0 Thread(s)

Classic cm and nostalgia

sip. remember back when queen died in 1 hedp. I did lol

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember when medical was challenging and a burst lung was a difficult test of a doctor's skills.

Multilarva, shrapnel removal, organ damage, bones refracturing above 40 brute, necro, infections...

Good times.
    Felix the Synth: hat fanatic, nice robot, one time double agent almayer synth executed for sedition. Occasional murderous mopbot.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when I first played doctor. I ended up killing someone from necro, a lot of necro. You had to wash your hands basically everytime or risk your patient gettin necro and then dying. It was harsh but dammint it added something. It made you think. Now these dam zoomers with their bone mend in a pill and 2 auto surgery. You also had a bizillion dam hugger infections becuase the carrier could instant apply the stuff and everyone kept getting infected. Kept you busy. AND YOU HAD TO CHECK FOR MULTI. Dear god if you got a dam bald doc with a hugger. GG your round. Everyone would be god dam borgs by late game becuase those ravs would litter LV with dam hands and feet. Limbs came of easier those days. You had to give tram for everything or your patient also with shit themselves and be stuck in pain crit. Now you got these dam super marines.

Used to have a harsher req. You basically got only the frist req points and everything else was good luck. The system was points instead of money and looked nicer. God dam mortar was too expensive for literally anything before it got changed. Used to bust specs balls for begging for more ammo, dammint only if you live past 5 minutes. Everyone sucked up the mags like they were a vacuum and you had Line Hell. But Line Hell built community around the line. Had to talk to others. Felt like req existed and did something besides be the magical metal fairy. Req is a shell.

God dam game is a shell.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being crushed by the drop pod on the almayer, it was a nice way to start my first ever round.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah I remember when flamers were first introduced as an actual marine weapon instead of something you could craft and the queen wasn't fire proof it was awesome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My memory is a bit shitty so excuse me if I get some things wrong, but I remember quite a few things somewhat vividly...
    * Bridge Officers (Staff Officers were called Bridge Officers back then) had to manually assign everyone to a squad at the start of the round.
    * Atmos still existed and the main map was a repurposed boxstation really really early on, I mean back when CM was still attatched to... Uriststation I think. It was possible to space entire parts of the map if you were a dumbass or a smart alien. Xenos started in research which was a good hive spot with only a few safe entrances inside. Marines often used the bar as a forward holding spot. If this sounds familiar, this is because Solaris has an extremely similar (in broad strokes) design to boxstation. I know if you compare the medbay layout and the bar layout to box, there will be quite a few similarites. I dunno if that's on purpose though.
    * You had to get attatchments from REQ instead of just vending your attachies from the squad vendors. Req was always chaos and there were more than a few grenade FF incidents. Everybody laughed when PFC Urist McBadass demanded two barrel chargers and a full box of grenades.
    * Orbital Bombardments were not called in by giving command cooridinates. You instead had to place a beacon down manually, similar to a sentrygun or those fancy telsa coils we have now, which made it a lot more difficult to do offensive OB's but allowed marines to be sneaky in their glassing of the planet. I kinda remember an early round of Solaris where the marines managed to decimate a xeno push by hiding their OB beacon just behind the frontline walls.
    * Speaking of walls, there were no cades. The closest thing to cades was flipped tables. Fortifications were made out of walls and grilles, and if an engineer was particularly sneaky, they could set up wires beneath grilles and injure any xenos trying to break through.
    * Ice is nice. The only remenants of ice in current code is the heat coifs and the few snowy sections on... *checks wiki*.. Corsat. Ice was a map which was absolutely nasty for either side, because the ONLY way to the hive were a few ladders and two elevators dotted around the map. It was an absolute bloodbath for both sides, but still fun as hell if you didn't mind sitting in the snow waiting for either suicidal orders or suicidal xenos. There was once a round of ice that went for an entire DAY. Really just pure trench warfare. I kinda miss it, but at the same time really don't.
    * Hugger combat. Any xeno could open up an egg and carry a hugger, allowing all sorts of shenanigans with runners or lurkers (back then called hunters) pouncing on marines, planting a hugger on their face, and dragging them into the darkness never to be seen again.
    * Xenos could also drag dead bodies, allowing them to drag dead marines away from ressuruction into the darkness never to be seen again.
    * Really early on, Marines could only be revived via cloning. I believe that in the period between cloning removal and the additon of defib, there was no way to revive marines, so people feared for their lives a lot more.
    * When Xenos won on planet and went up to the ship (back then the Sulaco), there was no hijacking. The shuttle went back up to the designated spot in the hangar. No crashes, no stuns, none of that. This meant the marines knew where the aliens were going to be every time they hijacked, letting them set up nasty defenses. I mean truly nasty, we once essentially had a firing line and entire backpacks of grenades to empty into the dropship. The all guardsmen party would've been proud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardedWall View Post
    Remember when medical was challenging and a burst lung was a difficult test of a doctor's skills.

Multilarva, shrapnel removal, organ damage, bones refracturing above 40 brute, necro, infections...

Good times.
    I miss how much more you had to do in medbay - was fun building a rep as the one of the go to docs / CMOs who could patch up a marine torn to shreds in only a couple minutes. Now, it's so streamlined it's not as much an achievement to be able to fix up someone with a popped lung, damaged organs and a missing limb.
    Last edited by 6DIRTY; 06-03-2021 at 01:43 AM.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when average rounds lasted more than 45 minutes and always had something for you to do because the mappers didn't force you to go through atrocious chokepoints or bust your balls trying to climb over some stupid platform or a ledge. Not to mention the old voting system, which allowed players to enjoy the map they wanted the most instead of being forced to play one that accumulated 50 votes in the span of 16 hours thanks to, presumably, the one guy who made it, voting it.

when we had no vehicles, stims or armor types at all and the combat was as gritty as it could get with instant tackles, no directional assist, BC shotguns and extremely unforgiving permanent damage.

when marines had value and weren't just expendable NPC fodder

when powergaming was seen as being clever

when we could freely say one of the 700 bot censored words on the discord

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicInDisquise View Post
    * When Xenos won on planet and went up to the ship (back then the Sulaco), there was no hijacking. The shuttle went back up to the designated spot in the hangar. No crashes, no stuns, none of that. This meant the marines knew where the aliens were going to be every time they hijacked, letting them set up nasty defenses. I mean truly nasty, we once essentially had a firing line and entire backpacks of grenades to empty into the dropship. The all guardsmen party would've been proud.

It still amazes me that this wasn't abused or misused for so long.

I remember when it became an issue was primarily engineers setting up e-grilles around the shuttle and other explosives. The specific round that caused us to start working on random crashing was when 4 marines held off at least 20 Xenos just by walling off the exits and dumping explosives into the shuttle as it landed.

Oh and the shuttle did stun you, but only if you were on the shuttle when it landed so Xenos would basically land stunned and then get bombarded.

Edit: I also recall marines falling back to the ship for defensive measures started becoming a huge META as well. Where as originally most players/marines would die on the planet/station so the xeno's landing on the ship was more or less just a mop up at that point. However it became clear that holding out on the ship was far advantageous and became a huge issue.
    Last edited by Fewher; 06-03-2021 at 05:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss choo choo train crushers. That is all.