Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HeartlessArtless - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal InformationByond ID?
    HeartlessArtless

Player Name You Use Most?
    Satomi 'Uno' Nishiyama

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    None to date.

Have you received any bans in the last month?
    No

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC-08

What is your discord username and handle?
    HeartlessArtless#1313

Basic Questions & StoryWhat do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The Job of the CO is similar to that of the XO, you're the head of the operation and must plan and guide the flow of the marine forces. By coordinating with other CiC staff and SLs you relay information and organize ship side staff to perform their duties. Only except you're granted more tools and means by which to achieve that goal as CO and to promote role play among players where you can. From a roleplaying perspective the role has plenty of means with which to encourage roleplay. Pardons, BEs and as silly as it sounds the Blue star denoting your rank.

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    I've been playing CM for quite some time now and have been focused mostly on the TDM aspect and some minor roleplay (Though mostly as funny bits). I had played the SO role mostly as I felt the XO was far more crucial and I lacked the skills for it. However, since playing SO and XO more often I found myself in the position of aCO so I figured why not go all the way. I would like to try and foster a better role playing attitude as a CO rather than XO because of the additional methods I have as a CO while still having a relatively similar role among the Almayer. I enjoy planning out the operation and relaying information up and down the chain of command as an aCO. Aside from that the few times I’ve gone XO or SO I’ve had a blast roleplaying with shipside staff like Alberto Staffer, Everett Garrison, Wallace Haar, Chad Pollard and other shipside crew whose names elude me. My main reason for applying to this whitelist is so that I can help foster fun roleplay like the aforementioned people have done for me on CM.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    As I mentioned before I think the CO is just as important for creating a good role playing attitude among ship side crew and even marines that you interact with. By applying for a CO whitelist I hope to be one of those players who can encourage and foster a good roleplaying scene among players. Aside from this, I’d like to fulfill a role in command staff that shows that I have an understanding of what it means to be in command and that you’re trusted to handle it as well. With this in mind I wish to apply for a CO whitelist.

How will your Commanding Officer behave? Describe their character.
    Unlike many other captains, Satomi is often viewed as laid back and even unprofessional by her rivals. Her sense of camaraderie and casual demeanor usually means she is usually quite lax about procedure and so forth, at least where she can get away with it. Her colleagues often note this casual attitude disappears in the presence of higher ranking officers though. It would seem that despite this laid back personality, Satomi still respects the chain of command and treats her superior with respect and professionalism expected of her rank. Beginning her career in the USCM as an intelligence officer, Satomi has some experience out in the field but nothing as significant as being on the frontlines like many marines. Having spent some time out in the field she would gladly return if she believes it could turn the tides of a battle but understands that a good leader is usually needed elsewhere. Despite being in a position of leadership, she can be very reckless with her own well being just like her many sisters.

Name and briefly describe your Commanding Officer's own ship.
    The USS Ascalon is a battleship designed with durability and firepower in mind to obliterate enemy vessels in ship to ship combat. The USS Ascalon was created in 2160 a year after the Sol Wars and was designed after the realization that combat doctrines were outdated. Intended to serve as a vanguard ship it was built sturdy and given heavy weaponry for ship to ship combat. However due to this focus on firepower and durability, less thought was placed on the resources and expenses required to operate and sustain such a ship. On top of that issue, it seemed that Space combat doctrine was leaning towards maneuverability and ships that could evade possible damage or deploy fighters that would do this job thus resulting in the Nidhog becoming quickly outdated, because of this and the resources needed to construct these only 5 types of this ship were ever constructed.

The USS Ascalon is a large ship outfitted with armored plating on its front and side to weather enemy fire as it closes distance. One would think a ship like this would be slow, however with its massive thrusters the Ascalon is deceptively quick in short bursts so long as she doesn’t attempt to turn. However with such weight, maneuvering the Ascalon is no easy task and practically any ship can outmaneuver her and chip away at her blindspots. Many in the Third fleet especially those in the First Division enjoyed referring to the ship as the “Party Brick” for some odd reason. On her port and starboard sides the USS Ascalon has been fitted with a total of 18 broadside cannons and six missile launchers. On the top and bottom of the Ascalon are four pairs of point defense lasers. While its lack of any real weaponry on it’s top and bottom hull are a major oversight, should the Ascalon manage to close distance and turn its side towards another ship it can unleash a devastating barrage few ships can withstand. In addition to tearing apart any ship foolish enough to put itself in sight of it’s broadsides, the Ascalon and ships of a similar class remain somewhat up to useful to the USCM thanks to their use as orbital artillery for ground troops. With a crew of around 1200 to operate the USS Ascalon’s cannons, bridge and various other utilities along with a minor detachment of marines to prevent boarding from enemy ships or for very minor amphibious assaults. Aside from these there is little room for much else removing any possibility of becoming an enormous transport or logistic vessel. Created as a result of the Sol Campaign it’s singular purpose is the destruction of the enemy.

The USS Ascalon was famous for being among the ships spearheading the offensive during the battle of Canton, commanded by Captain Naoko Nishiyama. It was said that while separated from the rest of the fleet, the USS Ascalon destroyed two UPP vessels that tried to take advantage of her isolation. Upon seeing this, the remaining nearby UPP ships steered clear of the USS Ascalon’s broadsides and slowly picked it apart leaving the ship disabled and her crew defenseless as it was destroyed by UPP forces. However, a certain Commodore who was present aboard the USS Obama during the battle would have you believe that there was mutiny aboard the ship and that a dropship had instead crashed into the combat information center. Regardless of the true story, the Ascalon was later found floating among the wreckage after the battle. Many among the Third Fleet suspected the ship would be scrapped to build newer and more up to date ships though the men calling the shots would soon reveal that a young and model naval officer would instead take command of the ship once it had finished its repairs. After of course receiving a substantial sum of money from an unknown source to help repair the ship and pocket for future use. One Satomi Nishiyama, daughter and heir to the previous captain of the Ascalon would step up once repairs to the Ascalon were complete.

Your story (potential topics listed below)
    The young commander stared at the monitor tapping her foot impatiently as she watched the marines in the field through their helmet feed. She looked like any other XO barring the fact she was in fact wearing the captain’s old and worn bomber jacket. Rumor among the crew was that the two were good friends before they both joined the navy. She sighed leaning back in her chair and taking another puff of her cigarette and closing her eyes. Her mind began to wander about mundane things, what she was going to have for lunch, the progress report with the captain and so forth before the screams of the marines coming from the monitor reminded her that she had better things to do. “Delta, get to your SL he’s fighting the queen alone.” she said resting her head in her hand as she watched the monitor idly.
    Things were not looking good, through the helmet cameras it seemed like the marines had initially made good progress on the operation. They pushed back the xenomorph threat into the caves taking out some of their larger warrior castes. Victory seemed near at hand until the Queen arrived on the field. Satomi had only heard rumors of this enemy and what they could do. She dealt mostly with CLF insurrections before and this was the first time she had ever seen these creatures in action, the rumor didn’t hold up with what she saw at all. The marines were being torn apart quite literally, the worst part was that the rumors never included the fact that sometimes the xenomorphs would spin on top of marines they killed, almost as if they had some sick sense of humor.
    Satomi had finally seen enough and put out the cigarette she held between her fingers, putting it’s burnt out remains in the ashtray on her desk. She stood out of her chair and walked up to the captain’s cubicle leaning against it as she turned her front towards the other SOs occupied on their consoles. “So I’m guessing you’ve got a plan right? Considering it seems that we’re losing.” she said just quiet enough so that the other nearby didn’t hear her doubts about the operation. Any other captain would have flagged her for disrespect, but not this one. Instead he chuckled, “No, Commander Nishiyama...” he said with a smile, “I’ll be sending you down to get us coordinates and lead the troops below.”
    “Me captain? Are you sure that’s a good idea?” Satomi asked reluctantly. “Against CLF, sure but I’ve got no experience with the-”
    “You’ll do fine, Satomi. Just get the job done.” The captain said without any hesitation as he began sending out the announcement to ground forces. Satomi felt sick to her stomach as she took off her jacket and rolled up her sleeves. “It’s just like before… except instead of CLF militia, it’s giant space aliens…” she grumbled to herself as she fit on her officer’s armor over her before grabbing a tactical shotgun out from one of the armory closets and sliding it into a holster. “If only I had a couple of M15s...” she mumbled as she left the armory giving the captain a curt salute before marching out of Command Information Center.
    Out of the frying pan and into the fire they said, well that was an underwhelming quote for Satomi when she stepped out the dropship on to the FOB. The forward defenses were being pelted by acid and wounded marines being dragged around. Somewhere nearby a marine primed an HEDP and threw it into the back of his fellow marine and another was rolling on the ground having been lit aflame by a nearby marine with a flamer. It was chaos and far ahead she could see the xenomorphs massing up for a charge, their queen at the head of the horde. “God damnit! What’s going on!?” the commander shouted to no one in particular as she quickly began to fumble with her satchel pulling out a pair of rangefinders. “We’ve been pushed back to the FOB! They flanked us and walked straight around hydro!” Satomi couldn’t believe what she was hearing. Without delay she began lazing the area just behind the xenomorphs. “Command! Input LONGITUDE -241, LATITUDE -89! Hold for my command!” she shouted over all the gunfire, screeches and screaming despite talking into her headset. It was then that she saw the horde surging towards them. For a moment she froze, never before had she seen a more terrifying sight in all her years within the USCM.
    “FIRE!” she shouted as loudly as she could ducking down behind a line of barricades. A few marines saw or heard her and huddled closely beside her also taking cover. Satomi could hear HE round streaking across the sky before she felt it’s impact just outside of the FOB. The few marines who didn’t duck down or charged out too early were sent flying back impacting into the barricades or walls. The unlucky few who were very far out when the round hit were reduced to a gory spot on the ground. In the moment, Satomi took the initiative, leaping over the first barricade she shouted so that all could hear, “Forward!” Quickly putting the Mk221 she had taken with her from the armory into her hands. As she rushed forward she saw the first few xenomorphs. They were huge and menacing, unlike anything she had ever seen before. They looked as if they could tear apart a man with no effort and yet here she was charging away to face them. Some tears welled up in her eyes as she realized she might have made a mistake. Her pace slowed, her courage faltered and she was about ready to turn and run when she glanced behind her to see the marines who had beforehand been hiding behind the barricades charging out with her. The sight alone was enough to bolster her resolve and she found herself at the head of the charge. The marines together with Satomi let out their war cries as they swept through the weakened and disorganized xenomorphs. Having just emptied her tactical shotgun into a large red xenomorph, Satomi reached into a pouch using an emergency injector for the wounds she had suffered as she fought when she felt something hit the back of her helmet. Turning to look down she saw the unmistakable red tip of an HEDP. “Oh n-” she muttered before everything suddenly went white.
    “Sir!” The marines said as they saluted the Captain. Despite there still being some remaining xenos stragglers delaying the end of the operation the captain decided to stop below and see how the operation was going in person. Especially considering that the XO had reversed the outcome of what seemed like a defeat. It didn’t take long for the captain to find the young commander being regaled by her fellow comrades. Though upon closer inspection it seemed that the closest companions of her were medics, treating the nasty wounds and broken arm she had acquired during the charge. “Good work Commander.” he said as her accomplishment was just as daily duty of hers. Satomi barely looked up at him, the adrenaline having worn off she could now feel the pain and exhaustion from her successful forlorn hope. “High command’s gonna have a fit with you being down here with me captain.” she said between her winces and grunts as she pulled an arm away from the medics that continued to bandage her up. “I’ll finish up what’s left of th-”
    “Don’t bother.” the captain interrupted sternly, gesturing to her to stop, “You’ll be headed up while I remain here. You’ve earned some rest so let the marines handle the last of them commander. With some luck this may just be what you needed for that promotion you’ve been gunning for.” he added in with a smile, patting Satomi on the shoulder. As he left her sitting there with the medics. She grinned at the thought of a possible promotion but was soon grimacing, the tramadol she was given doing little to numb the pain and aches she had as she was helped back aboard the dropship along the many other wounded. For once in her career Satomi couldn't wait to be stuck behind another console watching the marines do their job instead of being with them.

ExperienceHow experienced are you with the position of a Squad Leader (SL)?
    Very experienced, It has been for quite some time now, my most played role. Especially before the playtime wipes in 2020. It is still one of my more favorite roles to play as.

How experienced are you with the position of a Staff Officer (SO)?
    Experienced, I have only a few hours currently but back in 2020 I played it much more often and it is where I first got a taste for being aCO since lowpop command is usually barren.

How experienced are you with the position of a Department Head?
    I wouldn't say I'm very experienced in this regard. I've played the roles these departments handle in the past and understand their duties and such (CT, Doc, MT) but I've never really been interested in being the head of these departments.

How experienced are you with the position of the Executive Officer (XO)?
    I've recently put in a lot of time into playing the XO role and now feel that I have a good understanding of my duties and what to do when in command of an operation. Aside from this playing under great COs has also helped me learn a lot in my time as XO recently.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)?
    I've read through both the pages on the wiki in the past and have brushed up on the Marine law and SOP wikis prior to making my application. So I would say I am quite knowledgeable in both these regards now.

ScenariosWhen do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used? List some examples of scenarios in which a battlefield execution would be correctly used.
    A battlefield execution should always be a last resort especially if there are MPs present in the round as it essentially ends someone’s round prematurely. I would probably use a BE if I suspected the person in question would jeopardize the operation or the lives of those under my command. Examples being:
    1. Important persons purposely defying orders and performing acts that would sabotage the operation.
    2. Persons who attack either myself or nearby persons under my command with a lethal weapon.
    3. Marines who are inciting mutiny successfully among each other. Though as I said before, if MPs can handle these issues then there’s no need to jump straight to a BE.

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner? What are some examples of crimes you would pardon, and those you would not?
    I think it is legal to pardon someone if you believe that their intent was not malicious and they have not done anything major to hinder the operation of the Almayer in any way. Especially if the person in question holds an important role which could be crucial to the success of the operation. Though I would not pardon someone I suspected of not understanding their crime and repeating their offense or one far worse.

Examples of times I’d give pardons:
    1. An SL hacks the vendors and doors to his squad req and did not attempt to resist arrest or cause issues on his way into the brig.
    2. A few marines were rough housing or shoving each other and no one was seriously injured.
    3. A marine trespassing into an area gets items like meds or equipment. Though this would also depend on what they were attempting to get.
    Examples of times I’d not give pardons:
    1. SADAR fires an HE rocket at brig after their fellow marine is arrested.
    2. Marines interfere with an arrest on purpose and are arrested for interference.
    3. Personnel get into a minor argument and one pulls a gun and fires it at the other thinking he was justified in shooting the other.

What is your routine after starting the round as either a Staff Officer or Executive Officer? Assume you joined round-start and are inside your quarters.
    My routine isn’t anything special as XO I think. As soon as I awaken I say my greetings to fellow command staff then I check the crew manifest to see what departments are staffed and what not. If there is a CO on I always ask whether they will take command or not then request their bomber jackets because you gotta lead in style.
    Next I’ll make an announcement wishing the entire crew and marines a good morning and adding some filler as roleplay depending on the map we’re on if I can. I’ll end that with a time for briefing depending on whether or not I am in command or not. Once all that is done with I order MTs to set AA to CiC and load the OB or do it myself. If requisition has staff I’ll leave them be but if they are empty I often assign an SO to the job or do it myself if I don’t have to draft up plans for the operation. Sometimes if I am given the tablet I’ll announce briefing two minutes before it starts and that SLs must attend but not always. I’ll typically give my briefings at 12:18 or 12:20 depending on what is going on shipside and whether I was given command early into the start etc.
    Lastly immediately after briefing if I have the tablet I will give a recapp announcement and tell the PO to launch in a minute or two. If I don’t have the tablet I just ask the CO to do it or run back to CiC quickly to announce it. Then the round usually goes on as usual unless something unexpected happens.

How would you handle insubordinate departments? State what you would do for each department if they were insubordinate.
    Medical - The biggest issue I see with research that might be caused by insubordination is either the breeding of xenos or antagging with chems. Other than that I don’t often see or have to deal with medical in any bad sort of way. I’d figure the standard procedure would be to address the situation with the CMO and if it’s a very malicious problem then I’d involve the MPs. The worst scenarios I’ve had were involving a researcher causing tons of issues with combat stims injected and in such a case I’d just order MPs to handle it and eventually it’d be handled.

Requisition - Not many issues in this department. I’d suspect the biggest problem to arise from insubordination is either an RO or CT buying items that aren’t necessary. In which case I would remind them that they’re to buy supplies necessary for the operation and not just random items that are of no benefit. Once again if they refuse, I’d send in MPs and have someone else who can handle req perform their duties.

Military Police - This one is tricky because you can’t really break marine law nor be insubordinate. I’d probably ahelp or fax HC about any issues from the MPs if it was extreme. Otherwise I’d simply talk to them and tell them what they are doing is unacceptable. Most likely it’ll be just one MP who misunderstood something so talking will get them into shape but if they are acting up and refusing my orders and such I could also literally arrest them for insubordination. If by some strange means all the MPs active have somehow turned out to be insubordinate I would deputize whatever officers I have loyal to me and have them deal with this. If there is an XO present I’d either also go along, leaving the XO to handle CiC if I feel like they could or have the XO handle the issue with my deputies. This is ofcourse if I am able to as I don’t feel like it’s very good to go against HC.

Engineering - MTs have probably got the worst track record with issues on my part. From detonating C4 aboard the Almayer and being arrested for remodeling parts of the ship or dismantling it. MT can be boring and so I don’t fault the MTs for wanting to remodel and such so I’ll usually allow it if it isn’t too game changing. Usually though I just call the MPs and have them chase the MTs around the ship if they’re being too much of an issue.

Command - My biggest issue in command are SOs who just deploy at first drop without telling me anything. If I catch them attempting to deploy without permission I usually tell them off and if they cause trouble that's disruptive I’ll call an MP to deal with them. Though the possibility of them messing with the operation is so much higher than the others because of their ability to input coordinates for pads and OBs. Accidents do happen and so I wouldn’t necessarily jump the gun on some issues if they were genuine mistakes. However OBing the FOB or sending supplies to the wrong codes multiple times would either earn some serious brig time or a BE if I figure out they were doing it maliciously.

How would you handle an understaffed CIC? What if you and the XO are the only available CIC crew?
    Oftentimes when I play during low pop this is generally what happens. And nothing much changes in my opinion. I’ll check what departments have staff and which ones do not, fill the roles (especially req) with those I can trust to handle it or do them myself before announcing a briefing time. I feel confident in my ability to handle CiC alone if I have to but if the XO and I were the only two command staff awake I’d urge him to stay in CiC with me to coordinate the operation until we can get SOs to awaken so that we don’t leave marines in the dark for extended an amount of time. Nothing is worse than a Command who fails to update marines on the situation and support them from the Almayer.

What would you do if you were deployed and a marine told you they were going to desert the operation?
    As much as I wish I could call MPs usually, sending them off the Almayer is never a good idea. If the marine was saying this over the radio I might just ignore it but if it was someone of significance like an SL or an SO trying to get other marines to abandon the operation for no good reason I’d sternly reprimand them. Unfortunately if they continued I’d see no other option than to arrest the the moment they arrive on the ship or perhaps BE them by going down myself as Desertion is a capital crime and what they are doing is a major problem.

ConfirmationsDo you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I do have a bias here. Uno is one of the more memorable members I've encountered who was a staple sg back when I was new.

Frankly, this person is patient, smart, and has enough experience in groundside and in the cic that if I actually had to pose a question to them it could only be. Why haven't you applied yet?

+1 This person is good and honestly deserves slightly more recognition then they usually get.

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there,

Thank you for applying for CO WL! Before I can give my vote can you please send a screenshot (imgur would be the easiest way to do this) of your XO, CMP and SL hours.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Competent player, when I get on I usually see them as XO/SO, fun to interact with and my favorite fem static

+1

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ben11567 View Post
    Hey there,

Thank you for applying for CO WL! Before I can give my vote can you please send a screenshot (imgur would be the easiest way to do this) of your XO, CMP and SL hours.
    I am just saying that ingame hours shouldn't really be used for determining the players >,<

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XO and SL hours.

Quote Originally Posted by ben11567 View Post
    Hey there,

jDRpS2V.png

I haven't really touched MPs since the last playtime wipe so as it shows I have no hours on them currently. If you strongly recommend hours as MPs or CMPs, I can work on getting some more hours into the role since things have most likely changed since I last played the role.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SATOMI YES! GO GO GET THAT CO!
    You're literally one of the most ideal candidates for it so definitely +1
    a very nice SL person and overall nice to talk to. You better get the whitelist but don't burn yourself out trying to get it, try to have fun!

Commanding Officer Council Member Pahndoomack's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright so basically.

They're pretty cool.

They know what they're doing.

They're fun.

They worked very hard for this application, and I know they won't let it go to waste.

+1

Remember to have fun.
    Alberto 'Topper' Staffer
    Sam 'Snake' Creed
    Jack Houser
    Synthetic Jacobs

Discord Pahndoomak#7127

Frankly, stuff.

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good answers, I know you've been playing SL and XO for a while and are good at it, I see no reason not to +1 this.
    Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!

Whitelisted Captain TyroneDadWhisperer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't usually vote on apps, but I've had satomi many times as XO and they can hold their own just fine, always level headed and understand whats required of them in Command

+1 from me
    Synthetic Unit Adrian

Former CO Councillor 21/03/21 - 7/11/21