User Tag List

Thread: Elcheba - Developer Application (Mapper)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elcheba - Developer Application (Mapper)

Developer Application
    Byond ID?
    Elcheba

Age?

Gender?
    Male

How would you define yourself? (Coder, Mapper, Spriter):
    Mapper

If Coder, what languages?
    -

Any previous experience developing with SS13?
    No

Proof of any previous or current work:
    How well do you know Git?
    i've watched an hour long video explaining git while drinking a bottle of rum so i'd say not much

Your primary job is server development, not policing the server. You may be given Moderator-level of access but you should *not* be invoking any administrative actions unless there are no moderators or Admins online. Do you understand?
    Yes

Anything else you'd like to add?
    Just resubmitting my old app for tracking purposes

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey El Cheba,
    First of all I want to start by stating that through the interaction I've had with you via DMs regarding your mapping test, you were enthusiastic and seemed to show great interest in mapping for CM. After reviewing your submission, we decided that while you seem to show the enthusiasm, your capabilities as a mapper, tied in with level design, could do with improvement.
    Personally, I believe that if you were to spend some more practice on solid level design in your own time, you could re-apply and show us your strengths. I'll go ahead and sum up the key points I had with your submission:

- Your interior design was good, and you showed some sense of layout when it came to rooms and contents.
    - Overall building shapes and design were fine, but could be improved. Things to look out for in future would be entry points, windows, deciding what walls where are reinforced or unreinforced. You really want to play out scenarios in your head - Where people are likely to hole out, how many entry points there are to a room, how much breathing space there is for CQC fights, and so on.
    - Cave layouts, while they weren't required, you added some in- and they were quite blocky.
    - Inter-connecting each section - The three "departments" were connected by a single T-intersection path, which was fairly basic and could have been worked on more. Placement of each buildings could have been different, with some thought into choke points, open areas, and so on. You want to utilise your space as much as possible.

I appreciate the time you put into your application, and I really hope you don't give up here. Hopefully you'll be interested in applying again, but in the meantime I would definitely recommend you check out some other levels and practice some more.

Thanks!

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Closed and moved