Synthetic Whitelist Application
    Personal InformationByond ID?
    Pahndoomack

Marine Name
    Alberto 'Topper' Staffer

Other Whitelist Applications
    Character InformationName of the Synth Character you wish to play
    Jacobs

What is your Synth�s quirk and personality?
    Jacobs is a mixture between two service personalities, that of a butler, taking influence from the more noble view of them as dutiful and well mannered helper. As well as the ideas of something you'd expect of a night shift worker at a gas station. Jacobs possesses a natural bedside manner while also having limited ability to be humorous as a result of his "Underpaid Employee" outlook on his existence.

Why do you want to be a synthetic/why should we whitelist you?
    I'm interested in the role as a fun way to branch out and play a fun character, as well as the ability to fulfill supporting tasks for Marines. I've felt frustration being limited to only one role when I could easily do so many others at the same time and think that Synths are perfect to hit that itch.

Synthetic Character Story
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Scream at me with multiple profanities if the link doesn't work.

ExperienceHow familiar are you with Engineering?
    As one of my first and favored roles among the majority of SS13, I've become quite familiar with it and invested a lot of time into it. Can effectively do every job a synth would tasked with such as:
    -Repairing power systems and marine equipment.
    -Constructing defenses.
    -All powerloader related tasks such as loading the OB and assisting CAS.

How familiar are you with Command?
    Whitelisted as CO and is one of my most actively played departments.
    I understand ML to an extensive degree as to not cause any law breaks and to enforce it without breaking the law myself.

How familiar are you with Medical?
    Countless hours as squad medic and good experience with doctor.
    -I understand most surgical steps without needing to refer to the wiki.
    -Can run the chemline for the majority of things such as IA, KD, TB, and various unga mixes.
    -Efficiently able to bring a marine back from just about anything in the field.
    -Able to solo medbay if needed.

How familiar are you with Requisitions?
    Done CT in the past as well as lots of work involving requisitions as Command staff. Able to provide support for marines through this by:
    -Being able to provide effective supply shipments.
    -Being able to independently run requisitions while balancing the budget.

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.
    Though a synth's main job is support the marines, and they should focus on helping marines fight better, rather than doing the fight for them, there are combat situations required of synths at times.
    -Being trapped in a position which you cannot move out from without eliminating a threat, giving yourself an opening to disengage as soon as possible.
    -A crippled marine is being engaged by xenos, moving to help disengage the marine from the fight and prevent the permanent death of the Marine while at the same time avoiding putting yourself at risk of death.
    -Non-lethal defense against marines attempting to damage yourself or another marine, disarming the hostile marine of their weapon or disengaging as fast as possible and having MPs deal with the problem.

ConfirmationsAre you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
    Yes

Do you understand that you cannot advertise your application on any platform for votes. Do you also understand you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?
    No

Are you currently banned from our Discord, and if so, why?
    No

Other InformationDo you have anything else you would like to include about your application?
    No.

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This quirk does not work at all. It contradicts itself. First, being dutiful and well mannered is something that is in general expected of synthetics, it doesn't work as a personality quirk because there's nothing outstanding about a synth who's polite and helpful. We have synths with sass, synths that speak with phrases of certain thick, antique english accents, or use phrases from another language entirely (all in moderation of course, so that marines can actually understand what the synth's saying), synths being a bit overzealous about conversing about a specific set of topics etc etc. But they're all at their core well mannered and dutiful. Why? Because the synth rules themselves require everyone to act that way - you cannot insult nor antagonize humans belonging to the USCM faction, so if they're antagonizing you or greatly annoying you, the best one can do is reply with something acerbic and witty or just ignore them.

Second, your synth's personality, as you described it word for word, does not mesh with itself at all. He takes inspiration from the butler stereotype as a polite and hardworking person, but also mixes that with the stereotype of a late night gas station worker and emulating the personality of an underpaid worker. Which would mean, someone unhappy with their lot in life, disgruntled, possibly sociopathic and maybe even having authority issues? Alongside being someone no-one likes talking to because of their sheer unpleasantness. You cannot be both well mannered and an asshole at the same time, it's either-or, and a synth being an asshole to everyone won't fly.

Moving on to the story, synths have no rank, meaning they don't have a paygrade. They weren't "hired" like you hire a marine, they don't have a salary and don't get paid. Ingame synths have a bank account with an arbitrary amount of money on it, I don't recall that having any fluff behind it - once when I was still pretty new to the WL myself I participated in an event where I used my ability as the only marine able to understand tradeband to speak and trade with some shipside traders, but I digress. The synth talks about getting paid, then gets called a slave (!!!) in the next couple sentences. The story in general has a decent amount of dialogue which is good, but it gets broken up by narrative descriptions of random stuff that has no real bearing on the story or anything related to your synth character. It's very awkward to read.

I know you have the potential to be a good synth player but this quirk choice and story just won't work out at all. I wanna see someone vouch for your medical ability, but the rest of the app is good though, so I'm reluctant to -1 this. If you can come up with a new good quirk and a story that showcases it really well, I think this could work out. But we'll have to see what jakk says.
    Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the synth personality and quirk feel a bit ununique and almost like something everyone would go to for writing synth... I know that personalities and work may not be shown all the time but you have many moment that the said trait can be shown, it's subtle and not everyone may know it but if your quirk is being very polite and helpful. that's not a quirk, that's just being nice, you're
    a nice CO for sure. but I don't think a butler synth will sell me it, Unless there's nothing else worth it for synth quirk. correct me if I'm wrong-1

Commanding Officer Council Member Pahndoomack's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the very detailed input Rem, you bring up a lot of good points, especially for the writing of the story. I checked with a few people including Synth WL'd and it mostly seemed positive before I posted. I'll definitely look into revising the story, and I think I could do a better job explaining the quirk. I'd like to wait a bit more for more feedback before I begin work on a new story and quirk, but I'm open to it should it come down to it.

As to the medical reputation, I've been working on playing doctor and squad medic more actively lately in US CST afternoons.

Overall, thanks again for the feedback, with the weekend coming up I'll have the time to work towards the app a bit more.
    Alberto 'Topper' Staffer
    Sam 'Snake' Creed
    Jack Houser
    Synthetic Jacobs

Discord Pahndoomak#7127

Frankly, stuff.

Synthetic Council Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically what 50Rem said.

Your synth's character and personality will heavily reflect you as a player in-game; you better improve this design beyond the generic butlerman because that gets boring real fast for you and for others.

Synthetic Council Member Yukonsnow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey sorry for the delay.

You story was fine, there were some issues already mentioned but it felt kind of like you were leaning more into the overworked gas station attendant portion which is good, because I like it a lot more than the butler quirk. (Nothing against butler synths, but we have 90) I didn't find Jacobs talking about pay raises and promotions to be anything more than it being a tongue-in-cheek portion of your quirk. so I had no issue with it.

The skill questions were fine too. The list adequately demonstrated your knowledge, and you've been around for a while. Because of this I will trust your ability to not doink up mechanics.

Combat scenarios were correct, nothing more to say.

Overall it will be a +1 from me, I think with the critiques from the other councilors I have faith you'll be a fine synthetic in the byond game. Best of luck to you.
    gaming

Discord: Yukonsnow#7186

Synthetic Technician Dan, message me about any Synthetic WL questions, I'll help as best I can.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wont repeat what yukon said but yea I agree, along as you acknowledge the criticism you've gotten I'm happy to +1 this, though I would like more vouches for your competency
    Nathon Stafford-Sunglasses wearing Delta L42 kiter man. Sometimes a Captain.
    Benedict-Praiser of Jesus, healer of marines, killer of Queens.
    Kahn'Ikesh-Blooded Hunter and great grandson of Gor'don Ram-sey
    (pfp by Manezinho)
    medals:https://pastebin.com/xiCJLuhz
    Mapper since 12/29/2020
    Had dev role assasinated on 8/2/21

Synth Councilor as of 2/5/21 along with Jakk, Frogzeke, Yukonsnow, and Flpls
    DM what#3954 for help with Synth Applications

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alberto and me played a medical round the other day and it didnt really give me any doubts as to his abilities as a doctor. He was able to produce all the requested chems from memory in a fast enough manner. Surgeries went well, knowledge of chems was good and he was able to answer almost all of my stupidly niche and overcomplicated trivia questions. I therefore have trust in his medical abilities ^^ I dont really have much to add to what's been said and, looking at the time that this has been up, I am sure that Alberto has processed and improved upon the aspects deemed failing. Hence I dont really have a problem with giving this a +1

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can vouch for medical skills, engineering is pretty easy so even though I didn't personally see him play MT or squad engineer I am sure he'll be fine.

+1

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alberto is based, he knows his stuff, and he's got support. I'll +1 this. Just remember 'Berto, use your quirk in game.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler: