Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ignominious - Moderator Application

Moderator Application

Personal Information

Byond ID?
    Ignominious

CM Character?
    I am most prominently seen as playing Zayden 'Courier' Agg for the Marines and ZAG-### as a prefix when in league with the Xenomorphs.

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    GMT+11, Australian Eastern Daylight Time.

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    Per the time of me writing this, I'd estimate I'd be available for more than 2 hours a day, possibly 20 a week in the most uneventful of circumstances.

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    Not necessarily, no.

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    For the most part, none other consistently. I've probably been with CM since I first joined SS13 in late 2015 or early 2016-ish and onwards. I've dabbled in other areas, though this particular server has always felt like home.

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    Not to my knowledge.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    Yes. On the 1st of January, 2020 -- last year on a Friday's evening, playing as an Observer on - I think, a Solaris Ridge round, I had ahelp'd my own confession to instances of multi-keying in the presence of then-Moderator JarekTheRaptor and Administrator Forest2001, of which discussed the situation and decided to place a 1-week ban.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    Yes, as stated above. Colonial Marines is the only server I've been banned on for, well, anything. I try to avoid causing trouble.

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    To whichever extent I am capable of, I will try my best to maintain a cohesive connection with any and all relevant parties.

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    Given that not all incidents are derived of deliberate intention, this scenario could entail a variety of contexts.

To name a few, one of, if not, the most likely occurence would probably be that of a "negligent discharge", an act which infringes on Standard Operating Procedure, as any firearms handled shipside outside of the firing range are to be kept holstered to avoid misfirings, unless specific 'emergency' situations entertain exceptions.

If such was the case, especially since this question uses the phrase "randomly", this would be treated as an "IC" (thusly not necessitating staff intervention) or in-character issue and the user responsible would either be scolded by the individuals involved (and probably let go, if it was a minor issue) or brigged (maybe both) with the charge "Failure to Follow Procedure", in the most formal of circumstances, by the MPs handling the situation.

Alternatively, if they did, in fact, go out of their way to directly fire at a fellow marine without any prior instigation of conflicts (insults, petty-tensions, shoves, punches, eventual blunt force of objects / stabbing with objects and eventually ranged ballistics) this would hence fall into multiple possible outcomes.

In the presence of MPs, if the victim was shot directly and without warrant, this would be regarded as a hostile action justifying a charge of "Assault with a Deadly Weapon", given the capacity for "shooting" to cripple, if not kill the target -- and the MPs would then detain and brig the culprit, whom, if not already slept, will probably be and then prompted by staff with questions as to why they deemed such an action appropriate.

If the injuries incurred towards the victim were fatal, they'll probably be ahealed (right click > 'Rejuvenate' verb OR 'Show Player Panel' > General > Rejuvenate) so that they may carry on with the rest of their round, although this action is more often reserved with specificity regarding a case-by-case basis.

For instance, in an ongoing battle, if someone was shot by an ally in the midst of conflict, the issue would likely be disregarded as a "crossfire" incident, as obviously it would be exploitable if marines pretended to shoot one another and for staff to be pro-actively and repetitively ahealing troops who the opposing faction are already trying to harm for their own reasons - however, given that there are MPs, this scenario is probably taking place shipside.

If MPs were not available or present to handle this case, the perpetrator would still likely be aslept (right click > "Toggle Sleeping" verb OR 'Show Player Panel' > General > Miscellaneous > tick "Toggle Sleeping" box) to avoid further escalation and then asked why they had dealt the deed. Depending on the nature of their response, the outcome would, in turn, again, vary from here.

Were their testimony to define an impression of a user whom is contempt-stricken and looking to "grief" the user-victim, either for no reason or because they shared "beef" with them in the past and were looking to 'get back' at them. They would be strongly warned against such behaviour at minimum and then reminded of the server's rules (Rule 2. Roleplay: "don't go shooting people for no reason." / Human Standards, i.e., Sanity. | Rule(s) 3 & 4 "Don't be a dick." / no griefing. | Rule 10. "Escalation" procedures.) and a note would be placed regarding the incident.

If the infringing user was a repeat-offender, they would, again, still be noted, and a ban would likely be placed with a punitive extent based on their history, the minimum probably being 3 hours.

Returning to the premise of this question, if this was all just some generic/trivial accident and the culprit was a misunderstood user, probably a PVT / Private and new to the server, they would likely still be reminded of the rules, and then re-directed to a Senior Enlisted Advisor / the Server's various wiki pages to learn more about how to conduct themselves around others in Colonial Marines and the situation henceforth would be de-escalated as professionally as possible.

On a lesser note, given that this was already being handled by MPs, if someone was to ahelp in regard to this situation after-the-fact, they would likely be deferred with the "IC issue" or "Fixed" auto response, as there are no further pending actions needed to be taken.

Additionally, I would maybe investigate the matter to try and uncover context. If the situation was more serious than intitially anticipated necessary actions would be taken from there. Although if the MPs have it reasonably handled, I'd probably consider it a simple IC issue.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    To my knowledge, whitelist issues are not the concern of Moderators, unless the culprit was very much stepping out of line for reasons unrelated to their role (e.g., 18+ activity / ERP). This would likely be deferred with a request encouraging the user-victim to file a player report on the forums with any evidence they may have if they believed the actions taken against them were genuine infringements.

From there, the respective Council members for the whitelist would handle the issue internally or as deemed fit, and no further action on behalf of Moderation would be necessitated.

No other players or staff may file a report on the victim's behalf, per standard conduct.

Otherwise, their dilemma could easily be the product of an Event being run where the Yautja were permitted to be more aggressive or less restricted, though this is more a lesser possibility than a likelihood, and were it to be the case, Administrative authorities would treat such issues with exception where appropriate or as deemed applicable.

Were this issue raised to me, I would ask/defer them to the forums to file a report themselves there.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    Everyone's been here at some stage.

Unless they were clearly struggling and unbeknownst of the tools and resources available to assist in their learning, no staff are obligated to interfer.

If they mhelp'd or ahelp'd they would then be re-directed, if possible, to an available Mentor OOCly or ICly directed to the nearest available Senior Enlisted Advisor for one-on-one tuition - no further action need be taken through Moderation unless the user starts causing trouble as speculated in question 14.

Although, unless there is some protocal or procedure against it, it wouldn't be harmful to conjure the initiative to ask them if they're in need of help/lost and recommend reading up on the Server's various wiki articles, et cetera.

If I was warranted to intervene, I would, per the vague circumstances, simply defer them to a SEA.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    The number one go-to for such cases would be to conform to a policy of "de-escalation" and cease any actions or behaviours that might be fueling the user's dissatisfaction with how their issue/inquiry is being handled where appropriate.

From here, as the user calms down, staff may further assist them wherever it is warranted.

Otherwise, if the individual is clearly tense and unlikely to settle things with the staff as-is, they may be re-directed to another Moderator+ where deemed necessary.

It is expected that in situations where ahelping would be necessary, individuals involved can be anxious and frustrated. No-one is immune to the need to express/ventilate their concerns and, as such, all persons should be regarded as humanely and professionally as possible, where leeway may be afforded.

If the individual is clearly stepping out of line (making death threats, for whatever reason) they will be sternly warned and reminded of the server rules before being re-directed if and where necessary.

While we're all human beings and staff shouldn't bear victimhood to any form of verbal assault, they themselves should not partake in actions that could further-escalate such tensions. One is to be reminded that they are not alone, and thusly do not inherit the world's problems. It's alright to ask for help where required.

Outside of this, Moderators do not possess enough power to solve "ALL" implications of a situation that may be contributing towards the detriment of players. While we are given applicable powers for most exceptions -- often there are bugs/glitches in the code that could spur a round out of control where more specialized expertise would be necessitated to resolve the circumstances.

As such, I would attempt to de-escalate the matter / defer it to another moderator where applicable.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    This situation may pertain to various rulings regarding CM-SS13's policies. Including but not limited to Rule 2. Roleplay: "Human Roleplay Standards", Rule 3. "Community Expectations" and more specifically Rule. 9 "Character names."

As with such regards, almost every such matter is treated on a "case-by-case" basis. Individuals should not be using stereotypical names or mannerisms that are purposefully offending or acting towards the detriment of religions, races and cultures.

Users are encouraged to pick a name freely for themselves, with those exceptions in mind, one unique to themselves.

Per these considerations, especially in the current era, the Colonial Marines community does try to maintain a degree of realism. It's not unlikely for an individual some-several-centuries in the future to, by mere happenstance, share a common name with an Author or "I.P." character, granted exception where this is more blatant.

Obviously individuals are not permitted to go naming themselves after figures of controversy or political natures such as Donald Trump or expressly, as defined by other art and media in film/video games with characters such as John "Master Chief" CXVII (Bungie's Halo franchise). or Isaac Clark (Dead Space) [I've seen at least 8 users throughout my SS13 play time try to name themselves after that] and any other similar derivatives or stretched inferences.

Although clear indices such as "Roman Numerals" are allowed to within reason.

Personally speaking, I see nothing wrong, on the surface with the name "John Doe", as it appears vaguely basic at a glance.

While one could just go google-searching with specificity regarding any name and label (John Doe could be a pseudonym, a musician's name, and other implications), again, it's not unlikely for individuals to share names used in historical contexts, however, players should not be using the same names as each other, et cetera.

If such an issue were to be raised and I was the one to mark this, I would probably use an AutoResponse such as "Thanks" for raising attention to it, or "Being Handled" to denote that it'll be sorted. I'd then reach out to the presumed offender and inform them that their name supposedly bears resemblance to "insert popular figure" and ask if they would be willing to use another name.

If they are not satisfied with such a big deal being made out of their matter, I would then ask that they still choose a new name (staff may rule, to within reason, where they believe necessary, with exceptions) for the time being and if they believe my concerns to be out of line, to forward their worries in the form of a Staff Report on the Forums against me as a result of my decisions. Where Moderator(s)+ would rule on the issue from there / correct my decision be it ill-placed or misguided.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    Though in a more extreme reach for formality, in the younger years of the Colonial Marines server's history, this would be deemed an out-of-character action as a Maintenance Technician would clearly not need such equipment to do their job, nor would they consider taking such gear for the mere implications that they are simply not necessary (sanity, jobs and roles to conform to) -- no one situation is black and white. There are many grey areas that could be considered.

For instance, perhaps the maintenance tech is simply delivering the gear to their respective confines (firing range, some nearby armory) as a consideration for their clean-up practices.

Maybe they were asked to keep such equipment with them by a superior, as the Chief Engineer in collaboration with the aCO in C-I-C may've ordered for them to deploy and thusly they need protection while in the area of operation.

There could even be an event where there are hostile forces on the Almayer and Moderator(s)+ or MPs/C-I-C have yet to consider the scenarios and have hence yet to take action to acknowledge it (adjust the alert level) and this Maintenance Technician has simply conjured the initiative to take matters into their own hands.

Administrated events have, on occasion, spawned spiders in the A.R.E.S. A.I. core room that need to be cleared out for example, or even hostile faction response teams in HvH circumstances.

Hence, were I to receive and mark an ahelp regarding this, I would simply use the AutoResponse "IC Issue" as this is hardly a pressing matter, much less the worst offending issue in the server's run time.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    Survivors have not been allowed to behave with hostilities towards "friendly" factions for well over 2 years as far as conventional rounds go - "to my knowledge", outside of events.

This is therefore improper conduct as far as they should be acting in the role of Survivor.

Were this issue raised to me, and I to intervene. I would aheal both parties involved if their injuries were serious enough (obviously the marine has been unfairly and injustly killed/potentially removed from the round), from there - then ask them both to de-escalate and sternly warn the survivor player, reminding them of the server rules, if necessary and hope the situation resolves itself from there.

If the survivor continues to stir trouble, I will further question why they believe their behaviour is appropriate and if necessitated, perhaps note them for the irregular behaviour after warning them, yet again.

If they cross the lines as defined by the rules consistently in spite of any attempts at mediation/regulation, I would impose a potential ban (probably 3 hours) in an attempt to dissuade from such conduct as regards to Rule 10. "Lethal Force" / Escalation and Rule 4. "No griefing".

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    This is a much more serious situation when compared with the former and simpler "IC issue" questions and thusly would warrant more moderation on behalf of the attending staff.

Obviously "Permanent Confinement" is not a charge that would be warranted by petty theft, and is an inappropriate charge to place on the user per the circumstances. I would ping the MP(s) responsible and ask why they believed this was appropriate, in an attempt to gain more context.

If the issue was indeed as phrased, I'd tell the MP(s) brigging the prisoner to re-read Marine Law and direct them towards placing a charge of Theft and/or Trespassing instead. Allowing the "Jurisdictional Automated System." to determine the inmate's time to be spent, and hope that the situation sorts itself from there.

There might be exceptions, if Administrative staff / Mods+ want to intervene by sending in an envoy of the Provost to handle things more ICly for the sake of roleplay.

However, if basic intervention was necessitated, simply course-correcting the lack of better judgement regarding the MP's handlings should normally be enough.

If the MPs are adamant about their handlings, I will remind them to re-read Marine Law and potentially impose a job ban if such misconduct was previously noted and/or is consistent.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    These situations are always rife with tedium and tension.

No one faction wants to place themselves at a disadvantage, especially in a server such as CM-SS13 where most rounds tend to be quite competitive.

Personally-speaking, I believe both sides have won their situation for themselves, and would do my best to allow them to resolve it of their own volition. I.e., Xenomorphs remain groundside, marines - being bored, eventually get ordered by C-I-C to attempt a re-deployment and try and sort things out themselves from there.

When the marines are significantly greater in number than xenomorphs in-post of evacuation, such situations are often postulated to be an attempt at meta-gaming.

However, I believe picking sides and trying to win one or the other over wouldn't be a proper way to help either party.

I would probably use a staff announcement or I-C medium such as A.R.E.S. High Command to encourage the marines to re-deploy or as the Queen Mother to encourage the hive to fight to the last. (probably both)

As a standard moderator, I lack the means Admins do to "influence" rounds at discretion such as spawning in reinforcements for both teams, so I mostly believe such circumstances to be out of my control.

As a Moderator standalone, forcing the hand of either party would be unfair, in my opinion -- especially considering that such a position is expected to preserve the server's overall enjoyment. Again, I would not be against encouraging either side to carry on, but I wouldn't necessarily take punitive action in spite of either sides reluctance.

Remembering that such situations are comprized of many grey areas, and not all problems have clear solutions.

I'm kind of on the fence about these issues, to be honest.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    As a participant in this situation and the potential stipulation of the conflict apparent, I would have undeniable victim-bias and any tense of self-righteous resolve of my own accord would more than likely cloud my judgement as far as ruling and moderation goes.

It would be unprofessional of me to take matters into my own hands, and, as such, I would ahelp about it like any other user would and hope that deferring the matter to another member of the staff/moderator(s)+ will be able to resolve the issue from there.

If I was alone, I would still stay my hands, and possibly look towards Discord to see if any other staff are available to enter the round and intervene where necessary.

Nonetheless, as a "medic" in the situation, I would still be able to try and handle things ICly, perhaps informing the Medic that they are making mistakes and to encourage them to be more careful, otherwise, informing my ranked superiors of the predicament and maybe if staff are not available to resolve it from there, MPs can intervene.

Given that even theoretically speaking I'm unsure about how I would "cope" with such a scenario, that is all the more reason that being involved would be no different, short of more nuanced difficulty, especially with tension developing between the uncertainties of myself and others regarding the culprit.

As such, I am neither obligated nor expected/required to "moderate" in this case, and would do my best to have an unbiased member of the staff take this matter into consideration.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    Hostile factions are granted exception to the end-of-round-grief fire/harm restrictions placed OOCly at the conclusion of a round, at least, when confronting "enemies" of their team(s), and are thusly "free game" as far as the conflict between oppositions stems.

This is proper escalation, as far as lore, gameplay and rules are concerned and I am not required to intervene.

I would probably use the AutoResponse "IC Issue" or inform them of these such reasons were they to inquire further regarding these concerns.

No action is necessary, as far as I'm aware.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    Depending on the extremes of the circumstances I would probably defer this as an "IC issue" were this matter raised to me. HOWEVER, bearing certain exceptions in mind, it is deemed low roleplay, or at least, some minor degree of griefing to be interferring with the preparation of other players as the round start is underway, coined under the term "roundstart shenanigans".

If prompted, I would ping the culprit and question them as to why they took such action and why they deemed it appropriate. From there, remind them of the server rules and ask them to cease the tom-foolery.

Should they persist in their antics and/or ignore my attempts to reach and intervene in their efforts, I would asleep them and yet again attempt to confront them. Again, reminding them of the rules and informing them that their conduct is both unwarranted and not allowed.

If they continue to ignore me from there or "ghost" and exit their client as some griefers tend to do, I would leave a note regarding the irregular behaviour.

If their behaviour is historically consistent, I would also perhaps impose a ban regarding the seriousness of the events if it was warranted.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    This is a cut and done case of "Improper Escalation" as far as the rules are concerned. It is deemed inadequate roleplay, as much as improper player conduct, to go straight from minor physical exchanges to outright killing other users.

I would probably aheal both parties and remind both sides of the server rules, asking each to cease such conduct.

Depending on the seriousness of the worst offender's actions, I may consider leaving a note.

If such behaviour is historically consistent, I would probably impose a ban if necessitated by the need for moderation.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    There are many, MANY grey areas to be considered regarding such situations. However, the most consistent and more proficient action to be taken would be to OOCly announce to Marines that there is an "improper" mutiny being arranged and that any parties involved are to disband and cease their efforts until it is ahelp'd and organized through the expected mediums.

If they continue to go about such behaviour, I'd probably asleep in sight where the majority of conflict is suspected and again OOCly remind them that what they are doing is against the rules / procedures and perhaps start handling the issue on a case-by-case basis between users with notes/bans if things are to escalate more seriously.

Otherwise, if one player eventually does ahelp regarding the matter and claims to be leading the mutiny and with an acceptable following, I would assign them as a Mutineer leader (right click > Show Player Panel > Antag > "Make Mutineering Leader" verb) so they can begin recruiting for the mutiny and continue to handle things ICly in a much more formal arrangement.

Such circumstances, especially regarding greater player populations are often quite a handful, so this would more than likely be handled in collaboration with fellow staff.

Although, understandably, in low pop and standalone as a single Moderator, things would be much more restrictive.

Again, the outcomes and solutions would more than likely vary case-by-case.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    In the present era of Colonial Marines, we've since scaled back quite a bit regarding the tolerance for such things beyond petty "roleplay" amongst gung-ho and unruly marines. Depending on the seriousness of the situation, if a party was especially offended by such antics, I would ask those involved to tone it down or cease completely.

Otherwise, I would remind the victim about the "roleplay" expectations of marines in the Colonial Marines server, and that some low brow humoured mediums are or were once considered a staple between wryly marines stepping on each others' toes before being met with the constrast of much harsher realities of war.

Such scenarios would more than likely vary dependent on the implications and actions needed to resolve the situations, so it would be treated on a case-by-case basis and hopefully resolved ICly.

I would personally just remind those involved about the rules and would hope they take others into consideration before spiralling down the loop holes of such activities.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Alright, professionalisms aside, this sounds like a very blatant case of griefing. I would, without a doubt leave a note regarding the extremes taken regarding their behaviour on their ckey and impose a griefing ban varying depending on the extent of their activities.

I don't know what the standards are for bans, but I'm sure this would be at least 3 hours.

If within my power or expected of me, I'd probably investigate further to see if this is a repeat incident as quite a few griefers attempting broad shenanigans such as these often multi-key in effort to maintain their antics.

If the ckey was indeed associated with others, I would consult Moderator(s)+ and Admins regarding the incident and perhaps arrangements would be made to handle things from there (I.e., procedures for filing for perma' bans).

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    As always, there are often grey areas regarding these situations. It's not uncommon for larva to rush to the front given the T0 caste's mobility so they can evolve at a later time there. Some players try to gauge the conflict's situation to better understand what form would be more useful depending on the circumstances. Though, ideally, they would achieve this via watching through other user's views via the Hive Mind and not witnessing the tip of the spear through their more vulnerable shell.

Mistakes among any parties and players are common practice. I've seen my fair share of larva not seemingly intending to be thrown into the crossfire of marines only to be hit some ten or fifteen tiles away by a stray bullet or artillery-strike via Mortar/CAS who clearly were not trying to get themselves killed to disadvantage their faction.

Given the implicit wording of this question, it does appear this is supposedly a deliberate case. I would ping the individual responsible and remind them of both the server rules and their expectations as a player, noting them for the incident if necessary and potentially imposing a Xenomorph ban as most users who suicide-larva often are met with.

These are usually case-by-case, in my opinion, but the room for variance isn't too broad.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    At this rate, in the present CM, people will make light of almost any situation. If others were growing tired of their beheaviour or ahelp'd the issue for the sake of maintaining their "immersion", I would then step in to take action accordingly.

I would ping the individual regarding their behaviour, asking them why they believe it was appropriate before reminding them of the server rules and IC expectations of them both as a player and in their role.

I would remind them that "Netspeak" or low roleplay acronyms (within reason) are not tolerated in communication amongst other players as a Xenomorph and to cease such behaviour.

If they continue to slip up or they have a note history of similar activity, I will leave a note regarding the repeat infringement and based on the seriousness of the case, potentially impose a Xenomorph role ban if necessary -- again, varying between circumstances.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    It's been years since we ditched the First Contact Rules of Engagement and entailed roleplay considerations/expectations regarding such terminology.

As defined in the forums/wiki and administrative guidelines, the words of Xenomorphs are not necessarily direct verbal exchanges, but how information is best interpreted gameplay wise between themselves as players and through the hivemind ICly. There are still exceptions, especially regarding netspeak and "genuine" LRP.

However, players are not punished simply for calling the Alamo/Normandy a "shuttle" in place of Metal Bird or Tank/APC instead of "turtle".

At least, not anymore -- "to my knowledge."

Were this inquiry raised towards me, I would mark it and render it NR (no response necessary) and allow the players to continue on with their round uninterrupted.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    While in this current situation of the Server, marines are no longer judged via "First Contact" guidelines, even though Xenomorphs are lorewise understood as a presence in the Universe, they are not directly inferred to be the "reason" for the distress beacon marines have been brought onboard to stop.

In-character wise, marines can still speculate what they're up against, or even defer the seriousness of the engagement to nothing more than a C-L-F insurgency.

However, it is still often deemed "meta" to casually be inferring that they are always up against XX-121 outbreaks.

OOCly-wise, this isn't too much of an issue, it would probably be overlooked most of the time.

Personally, I see no problem with it, as the majority of the player base often understands the gist of the usual gameplay loops.

Unless more rules/guidelines started clamping down on such incidents or the C-I-C players were especially "blatant" in their mannerisms regarding such things, I wouldn't think too much of it, much less intervene.

Again, it's probably nothing more than an "IC" or in-character issue, as, again, whatever is "known" to be down "there" is up to the speculation of the marines on an individual perspective basis.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    It's difficult to intervene in such cases during the tension of Delta Alerts and everyone hurrying to avoid the Xenomorphs. I've heard of situations where Staff deemed this an IC issue or got on the case of the offender and reminded them of the rules and that this behaviour is not tolerated and there may or may not be consequences if they continue to act this way in additional rounds -- However, most of the time other players will agree that this is a Rule 3/4 situation and "griefing/being a dick" to circumvent the expectations/enjoyment of another player in a round is simply unacceptable.

I would possibly follow in suit as for regards and ping the culprit, reminding them of the server rules and ask that they not do this, again -- potentially leaving a note if this is a repeat offense or outstand-ish incident.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Personally speaking, I couldn't care less what another player thinks of me on an emotional basis. If their criticism is genuine and how I handled an issue was, indeed, flawed. I would take their concerns to heart and reflect on ways I can better my conduct and improve how I handle things more consistently.

Otherwise, if they're simply just throwing around defamation or petty insults, it's hardly an issue. If I broke down into frustration every time someone thought less of me, I doubt I'd've stuck around in this server for as long as I have.

People get on each other's nerves all the time. It's alright to understand when such behaviour is unwarranted, but that's just life.

Again, I'm not really bothered by these sorts of things.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    Simply put, an "IC issue".

While it is understandable that people won't be vigilant 24/7 in a server where rounds can take up to 1 to 4 hours, this user has still made the decision to participate and if they are absent-minded or unavailable, they still made the decision to join when they probably knew they wouldn't be able to maintain activity.

As such, they kind of brought this on themselves.

Ahead of time they could've ahelped to staff that they had to go and thusly be cryo'd if they were physically unable to play or I-R-L held more demands, but they can usually take pre-emptive action when A-F-K, such as sitting in the safe confines of a barricaded perimeter or the LZ-FOB, or perhaps consider sitting in the medical lobby shipside before endeavouring to return to the fray.

Otherwise, again, no staff intervention is necessary here. Nor would it be very professional to be a life line to the negligence of other individuals.

If this was brought to my attention I would use the AutoResponse "IC Issue". If they inquired further, I would explain the implications of abandoning the server as an active role, even if for merely a moment, and try my best to outline why this had or could['ve] happen[ed]. Furthermore, I'd try to neutrally state to them that this should be considered a learning opportunity for them and try not to make a big deal about it.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    As a moderator, my responsibility is to preserve the enjoyment of the player base, not to govern-alone or police / rule lawyer other individuals.

If an individual was incorrect in their actions and intervention on my behalf was "necessary" (more than likely isn't), I would try to slip in headers without downplaying their commitment or dignity.

With phrases such as "hey, did you try [blank]." or "we had this issue earlier today, some folks did [blank] to handle it and it mostly worked out." et cetera.

As a fellow staff member, I am partaking in a team. I am just as a capable of being flawed or riddled with my own values and perceptions as any other individual.

If a fellow Moderator is out of line, it is not my duty to "regulate" them. That is the duty of the respective Staff Managers and player base to report and manage exception-cases.

Again, moderators are in this together. Everyone should be able to pitch in to try and help the server to the best of their abilities without being told it's "not good enough" or sub-standard.

As human beings, we are to ethically play the part as equals to allow others to learn from their mistakes and develop beyond them.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    This is not my concern. They have endeavoured to handle an issue and have taken the action they believed necessary to resolve it, in accordance with their perception of how the rules should be enforced. It is up to Management to determine how things should be conducted. If the Staff member was, indeed, mistaken in their efforts -- the playerbase is free to file a Staff Report to raise concerns with competency.

Otherwise, I should not be actively tearing down or dissuading from another's sense of capability simply because I disagree. In retrospect, I may have or may eventually happen upon similar misteps and I ought to treat others how I would like to be treated.

While the modicum of "be the better person" can be pretentious at times, one still cannot understate the importance of being fair to one another.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    I've been playing CM on-and-off for maybe half a decade at this rate, if not more. I've witnessed the server through its ups and downs, had the fortune of meeting and sharing many wonderful experiences in the Server with others and am adamant about continuing to participate.

Personally-speaking. As this opportunity presents itself, I would like to put my foot forward and offer to help pitch in if there's anything I can do to help the server operate.

Especially in the favour of preserving the enjoyment of the playerbase and ensuring the longevity of the community's capacity to continue to do so.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    I could probably pick out any fish in the barrel of sentiments, phrases and values to accentuate the standards and potential for Moderators as a role, however, if there was one thing I'd make note of -- it's the humanity in them as individuals.

We are all people, both staff and players just looking to kill time or looking to derive enjoyment from sharing a stream of epic episodes and shenanigans with other individuals, and if there is anything that can be done to make the most of it, it's the capacity for staff to recognize what works and to stray away from factors that could detract from those experiences and/or negatively impact them.

I believe we can all recognize the benevolence in one another and strive to maintain positive relations as both a community and playerbase, looking out for the best to each their own and in all fairness.

Anything else you
    Though my time table is quite free right now, I-R-L -- As many of us have learned, especially last year, things can be subject to change.

I am willing to try my best to help out in whatever ways in which I am capable of, and will be grateful for any chance to pitch in.

I look forward to any questions you may have or clarifications that may be required.

Thank-you, kindly, for your time and consideration and best wishes to the staff team.

P.S. I apologize in advance if there is any lacking structure or substance in my answers, as I was told last time I got a bit too wordy. Please, if you have any further questions to gauge, do forward them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool guy +1
    Nathon Stafford-Sunglasses wearing Delta L42 kiter man. Sometimes a Captain.
    Benedict-Praiser of Jesus, healer of marines, killer of Queens.
    Kahn'Ikesh-Blooded Hunter and great grandson of Gor'don Ram-sey
    (pfp by Manezinho)
    medals:https://pastebin.com/xiCJLuhz
    Mapper since 12/29/2020
    Had dev role assasinated on 8/2/21

Synth Councilor as of 2/5/21 along with Jakk, Frogzeke, Yukonsnow, and Flpls
    DM what#3954 for help with Synth Applications

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ++++++++++++++1
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go for it.
    +1

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like me you used to be a bit of a bad player however that has changed! I am happy to see you become a T-Mod +1

Senior Admin & Training Overseer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I quite literally can't think of any reason why I shouldn't give you a +1 here, answers are good, nobody has anything bad to say about you which is definitely also a good thing.
    SURVIVOR GANG COUNCIL MEMBER

Survivor Gang In Action:

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zayden is a based guy. Easy +1
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure about this application he has pretty short answers for each question. Does this even meet the minimum of 5000 words?
    Learning towards a +1.
    100% plus one if you can add just a few more thousand words to each answer.

Whitelisted Synthetic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A player I've known for a long time; I am confident in this application and applicant. +1
    Synthetic Whitelist - Brian Predator Whitelist - Baln'frim Arvhek
    Trial Moderator: 3/29/2020 - 4/4/2020 || Moderator: 4/4/2020 - 7/16/2020 || Moderator: 2/12/2021 - 5/27/21 || Discord Staffmember: 2/28/21 - 5/27/21
    Logs filed for reports: 5

Discord: rin#0142
    Moderation Staff