Byond ID?
    BatHoovyDood

CM Character?
    Charles 'Boston' Ellis

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    Eastern Standard Time

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    7-10

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    Some god awful Unturned Semi-Rp stuff when I was younger but not much since then. Also ran a Clan in Warframe for a while, but I haven’t played in ages so no idea if it still exists.

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    Used to be a huge goon guy, and a little Eris on the side, and TG very rarely. But generally, it is just CM for me.

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    //showthrea...or-Application (Mentor - Accepted)

//showthrea...er-Application (Captain - Accepted)

Also Lore Team, but don’t have a proper link for that (Also Accepted)

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    Nope, at least not that I know of

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    Server banned? No. I got job-banned from Xenomorph and Queen for leaving the game as a Larva, but that was back in a far wackier time for staff.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    Nothing that I remember. I played CM and other servers many many years ago, but never really got into it. That was on a different ckey, that I have long forgotten, but I don't believe I had any bans on it.

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Of Course

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    I’d PM both the shooter and the victim. Odds are if they just shot one person and were fine being detained it was either an accident, or they are just really new. Although I have relatively little mentor experience compared to some other folks, I can speak from experience when I say some new people just genuinely don’t know any better. Even though we say read the rules and all that, CM is many people’s first SS13 experience, and odds are they haven’t done the reading on all that. I’m also assuming the victim hasn’t been injured beyond a few shots, and if so they are being revived. This being the case, I would probably warn and just note it, and either ask a SEA to help show them the ropes or go in myself. If it’s a clearly experienced player, or seriously widespread malicious intent (E.G. shooting multiple people in brief), then that would require a more serious response.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    I admit that I am not huge into the predator side of CM. While I have a base knowledge of the lore and rules, I don’t have the Predator Honor Code as burned into my brain as say CO rules or Marine Law. Still, as I understand this, this is more something to be reported and argued on the forums and falls under the Whitelist Council’s purview. Much of the ahelps around this are edge cases, or a result of the aggrieved party not knowing Honor Code. I’d intervene if it was only exceptionally egregious (Like, just killing everyone shipside somehow), but much of that is out of my hands, and if it ever got to that level odds are good other people would already be on it.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    I’d either ask one of the other mentors to go SEA to help them, or if I am not yet in the round, I’d be more than happy to go in as SEA to help show them the ropes myself. (I grinded out MP hours for SEA for a reason)

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Well, it’s possible that I am just being a moron and completely failing to do my job as a Moderator. While I hope that would never happen, in that case, I would ask for input from the staff, or just tell them to make a new ahelp if I am utterly unable to help for some reason. I don’t believe I can call in other people on the same ahelp though, much less call in an Admin+ for every complaint. More likely, however, this is just someone being toxic for the sake of it, in which case I would apply a note, and advise them to take it to the forums if they are concerned with my conduct.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    Tell them that it is not acceptable within CM’s name standards, and offer to change the name to something they would prefer, or if need be just set it to something random. This is usually a case of people just not knowing any better, so no need to take out the big guns. If someone chooses to make their name something Sseth-tidey (I’d rather not write any examples here, but y’all know what I mean), that is a more serious issue.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    IC issue, odds are they are an agent or something too. Unless they start shooting people, this is a situation for the MPs to handle.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    Although I have my concerns about the removal of hostile survivors, those are the rules and I can’t change them. Also important to note, that if someone rolls survivor and survives long enough to fight marines, odds are they are experienced enough to know better. In this case I would PM the survivor to make sure there isn’t another reason (say, event, or they were shot first), and go from there. Odds are a note is in order, or a ban after repeat offences. As for the dead marine, as I understand it the current policy is that we don’t undue damage like that, but if allowed to Aheal, and the circumstances were right, I probably would.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    Would need to PM the MP for their perspective, but if the situation is as the player described it, then the MP has violated Illegal Confinement under Marine Law, and an MP violating Marine Law is a server rule break as well. If this was the MP’s first incident like this, I would probably tell them what the proper procedure was and leave it at a note, but if this was an experienced MP or someone with a history of similar notes, that would have to be taken more seriously.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    Likely nudge DEFCON, or find some other way to speed the round towards its conclusion. In this case, a QM call to action would probably be the way to go, as the taking of the planet is usually a good sign that the bugs are winning, and they will get more larva by hijacking. Forcing round end, however, is a hard no go, as has been upheld by recent Staff Report rulings.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Using staff powers to resolve my own IC situation is a HARD no go. Ideally, I could resolve this by talking to them IC or in LOOC. If it got really serious I would probably ask another staff member to come take a look at it.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    As the current round end rulings stand, the IC round continues even when the OOC round has concluded. Essentially, the Marine was still fighting a hostile entity boarding his ship and is well within the rules to do so. If another CLF was hitting his friends with a lunge mine or something, that would be a break of EORG, but a Marine v CLF engagement is fine.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    If this were midgame, I would be inclined to say that this is mostly an IC issue, that should be handled by calling the MPs. However, as this is round start shenanigans, I would PM the player telling them to stop, and if it was serious leave a note and maybe a warning. I wouldn’t consider anything more serious unless they started attacking with genuine weapons or something though.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Sounds like a case of improper escalation to me. I’d send over the escalation rules, and put a note down on this. If they have a history of behavior like this, that would be more concerning, but this does seem to me just to be a sign of not knowing the rules on escalation.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    Tell them to stop in MOOC, and to ahelp if they wish to join a mutiny. Given that they already have a large group, presumably, they met the personage requirement to request a mutiny. Odds are this is just angry marines getting a bit too excited, and can be resolved fairly easily by setting up a real mutiny. I’d also PM the mutiny leader (assuming there is a definitive one, and if there isn’t one tell them they need one in MOOC as well).

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    While personally, I find CM’s rules around this to be far too lax, I think still I would have to take this case by case. Stuff like Juro’s character has always been a little up in the air but generally is ruled in favor of. Anything besides that though would be a hard violation of Rule 3, and I would tell them to stop it immediately.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    That’s an easy grief/or someone really, really new. Probably a short ban, unless this is after doing the same thing recently. I saw a mod response to a different question saying something along the lines of “we don’t undo damage,” but in this case I feel an aheal is in order.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    It's possible they just didn't know the map or generally what they were doing, in which case I would PM them to ask what happened. If they were new, I would try to explain why that was a bad move (my one and only CM ban was for something vaguely similar, and I get not understanding it as a new player). If it was a more experienced player though, than that would be a note/warning, and of course a check for history of similar actions and so on.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    Both LRP, under various reasons for each. PM telling them to stop, and a note should be fine. Lord knows we have all gotten LRP notes for less.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    The rule used to be Metal Bird, Fire Tube, Metal Turtle, etc. But now using English terms in the hive is fair game, and I would let the ahelper know. However, for non hivemind communication, they should try to put in a little more effort, especially when not in combat or anything.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    Man, if there is one Roleplay rule that has changed the most in my time with CM (well before the character of Ellis), it has to be this. As I understand it right now, humans are aware of the existence of the Xenomorphs, but the expected contact is CLF or perhaps UPP if you really want to push it. I would PM the staff player and let them know this, and that any reference to expected contact should be based around human contact, but odds are it’s not a huge thing unless it is a really senior command member.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    Oooh, that is a tough one. I would say that this is one of the few IC situations where an argument could be made for killing a fellow marine without it being a roleplay/rule violation, but only in dire circumstances (i.e. bugs about to overrun them, or having tried every other way to get them out of the pod). Obviously that includes the expectation of having escalated properly. Just blasting someone is a no-go.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    While I am honored that someone knows me well enough OOC, I would tell them to take it to the forums if they had a serious report for me/my conduct. Odds are though, this is just someone venting about something else, and while this isn’t the healthiest way to do it, I can understand it. Using language like retard is a no go, but just calling me an idiot I would probably allow. I have no shame in admitting that I am, in fact, an idiot more often than I would like. If they were to be abusive in PMs, that is a note-able issue, but otherwise ok.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    It’s a tough break, but that is the point of shipside cryo. If you go SSD in the middle of nowhere, that kind of stuff is gonna happen. No response needed here, or just a small response advising them to find a safe spot in the future.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    Always got to remember, that accidents do happen and no-one is perfect. Ideally, I can just advise them on the proper way to handle something, and I would ask that other staff do the same for me. If need be, I would ask someone for a senior to help them too, assuming I am unable to myself.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    I would tell the aggrieved staff to take it to higher staff if they think an unjust decision has been made, or wait for an appeal/report to be made. Not everything is cut and dry, but a unified front is important, and when a decision is made, it’s made. Other than that I would try to stay well away from this situation.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    CM is really the only game like it, and one of my personal favorites of all time. I want to improve it any way I can. Also maybe this will reduce the messages from Pfanner telling us to apply for mod.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Patience followed closely by the ability to maintain chill. When someone is ranting about someone else or you in an ahelp, just about the worst thing you can do is stoop down to that level. Also just taking the time to learn the context of a situation.

Anything else you
    Same as what others have said, I was light on some answers as I would need to see some more definite staff rulings on when to ban and not to ban, but I have probably lurked on enough staff/player reports to know what is and isn’t cool.
    Last edited by BatHoovyDood; 02-16-2021 at 07:48 AM.

Whitelisted Captain BatHoovyDood's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 things for y'all. First I would like to thank Tio, Ludox235, Sniperpilot1, Salvador Donalonzio (Fortelian), and especially Atomic Galaxy for helping me with this application. Y'all are some kings.

Second, to expedite the process, here are the notes I have that I know of, thanks to Jarek for helping me out. (All spelling and grammar is unchanged from the original notes)

Round Start Shenangians, caused a delay and ended up inciting a small riot and getting arrested for interfearing with an arrest. Warning issued, jobban on next offense. on 2019-08-13 00:00:00

Suicided as larva. Instantly logged out before i can PM them. Applying Job Ban on 2019-08-14 00:00:00

Banned from Alien - Reason stated above. on 2019-08-14 00:00:00

Banned from Queen - Reason stated above on 2019-08-14 00:00:00
    Xenobans lifted as per //showthrea...(Job-Role-Ban) on 2019-08-24 00:00:00

Shares the same IP address with ckey DekoToast - OOC brother as per own statement. on 2020-12-18 18:28:09

Warned for LRP, claimed it "was only a matter of time" (???), PFC Charles 'Boston' Ellis (follow) says, "CRINGE" on 2020-12-19 00:07:47

Warned for LRP, said it was taken out of context. He was discussing about old internet slang IC with a PO. SGT Charles (?) 'Boston' Ellis (follow) [Command (CT)] says, "Le trollface" on 2021-01-12 21:48:16
    Last edited by BatHoovyDood; 02-16-2021 at 07:50 AM.
    - Squad Leader Cassandra 'Boston' Ellis (and overconfident CO)

(Probably already dead)

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guy I've been hang'n out with ya for so damn long now I know yer a good man.

Dedicated, understanding, and kind in this community which takes that all for granted.

Staff will pick at the application but you have my full support. Keep this server safe and enjoy staff if yer accepted above all else.

+1 from Retired Moderator Trainer

Commanding Officer Council Member Superreallycoolguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, me, a Superreallycoolguy here. After looking over your answers, most seem to be fine enough. Though the ones I have some gripes with is what happens if staff argue or someone gives out a wrong punishment or ruling. If two staff are arguing, stay out of it and report it to management after, there is no need to create more of a hectic space. With the case of a wrong ruling, if they refuse to take advice and such, also report it to management if nobody higher than them is there to correct it.

But that's ez stuff, honestly I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get moved to a trial
    +1
    I Play Karl 'Ausbruch' Walz
    CO Council Member, Discord Is Dargus#4831, DM Your CO Questions

Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent answers! I hope to see you on the team +!. By the way mods can't mess with DEFCON

Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Superreallycoolguy pointed out, your answers are pretty solid aside from a few minor things that would be difficult for you to answer correctly without proper training. I believe that you could certainly do well in the moderation team, and I hope to see you there.

+1

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good man +1 good beno shooter. Good mentor too. You'll do great.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen you a bunch of times, a trustworthy guy and the questions are mostly fine.

+1

I hope to see you
    "Come on chaps! Why just dust off the OB flames it'll create. Nothing the USCM can't handle!"
    Currently playing as a sublimely gentlemanly British chap: Warris 'Haig' Fernsby

Whitelisted Captain BatHoovyDood's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I'd just like to thank all of you for giving your support, and schalkguy for the piece on DEFCON. And while I deny all Fortelian's allegations of me being good at playing CM, I do appreciate it.
    - Squad Leader Cassandra 'Boston' Ellis (and overconfident CO)

(Probably already dead)

Whitelisted Synthetic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following the rest of the squad here. Clean player, eastern zoner like me.
    +1
    Synthetic Whitelist - Brian Predator Whitelist - Baln'frim Arvhek
    Trial Moderator: 3/29/2020 - 4/4/2020 || Moderator: 4/4/2020 - 7/16/2020 || Moderator: 2/12/2021 - 5/27/21 || Discord Staffmember: 2/28/21 - 5/27/21
    Logs filed for reports: 5

Discord: rin#0142
    Moderation Staff