Personal InformationByond ID?
    Katskan

Marine Name
    Fenn Nyx

Other Whitelist Applications
    None

Character InformationName of the Synth Character you wish to play
    Nocturne

What is your Synth�s quirk and personality?
    Nocturne's early life was spent in the criminal underworld of a major city, and as such has adopted some terms associated with that life, such as referring to a rescue as a "heist" or recon as casing the joint. He also developed a fascination with human criminal motivation, interested more in why someone commits a crime than in stopping it.

Why do you want to be a synthetic/why should we whitelist you?
    I enjoy support roles, especially medical, and much prefer to spend my time setting up other players for success by supporting the rear-echelon tasks.

Synthetic Character Story
    Recovery

The ship is nearly silent. The quiet thrumming of the engines keeping a minimum of power online leaves lighting damp and the air stale. The light sliding through open viewports reminds me of the city. We used to do most of our business down in the lower levels where air purification and light were stories keeping desperate youths reaching for riskier prospects. The light means we’re close, and it’s time for me to leave the observation deck and wake the crew. The hypersleep bays are simple to operate for someone with my database, it takes mere moments to set everything in motion, moments until the peaceful dark is lit and filled with rustling, grumbling humans. The older, more experienced crew seem to welcome the reprieve brought on by the presence of a synthetic. The newer crew are jittery and uneasy. I notice one of the privates is staring at me. As he wrestles a cigarette into his mouth I offer him a light, asking him why he started smoking. He raises an eyebrow, so I ask him if he’d prefer I shut off air filtration so he could breathe more smoke. The position his lips make is one I’ve learned means I scared him. No laughter. A failed attempt at humor. As the crew begin their planning I sit neatly in the back of the briefing room with my dice, careful to keep them silent as I twist them in my hand. I don’t want to distract from the captain. She details her orders, our score is any survivors or black box from a ship in distress. She wants me to get the marines through obstacles, and I stand and wave when she calls out my name. When dismissed I swiftly make my way to engineering and sign out some kit from the chief, then group with the marines in the ready area. The dropship pilot makes an effective seal and it’s a simple matter to hack through the stricken ship’s airlock. As we enter the scent of dead flesh and sulfur begins to make the marines gag, and I raise my flashlight so the light down the hallway doesn’t falter. I attempt to offer some pats on their shoulders, but one of the marines still vomits. I’ll use promethazine next time. Or maybe ondansetron, for fewer side effects. Many of them fit masks to their faces, and we continue. Dead echoes reverberate through empty hallways, the question incubating in my mind is where the bodies are. As teams disperse I’m called to help with a barricade on the way to engineering. It’s simple to clear a path for someone my size by bending some metal, but it takes me cutting to make a hole big enough for marines in full kit. I stay with them until the entire operation shudders to a halt. A deep roar and groan of metal, followed by whispers of a scream on the extreme edge of my hearing. Even before the call I begin running toward the signs of distress, following the sounds of anguish. Three marines in pieces, one trying to stem the blood flowing from his belly with his fingers. I halt the marines rushing up behind me, having spotted signs of danger. To their eyes it must be invisible, tiny markings of camouflaged triggers which must connect to an explosive trap. I begin working toward the injured marine, weaving through the detectors hidden beneath and behind grates and plating. It takes me seconds to reach the mark, good because the marines behind me had lowered below sufficient respiratory tidal volume. They return to normal when I get to their friend. I retrieve small box from a chunk of meat that used to be their medic, popping its seal and begin working on the marine. Once safe, I pick him up and carry him back to safety. One of the marines has been spraying marker paint to keep anyone else from falling into the traps, and other I can see is getting his radio out to message the unit. I set the marine down, prepare him for a longer trip, and then carry him back to the dropship. The senior medic takes him from me and begins more definitive treatment so I can get back to the rest of the crew. The rest of our search is uneventful, and we find evidence of sporadic fighting throughout scattered parts of the ship. Of particular note, however, are spent shell casings, all non-USCM issue, and many from UPP pattern weapons. The black box also appears to have been removed already, suggesting the attack may have been to cover up a discovery this ship had made. With careful progress we restore the ship’s power and begin accelerating it on a ballistic trajectory for recovery, switching its distress beacon to a USCM retrieval signal. Returning to the dropship, the marines are quiet, it isn’t until they’re out of kit and spending some last time in the rec room that they begin shouting and conversing as normal. Three dead, one critical in exchange for a ship. I call that a successful heist.

Description:
    Nocturne is a generation three synthetic who was initially stolen by a team of professional criminals who intended to use him as part of their crew. He frustrated them with total refusal to perform acts of violence outside of self defense, so the crew abused him by forcing him into situations where he would be attacked. His primary function, however, was technical expertise in defeating security systems as well as providing black market medical support. During his time there, his experiences of disparities between people living in different parts of the city, and in different lines of work resulted in his fascination with motivations of human criminal behavior. He was recovered by law enforcement after making a decision during a heist to trigger a silent alarm, interested in seeing the interaction between a hardened professional criminal group and some of law enforcement’s best. After being verified as functioning according to programming, he was adjusted and updated with new restrictions and given to the USCM as both a sort of punishment sentence as well as according to his original intended function as a colonial synthetic.

ExperienceHow familiar are you with Engineering?
    Proficient in shipside and groundside operations. Familiar with operating communications, power and emplacements, as well as reclamation of material and construction of defenses. Also familiar with maintenance of military vehicles and aircraft, as well as shipside cannons.

How familiar are you with Command?
    Moderately. Proficient in overwatch and communications, including providing orbital fire and material support, less so in squad/fireteam lead.

How familiar are you with Medical?
    Extremely. Memorized all surgery, max doses on chems, and synthesis of commonly requested chems. Can also formulate new chem mixes on the fly.

How familiar are you with Requisitions?
    Proficient in paperwork, communicating with squads to provide what's needed without spending too much, and with delivering to troops in the field. Also familiar with stocked items to get troops ready for initial deployment faster.

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.
    May use non-lethal force if being attacked unlawfully in order to effect an escape. May also use force to defend crew in order to effect both of our escape, with lethal force if absolutely necessary for our withdraw. Can also transport ammunition or autonomous weapons systems for marines to use/deploy.

ConfirmationsAre you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
    Yes

Do you understand that you cannot advertise your application on any platform for votes. Do you also understand you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?
    Yes

Are you currently banned from our Discord, and if so, why?
    No

Other InformationDo you have anything else you would like to include about your application?
    Had a 3hr ban at the start of my play on the server, no communication was offered so I don't 100% know why. Based on asking questions on discord it was probably for leaving early without going to cryo.

I'm very much medically minded (my real-world job is as a flight medic), so having access to the top-tier medical class is very appealing to me, as is that class also having the ability to provide more areas of support around the ship and in the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be honest, I don't see how a synthetic spent their 'early' life in the underworld as they are a product.... And since they are a product they usually go straight to where they are sold to which usually means the marines and whatnot. So why would the marines buy a synthetic that spent most of their life (Up until that point) in the underworld of society? Where it could been damage and have been altered by any underground technician who knows how to tinker with synthetics.

The personality is the main issue with me. But I aint a synthetic senator and all so who knows. It is an original personality but it leaves too much openness for this synthetic to go rogue or more easily go rogue given how they act. And because of that I cant exactly support this app. so a rather unfortunate -1 for me.

With that being said I do have to give props for knowing all of the things and bobs, and also giving props for being a flight medic. Hard world and yeah, good luck out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To clarify, I believe in the synthetic as an artificial person, so what I describe as "early life" is getting immersed in that idea, meaning the period right after a synthetic's first activation when they are impressionable to their first exposure to the world around them. Similar to the infamous synthetic known as "Ash" assigned to the Nostromo, a synthetic who is being exploited using loopholes in their code can become erratic and dangerous, which is the same situation Nocturne displayed after being exploited in the same fashion, leading to capture. Once returned to qualified technicians instead of back-alley goons, it's not an overly difficult task to instill confidence in a system such as the USCM which pledges not to violate operating principles in the same way. We also know the justice system in the universe is not averse to sentencing non-violent criminals to military service, and as a synthetic is a sentient it was my imagination that they might be tried in court for their part in criminal activity, and subsequently sentenced to an outer-colonies posting in the USCM.

Synthetic Council Member Jakkkk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the hold up on council responses to the app.

Before we get into the app, do you have any synths that can vouch for your IC competency? You seem to be rather unknown.
    Synthetic Senator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's entirely plausible that at the moment I'm unrecognized on account of being somewhat quiet and relatively new. I figured worst case was that I'd re-apply later with lessons learned from a first attempt here. I've mostly seen Jacobs and Mia in passing, not sure if they took notice of me. I'll also ask around in the discord to chat with folk and maybe get to know some more folks.

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I play Mia, I've seen you a couple times, but that's not nearly enough to gauge who are you or how do you play.

Nocturne is not a good synth name, it's snowflakey. Each synth needs to have a normal, regular human first name as they ought not to stick out like a sore thumb amongst the Almayer crew. That goes double for appearance, natural eye colors, no outrageous haircuts and no hair colors that look like those dollar store hair sprays that final year gradeschoolers buy and use on their final day.

Quirk is fine, however the story does not showcase the quirk in any way and is completely inadequate. A good story needs to feature a lot of dialogue showing how your synthetic talks and acts, should be written in third person amongst other things (Sora has written some great writing tips, look up pinned messages in the whitelist-app-help discord channel to find them) to be easier and more enjoyable to read. And finally, the story needs to be significantly larger, this doesn't even take up the entirety of my tiny laptop's screen. We heavily recommend you use an external, browser-based text editor like Google Docs and paste the link to it in the app, since the whitelist app form itself does not allow you to save your changes.

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?
    Yes
    You can ahelp ingame at any time to see your notes and you can see your exact ban reason, by the way.

Thank you for applying for the synthetic whitelist and I hope you will make good of all the feedback and advice you will be given.

Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your story but the jobban doesn't fill me with confidence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by special2kira View Post
    I like your story but the jobban doesn't fill me with confidence.
    If you would kindly refer to the entirety of the form, there was no job ban. Please utilize the entirety of the presented information and ideally offer sustains/corrections as needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'd like to ask for more input but take an L on this one. It's one of those cases of I didn't understand what I didn't know, and now I'm getting an idea of how much I didn't know. Please keep inputs coming, but I'd like to try again later with something that I'm more proud of presenting. This isn't my best work and I want to do better.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean I still like your story it's nice to read a good story now and then but idk about how you are personally.
    so good luck next time in applying!