User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Bring back permanent damage to Marines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t know if you guys have played Xeno recently but permanent damage was one of the few mechanics we relied on to wear down marines and establish a frontline. Now a days marines literally die and come back like zombies with no consequences which makes them appear like an endless horde. Furthermore more the time it takes for a marine to heal from death is significantly less than what it once was which is another characteristic of a horde type faction. These changes have resulted in the Xenomorphs being on constant defensive with no real way to slow down the marines aside from killing all the medics and special weapons marines. Capturing a marine is an alternative to killing, but it is extremely difficult to pull off in the frontline without assistance from the queen. Multiple players can work together (this never happens) and try to capture marines through the rotation of skills among different players, but doing so is ineffective in the frontline because of the marines’ numerical advantage and DPS.

This is obviously an issue because such a change makes one side more resilient than the other especially when one side already has a significant numerical advantage. From a design point of view I can understand the need to remove permeant damage to appeal to a Team Death Match style of game, however for several years CM has been a slow paced role playing game thus making such changes contradicts the core elements the game was built on.

If you believe these changes are justified, I highly encourage you to play xenomorphs for a week and experience the disparity in power between the two sides.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertBlackwell View Post
    medical is too easy, guy with 500 brute? easy just force feed them some bica and spam your defib on them

medical isnt hard or complex, its certainly TDM style medical
    I'd unironically love brainmed, or something similar.

Taking that much damage should have you spurting blood out the walls, and mass casualty situations should have doctors and medics having to actually black tag potentially savable patients to save others instead, skillful triage is a skill
    Anna "High-Toss" Stall

I'm a manager now
    I manage moods
    B)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Somenerd View Post
    I'd unironically love brainmed, or something similar.

Taking that much damage should have you spurting blood out the walls, and mass casualty situations should have doctors and medics having to actually black tag potentially savable patients to save others instead, skillful triage is a skill
    I know someone, somewhere must have screenshots of the 2015-2017 Era.
    They use to use crayons to mark the floor before they were removed and then switched to paper with a note.

This is all player dependent though so it completely was reliant on the player making use of these methods.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have triage holocards you can use, but functionally black tags are only ever given to DNRs and fully dead people because there's never a need to ration medical care beyond "defib that person repeatedly while the other people are bleeding, they'll be fine for like 10 minutes"
    Anna "High-Toss" Stall

I'm a manager now
    I manage moods
    B)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    people don't want perma damage back because they don't want to leave the game for 15 minutes, potentially longer if there's incompetent pilots/doctors, in a meta where rounds literally last like 30 minutes

make the rounds not end in one fight and then we'll talk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marines are too survivable and ignoring surgeries?
    Reduce hitpoints alongside injuries. This might require making current injury effects less severe.
    If more needs to be done, remove bicard/kelo injectors from the first responder kit and replace with just tricord

Requiring marines to limp across no mans land back to fob wait 20 minutes for alamo etc. is just - forget it. That's not a real solution, it's just unfun timewasting that nobody will enjoy.

medevac needs to become braindead easy to use and require no input from the PO. Just automatically collect whenever the alamo or normandy do a transport or flyby. Nobody uses it because marines will sit in the medevac bed for 30 minutes straight while PO is being told to pick them up and it never happens. It's unironically faster to just walk back than hope PO actually does his medevac job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The entire gameplay (armour, damage, HP, etc) needs to be rebalanced in such a way that allows for longer rounds. There's no room for meaningful mechanics such as permanent damage when the rounds are over in a flash.

Sure, it's punishing when you have to spend 10-20 minutes dealing with the medbay, but punishing game mechanics were exactly what made each round fun for a lot of older players. The skill ceiling feels that much higher when the consequences of failure are that much worse. And to begin with, diverting that time away from combat isn't that much of a big deal when you do so knowing the round might last 2-3 hours. Those mechanics were also what drove narrative and roleplay. Both xenos and marines suffer from the lack of this.
    Last edited by Grubstank; 06-13-2021 at 04:27 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubstank View Post
    And to begin with, diverting that time away from combat isn't that much of a big deal when you do so knowing the round might last 2-3 hours. Those mechanics were also what drove narrative and roleplay. Both xenos and marines suffer from the lack of this.
    More like encouraging passive gameplay ala Ice LZ1 and the guy with the permanent damage can enjoy by being anesthetized and alt-tabbing instead of looking at a black screen.

Think, how did you spend your time on Ice LZ1 rounds and would you really want those back?
    Besides, with the weak ass cades nowadays you'd just get xeno bumrushing in that time.
    Last edited by Ttly; 06-16-2021 at 06:14 AM.