User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An unhinged rant complaining about the lack of roleplay standards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreven View Post
    we should just make it so all medical items, attachments and kits are free to get from an open prep vendor so everyone can gear up quickly, and leave more time for actual roleplay between people before deployment. People could waste the 15 minutes or so before drop by doing boxing matches, goofing around, having squad breakfasts etc. Waiting in req is just an artificial loading time and adds literally nothing to the game, its the kind of "static background roleplay" that serves no purpose at all. The kind of RP that CM and SS13 in general is so great for is the character driven, emergent roleplay that comes from people interacting with eachover, waiting in a line to be served by someone literally just feels like you are being forced to be a NPC. This would appease both the roleplayers of the game as they would have more time to do their own thing before drop, and would appease the "no rp gamers" who, quite understandably, just wanna go shoot aliens in a game about shooting aliens. I'm sure alot of people would just gear up quick and go wait on the dropship, and thats fine too, but those that didn't wouldent have to waste time fucking about with busywork for the 10000th time and actually have opportunity to build up comradery and character development with their fellow ungas.
    This would really be fun, just make it so you cannot go down before the ship is properly in orbit and done, we all get our prep time, and we dont have stupid shit to balance against

Instead of saying "we got one barrel charger for every 15 xenos" you can balance stuff as if all the ungas have access to all possible attachments, so the attachments, weapons and xenos are properly balanced instead of this chaos we got today...

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SS13 is just a better among us tbh; has older references though, like there was so many SC1 murder mystery maps that was top shit until killer drops from shitnet.

Anyway...

Force interaction pushes some RP, but how squad req is is not a good example as it becomes 9/10 a feeding trough for marine's attachies. Old req line at least required you to be attentive enough to the line moving and thus to pass the time people would talk to each other, but 150-200 pop doesn't make it appealing to go back to. Maybe a mix of allowing marines to get their own attachies and kits and specialty items from req or something.

But the biggest issue for RP been the crack down on player driven RP by admins, a Bill Carson would never appear today as they would've been banned five times over but everyone knows the crazy shit he did and got away with. The dilemma is sometimes to make rounds interesting and exciting you got to break some eggs and let some players suffer some dam abuse, only can build character.

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else think it's funny tgmc has considerable more roleplay than we do?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aces View Post
    Waaaaay more as it has lower pop, so you can't just run from place to place that is filled with marines, but you actually have to TALK to them where are they and move together.

Also because 3-4 normal marines in CM is worth nothing against 2-3 xenos.

But yesterday a total of 2 marines and me took out a RAV in about 5 seconds from 100% HP. THAT'S how powerful TGMC weapons are if you organize yourself.

Next round 10 of us died to 5 xenos in less than 20 sec and they shredded us to pieces in a cave ambush.

TGMC combat is mother freaking amazing, especially that 90% of their guns have IFF mode with slower rate of fire. But that's all your penalty, so combat feels amazing. Wish they would implement that in CM.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aces View Post
    it's not that funny once you also consider tgmc is actually enjoyable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can we also go back to the days where the alien hive isn't right next to the fucking LZ? All these great maps have been created but all I've seen of Science Annex is from LZ 1 to Central Ring. I don't even know what the rest of the map looks like. Used to be a rule against meta rushing. What happened to that? There's no build-up of suspense anymore in trying to actually find out what the distress signal is even for. I swear every time we land now it's just walk out of LZ and oh there are some weeds guess it looks like it's Xenos.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we should just make it so all medical items, attachments and kits are free to get from an open prep vendor so everyone can gear up quickly, and leave more time for actual roleplay between people before deployment. People could waste the 15 minutes or so before drop by doing boxing matches, goofing around, having squad breakfasts etc. Waiting in req is just an artificial loading time and adds literally nothing to the game, its the kind of "static background roleplay" that serves no purpose at all. The kind of RP that CM and SS13 in general is so great for is the character driven, emergent roleplay that comes from people interacting with eachover, waiting in a line to be served by someone literally just feels like you are being forced to be a NPC. This would appease both the roleplayers of the game as they would have more time to do their own thing before drop, and would appease the "no rp gamers" who, quite understandably, just wanna go shoot aliens in a game about shooting aliens. I'm sure alot of people would just gear up quick and go wait on the dropship, and thats fine too, but those that didn't wouldent have to waste time fucking about with busywork for the 10000th time and actually have opportunity to build up comradery and character development with their fellow ungas.
    This isn't the way to improve RP standards or promote RP and is counter-intuitive to the problems at large. This is in fact the same think-thought that has lead to CM's lower standards of roleplay and de-evolution of the common players understanding on what is roleplay.

I will start by saying that yes breaking into common areas at round start has always been an issue and SHOULD be solved by mechanical means. If development notices a common theme or meta that happens round after round it's up to the staff team to change the rules OR fix it development wise.

"static background roleplay" that serves no purpose at all.
    Static background roleplay is often mechanics or features forced upon a player in which they must engage in to achieve a goal or a reward. These system while boring, often promote socialization and interaction among players in-which roleplay is fostered naturally by both parties. I'm not saying your game should be littered with these forced background mechanics, but rather used as seasoning like salt or pepper to your meal. Which is why I will always defend REQ, MEDBAY and MPs as positive encouragements to roleplay. Spending 20minutes of your game at round-start engrossed in other players and forced socialization BUILDS EARLY GAME RELATIONSHIPS and is a staple of the very movie CM is based off of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j3wJqvesDc

leave more time for actual roleplay between people before deployment. People could waste the 15 minutes or so before drop by doing boxing matches, goofing around, having squad breakfasts etc.
    CM's roleplay is already down the shitter with it's mass streamlining over the years and the playerbase is in-large anti-RP and generally low-rp as is. The belief that a playerbase that's been force-fed Low-RP/No-RP for the last 3 years will "willingly" or on their own go off and RP in the kitchen is ridiculous. This belief that streamlining mechanics to give players time to go "RP on their free time" doesn't apply to CM's playerbase and is a ideology that would only work on a High-RP Server with willing players who want to actively RP.

This would appease both the roleplayers of the game as they would have more time to do their own thing before drop, and would appease the "no rp gamers" who, quite understandably, just wanna go shoot aliens in a game about shooting aliens. I'm sure alot of people would just gear up quick and go wait on the dropship, and thats fine too, but those that didn't wouldent have to waste time fucking about with busywork for the 10000th time and actually have opportunity to build up comradery and character development with their fellow ungas.
    What you're stating here is essentially the system we supported and encouraged back in 2017 but we tricked the Non-RPers into actively engaging with the RPers. By enforcing and implementing many "Background Static Systems" we were able to involve the Non-RPers into roleplay scenarios they weren't even aware they were partaking in. Dreven's idea would work if CM was a High-RP server that wasn't already suffering from a playerbase that is hardly roleplaying as is. But to essentially say "Cut out more background mechanics so the playerbase who's already not roleplaying may roleplay with more freetime" is absolutely ridiculous. You know what players will do with 15mins of more free-time? Steal, grief and cause more shipside problems because they have nothing to do.

It's important to understand that SOCIALIZATION in a video-game or table-top game promotes natural Roleplay among players. By reducing, removing or streamlining these mechanics you're eliminating natural socializing encouragements that foster a healthy roleplay environment.
    Sitting in-line at REQ, passive roleplay by talking to the people around you while bored. Long medical/Surgery, passive roleplay by being stuck in medbay forced to converse with your doctor. Dropship transportation, you got it passive roleplay while you're strapped in waiting to land. Briefing everyone hates? You got it, passive roleplay surrounded by other players all forced to chat and shoot the shit.

CM is where it is today with Roleplay due to numerous factors, primarily the DEV team tanking any support for roleplay (a few being openly anti-RP as well), adding TDM mechanics and stripping the game of it's passive background mechanics that encouraged socialization. I've been quite adamant about this, but CM will never return to any RP Standards while the Dev team continues to neglect or implement features with no farsight for roleplay taken into account. I wouldn't hold my breath either as just a couple of months ago your Lead Dev was 4khan, a quite outspoken Anti-RP Dev who has admitted to not caring about RP at all. The fact that someone like this was able to achieve a position of leadership/management is failure from the Head Staff who are so disconnected from the game it's quite embarrassing it hasn't been handed off to more competent hands yet. The most pressing issue is that the playerbase consistently (myself included) complains about RP standards and other players ruining the game, but realistically it's mass failure in game direction and development from the Top Tier staff that have failed a core group of the playebase and utterly destroyed the foundations of the game.

What's most concerning is that the playerbase's understanding of Roleplay is so limited now that a statement of "Stripping more static background mechanics in favor of streamlining deployment for more PewPew" was in general a solid idea to a lot of people in this thread.

I can't believe I have to say this; but if your belief, or opinion is that CM needs to be stripped of more background mechanics that encourage socialization among players.... then you're part of the degradation of Roleplay on the server.
    Last edited by Fewher; 03-05-2021 at 09:00 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I feel I'm playing a totally different game than some of the commenters here. According to these people, disarming and dropping marines in a boring REQ line that might or might not cause a) a fight where MP have to intervene and lock both the guys inside prison aka removing them from the round, in which case I rather alf+F4 as I want to fight xenos not talk to a stuck up MP who think he is GOD or b) griefing and PBing the other guy which will lead to a ban.

Either way it's not fun and a waste of time. People are on this server to shoot xenos. If they want to RP, they go to a HRP server. And no, you didn't "trick" anybody to RP. They just do it because they have to do it. You might observe it as a ghost as fun RP, in reality it's nuisance and annoying waste of time.

Not to mention if I want want to RP I most certainly WON'T do it in the REQ line as people just want to make the drop and if you start talking out lout what to take to ask for suggestion, people will just push, shout at you to hurry up as they WILL miss the drop and that is again, NOT fun.

Did you guys ever played tabletop RP? I mean in real life with friends. If you did, you know RP is only important if you are influencing the events. In a movie it might look cool to say one liners, in game, they already forgot about you in 2 seconds later.

But if you actively influence the game, via asking for tactical suggestion, telling people with certain guns to focus on certain goals or briefing small teams of 2-3 to have agendas during the push, THAT is RP and THAT is fun as you know it's up to you to influence the events so you will try your best to accomplish it. Standing in line being forced to type in 2 letter abbreviations of attachments as the guns suck a little less with them is not fun. It's annoying.
    Last edited by Fix it again Tony; 03-05-2021 at 09:29 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix it again Tony View Post
    Sometimes I feel I'm playing a totally different game than some of the commenters here. According to these people, disarming and dropping marines in a boring REQ line that might or might not cause a) a fight where MP have to intervene and lock both the guys inside prison aka removing them from the round, in which case I rather alf+F4 as I want to fight xenos not talk to a stuck up MP who think he is GOD or b) griefing and PBing the other guy which will lead to a ban.
    By all means Tony this is simply your preferred game-play and style of play. I believe you would fall into the category of NO-RP/Very Low-RP, as you're simply playing the game for the shooting elements which is completely fine.
    To be honest, in a lot of real RP settings or games you'd be perma-banned for Alt-F4ing or leaving the round, these are just basic RP standards.

Either way it's not fun and a waste of time. People are on this server to shoot xenos. If they want to RP, they go to a HRP server. And no, you didn't "trick" anybody to RP. They just do it because they have to do it. You might observe it as a ghost as fun RP, in reality it's nuisance and annoying waste of time.
    This is a very selfish and personal opinion that you share of how the game should be. It's evident by the amount of talk, threads and discussion that there are players to feel strongly about an element of the game that is neglected. To you, certain elements of the game are pointless and waste but to others they hold value. CM is quite a unique game and while it's starting to mesh into other similar type SS13 servers it's quite ridiculous to essentially tell people to "Go play another game". In the same comparison someone could tell you to go play another game if you don't want to follow the most basic standards of Roleplay on CM... Vanilla SS13 and CM are not the same game.

But if you actively influence the game, via asking for tactical suggestion, telling people with certain guns to focus on certain goals or briefing small teams of 2-3 to have agendas during the push, THAT is RP and THAT is fun as you know it's up to you to influence the events so you will try your best to accomplish it. Standing in line being forced to type in 2 letter abbreviations of attachments as the guns suck a little less with them is not fun. It's annoying.
    Nothing you have stated here is an example of strong roleplay elements but rather Action elements.
    Once again this is your personal playstyle and your view of what's "fun" and I mean this in the nicest way possible, but you lack the big picture and only seeing what's in front of you or what affects you. You're unable to see or understand the importance of sub elements of the game that brings everything together to form the big picture. Your view or definition of RP is so limited just by that example you gave it's almost hard to take your opinion seriously about this debate. You essentially view RP as an instant reward directly attached to the Action side of the game rather than what it really is, an over-arching story from start to finish. Most importantly, you aren't the main-character in this story and your influence on the round isn't what matters and never has been.

I'm not trying to shame you but rather make you understand that your view on roleplay is very limited and part of the problem with the current playerbases mentality of "what is roleplay". A lot of Tony has said is common thought among the playerbase these days and why roleplay standards have shifted so heavily to lower levels.
    Last edited by Fewher; 03-05-2021 at 10:07 AM.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are we people?