View Poll Results: Remove planetside comms

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 42.25%
  • No

41 57.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remove planetside comms: yes/no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remove planetside comms: yes/no?

While RTOs are pretty cool, they're somewhat redundant, at least in my opinion. SL already gets command comm access and can give orders. So what if we made RTO perform a separate role? If groundside comms didn't exist, the RTOs' phones would be vital to marine communication and they could actually be useful beyond being knock-off SL. Also they should probably have engie and construction at level 1, not 2.

SL could get a tablet/whatever to make squad announcements.

This would make the squad sticking together more important.

Scout would probably need a phone of his own though, since one of the kit's functions is JTAC.

I do vaguely remember something like this getting mentioned when techwebs were first announced, but still, seems like a good option.
    Last edited by Sigil; 03-10-2021 at 12:23 PM.
    Viktor Kovalevsky
    Martin Dark

02.10.20 - mentor

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big no.

To be honest RTO in their main stated role are kinda barely useful. May have a use rarely when the comms are down, but generally it's more of a fluff thing, than a useful feature. Mostly to prank call CIC and get screamed at by the XO\CO\SEA.

Personally I would have preferred if RTOs were Squad Supply Opertors(SSO). Whom would have an explicit duty not just to do techwebs but also organize and coordinate supply drops with the SOs and req. But currently it's fine and finally gives my SEAs something to do.
    Last edited by sg2002; 03-10-2021 at 12:25 PM.
    Roman 'Fire' Kacew

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather not lose all comms entirely, but splitting comms would be a better approach

Losing planetside comms entirely will cause marines to lose coordination, and just having no comms will cause everyone to just wander around cluelessly wandering where one guy is looking for the rest. Theres also the maps being in favor of xenos because of how they can take advantage of their versatility in being able to go alone without getting the risk of death from just a single hit.

Splitting comms between Planetside and Shipside would be more possible without interfering much about marine communication, as most coordination are mostly within planetside, with shipside to planetside comms being normally associated with JTAC, Command, Req, and maybe medical, where engi channel is a dead one. RTO can communicate with all these departments, but their communication isnt a 24/7 thing that needs to be actively stable, people only call Req when they need it, same thing with JTAC and when medical has some new chem. This leaves to Command and Marine communication, which command doesnt entirely need to be able to communicate because we have overwatch so command can see what marine sees, and the only interaction outside that is OB, which where RTO steps in.

basically, communication between shipside and planetside isn't that important, and RTO can replace that role, the only problem here would be the need to change/remove JTAC kits, intel kits(for fulton), and Mortar(which, my suggestion is to add a phone to it)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryth View Post
    (which, my suggestion is to add a phone to it)
    Hm. Deployable phone stands? Like, one per squad? Or two total.
    Viktor Kovalevsky
    Martin Dark

02.10.20 - mentor

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would prefer to split, but according to Triiodine that would be a coding nightmare and laggy, so hell yeah, remove comms. We've got RTOs, let's use them. Add in deployable phones so we can put a phone in (LV example), LZ, Hydro, Frontline.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may be an unpopular opinion but I believe that if you remove planet side comms from the game, marines will win more often. No comms means more cooperation and more reason to stick with your squad,squad leader etc. Exenos would be finding marines alone less and less often with the RTOs pretty much replacing IOs and being in squads there is no reason to stay alone anymore which is great for an actual CM experience in my opinion. However I think removing comms is not a good choice it would be better if ground support JTAC mechanics are overhauled and marines have a reason to call Ground support with RTOs would be more beneficial to the game.

Also
    People have a tendency to blame bald marines for losing rounds generally but IMO it is the robust marines that actually throw most rounds away due to staying alone and suicide in to exenos giving captures,not cooparating or communicating with others etc.
    Aden Cooper

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigil View Post
    Hm. Deployable phone stands? Like, one per squad? Or two total.
    as in phone to the mortar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    too many players to make this work.
    Vibing as: Dismas Hind.

THE BOIS (And gals)
    https://pastebin.com/DHCmg4nM

Shoutouts to Manezinho for the pixelart

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Critilius View Post
    This may be an unpopular opinion but I believe that if you remove planet side comms from the game, marines will win more often. No comms means more cooperation and more reason to stick with your squad,squad leader etc. Exenos would be finding marines alone less and less often with the RTOs pretty much replacing IOs and being in squads there is no reason to stay alone anymore which is great for an actual CM experience in my opinion. However I think removing comms is not a good choice it would be better if ground support JTAC mechanics are overhauled and marines have a reason to call Ground support with RTOs would be more beneficial to the game.

Also
    People have a tendency to blame bald marines for losing rounds generally but IMO it is the robust marines that actually throw most rounds away due to staying alone and suicide in to exenos giving captures,not cooparating or communicating with others etc.
    This is the most interesting and curious take on removing comms I have ever read, would like to know why you think it helps marines win. I have seen several instances where marines lose com and they just die due to lack of communication and cohesion.

Im genuinely curious

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RTO backpacks could have an area of effect, if the area of effect covers marines they can speak on their own radio. Could work I think
    Captain Elzbieta Brygida