you along your path!)
    Major General / Colonel Samantha 'Sammy' Maverick
    Colonel Chris 'Topher' Lawson
    Synthetic Tara

CO Senator (as of 3-19-21)
    ̶D̶e̶v̶e̶l̶o̶p̶e̶r̶ Maintainer (as of of 3-23-21)

I'm just someone trying her hardest to not get everyone horribly killed.

im an artist too! see my works at my art dump below
    //showthrea...aut-s-Art-Dump

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to say that I am definitely not a fan of people never playing XO and then applying for XO. Back when I applied I swear people used to get their apps torn apart if they weren't seen as playing XO regularly and I'm not sure where the shift in attitude is from.

As far as I'm concerned, COs should have a minimum standard of competency in acting as the overall lead of the operation, it's not a learning step for figuring out how to lead, it's for experienced XO's who want to progress further and are competent in their ability to lead and their marine law knowledge.

The answers in your application itself are not of sufficient length or quality and I do not feel that your answers show the necessary knowledge that you understand the nuances of a Battlefield Execution or a Pardon, and I feel you would run into issues given your current answers to said questions.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)?
    I have knowledge of both.
    You need to be more confident than that. You're the ultimate authority on Marine Law outside of the staff team getting involved, so appeals will more than likely come straight to you when someone doesn't like the MP staff (which is usually always). You need to give more answer in this section about your experience with marine law, whether you're experienced as an MP, CMP, or at the very least seeming more confident in your answer to the question.

When do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used? List some examples of scenarios in which a battlefield execution would be correctly used.
    This answer is either too broad or too specific depending on the perspective. If it's intentional grief or murder, it's THE most obvious usage of a BE in existence. The latter is a little bit better, as you're showing thought into what constitutes a threat to the operation, but this section needs more detail to show that you understand scenarios in which a Battlefield Execution may be warranted that isn't someone outright murdering someone. Particularly, in your next app I'd like to see what you would constitute as a threat to your Command. As it stands, I do not feel you have enough knowledge to be trusted with a BE with this answer.

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner? What are some examples of crimes you would pardon, and those you would not?
    If the officer who arrested them did so out of sheer spite/revenge with no regard for the law or if the situation is dire and I believe they're simply trying to hamper the mission (i.e. they had tried to step in and de-escalate a situation). A crime I would pardon is if a marine killed a fellow marine and showed significant evidence that it was an accident or had a just reason(i.e. they dragged the body to a medic or doctor would be proof). I would not pardon a crime that leads to many deaths or the failure of an operation (i.e. shooting a fuel tank next to a group of marines with no Xeno near).
    Not enough detail, but getting there. Pardons are not for removing invalid crimes. If a crime is invalid, it can be appealed and nullified without the usage of the pardon power. If an Officer arrested someone out of spite/revenge with no legal basis, the arrest would be invalid and nullified if appealed, then the officer arrested for prevarication.

I say this a lot, but a pardon is, in essence, I accept that you are guilty of this crime, but I am willing to take the personal responsibility and risk of releasing you due to you being necessary for the operation.

In your latter example, you mention a marine killing another marine but don't state what the charge was. If it was murder, capital crimes are non pardonable. If there's enough evidence to say it was accidental, an appeal can downgrade the charge to manslaughter, at which point it can be pardoned if you feel it is in the best interest of the operation to do so.

Also, always remember that when you pardon someone you are taking personal responsibility if they offend again, so you do not want to pardon someone you feel is going to commit another crime.

What would you do if you were deployed and a marine told you they were going to desert the operation?
    I would first ask them why and try to see if I could convince them not to, If I wasn't able to then I'd try to incapacitate them first and send them shipside to the mp's however if the marine is hostile and is a risk to the safety of others and not willing to reason I would have to crit them and then take them to a medic and ask an mp to come down to fob to pick them up.
    I can 100% understand not jumping to BE's when you feel they're unnecessary, and I totally understand the impetus to try and negotiate. This question just reaffirms my belief that you do not understand the usage of a Battlefield Execution, however. You would apparently be willing to put a marine into critical health, then send them up to MPs for something they would very likely be executed for anyway, but have not mentioned considering the possibility of a BE.

Please read other Commanding Officer applications both denied and accepted to see what we're looking for and read over SOP and Marine Law more. Also, please add more to your story. It's fairly low effort in comparison to other applicants.
    You also need XO experience and arguably MP experience before I'd consider voting positive for this, but I encourage you to try again in the future when you've got more experience!

For now though, I'm gonna have to -1
    Anna "High-Toss" Stall

I'm a manager now
    I manage moods
    B)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lack of XO time is something to be noted, as you don't appear to supplement that lack of experience with even acting CO playtime.

The application itself is, lacking, which can be overlooked if we have enough feedback and chances to observe you ingame.

Due to those two reasons, I will be casting my vote as a -1
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler:

Admin Manager
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resolved - Denied.

You may reapply in 30 days.