5 9.80%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hive memory's a dumb idea, here's why from a beno main

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to post a scenario that I'm sure will happen and that I personally think is unfair but inevitable. This isn't a criticism of the whole Hive Memory system, I understand why it is being introduced - one of the biggest complaints people have about playing xeno is 'waiting to mature'.

The scenario:
    Elder Boiler (666) gets careless and dies in an OB. Mature Spitter (325) evolves into Young Boiler (325) and picks up bombarding marines. 5 minutes latter Bloody Larva (666) bursts out of some body back in the hive, sees that there are no T3 slots open and demands the queen devolves 325 so they can come back as a Mature Boiler "which is better than having to wait for the young one to mature".

I think one solution to this is excluding T3s from the argument. You can only come back as a T2 at most.

Although I will say that I'm still a big fan of just flattening the power curve, make young better and ancient weaker so that waiting to mature has less meaning. I'm also assuming that the way Hive Memory works here means you can't evolve to your old self (if you were a T3) if there are no T3 slots open, if that's wrong ignore my scenario.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking on this sort of thing the issue with dying as a xeno you have to wait several minutes beyond even your respawn to actually not die to a slight amount of damage.
    Hive memory is good to address this but opens up the mentioned issue of other xenos not being able to pick up T2/3 slots that they might have wanted to play that round.
    Additional brings up the mentioned asking queen to devolve to take a role when xenos not having past lives has been an explicit policy for xenos in the past and I don't see much reason that should be different now.
    I think with it being limited to T1 roles with evo progress so people can get back in the action faster without bringing up the other mentioned issues would work more for this sort of thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Losing a high tier xeno should be a blow to the hive that will take time to recover. It's part of the HvX balance. Greatly eliminating this recovery time without a corresponding nerf to xenos/buff to marines can and will upset this balance.

If the issue is "Young Xenos are too weak" then the answer should be to flatten the Xeno power curve so they aren't useless at Young. I don't see any need for more complicated (compared to a stat rebalance) "solution" that's far more likely to introduce more problems.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you just want t1 to be stronger then make upgrading universal instead of individual. Not evo though. So you still have to wait to evolve, but 10 minutes in everyone has 10 minutes worth of upgrade. A larva pops out and evolves to runner then it starts as a runner with 10 minutes of upgrading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't like it because it's gonna result in blanket nerfs to aliens in the future and promotes bad habits as a xeno

(((good xenos don't need this gamers)))

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Aye. Hive Memory is one of the new kind of updates we can do with bigger dev team - update that is run a few times to gather support or discontent and potential feedback.

We do have a competitive idea from Matt Atlas and we will have a test of it when it is ready. Neither idea will be merged until we and you (players) are happy.

As for Hive Memory, I was thinking about removing T3's from the ressurectable stack

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T2's being revivable is still just as hampering to marines, depending on the T2.

Ancient and Elder Lurkers are "hidden" T3's; they count as T2's, but are actually T3 in their versatility, especially with off weed mutator and damage mutators.

A good carrier is the same; and even if they aren't good, a suiciding Ancient / Elder Carrier can mass hug a bunch of people, then come back as Elder / Mature Carrier and go back at it again.

Hivelords can be just as annoying, especially if they know what they are doing. Elder Hivelord with the right mutators can spam resin + strong walls / doors like its no tomorrow, completely blocking any advance for up to an hour if done right. And when you finally kill it, it comes back as Mature and waits a bit to become Elder while making more resin.

As stated before, a better fix to this issue is letting T1's come back faster and more mature, and/or baselining stats to be more static instead of exponential so that xenos are overall strong and not extremely weak at the start then impossibly strong at the late game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagile View Post
    T2's being revivable is still just as hampering to marines, depending on the T2.

Ancient and Elder Lurkers are "hidden" T3's; they count as T2's, but are actually T3 in their versatility, especially with off weed mutator and damage mutators.

A good carrier is the same; and even if they aren't good, a suiciding Ancient / Elder Carrier can mass hug a bunch of people, then come back as Elder / Mature Carrier and go back at it again.

Hivelords can be just as annoying, especially if they know what they are doing. Elder Hivelord with the right mutators can spam resin + strong walls / doors like its no tomorrow, completely blocking any advance for up to an hour if done right. And when you finally kill it, it comes back as Mature and waits a bit to become Elder while making more resin.

As stated before, a better fix to this issue is letting T1's come back faster and more mature, and/or baselining stats to be more static instead of exponential so that xenos are overall strong and not extremely weak at the start then impossibly strong at the late game.
    The latter is what my solution accomplishes. We'll see what happens when it gets tested.
    Resident ex-punished Junior Developer and Coder, and ex three-time member of the Yautja Council, two-time member of the Synth Council.

See with your eyes, my army of flies, when no one's alive...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on the boat that it should be limited to T1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Limiting it to T2s sounds like a good idea to me. It gives you a chance to have some sort of privilege with the hive memory by being able to skip a caste.