User Tag List

View Poll Results: How good or accurate is this guide?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pretty good

7 70.00%
  • There are other ways to play, but this is good.

3 30.00%
  • I ... don't think this is a good way to play

0 0%

Thread: Ghost Reporting (Scout guide) (Updated Version)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ghost Reporting (Scout guide) (Updated Version)

So ... you want to be a Starcraft Ghost in CM eh?

Well, you came to the right place.

Let's start with your gear:

So ... the first thing you'll notice is that you have a no-charge, perma-cloak ... pretty sweet right?
    Well turns out you have a couple of limitations while cloaked, mainly being:
    Unable to fire weapons in cloak, and for 2-3 seconds after de-cloaking.
    You also can no-longer prime grenades while cloaked.
    You can do these, however, while you are cloaked:
    Grab things while cloaked.
    Throw things (like knives)
    Stab critically wounded xenos
    Laze for CAS and OB (though a circle will appear above your head)

You have Thermal NVG's, which is pretty sweet for noticing threats in the dark and beyond.

You also have the M4RA Battle Rifle, which is one of the BEST guns in the game with high-damage and customizability in terms of attachments.

You have armor and a helmet as well (do not turn your armor light on, it's a dead giveaway for any xeno that even slightly notices you). You unfortunately cannot put armor plates on your armor.

Alright, moving towards the more customizable part of your gear-set.
    I get an extra normal magazine, and then 2 more impact magazines in terms of spec points / gear.

For your belt slot, I typically choose the ammo belt to carry my normal ammo.

I then get the first-aid pouch, and then the large mag pouch to hold my impact magazines and have my armor hold the incendiary magazines.

I usually get the long-range scope for the M4RA, with angled-grip for faster wield time, and a suppressor because I don't want my position given away to xenos within 20-24 tiles of me to come and gank me.

You should also seriously consider getting throwing knives so you can deal damage while cloaked. Knives do 100 damage each, and go through armor. So if you examine a xeno, and they're in crit, throw a knife or 2 at them. If they go down, finish them off with your main knife.
    If not, they'll be too worried about getting their ass kicked to worry about you picking up your knives.

Alright, now let's go with gameplay:

The first thing you'll notice is that your cloak is STUPIDLY hard to detect, especially against weeds. I have literally just WALKED past an entire xeno incursion force and not a SINGLE care was given.
    However, anyone who is deliberately hunting you, and is good at spotting you ... you should get out of there instead of sticking around waiting for THEM to leave.

The next thing you'll notice is that your binoculars give you a TREMENDOUS amount of power should command and CAS actually listen to you. Usually you'll want to leave CAS to the SL's, as they will be at the front-line. Your job is typically to give OB cords of the pylons, and force the xenos to pull back.

There are several "ways" to play scout/ghost spec.

This is the way I personally play:

Sabotage

If you can sabotage the back-line, this gives the marines land, they have more room to breathe, and more time to treat wounded and get them back onto the field, giving themselves more land, and time.

If you can sabotage the side-lines and ganking positions, this gives the marines that are travelling to and from the FOB to the front-line a SAFE route of passage.

If you can sabotage the HIVE, you can ... hooooo do SO many things.
    Pull the hive WAAAAY back with an OB on just the out-skirts of their anti-OB ceiling.
    Free captured marines.
    COMPLETELY MESS UP their pooled larva, which counts for MANY, MAAAANY kills.
    Probably more I'm missing

Sabotaging the back-line:

Probably the hardest of the 3 to do, since there are active xenos just nearby. I usually just call in an OB on or near the pylons to my best judgement.

Sabotaging the side-lines and ganking positions:

This is probably the easiest way to contribute to the battle. Because you can do it literally on the way to anything.
    On the way to the side of the back-line? Clear purple sac nodes along the way. Drones don't really re-weed the colony because they're too busy near the front/back line supporting their main force. Which really fucks over the flankers who want to recover because ... they have no weeds to recover on.
    On the way to the hive? Sabotage their back-line by clearing weeds along the way so they have less move-speed to escape if they get pushed.

A really good way to spot lurkers or runner resting is ... using your binos or your scope.

pre-load incendiary in the chamber, then load stun- I mean impact rounds as the main magazine. This will make your first shot tag them for incendiary damage-over-time. Then hitting them with impact rounds FORCES them to do 1 of 2 things:
    Keep running with a small chance of success.
    Put out the fire by rolling on the ground, stunning themselves in the process so you can just kill them.

They can't LEAP or POUNCE, because impact-rounds STUN and DAZE. They can't ... really do ANY ability.

Sabotaging the Hive:

This is probably the most IMPORTANT thing you can do, but is one of the harder ones to do.

First thing is finding the hive. This should be some-what easy considering metas and all that.

Second thing is to evaluate the situation.
    If there are caps in there, you should see if there are any gaps or eggs planted (usually there will be, but there might be some gaps). If NOT, then you basically have god-signed permission to free those caps and let them cause HAVOC inside of the hive.
    If there is absolutely nothing in the hive, not even a larva, and there's no eggs planted ... even better, you have, once again, god-signed permission to destroy the spawning pool.

usually, however, the above will not be present. Which is when you turn your time to one of 2 things:

1: your trusty binoculars
    If the hive location isn't deep underground, then get cords of juuuuust outside of the hive's "thick resin ceiling", and have command load HE or Incendiary in the OB Chamber.

Give the cords.

Confirm hits.
    GET THE FUCK OUTTA DODGE BEFORE HALF IF NOT ALL OF THE HIVE COME CRASHING DOWN ANGRILY ON YOU FOR DESTROYING 10-20 POTENTIAL XENOS

2: THIS IS MY RIFLE. THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT, BUT THIS ONE IS MINE!

This is where the process is a little tedious.

If you equipped the scope and the suppressor, this will be eaaaaaasyyyyyyy.

Get a clear shot on the pool from a long-range position.
    Wait for larva to pop out or rest. Then de-cloak, shoot 1 or 2 shots on them, re-cloak.

You can also knife a larva if they happen to get too close to you, it kills them that way too.

Nothin' to it except getting out of dodge or making another position if some xenos want to try and ruin your day.

The main thing is to ALWAYS be checking your surroundings, and ALWAYS having an escape option or a plan.

Remember:

"The greatest weapon a ghost has is their mind. Everything else is supplemental." -Nova
    Is an Ambidexterous marine and xeno main.

Anekcahap "Kneecap" Volkov
    Agent X41833N

"Some of the best words are never said, but are rather understood."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good guide. For scout spec, I've had pretty good success with bringing a few M15s along, plus my C4, and the occasional HIDP.
    one M15 on the hive core, or hell, any of the buildings near it (pool, morphers, ect), will kill it. HIDP the pool for that extra "hecc them noodles".
    I typically take a machete in the belt slot as ghost spec, so I can open a way in for me easier, and clear them nodes in one hit.