User Tag List

Thread: What is fall-off exactly in OT?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is fall-off exactly in OT?

Like M15 has a base fall-off of 90. What does that exactly mean? OT explosives having range of e.g. 2-5 is pretty self-explanatory, I can go negative 100 and I will still get 2 range on fire or do 50 and will only have max fire range of 5 got it.

But what does falloff means? Does it mean the range of the explosion? If so, why is it such a obscure number like 90. What does that even mean. Why it's not 3-6 like every other capacity? Can somebody explain this to me? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix it again Tony View Post
    Like M15 has a base fall-off of 90. What does that exactly mean? OT explosives having range of e.g. 2-5 is pretty self-explanatory, I can go negative 100 and I will still get 2 range on fire or do 50 and will only have max fire range of 5 got it.

But what does falloff means? Does it mean the range of the explosion? If so, why is it such a obscure number like 90. What does that even mean. Why it's not 3-6 like every other capacity? Can somebody explain this to me? Thanks.
    Falloff is how much the explosion's power decreases per tile. Base falloff is how much a certain explosive will have if there's no chems that change it.

If you enable blast wave dampening on the assembly (right click the nade/mortar warhead/whatever) falloff will be doubled every tile. This is usually only used for rockets, since other maxcaps won't gib the user if used properly, but you can't really run away from rockets that you fired and the range can be HUGE.
    Last edited by Sigil; 01-23-2021 at 03:33 PM.
    Viktor Kovalevsky
    Martin Dark

02.10.20 - mentor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So for all explosives aside from rockets you usually need falloff to be as low as possible. Some good basic mixes:

M15 - 60 cyclo 120 anfo

Mortar shell - 240 cyclo (DO NOT FORGET A BEAKER OF HYDROGEN IN THE TUBE)

Rocket - 60 octo 120 cyclo (ENABLE BLAST WAVE DAMPENING) (DON'T FORGET TO PUT METHANE IN THE TUBE) (Also don't make these unless someone ASKS for them. Because they hurt big xenos only about as much as a standard AP rocket.)

M40 - just don't. If someone really wants incendiaries for UGL make this: 30 ethanol 30 napalm (Napalm is stabilized the same as CLF3. You need to add OVER half of the resulting amount of napalm/CLF3 as water. So 60 water will let you make 110 napalm, but will explode if you make 120. Water can be safely removed AFTER mixing.)
    Viktor Kovalevsky
    Martin Dark

02.10.20 - mentor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also always take req comms on roundstart.
    Viktor Kovalevsky
    Martin Dark

02.10.20 - mentor

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigil View Post
    Falloff is how much the explosion's power decreases per tile. Base falloff is how much a certain explosive will have if there's no chems that change it.
    Thank you, but that means that a 215 max power M15 would have lost all his power at 3 range as 3x90>215? Well that is not true as it most definitely can kill at 5 range in my experience? What am I missing here?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So for all explosives aside from rockets you usually need falloff to be as low as possible.
    Thank you, since I see experienced players comment here, why would some OT use vodka or thirteen loko as a regnant other than it's "free"? I'm still learning some cocktails on this server as they are a bit different than other servers, but why would you go into the trouble of making them if you can just use the basic stuff in the chemlab? I pretty much never run out of mats even I mass produce things.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my I'm so confused now maybe I need a coffee. So just to make it clear the base fall off 90 so it loses 90 power/tile? In that case we want to lower this. Now how much can I lower this? by 90 to 0? Or can it be negative?

So if this is all true, putting 180 cyclone will be weaker than putting 60 cyclone with 120 ANFO as anfo decreases the faloff more so instead having -72 falloff we would have -96. Is this correct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix it again Tony View Post
    Oh my I'm so confused now maybe I need a coffee. So just to make it clear the base fall off 90 so it loses 90 power/tile? In that case we want to lower this. Now how much can I lower this? by 90 to 0? Or can it be negative?

So if this is all true, putting 180 cyclone will be weaker than putting 60 cyclone with 120 ANFO as anfo decreases the faloff more so instead having -72 falloff we would have -96. Is this correct?
    Every container has a minimum falloff of 25. So 180 cyclo will technically be stronger than the other mix, because both decrease falloff to 25, but 180 cyclo gets explosive power to the M15 cap of 215, while 60 cyclo 120 anfo will have 210.

The power difference is negligible. The main reason for this mix is that it lets you save phoron without sacrificing quality, which is the only chem you don't have a potentially infinite supply of.

Thank you, but that means that a 215 max power M15 would have lost all his power at 3 range as 3x90>215? Well that is not true as it most definitely can kill at 5 range in my experience? What am I missing here?
    I haven't actually checked the code, so I might be wrong about the EXACT method falloff works. But basically less falloff = more range.

Thank you, since I see experienced players comment here, why would some OT use vodka or thirteen loko as a regnant other than it's "free"? I'm still learning some cocktails on this server as they are a bit different than other servers, but why would you go into the trouble of making them if you can just use the basic stuff in the chemlab? I pretty much never run out of mats even I mass produce things.
    All alcohols and cocktails are subtypes of ethanol in the code. I'm pretty sure that none of them actually change the chem's properties, so basically all of them are just ethanol but more annoying to get if you don't have a booze vendor. No real reason to use them unless you don't have access to ethanol (like if you're playing survivor). Also you can use a piece of paper on a bottle to make a molotov. So if you're pressed for time you can make ghetto nades that way. Note that the vast majority of all containers have the same caps as an M40 casing.

Rocket - 60 octo 120 cyclo (ENABLE BLAST WAVE DAMPENING) (DON'T FORGET TO PUT METHANE IN THE TUBE) (Also don't make these unless someone ASKS for them. Because they hurt big xenos only about as much as a standard AP rocket.)
    Also, now that I think about it, with this mix you don't even need blast wave dampening. It has 60 falloff, so the shooter is mostly safe and the rocket is basically just an HE+. Just remember to warn the spec to be careful with it.
    Last edited by Sigil; 01-24-2021 at 03:11 AM.
    Viktor Kovalevsky
    Martin Dark

02.10.20 - mentor

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the detailed answer, things getting clear now.

Also you can use a piece of paper on a bottle to make a molotov. So if you're pressed for time you can make ghetto nades that way.
    Yes I know, when we are at Solaris, I'm the retarded one who risks his life getting the boose machine so I can make 100 molotovs for no reason other than annoy xenos. I even discovered that I can sometimes drag the paper holder thing next to the machine to make it faster or, grab a note-board on Almayer, collect the paper on the ship from the paper holder thing and attach the papers back to the board and I can actually carry 50+ papers in 1 slot (and I can bag the thing) so I can make a boatload of molotovs very fast and easily...I might or might not even use macro to mass produce this as I like to go overboard on everything.

As for the cocktails on-board. Every time I see an OT I try to observe what they are doing as most of the time I just see the cocky ones saying they are the best OT ever born in the universe and only THEY know this special one-of a kind recipe in the whole USMC...than proceed to make a maxcap with a different color flame by adding 10 copper or what ever wow. Amazing. *yawn*.

Than I see a bored OT come in and make a game-braking meta nade like it's nothing. I scan it and half of the mats are not even remotely OT related, but medical chems. I'm not talking about e.g. carbon here that we don't have in the OT lab, but actually medicines, cafeteria items or some weird substance that I don't even think of using as it has nothing to do with explosion even remotely...and it has bigger power or range than the casing would allow it.

Mind you, scanner is sometimes broken. Sometimes it says it should have like 5 range and the demo computer/live test will only have 3 tiles. So I prefer to always test live than trust the scanner, the only reason I use it is to find out what chems other OTs are using.

I also created an excel sheet as the old one from Kryth not 100% correct and limited, I made one that includes about 1,5x as much regnant than the original guide like vodka, cocktails and the chems mentioned....yeah took ages to scan everything and observe and calculate the actual numbers they modify and I'm using that to create the best and easiest booms possible. As there is literally no point taking 45 minutes to make 3 perfect nade, 1 will get lost second guy will get eaten by a lurker and third one will FF. So for me it's always a priority not to just make them good, but really fast and easy so I can make 15-20 nade MINIMUM as I know 50% of them will never get used anyway.

I have close to 200 hours as OT so I saw some things and I always observe how other are playing. In my experience the best OTs coming from other servers as they will do things I have never though doing like mixing cocktails in the nade that actually overrides the max flame range somehow or making molotovs but with other regnants which should be impossible (unless you put alcohol it says the bottle needs to have flammable liquid) and they manage to make OP molotov cocktails.

No to mention hiding the C4s in ways that are not suppose to be possible so they are invisible and indestructible etc. I have been almost banned a few times as OT for doing sheit like this, but always managed to get away with a warning, but by far I enjoy this role the most so thanks for the input. Cheers all!