Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HeartlessArtless - Commanding Officer Application

Whitelisted Predator SpartanBobby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't normally post on CO apps but
    there's very few XO/COs I trust in command and I'm happy to say that Satomi is one of the very few people I have faith in
    +1
    !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the same boat as Bobby. A lot of people who want to be COs are usually the same copy and pasted dry rp type character. But even then, among a sea of dyed hair hatsune miku marines or people who take rp way too seriously, Satomi is always there to be the pinnacle of RP and fun. A very great character and very great leader. I'd love to see them doing more with this role and helping encourage more marines to have fun while sticking to the setting.

+1

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a CMP main, I will just shadow here what the other's have said per your experience in ML:

I botched my first 2 appeals as CMP so badly I got brigged for NOD and I also thought that the process was simple when I read through it. I also got player reported on another one. It is definitely something that you'd benefit greatly from doing a few times in practice and something that you can either shadow a CMP/CO as while being a regular MP or can have delegated to perform yourself. Just ask the CO/CMP present, they'll usually help guide you though the process and give you feedback afterwards if you specifically mention it.

People who claim that you don't really need MP experience to be a CO are doing you a great disservice, for a very specific reason:

Prisoners ask for an appeal directly to the CO pretty much always if there is one present (they assume a CO will be more lenient than a CMP/MP. Hell, as you can see in this very thread, a lot of people assume that CO's are somehow at war with MPs which really isn't true), it is absolutely something you'll have to deal with ALL the time as CO and MPs will be watching you for any slip ups, it's part of what they do and part of the standards that you will be held up to by both the CMP and High Command. Remember, ICly you are supposed to be, at least in theory, "the cream of the crop" in how you present yourself and represent the USCM and it is literally the CMP's job to make sure you adhere to those standards.

Your MPs will be, at times, both a source of good RP and infinite frustration as marines yell at you and them for perceived slights. In fact, a CO being present makes some marines think they have more leeway in breaking ML "Because they'll get a pardon", so beware.

ML is definitely not "just a wiki", it can be applied harshly or loosely and there is plenty of wiggle room in between, something that you also should gain a perspective on if you do a few MP rounds, especially under a few different CMPs (or as CMP yourself if you so wish, though I do agree that CMP is absolutely not necessarily, just some MP rounds will do)

I would suggest:

- Doing at least 1-2 appeals or at the very least shadowing an appeal being done by a CMP/CO.
    - Having at least one "hard" shift under your belt - a "controversial" arrest, a mass jailbreak attempt or having to brig someone who you really don't want to brig for something that you really don't want to brig them for are some of the examples I can think of.
    - Like it was suggested here before, doing 5-10 MP shifts overall that include getting to know how the brig and JAS works

Hell, I'd be more than happy to show you the ropes myself if I happen to be on.

Having said all that!

I think you really improved as an XO and I saw you have exactly the same issue I had when I originally started playing the role more - extreme tunnel vision, to the point I had to repeat the same thing as your SO because you would just miss it repeatedly.
    You have a good grasp of the game and I don't think there will be any issue there, you also seem to be generally liked which I personally do not consider paramount to being a CO (hardass CO's when played right need some love too), it definitely helps.

Since I absolutely have to, I would give a -1 for now, but honestly I think you have time to catch up ML/SOP wise while this app is still open and if not, your next one should have no problems going through.
    Last edited by silencer_pl; 03-01-2021 at 02:38 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawMullet View Post
    mfw the CO whitelist gatekeeps so hard that it falls into the hands of MP mains who spend half their days researching all the different ways they can loophole ML to fuck people over and expect every CO applicant to enjoy doing the same

No, you don't need to do that shit to be a good CO, and even though Satomi is a disgusting-ass femstatic they play SL as a more effective CO than 99% of your whitelist does. The only reason I can think for gatekeeping this app is people not wanting to be shown how effective an actual CO can be

Not even my whitelist but +1 Satomi goes hard as fuck
    Its a shame because this will probably get denied and a player who would bring actually enjoyable, unique rounds to CM is gonna get blocked by dudes who give out more BE's than medals.

CO should always be about your ability to lead, not being a policeman. We have a job on this server called a CMP, in older times, the conflict between a rebellious CO and a hardline CMP was the source of alot of funny back and forth. Satomi has the actual ability to coordinate and listen to players, and carry out a memorable round.

This new culture of enforcing 'MP experience' on new CO's is extremely elitist and a very unhealthy way to foster new players into trying out command.
    Last edited by Dreven; 03-01-2021 at 02:40 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silencer_pl View Post
    -
    Downvoting other COs while having your own CO application up. Real classy of you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoyable player to be around. They're someone who'll play along with any funny gimmick you have. They've done a great job when I've seen them as SL and as the regular command. They'd make a great addition to the stale CPTs we currently have. +1
    Last edited by Lumdor; 03-01-2021 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HeartlessArtless is one of the most enjoyable people to play with on this server. I've seen them play literally almost every different role through my years playing this game, and they have always made my rounds feel better. They are a very solid player in the CIC, I remember them going XO and SO seemingly every single round during different stretches of time and doing a damn good job of it as well. HeartlessArtless is also a top notch SL as well, and they are fun to follow into the chaos of the round. I know they have at least a decent understanding of marine law too. I've seen HeartlessArtless play MP plenty of times.

I think that Satomi would be an excellent character for the CO position, and could bring a lot of fun into some of our rounds.

Massive +1!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've known Heartless for a while, albeit not closely, but I can safely vouch for their ability and talent. This guy definitely deserves the whitelist. He has my +2, for what it's worth.

Edit: Also, what's the point in asking someone a myriad of ridiculous hypothetical ML questions if they're gonna get shit on for not playing MP anyway...?
    Last edited by Destrok; 03-01-2021 at 05:03 PM.
    Waiting for lagless CM
    Manuel Conrad - Human
    Alexander Keys - Human (Command)
    SA-D5 - Xenomorph
    Har'Kittak - Yautja
    Thomas - Synthetic

I'm awesome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sup, feedback is always appreciated, and giving support to your friends is always a good thing and helps a lot but let's try to keep the unrelated discussion to a minimum.

The comments are making some Whitelist members change their votes down and making a good part suspicious which may contribute to its denial. This application is still not denied or over though, so for the best of your friend, let's cut it down.

Just giving a bit of advice, I shouldn't even be saying to start off but that is pretty much it.
    Captain Elzbieta Brygida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uno is a long-standing solid member of the community to which I have never experienced them acting in an improper way. Through many interactions with them over the years I have never had them do anything to warrant me questioning them. Definitely a positive person you won’t see salting in d-chat or retaliating against griefers. I don’t think any CO is perfect when they get the whitelist, and each player has different areas of strengths and weakness that they need to address as they get used to CO.

Unfortunately, the only way to truly test someone for their marine law knowledge is to do so in game as its easy to sit down and logic it out as opposed to having strong enough knowledge to quickly react. I still think that they have played some rounds pre wipe and I have seen them play MP before (I can’t possibly know how common this was only that I can remember a round they played MP). I’d say you would benefit from playing some MP to get more familiar with ML. Honestly for your sake its better that you wait till you learn ML before getting WL or you’ll walk into a landmine round.

In conclusion, Uno clearly excels in other areas besides ML much more than the average candidate. They have no history of misbehaviour to warrant concern for abuse of CO powers. But my main issue is that when they answered Fortelian’s questions they were confident enough to reply but far from correct. 90% of rounds this wouldn’t be too big of an issue but honestly for your sake its better that you don’t get WL yet. Dealing with reports for ML breaks, WL violations or getting suspended its going to be worth waiting a month.

Unfortunately, -1 from me for now.
    Last edited by GhostGhost360; 03-01-2021 at 03:51 PM. Reason: read Fortelian's reply
    Tyrus 'Shoeless' Jackson (Moderately Competent)
    TOT, Formerly TO-T0 (HRP Xeno)

GhostGhost360#7429 on Discord