Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: An unhinged rant complaining about the lack of roleplay standards

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreven View Post
    we should just make it so all medical items, attachments and kits are free to get from an open prep vendor so everyone can gear up quickly, and leave more time for actual roleplay between people before deployment. People could waste the 15 minutes or so before drop by doing boxing matches, goofing around, having squad breakfasts etc. Waiting in req is just an artificial loading time and adds literally nothing to the game, its the kind of "static background roleplay" that serves no purpose at all. The kind of RP that CM and SS13 in general is so great for is the character driven, emergent roleplay that comes from people interacting with eachover, waiting in a line to be served by someone literally just feels like you are being forced to be a NPC. This would appease both the roleplayers of the game as they would have more time to do their own thing before drop, and would appease the "no rp gamers" who, quite understandably, just wanna go shoot aliens in a game about shooting aliens. I'm sure alot of people would just gear up quick and go wait on the dropship, and thats fine too, but those that didn't wouldent have to waste time fucking about with busywork for the 10000th time and actually have opportunity to build up comradery and character development with their fellow ungas.
    Problem is, if people gear up so fast, what's gonna stop them from just deploying 10 or so minutes earlier than they usually do, except a mechanic that doesn't let the drop ship launch. (Which, yes, is already in place)
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortelian View Post
    Problem is, if people gear up so fast, what's gonna stop them from just deploying 10 or so minutes earlier than they usually do, except a mechanic that doesn't let the drop ship launch. (Which, yes, is already in place)
    A few months down the line you'd be seeing threads of "Remove Dropship Launch Timer" because we have nothing to do beforehand.

This is my point, this is the degradation of Roleplay by background systems being removed which actively encourage and promote socialization.

As I said, the belief that a Low-RP/No-RP Playerbase is suddenly going to Roleplay more because they have more free time pre-deployment is absolutely ridiculous. These players are going to cause more problems, grief, steal and do more Low-RP out of complete boredom with their extra free time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    make a new rule: all squads must hold squad briefing

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortelian View Post
    kind of answered your own question there? TGMC has a hard set dropship time and no one there is screaming about removing the timer, even with their much laxer RP environment. No real roleplay comes from the req line, its just busywork we have all done 100 times before, just like the 'we don't know what xenomorphs are' rule, its just railroading for the sake of it. What im arguing for is freedom for players to fill the time how they like, and then add more RP related areas to the ship to give those hooks. Move the basketball court to the hanger for example, a marine bar with a jukebox, or maybe even competitive minigames like an obstacle course or laser tag room.

Quote Originally Posted by Fewher View Post
    As I said, the belief that a Low-RP/No-RP Playerbase is suddenly going to Roleplay more because they have more free time pre-deployment is absolutely ridiculous. These players are going to cause more problems, grief, steal and do more Low-RP out of complete boredom with their extra free time.
    Sounds like you really just don't like the culture of the playerbase, which is fine man but all of your 'solutions' are basically you saying "I know best, lets force 90% of the players to do what I want". Like just go play on baystation or start your own high roleplay CM downstream, the latter would be better for lowpop anyway and you'd probably be able to get a nice niche server going if you put the effort in especially with your name attached. What is it you wanted the devs to do to keep up "the RP enviroment", in my eyes the devs have largely not touched RP mechanics or added more hooks to them (common brig, booze-o-mat shipside, fluff items, languages etc), its been the culture of OOC protections and staff interventionism for the last few years that has been unhealthy for both the RP players and the TDM players. You've never once actually provided any evidence of how the devs have destroyed RP besides making a few reddit dramabaits with screenshots of a developer for a TDM game saying that most people wanna TDM, which is true.

People enjoy being left to make their own RP and funny interactions, just look at the blue shift events that Frozen puts on which always lead to hilarious stories and players having fun just messing about and doing stuff. You would probably see all of it as "not fitting in the setting", but I'd argue the setting should be player driven anyway rather than constrained. Rewrite it that the Falling Falcons is effectively a penal unit filled made up by disgraced officers, unruly soldiers or just unlucky chumps who caught the bad end of the corporate stick. This supports the player culture, makes alot of sense IC as the Almayer is a refurbished ship and is why were being sent as test cannon fodder against the xenomorphs by WY.

You can say I'm one of the causes of RP degrading on the server, and in your views of what good RP is, I probably am (certain other milsim CO players have stated much worse about me), but I also can't count the amount of hilarious and engaging RP stories I've gotten involved in with other players, often players who would normally just go deploy to kill beans by doing fun silly stuff like bars or pranking MP's etc. You can either stomp out the latter to try and chase your idealistic dream of bringing back 2015 with a playerbase that doesen't give a shit, or you can embrace what you have and just open up more avenues and take away more of the constraints that holds back emergent shenanigans and adventures coming about from player interaction, not forcing that interaction down peoples throats in the most mind numbing ways like "stand in a line and ask for basic equipment for 10 minutes".
    Last edited by Dreven; 03-06-2021 at 10:05 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fewher View Post
    I'm not trying to shame you but rather make you understand that your view on roleplay is very limited and part of the problem with the current playerbases mentality of "what is roleplay". A lot of Tony has said is common thought among the playerbase these days and why roleplay standards have shifted so heavily to lower levels.
    Haha you good, don't worry I won't get offended by an honest opinion that our view of RP is different. In fact I think you are not even wrong a bit. I was wrong with the OT question also as I was assumed that OT makes explosives to hand out during the game and if you read my in-game experience based on 100+ round as OT, it simply does not work in game as intended and I was simply wrong to assume to play OT that way.

And yes your observation is correct, I want action and I don't view the req line as RP. That's my opinion and your is different, nothing wrong with that. In fact, I literally watched people take a sh*t, shower, sit down to eat, smoke and do the full-shabang before dropping. Those people play this same game as full-blown RP. Maybe it is intended to be that way.

But different people find different things fun. For me, having group cohesion is fun. To work as a team, a unit to overcome a very hard objective. For others, staying 100% in character is fun and not necessary the victory. And that's fair enough. We are looking for different things in the same game. No reason they Could not exist at the same time.

With all that said, if you played TGMC, you are forced to RP there, but not in a way CM forces you. Everything people complain here is "fixed" there...and it works beautifully. Head over there and don't let the 50 pop scare you. You will have 5x as much RP as you are FORCED to RP, but not because some mapper is designed a bottleneck with REQ line, or by an admin forcing you not to mention the word Xeno before landing (as in TGMC they don't give 2 f*cks about it). But because weapons are diverse and strong and xenos are powerful and numerous.

One simple marine in CM won't make or break the round. We all know the robustos who WILL get 2-4 kills as a simple marine and we all know the veteran xenos who will get 20-30% of total kills alone. And with all that, STILL 10% of people in certain roles (spec, CAS, OB) gets 90% of kills while 90% of marines are lucky to kill one or no xenos at all, even with armed to the teeth with many guns and ammo. And that is sad. If you are a marine there is 90% chance, you are not influencing the rounds like....at all.

On the other hand, in TGMC I saw waaaay too many times single marines turning tides, as you CAN get 1-5 kills EVERY round if you are at least decent in this game. The end result? Marines are freaking TALKING, bantering, trade ammo, nades, weapons. There is cohesion, tactics in place as a group of 5 can wipe out an entire hive so you bet your *ss we are going to talk tactics and approach to kick their *ss.

And at the same time we had 15 marines die in 30 second thanks to xenos doing the same, blocking exists while 5 boilers gassed our position and murdered those who just wanted to run away. And it was beautiful.

In CM don't know 99% of the time who I even talk to as I forget their name instantly as they don't matter at all. In TGMC I remember exactly who I was giving my sidearm as he lost his gun, as we worked together and I NEED him to stay alive to help me set up the claymores for the ambush we are planning. THAT is RP for me. Not robotic repeating of the same event every single round.

The other topic I started what could CM implement from TGMC is exactly about this. CM could be the ultimate RP game if they would tweak the game to be RP friendly not force us with a ban hammer as we see with this post...it's not working.
    Last edited by Fix it again Tony; 03-06-2021 at 10:07 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you really just don't like the culture of the playerbase, which is fine man but all of your 'solutions' are basically you saying "I know best, lets force 90% of the players to do what I want".
    But I do know best.
    CM became the #1 server under my Management (and others), maintained a Medium RP environment and produced the fastest most extensive development within that time-frame.
    With that said, a lot of what I have to say about RP Standards, rules and development comes from calculated experience with factual evidence to back it up and isn't just my opinion.

You can say I'm one of the causes of RP degrading on the server, and in your views of what good RP is, I probably am (certain other milsim CO players have stated much worse about me), but I also can't count the amount of hilarious and engaging RP stories I've gotten involved in with other players, often players who would normally just go deploy to kill beans by doing fun silly stuff like bars or pranking MP's etc. You can either stomp out the latter to try and chase your idealistic dream of bringing back 2015 with a playerbase that doesen't give a shit, or you can embrace what you have and just open up more avenues and take away more of the constraints that holds back emergent shenanigans and adventures coming about from player interaction, not forcing that interaction down peoples throats in the most mind numbing ways like "stand in a line and ask for basic equipment for 10 minutes".
    This is arguably the excuse you you hear from every player is "RP Standards are already fucked, lets just give up and embrace it". I for one am actually for this, I genuinely believe CM would have an easier time abandoning any semblance of RP and just move onto a pure TDM. However given that the Staff Team continues to state CM is going to remain RP oriented then I'm going to defend it and push stronger standards until that changes.

I've said this before Windhealer, but I'm a strong believer you're a casualty of your environment and if you were surrounded by a higher tier of roleplay and an environment that promoted legit Roleplay then you'd be a much better Roleplayer.

This argument that players choose the Roleplay Standards is barbaric and unfounded. This argument that Roleplay standards can't be promoted, encouraged or influenced is ridiculous. Lastly, the argument that everyone on CM wants Low-RP/No-RP is non-sense and a ridiculous statement.

This game was Medium-RP a few years ago, this wasn't a century ago with an entirely different generation but rather a different mindset of players and staff. People need to stop acting like it's impossible or ridiculous for CM to return to higher standards or that those standards "DoNt wOrK rP BoRiNg". The game prospered years ago, was the number one server for a reason so the argument that "Players dont want that" is delusional and a scapegoat.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget atmosphere determines order and RP all together. No one can RP if everyone is greytiding like an autist on meth, there is no order if everyone is shouting memes and acting like 5 year olds instead of military (semi) professionals, if the game has an arcade room on a serious military vessel and something stupid like integrated memes like alien mommy milker no one could take it serious.

The point is the atmosphere, player RP, and order must be in sync or it all goes to hell.

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the shitters. We have the weapons. We need MPs. MPs like SSGT Amelia Locke and LCDR William "Jester" Crmison. MPs like SSGT Rex Texas and LT Brett McMatherson. We need you all. Service gurantees citizenship.

I've stated this many times but there's no fun in being a shitter when everyone around you is a shitter too. Breaking a window in the brig when there's no MPs or a single bald one? Boring. Breaking a window when all of the MP mains are there: now that's fun!

People who are saying that TGMC is better are pretty much all shitters, who got caught a few times, had to do their brig time and now are trying to take their revenge on the server. If you feel that TGMC is so perfect, go play that, what's the point of having 2 servers doing the same thing?

Now I'm going to go even further than Feweh here and probably be the only man defending the squad requisition rooms. There is a reason why every single real life military has the same oppressive structure. Because it works. Having decent soldiers would always be better than a bunch of rambos who think they're hot shit. I've been reading some memoirs from the Spanish Civil War and that was one of the obvious things about it. To be REALLY effective at CM TDM you actually need the very basic milsim RP, the way the gameplay is set up. I think the asymmetry and the hardness of it is actually one of the greatest things about CM. If you want to kill one million bugs alone, there are what, thousands of games you can play instead.

So I believe that it's a duty of the command, MPs and the admins to actually socialize the player base, turning them into a proper soldiers. Unfortunately you can barely do that after the deployment has started. Squad requisition rooms are not just the RP encouraging thing Feweh is talking about, but a compliance scenario. You fail the test, you get punished.

Most of the people arrested after failing those type of scenarios do become better soldiers in the end. I've probably arrested more of my men than any other SL player on the server. I even BEd some. Most of them actually improved after that and were way more beneficial to the force in the end.

If anything we need more of such compliance scenarios, that would allow us to socialize the revolving door of baldies better. Not going to happen, but it should. For example the medbay storage, maybe there should be more stuff there, giving a small benefit to the players, but pretty much being a trap to get you arrested.

I also always wanted more ML enfrocement in the operational area, at the hand of SLs.

As for the state of the RP on the server, in my opinion it has been getting somewhat better in general, but there are some noticeable things that got worse.

Firstly the command. We've lost pretty much all of the great COs and most of the new ones try to be nice, to the detriment of the compliance among their men. Don't get me wrong, an odd Dinkle or Windhealer is nice, but we need more Carsons and Crimsons.

Staff Officer corps are in a sad state, it was always bad, but I think it got worse now.

We have too many green SLs, nothing really wrong with them, but they just don't have what it takes yet.

The squad culture is better than it was a year ago in my opinion. Alpha is in a great state, due to hard work put by some SSGTs. Bravo is the nicest and most compliant Bravo there ever was at least since I've joined the game. Charlie is......... Delta seems to have lost a large part of its toxicity, but also some squad culture too.

The total number of regular shitters is pretty low now too.

Please stop complaining and set MP to medium.
    Last edited by sg2002; 03-08-2021 at 10:33 AM.
    Roman 'Fire' Kacew

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sg2002 View Post
    ... Mps like ssgt rex texas ... We need you all. Service gurantees citizenship.

Rex texas shown in positive light -------------------------------------------
    Rex texas proved to be a shitler as mp -------------------------------------
    Countless number of times --------------------------------------------------
    Rest of the post invalid ------------------------------------------------------
    Worth of reading it = 0 ------------------------------------------------------
    Shutdown ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what CABAL, I have my suspicions that YOU are Rex Texas. The man is completely incapable of understanding human emotions or anything beyond the ML as it is written. So even if it's not you it's a similar AI built on the same manufacturing line.
    Roman 'Fire' Kacew