User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Misti Rockwell - Commanding Officer Application

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, by the way, the conference room hold is not that good in my opinion. It's a good isolated location, but it's too small for any sizable marine force and would be very vulnerable to boiler fire. Wanna see more of those actually, to confirm my thoughts.
    Roman 'Fire' Kacew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okie dokie, figured id get this done before I procrastinate too much! I've only personally had ya as my XO one round, which was arguably one of my favorite rounds in a bit. And even though it was just one round it was a long 2-3 hour round, and I had a blast. From our co-briefing to the nuke detonation I enjoyed havin ya in CIC, even if I left for around 30 minutes. Not only that but ive been watching you a bit since your first round as XO, and I automatically liked you better than almost all the XO players and even some new applicants. Which is sayin somethin but you have been doing a great job, and the only thing ive noticed was maybe a few missing announcements for not super important things.

I enjoy playin with ya, and I know you know your stuff. Even if ya haven't played much SL you are experienced in the job, and you've put the time into practicing ML as an MP, which is great. Also cool dialogue focused way of tellin your app story.

I have to say, your prolly one of my fav XOs, and this is probalby one of my more invested +1s ive given.

P.S.

play more XO before ya get accepted, I wanna have some more epic rounds with ya. 10/10 would almost BE you during Co-briefing again.
    Whitelisted CO and Legacy Mentor Gang Member

Norman the synthetic

Commanding Officer Council Member Pahndoomack's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're still pretty new to commanding overall, though I won't cite playtimes, my experience with you is limited and I have not heard very much from others of your XO'ing.
    I have a few questions:

1.) You're about to hold briefing when a PFC runs into the briefing podium in the standard briefing room and steals the only megaphone before getting trapped inside by the doors. You order him to drop it, he stares at you for a moment before he tosses it out of the podium where another PFC picks it up and runs off. MPs are unable to arrive in a timely manner and you have no non-lethals on you. What is your course of action?

2.) You've woken up and marines are screaming for a mutiny over comms while the XO is panicking asking for your assistance. The ship alert level is red and there are marines gathering outside of CIC, MPs are getting riot equipment from their lockers. An official mutiny is NOT YET declared and neither MPs nor Marines are currently engaged. How do you approach the situation?

3.) What have been your biggest flaws in the past when playing CIC/SL, and how have you reflected upon yourself to improve upon those flaws?
    Alberto 'Topper' Staffer
    Sam 'Snake' Creed
    Jack Houser
    Synthetic Jacobs

Discord Pahndoomak#7127

Frankly, stuff.

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You app seems fine to me, and the relevant story is good.

I've seen you XO a few times and definitely think you should XO more while this app is up, but as far as I remember you've done good in the role. I do remember playing with you with you as Bravo SL or me as Bravo SL.

You had plenty of questions about ML, but came up to multiple people and asked them, then played some MP/MW rounds yourself and I remember you being competent in your role.

Finally, you are a good role-player and put heart into your characters which I think is something that fits the CO WL very well and balances out the low-ish XO hours in my book.

So that's a +1 from me. I really don't have much more feedback for you apart from the universal "play more command roles to get noticed", but you already do that and I trust you will keep doing it.
    Last edited by silencer_pl; 03-07-2021 at 02:51 AM.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sg2002 View Post
    Oh, by the way, the conference room hold is not that good in my opinion. It's a good isolated location, but it's too small for any sizable marine force and would be very vulnerable to boiler fire. Wanna see more of those actually, to confirm my thoughts.
    bold of you to assume boiler live that long

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pahndoomack View Post
    1.) You're about to hold briefing when a PFC runs into the briefing podium in the standard briefing room and steals the only megaphone before getting trapped inside by the doors. You order him to drop it, he stares at you for a moment before he tosses it out of the podium where another PFC picks it up and runs off. MPs are unable to arrive in a timely manner and you have no non-lethals on you. What is your course of action?
    Frankly, in a realistic scenario, I'd tell the PFC to get out of the briefing podium, and get him tossed out if he doesn't. I don't have the time nor will to deal with the trouble that is arresting a random PFC at the briefing room, and it's a prime way to get everyone to be pissy about you, too. If MPs ever do arrive, I tell them to arrest the guy who tossed the megaphone for Disorderly Conduct and Theft, since they stole the megaphone. During all this, I'd tell my XO/SO/Synth unit to quickly run off and fetch me the megaphone from the Hangar brief. That should only take about a minute, so no big deal.

2.) You've woken up and marines are screaming for a mutiny over comms while the XO is panicking asking for your assistance. The ship alert level is red and there are marines gathering outside of CIC, MPs are getting riot equipment from their lockers. An official mutiny is NOT YET declared and neither MPs nor Marines are currently engaged. How do you approach the situation?
    Push the XO away from the goddamn Comms console because he clearly already fucked up plenty and shouldn't make it any worse with dumb announcements or threats. Make an announcement formally announcing my arrival to the scene, and asking people to explain to me, rationally, what is going on, and why. I'll go to the front of CiC and ask people why they are borderline rioting against the XO. Did he OB Marines? Did he go dictator-mode and had like 6 people arrested for minor offenses? I need to know what actually happened.

MPs are told to NOT approach the CiC from the upper medbay ladders, and instead ORDERED to go up from the astronav/CiC ladders in the back, then get into CiC. It's important to me, in this moment, that the crowd does not see the MPs rocking up in fat riot gear, since I've often seen this fact make people spring into action. Meanwhile, I'd try to pacify the crowd. Since I, the Captain, am now on scene, I can personally deal with the XO and possibly have him arrested for Neglect of Duty, Manslaughter, yada yada. Depends on what actually happened. I try my best to get the crowd to disperse by having them put faith in me, since they SHOULD know I'm on their side, as I only just woke up and couldn't POSSIBLY be part of the reason they are angry.

If none of this works? Frankly, I'd not stand in their way. If it's the will of the people, I'd 'suggest' to the XO that he surrender and step down, and I'd perform the demotion personally if he does, to once again assure myself the favour of the crowd. In this moment, loyalty to my second-in-command is absolutely secondary to me. The survival of myself and my command is more important, as is the continued order aboard the ship that I command. If the XO holding any sort of authority is a threat to any of thoe two, then so be it.

3.) What have been your biggest flaws in the past when playing CIC/SL, and how have you reflected upon yourself to improve upon those flaws?
    I touched upon this in an earlier question, but I main Bravo and thus Bravo SL when I do roll for it. As such, it's a flaw of mine to get too invested in little rp situations on the ground, be it talking to people in the FOB or helping out rookie troopers, either PVTs or new Engineers (Bravo, I've noticed, is a hotbed for people trying out Squad Engi). I often get too distracted trying to teach these people personally, and may forget to perform an order, like organizing a Fireteam or specifically sending a guard to a certain part of the FOB. That can come back to bite me.

As XO, my biggest flaw I feel is that I'm not willing to take risks half as much as the next person. I very much prefer lengthy, defensive holdouts, or even FOB sieges, over trying to (meta-)rush the Xenos, or even trying to push through their very lines with brute force by just sending EVERYBODY in, including Bravo. I've seen these aggressive tactics work... and I've also seen them end an op in 10 minutes flat. In any case, I'm more timid when it comes to commanding the troops and sometimes order a retreat a little too early in retrospect. I'm unsure if it's really a major flaw though, and I'd probably just stamp it off as my personal leadership style, since I've had plenty of long, turnaround games with these tactics.
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taterthetank View Post
    P.S.

play more XO before ya get accepted, I wanna have some more epic rounds with ya. 10/10 would almost BE you during Co-briefing again.
    Why in the ever-loving frick did you have your goddamn Mateba out DURING BRIEFING anyway? Madlad.
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Commanding Officer Council Member Pahndoomack's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, your answers are solid and represent the right kind of mindset that's desired for CO. Both of the situations in 1 and 2 have happened in the past and your answers are good for both.

Remember that you can do everything you can the best you can and still get slammed by salty poo brains, don't let it get to you.

Here's to future fun and masochism, try not to retire a week after getting the WL.

+1
    Alberto 'Topper' Staffer
    Sam 'Snake' Creed
    Jack Houser
    Synthetic Jacobs

Discord Pahndoomak#7127

Frankly, stuff.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)