User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Bring back permanent damage to Marines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been playing this game since the Sulaco, when SAW's and LO lines were still a thing. Took a break 2 years ago and just got back into the game.
    And I've got to say, since playing as a marine again, I've literally only had to medevac once, and that was for a leg I got chopped off. I have died 4 times in a round and just keep fighting with 4 broken bones splinted. I dont ever notice myself bleeding out and havent seen internal bleeding yet. I really think getting injured or killed as a marine needs someway to get punished for it. As it stands right now I honestly feel kind of immortal if I'm not alone and don't get captured.
    Also I really miss being able to resist out of a nest, because there was a chance I could escape and do some damage. Also if more marines can escape then that means more infections that doctors can get rid of to keep busy. And I also really liked being able to carry huggers as any xeno type, causing more infections and getting more medical staff action n such.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helgraf95 View Post
    I've been playing this game since the Sulaco, when SAW's and LO lines were still a thing. Took a break 2 years ago and just got back into the game.
    And I've got to say, since playing as a marine again, I've literally only had to medevac once, and that was for a leg I got chopped off. I have died 4 times in a round and just keep fighting with 4 broken bones splinted. I dont ever notice myself bleeding out and havent seen internal bleeding yet. I really think getting injured or killed as a marine needs someway to get punished for it. As it stands right now I honestly feel kind of immortal if I'm not alone and don't get captured.
    Also I really miss being able to resist out of a nest, because there was a chance I could escape and do some damage. Also if more marines can escape then that means more infections that doctors can get rid of to keep busy. And I also really liked being able to carry huggers as any xeno type, causing more infections and getting more medical staff action n such.
    Fighting with a broken foot is pure pain, you move so slow and the splint can break.

The biggest issue is rounds last 45 minutes-1 hour typically meaning no one wants to evac and miss the round.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    Fighting with a broken foot is pure pain, you move so slow and the splint can break.

The biggest issue is rounds last 45 minutes-1 hour typically meaning no one wants to evac and miss the round.
    At some point in 2019 or 2020, there was a pretty major pain & slowdown reduction for fractures and broken bones.
    It is still relatively ok to run around with 3 fractures, and it becomes even less noticeable if you're using light armor - which is literally the only armor you should be running anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    Have you ever considered that mechanics that allow Marines to stay in the fight the way it is now, MIGHT be why rounds are as short as they are (partially)? Obviously there's a fuckton of issues for why rounds are less than an hour long mostly, but the fact that Marines have stuff like nanosplints basically right out of the gate now, which means you never have to re-splint a limb? Yeah. That's strong. Marines not needing to go up for surgery is a definite contribution to short rounds. It keeps the deathball rolling, and kills attrition factors.
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Misti Rockwell View Post
    Have you ever considered that mechanics that allow Marines to stay in the fight the way it is now, MIGHT be why rounds are as short as they are (partially)? Obviously there's a fuckton of issues for why rounds are less than an hour long mostly, but the fact that Marines have stuff like nanosplints basically right out of the gate now, which means you never have to re-splint a limb? Yeah. That's strong. Marines not needing to go up for surgery is a definite contribution to short rounds. It keeps the deathball rolling, and kills attrition factors.

Except rounds were always like that. Even without chest splints, marines would just keep on trucking because having to go back for surgery is god-awful. You might as well remove normal splints along with nanosplints then because I'd rather be on the frontline with three splints and constantly have to resplint myself than go back for surgery because the round will likely be over by then. This is the mentality players have because no one wants to have to alt tab to youtube or spam "PO, cycle please." Then when they get back, the round is either over, or you're stuck in FOB siege which is the worst part of CM because it's cadehugging or going out and valiantly being swarmed. If by some miracle, the round hasn't ended by then you have to get back to the front alone and risk being ganked by a lurker or waiting for a group to get back to actually playing this game.

I'm always happy when I don't have to do anything as Doctor because it means people are getting to play the game.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time to drop massive perma-damage pill to benomains: Pernament damage might as well shorten the rounds.

How? Marines are the strongest in offence when they drop. The moment first marine steps outside of DS, they start to lose this strenght. Xenos on the other hand, are quite the opposite.
    Now lets get into a mind of average semi-robust/robust unga when perma-damage is severe:
    "Perma damage is a bitch, so we have to rush and steamroll the benos, otherwise we lose"
    Remember why marines were rushing (metarushing) before? Because xenos had maturity, they were weak at first, so going in fast gives the biggest chances to win.
    With severe perma-damage the situation would be the same, but the cause would be a bit different. With this marines would lose their offensive strenght even faster, so its even bigger incentive to rush, push and if that fails - die fast.

Yes, I'm saying this and you can quote me later if any medical rework will introduce hefty penalties for getting damaged and/or killed.
    The more marines are fragile, the more they will rush. The stronger marines are, the more they will rush.
    In that you have to find balance.

Imagine being a benomain who thinks he knows everything and just outright stating that giving marines severe perma-damage will somehow magically prolong the average lenght of a round to that magical 13:30 - 14:00.

But yes, I admit that currently marines got it pretty easy in some cases, while hard in the others.
    Two slashes from a runner, or lurker can break a feet, or hand, because no armor ever protects that, even heavy got nerfed.
    Find the balance, don't think that giving marines IB and necrosis will solve all the problems.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nerocavalier View Post
    If by some miracle, the round hasn't ended by then you have to get back to the front alone and risk being ganked by a lurker or waiting for a group to get back to actually playing this game.
    If only we had some sort of vehicle with armour that could carry personnel. I'd call it the PCA! The Personnel Carrier with Armour!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urytion View Post
    If only we had some sort of vehicle with armour that could carry personnel. I'd call it the PCA! The Personnel Carrier with Armour!
    Yes, if only it didn't take medical or command which are objectively better than transport or hovered around the frontline constantly instead of ferrying. APCs are rubbish at transport and engies are too busy to ferry using vans.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I really wanna be forced to evac because queen did her funny screen wide screech and all I could do was kanye stare while xenos did their left right left right a b start combo on me, and have the doctors give me the fluoride stare and seal me away in an autodoc without a word spoken. Also can't wait for the medic to make the executive decision to be funny and remove the majority of my limbs because "dude you should be thanking me, if I didn't remove your legs you would of gone perma from the 80 extra brute"

really bringing a new meaning to born to frag forced to evac

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyway, as said...

If you want people to go to medical you need to make the round long enough to justify that. No one wants to go fix their lung if the aliens are just going to come up in 5 seconds too or marines are just cleaning house soon. Medical works in 2-4 hour rounds and can even act as a way to relax and chill after fighting for so long, hell can take a bathroom break while they do their surgery.

Medical is just an other thing sacrificed on the alter of lowest common dominator TDM development. You want medical? You want RP? You want engineering to matter? You want fire support to mean more? You want other things then ugna ball like god dam drones to matter? You need to develop the game to fix that, and god knows how to do it anymore since it been changed from it root form so long ago. The game worked when you had maturation, you had to explore the map ( even in a bullshit exploration it still caused people to scatter about and check for meta hive spots/battle chokes and added an RP aspect), it worked when you had aliens that were scary and damaging rather then aliens shitting themselves in the sight of a 37 ( I blame the acid blood nerfs+pain nerfs making PB the king since it got rid many of the drawbacks of PBing an acidic foe though this made marines king of melee and never been fixed since).

So many things been changed and game practically requires a full overhaul of every single feature at once to fit the new vision(s). It will require ungodly amount of work for unpaid devs so RIP