Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new job for the XO, or CE, or maybe a new role

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A new job for the XO, or CE, or maybe a new role

I've noticed that when fobs get made, they required multiple engineers to source the material before req can get enough out to replace destroyed cades and make more on the front. What this means in the end is that fobs are usually created by multiple hands, without a telepathic hivemind or single vison, and so all kinds of inefficiencies and redundancies are created by otherwise perfectly competent engineers, so here's my idea.

We give either the XO or CE or some lieutenant engineer the objective to direct construction. They tell the engineers not only what materials, but the amount of cadelines to add, where to put garage cades, and how they're oriented. Obviously they don't need to be singlehandedly making everything but there does need to be a singular binding vision for construction to make sure the most is made of the materials and time available each round. If said tactical architect is found to be incompetent or useless, they can be relieved of duty and the previous method used.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Construction should be overseen by the highest rank on-site, usually the squad leader.

It could be an interesting skill for MTs/CEs/Command to have, if they could add ghost structures showing where things could be built but that's just extra flavour.
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so basically SOs?

i know you guys aren't game designers but leadership roles are more of a cosmetic thing, people follow the meta, not the plan.

It'd be interesting to give SLs chalk, where they can draw on the floor cades or turrets to hint marines who can lend a hand where everything is supposed to go, but obviously people will find ways to abuse it and just do le funny may may.
    Vibing as: Dismas Hind.

THE BOIS (And gals)
    https://pastebin.com/DHCmg4nM

Shoutouts to Manezinho for the pixelart

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only if you'd actually be able to snort it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SEA and CE do this already

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...what is stopping a bravo SL to tell the engis in ; to put 1 cadeline here and 2 there?

Also...something something TGMC builder drones building cades before drop so only 1 person is in charge to build the initial LZ defenses. But it's understandable due to their low pop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can move cades though. If SL don't like the layout, he can fix it himself or ask engis to do it. But in my opinion engis MOSTLY know what they are doing and it doesn't really mater how you make your cades unless you are making some weird contraption like a spider on LSD.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Me_Bigsnail View Post
    so basically SOs?

i know you guys aren't game designers but leadership roles are more of a cosmetic thing, people follow the meta, not the plan.

It'd be interesting to give SLs chalk, where they can draw on the floor cades or turrets to hint marines who can lend a hand where everything is supposed to go, but obviously people will find ways to abuse it and just do le funny may may.
    meimay

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CE and XO need something to do. If you've got a captain that insists on running the operation, XO is basically just a glorified SO. I've been XO to a captain who said they would run the operation (from the ground, yeah right), and I would run the ship. Except said captain also interfered on shipside work, leaving me with really nothing to do.

CE hasn't had anything to do since we stopped having those engines that break down. Now the only CE I actually see playing is Jonas, and he usually deploys to the FOB after loading the OB.

I don't think your answer is it though. Marines barely tolerate being managed in broad strokes, can you imagine how badly they'd react to being micromanaged by being told exactly what to build where? They'd flip their shit.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Construction blueprinting could make FOB construction easier and more interesting as you would have a unified idea on how the FOB will look and can make the SL role more then that PFC+ that dies in the first charge, it might even buff engineering a bit by giving a coherent idea on how to build the FOB rather then being all adhoc.

For the CE+MTs(both are useless); probably re-add power that matters. Basically you got the baseload but it will be possible to overcharge it via some minigame of sorts similar to the SM engine of the various SS13 or even the plasma-turbines of the various SS13. With the extra power you can use it to reduce OB CD, railgun CD, drop pod CD, and so forth. Maybe can even use it that with extra power you get more tech points or something.

For the XO+SOs, allow them to draw points of interest on the map that the SL+RTO can see via the map item that no one uses. This would allow concise coordination of where to go instead of using third party methods and make the SO+XO+SL+RTO more important to the players. The SOs can write for each squad while the XO can write for the whole platoon. The XO can also aid the CE with power or aid the RO or do whatever like before, before they all got changed and nerfed to oblivion.