User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you like infinite larva for hijack?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, keep it

12 17.91%
  • No, remove it

40 59.70%
  • I don't care about it

4 5.97%
  • Buff it, and keep it

1 1.49%
  • Nerf it, but don't remove it

10 14.93%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your opinion on infinite larva for hijack -- Vote!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Your opinion on infinite larva for hijack -- Vote!

What's your opinion on the infinite larva during hijack? Does it make hijack more fun? Less fun? Do you think it adds more possibility, or takes away more possibility?
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The easiest, half-assed bandaid of a fix for a problem that isn't mechanical. That is what it is, even after small rework.

What was the problem?
    Marines evacuating earlier, thus having higher forces to defend/attack shipside.
    Marines being able to hold too long after hijack.

Marine evacuation isn't caused by marines. Unless Command directly orders retreat when most of the cades and marines are fine, its benos fault for applying to much preassure on marines, to the point where their hope in winning planetside is broken. As soon as there is only one line of cades left somewhere, where benos actively attack, evacuating is viable. Breach to said line shouldn't be even questioned as possible metaevac. And T3, or multiple T1s inside of LZ give even 100 marines a reason to evac.

Even if we assume that metaevacs happen and marines do it on purpose, infinite larvae doesn't help at all with marines immediately attacking crashed ship. So its still viable to evac early on purpose and then attack dropship. Benos at best gain 2, maybe 3 larvaes if marines rush their dropship immediately thus nothing changes.
    Delay on the shipside isn't also a thing. Post-hijack timer that ends the round no matter what was made to combat this very thing. No matter what happens, round will end in 20 BYOND minutes. So on the one hand we have complains that rounds are too short, but if marines hold shipside for those 20 minutes, its suddently too long.

To this day staff treats hijack like automatic beno win, no matter what. And this totally inaccurate assumption causes them to think like its 2017 with infamous 25/75 winrate, like it was the only reason anyone plays xenos. Now its applied to hijack.

So in the end: It was poorly thought out (if at all) change. Very, very poor understanding of cause and effects.
    Last edited by CABAL; 01-31-2021 at 03:50 PM.
    REDEMPTION

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Benos at best gain 2, maybe 3 larvaes if marines rush their dropship immediately thus nothing changes.
    To clarify, benos actually start gaining pooled larva after queen launches, which includes flight time.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always had a mind that if Xenos got infinte larva, Marines should have a quicker SSD timer. Otherwise, I don't really care for it. Still waiting for the devs promise of that escape pod fuelling thing that was meant to balance the lnfinte larva pool. Till then I'll reserve judgement.
    Last edited by shogun-liquid; 01-31-2021 at 06:44 PM.
    Hans Von Leygood
    How my rounds typically end:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun-liquid View Post
    I've always had a mind that if Xenos got infinte larva, Marines should have a quicker SSD timer. Otherwise, I don't really care for it. Still waiting for the devs promise of that escape pod fuelling thing that was meant to balance the lnfinte larva pool. Till then I'll reserve judgement.
    The problem is, why would they implement a feature that was made for a feature we don't have right now? That's like taking a medicine that makes you drowsy, even though the medicine doesn't keep you from getting sick, it just makes being sick not as bad.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortelian View Post
    Snip
    Hey homie it don't make sense to me neither but hey, thats what one dev keeps saying in discord whenever somebodys complaining about the infinte larva. I only hope whatever system they implement to balance this works.
    Last edited by shogun-liquid; 01-31-2021 at 09:25 PM.
    Hans Von Leygood
    How my rounds typically end:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind it but reduce the amount of larva given would be nice, since the larva is also gained during the flight time.

Feel free to add me on discord If you'd like to talk or something @Special1kira, a cruel protogen#2359
    I'm an example of what not to do if you want to become a CO, ask me for any CO related questions or synth related question
    Usually the SEA nowaday
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my VERY limited opinion:

After watching a few sneaky queens get into the FOB and speed hijack the DS without clearing the ground forces or FOB of hostiles just to win feels off. They then proceed to use that time to build a pool and farm the larva on the way up and then defend the dropship to ultimately win through attrition.

This raises questions in my mind... How would an alien know to leave the planet/station which was (assumingly) a losing battle or stalemate to try their luck onboard a human ship just because they get free larva. This feels like it's encouraging meta gaming to me. Xenos should be punished for just hijacking a DS randomly when there are still marines pushing into their Hive or Humans running around the LZ that need killing and capping.

This is coming literally after watching a round where the queen had 6 members left in her hive, fighting in sand temple on LV surrounded. Queen then proceeds to have whole hive leave via tunnel to ambush FOB. They break cades, board DS leaving the marines that were fighting with them on the front line still on the ground AND the LZ alive, and proceed to hijack. Plant the hive stuff, get the free larva, end the round with 20 members after defeating the marines shipside in close combat.

That is 1000% meta, do not lie and say it isn't. How does the queen know that leaving the planet is beneficial for her? How does she know that the metal birds magically gives her larva every 1:30? She is not a smart alien discovering a console that makes the metal bird move how she wants. She is a human with prior knowledge knowing that she does not want to defeat these marines ground side and then push FOB after they have fallen back.

Now onto the part you should completely ignore (How would I fix this)(seriously I'm an idiot don't read this part)

Personally at first I was completely against the idea of the Larva but I can see why it was made. AND I think it can work with a simple tweak: Make them have to get the human food for the larva. Humor me for a second, they get on the DS, they bust open the cockpit and find some stashed MREs or something under the console. Pull that shit into the Pool. Boom. They have an explanation for the free larva. Suddenly it gives the xenos another objective on board the almayer: TALLS HAVE EFFICIENT BIOMATTER STORAGE. FIND TALL FOOD.

I'm not sure how hard it would be to add food stashes around the Almayer and in the end it might be a giant pain in the ass to make work and deliver very little in terms of gameplay but something about it tickles my fancy so I'm sharing it. Think about it, marines now have a reason to leave the cade hugging, stop the xenos getting to the food stores. You cade hug, the xenos find the food, swell their numbers, you get overwhelmed. Imagine being on the Almayer and watching a runner ignore you just to watch it drag off a pallet of MRE's or break into the mess hall and smash a machine to get into the tall food. Gives Pizza and Souto ERT a fun meaning too, that guy feeding the xenos for the LULS? he's now being dragged to the pool to feed and bolster the xenos. SOUTO man having fun shooting canned souto? Now he's a man to protect cause if the xenos get him they will have all the Souto to rule the ship! Just sounds fun to me.

Maybe another tweak is to give them an initial few larva or something like a percentage number of current humans alive to start off the fight. Then have the larva kick in after like 5-10 mins or so into the crash. I feel as it stand now it just encourages meta rushing the DS so if not changed somehow it should be removed.
    Last edited by Santiago Delgado; 02-01-2021 at 07:53 AM. Reason: More ideas
    "We are the slayers of kings, the destroyers of worlds, bringers of ruination and death in all its forms. These things we do in the name of the Emperor and in the defense of Mankind. Let none stay our wrath."

"Brothers! War calls you. Will you answer?"

By thy colour will he know thee,
    By thy banners will he fear thee,
    By thy standard will he dread thee,
    Cry Marine, and let slip the weapons of war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Benos at best gain 2, maybe 3 larvaes if marines rush their dropship immediately thus nothing changes..
    Other than what the mod said, this is just simply a lie. I know you mean 2-3 larvas AFTER crashing and that is 100% not true as I'm still ghosting after evac and observed way too many rounds. You have no hope in hell even reaching DS in less than 10 mins, even with stims, SGs and specs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix it again Tony View Post
    Other than what the mod said, this is just simply a lie. I know you mean 2-3 larvas AFTER crashing and that is 100% not true as I'm still ghosting after evac and observed way too many rounds. You have no hope in hell even reaching DS in less than 10 mins, even with stims, SGs and specs.
    While I do underestimated the larvae, because I forgot about pre-crash flight larvae. But saying that there is no hope to reach DS in less than 10 mins is just ridiculous. And still nothing changes.
    No matter if benos get 3 benos quickly, or 5 benos quickly, or no benos quickly, they get gradually more benos in time, thus FORCING DS rush for marines. Its not discouraging holding, it just makes it unviable.
    So its still a very bad decision and even that evac mechanic doesn't seem a problem solver. Still, just more benos. Still, nobody cares about escaping on a pod. It would be still better to immediately siege DS with marines, while evac shuttle will stay maybe harrased by two runners and lurker that can be dealt with two sentries and 0 marines.
    Maybe if surviving the round via escaping would count for simple stat change, then maybe somebody will care. If stats for kills make people want to kill more, then surerly stats for escape will give some people atleast a reason to then blast furscord with screenshots.
    REDEMPTION