User Tag List

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: State of CM-13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentMountain View Post
    It's so funny how due to the Dev's obsession with TDM now the /tg/ CM is better at gameplay than actual CM lol.
    CM is very obviously built as a roleplay environment with combat as a feature, not the other way around like TGMC is. It's a goddamn shame that the devs seem to be turning it into a TDM, or that they seem to think marines need to be at an overall (as opposed to strictly an early-game or late-game) disadvantage against xenos in order to keep the game from devolving into a deathmatch. The problem is, as it was for TGMC in the days of Crash only, that the only major objectives of either side is to kill the other as soon as it becomes feasible. This is and has been such a pervasive problem over the time I've played CM that a fair number of the COs that made the game fun and memorable for a lot of people (Bill Carson, Wamakahana, and the likes) have basically quit because the staff cracked down on RP that doesn't strictly fit into the TDM mold that the devs lately are trying to cram the game into.

It's unbelievably tone-deaf for staff or devs to try and force people, especially COs, to take the game as serious as a heart attack just because one side cares more about the dopamine hit of winning the game than having a bit of fun and playing just a little loose with the suspension of disbelief in the setting they are playing in. There used to be a lot more roleplay in the hive back before the techweb was introduced, but now its just deathmatch chatter with just enough xeno slang to avoid a bwoink.

Xenos in particular have no objectives on the ground other than to win the game, and by the time the Marines touch the ground, there are basically no hosts other than them so there's basically nothing to do. I think this is a missed opportunity. Marines used to have intel and research notes hidden around the map to recover, but that was cut from the game. Given the xenomorphs' reliance on hosts to reproduce and their otherwise primal urges to survive and grow their numbers, one would think that driving away or completely killing off hosts that could sustain their growth would be counterintuitive, and going and hunting down hosts on other planets when the hosts are already coming to the one the hive is on is a waste of time, energy, and biomass.

If this server is going to survive without losing the identity and playerbase that gave it the popularity to remain king of the hub, the powers that be need to stop cheapening the experience, return to the RP-centered roots, and stop catering to and/or adding their own voices to the screeching of people ON BOTH SIDES who only seem to have fun when the only thing they have to think about is clicking people until they go horizontal and avoiding being clicked on until horizontal themselves.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentMountain View Post
    It's so funny how due to the Dev's obsession with TDM now the /tg/ CM is better at gameplay than actual CM lol.
    CM was never designed with the intent to be a TDM or a pure shooter game, it was a unique game which told a story, an experience and an adventure.
    By forcing CM down a linear road they've erode the heart of the game and removed the soul.
    Last edited by Fewher; 04-03-2021 at 05:47 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DerFlammenwerfer View Post
    It's unbelievably tone-deaf for staff or devs to try and force people, especially COs, to take the game as serious as a heart attack just because one side cares more about the dopamine hit of winning the game than having a bit of fun and playing just a little loose with the suspension of disbelief in the setting they are playing in. There used to be a lot more roleplay in the hive back before the techweb was introduced, but now its just deathmatch chatter with just enough xeno slang to avoid a bwoink.
    What, you don't think that boring straight laced military simulation CO #3518 is improving the RP experience? Nonsense I say. Their ability to be exactly the same as everyone else is a thrilling time. Fun roleplayers (Wama, Carson, Auschwitz, Juro, even though I disagree with some of their roleplay) made the game interesting. Staff removed instruments from the code ENTIRELY. They can't even be adminspawned now, it's just gone. Blasting aliens to the tune of Renai Circulation was top tier. I haven't seen an admin play into a CO meme in a long time. Mostly they just do shit like spawn in talking fish or whatever, which only involves shipside players. Also, this kind of RP pulls away from the mechanics of the game, forcing the CO to go on an adventure of idiocy instead of coordinating marines, dropping OBs, and managing techwebs. Speaking of, haven't seen admins do any of the stupid shit since techwebs either.

Today I saw Xenos openly use OOC terms (ban, delay, admins, etc.) in hivemind. Did anything happen? Nah. Will it happen? Probably not. A lack of alternate goals for xeno and the desire to quickly get back into the game encourages rushes. Xenos have never been the strongest roleplayers, but now they're not even pretending.
    Last edited by Urytion; 04-03-2021 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Typo, MORE RANTING

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't really blame anyone for the way CM is going, it's unpredictable on the player base as no matter what you do, people will dislike you either way. I don't think we can fix that issue. Not easily anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fewher View Post
    CM was never designed with the intent to be a TDM or a pure shooter game, it was a unique game which told a story, an experience and an adventure.
    By forcing CM down a linear road they've erode the heart of the game and removed the soul.
    This pretty much sums up my observation

They took all the depth out of the game, and drove away the people who made even a losing battle fun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This pretty much sums up my observation

They took all the depth out of the game, and drove away the people who made even a losing battle fun.
    There's a reason we ended rounds with "Thus ends the story of the crew of the USS Almayer/Sulaco".

There was never a win/lose screen for a good reason, much less would we ever have implemented a K/D Ratio (though it was eventually removed).

Quote Originally Posted by special2kira View Post
    I can't really blame anyone for the way CM is going, it's unpredictable on the player base as no matter what you do, people will dislike you either way. I don't think we can fix that issue. Not easily anyway.
    There are a select few you can absolutely blame for the state of the game, those who have sat cushy in the top positions doing nothing for years now (Grimcad would be a perfect example and arguably Jamie for not stepping in).
    I however wouldn't blame newer Devs or even Head Dev Trillo as they more-or-less simply took over the ship after it altered course.

It's a goddamn shame that the devs seem to be turning it into a TDM,
    This is just an easy example of inexperienced leadership getting into positions they shouldn't be. The Head Dev position has been plagued by staff who have little to no experience managing a staff team much less do they have any experience developing for a game. This is evident just by more recent promotions where you have Fourkhan, a notorious ANTI-RP who was quite open about not developing RP mechanics getting promoted to "Lead Dev" & "Dev Architect". Shit like that just shows the state of the Dev Team and how poor their understanding of what CM is supposed to be when you're appointing people to positions who are so against aspects of the game you're working on.

It's far easier to implement and develop a Deathmatch/Team Deathmatch game than it is for a Roleplay/Action oriented game. The later requires much more thought out planning, lore attachment, mechanic implementing and rule enforcement.

Where as a Deathmatch game you can churn out content that solely requires balancing over-time while completely removing or ignoring other elements of the game (RP etc).

This all combines to make CM just another "SS13 Shooter" and it's beginning to blend into TGCM & Corp Merc, where-as in the past you could argue CM was a unique server it's becoming much more difficult to tell the difference.

If this server is going to survive without losing the identity and playerbase that gave it the popularity to remain king of the hub, the powers that be need to stop cheapening the experience, return to the RP-centered roots,
    The server will absolutely survive and continue on, but it'll end up as a generic SS13 Shooter in the end.
    There just won't be any change or "fix" to CM's current trend as the rot that is eroding the soul of the game still exist at the top and won't change until it's removed or quits.
    Last edited by Fewher; 04-03-2021 at 04:51 PM.