Byond ID?
    SimMiner

CM Character?
    Raul Garrison / Arthur Bennet / Elizabeth Owens

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    PDT or UTC -7

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    Roughly 9 hours

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    I've been a moderator for two seperate forums that had roughly 15 people.

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    Not currently

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    This is my first application

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    Not to my knowledge.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    Back in 2016 or 17, I was once perma banned on Baystation 12 for metagaming/metabuddying, however I successfully appealed when I explained it happened out of more of a misunderstanding instead of intentional meta.

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    If I must, then I will do so.

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    I'd leave it to the MP's since this sounds like an accident and has been handled in-character.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    Ask them for clarification on what portion of the honor code the Predator broke, then I would check the honor code to see if it backs up their claim. If its true, I'd forward the report to the Whitelist council for them to decide how to handle it. If it does not, I would tell the player that the Predator has not breached the code and quote the specific portion of the code involved.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    If I am playing in game, I would handle it myself IC. If I was a ghost however, I'd notify one of the mentors to intervene, but if I had time I'd probably spawn in as an SEA, track them down and give them an introductory course on being in the USCM.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    At first I thought this was against the rules, but upon double checking, that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'd do my best to keep my cool and tell the player that being this way isn't going to help. I would still try to comply with their request and see if the players demands are worth the admins time. If the admin declines, I'd say the Head Staff doesn't see a problem and leave it at that.

If the Admin agrees, I'd forward over the conversation to them and try to move on.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    Check John Doe's history, see if they are a beginner player or if they have a history of using meme names.

If the player has a good role-play reason and the USCM is having positive interactions with him, I'd probably let it slide.

However, this seems to fall under the line of "Famous or pop culture" names rule. So if John Doe fails to satisfy the above, I would do one of 2 things.

1. If they are a new player, tell them their name needs to be changed to something more appropriate.

2. If the player has a history of doing things like this, I'd probably warn them that their name needs to be changed to one of their choice, if they refuse to comply, I would force a randomly generated name on them. Then I would consult the other staff members to see if any additional punishment needs to be carried out.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    I would ignore it, this sounds more like something for the MP's to deal with rather then server staff

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    Commend their honesty, but tell the survivor that being hostile to marines is banned unless there is an event stating they can do so. I would make a note about this and tell them not to do it again and turn themselves in to marine custody along with the dead marine so medics can revive them.

If the Survivor already has notes indicating they have done this before, I would job ban them from survivor, but let the issue be handled in character.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    Contact the MP and get their side of the story to see if they were arrested for any other crimes that could justify permanent confinement. If the MP fails to provide a satisfactory explanation or contradicts the logs, I'd probably give a warning and ask the MP to transfer the player to a standard prison cell.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    Without access to ARES or any other form of High Command intervention, my options are rather limited here. The only course of action would be to tell the Xenos that they need to attempt to assault the ship.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Call out the guy in character, but keep it as such. I would make note of this however and consult other staff members to see if anyone ahelpped about it to find out if this was indeed griefing or a very critical misunderstanding.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    Tell the player that they are part of a faction hostile to the USCM and that end of round griefing is usually only carried out on hostilities that aren't roleplay justified.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    Tell them to contact an MP or one of the commanding officers to deal with it.

In the event that there are no MP's or Command is too busy or short handed to deal with it. I would inspect the situation to see if any outside intervention needs to be taken, but odds are I would just let this be handled in game since a single unarmed marine can only cause so much havoc.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Warn the Marine that this is an example of improper escalation and that if another marine punches you, you must return with punching of your own and then a melee weapon if the conflict escalates. Only after that and if the conflict still can't be resolved can guns be used.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    I would ask an Admin or senior staff to take control of ARES or high command to inform the mutineers that their actions are not justified and any further attempt to carry out their unlawful rebellion will be met with extreme consequences (such as a PROVAST ERT to force the mutineers back in line)

In the event that there are no senior staff available to do this, I would have to let the mutiny go ahead, but I would warn the person (or initial group) that started the mutiny that what they did is against the rules and they could face a ban if they try to do it again.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    I would tell the player that its up to Senior staff to decide if such comments are appropriate and that I would forward what happened to them to see if any action needs to be taken. Till then however, I would tell them to go with the flow or confront them about it in character if they want to do that.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    I would ban the player for intentional griefing and consult other staff members to see if a permanent ban is needed or not.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    I would contact the player to see what they were thinking or planning, if the context of the situation reveals they just died unexpectedly I would let it go. However if the death was intended to sabotage the Xenos, I would apply a job ban and see about getting that larva re-added to the pool.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    This kind of thing happens quite a bit at round start or when the Xenos have taken the drop ship. I wouldn't pay much attention to it then, but if it continues into the mid or end game of the round, I would yell at the hive as the Queen mother to grow up and that they are smarter then this. If a few individuals continue to defy this, I would ask other staff members to see if anything should be done about it.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    I would tell the player that Roleplay standards for Xenos say that their words are a translation of the hiveminds thoughts, Xenos are free to call the dropship a bird or a dropship as they see fit.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    I would contact the person who gave the briefing to ask if they received any information indicating that there are Xenos on the planet (Such as colony security footage or a message from a survivor). If not, I would warn them that the USCM does not know the Xenos are there until they make contact with them.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    Considering that this scenario happens in all sorts of movies, it is do or die, and the situation can warrant such actions. I do not see anything wron

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    Given that I've seen this happen to other staff in-game. I'm not entirely sure how I would react. If it was just a handful of people agreeing and others disagreeing. I could see myself ignoring it, but if everyone got on board and started calling me out, I'd probably just log off and come back at another time.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    I would tell the player that if they are within reach of the Xenos they are within their right to infect them. If they are able to escape they can try getting the larva removed, but I wouldn't remove it for them.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    If it was wrong information, I would message the staff member and correct them privately.

If they improperly enforced a rule, I would ask them about it and depending on how the conversation went, I would either consult a more senior staff member on the matter or leave it at that.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    I would try to get context for the situation and look up the rule in question. If the player that was banned has an extensive history, I would side with the ban, but if the player seems to have barely broken any rules at all, I would say to let them off with a warning instead of a ban.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    To help make Colonial Marines a better community and to help beginner players learn the game. In addition, if things go well, to help organize events that would shake up round progression and/or encourage role play.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Not letting things get personal or forming grudges.

Anything else you
    Nope

Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello! Thanks for applying to become a Moderator! Apologies for taking so long to look at your application. Here are my thoughts on some of your answers:

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    I'd leave it to the MP's since this sounds like an accident and has been handled in-character.
    It's important to know why someone decided to start shooting another player. Was it properly escalated? Or just out of the blue and for no particular reason? Or truly an accident like you had immediately assumed? If someone did indeed "randomly shoot someone" then that is cause enough for us to look into it.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    Ask them for clarification on what portion of the honor code the Predator broke, then I would check the honor code to see if it backs up their claim. If its true, I'd forward the report to the Whitelist council for them to decide how to handle it. If it does not, I would tell the player that the Predator has not breached the code and quote the specific portion of the code involved.
    Almost correct. We as moderators don't handle whitelist issues unless the whitelisted player is breaking a normal server rule. It's best to tell the affected player to make a player report on our forums and to provide them the name of the individual that they want to report.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    If I am playing in game, I would handle it myself IC. If I was a ghost however, I'd notify one of the mentors to intervene, but if I had time I'd probably spawn in as an SEA, track them down and give them an introductory course on being in the USCM.
    We can't spawn in mobs, but this is a good way to handle it.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    At first I thought this was against the rules, but upon double checking, that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'd do my best to keep my cool and tell the player that being this way isn't going to help. I would still try to comply with their request and see if the players demands are worth the admins time. If the admin declines, I'd say the Head Staff doesn't see a problem and leave it at that.

If the Admin agrees, I'd forward over the conversation to them and try to move on.
    This actually is a rule. (0.2) "Staff members are volunteers and will not tolerate toxicity or hostility during the course of their duties."
    Additionally, you are not required to entertain the player's demands to speak to a higher authority. That doesn't mean you can't ask other staff members for help, though.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    Check John Doe's history, see if they are a beginner player or if they have a history of using meme names.

If the player has a good role-play reason and the USCM is having positive interactions with him, I'd probably let it slide.

However, this seems to fall under the line of "Famous or pop culture" names rule. So if John Doe fails to satisfy the above, I would do one of 2 things.

1. If they are a new player, tell them their name needs to be changed to something more appropriate.

2. If the player has a history of doing things like this, I'd probably warn them that their name needs to be changed to one of their choice, if they refuse to comply, I would force a randomly generated name on them. Then I would consult the other staff members to see if any additional punishment needs to be carried out.
    Pretty good, though we would get more into what types of rule breaks constitute handing out punishments should your application be accepted. We don't expect you to have perfect knowledge of our policies at this point, so that can be forgiven.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    I would ignore it, this sounds more like something for the MP's to deal with rather then server staff
    You should check their notes to see if they have a history of similar behavior. If so, talk to them about it. If not, you can probably just leave it to the MPs as you had said.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    Commend their honesty, but tell the survivor that being hostile to marines is banned unless there is an event stating they can do so. I would make a note about this and tell them not to do it again and turn themselves in to marine custody along with the dead marine so medics can revive them.

If the Survivor already has notes indicating they have done this before, I would job ban them from survivor, but let the issue be handled in character.
    Good, but you will want to make sure that the player who was killed is taken care of (adminheal them if there isn't a medic available to fix them).

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    Contact the MP and get their side of the story to see if they were arrested for any other crimes that could justify permanent confinement. If the MP fails to provide a satisfactory explanation or contradicts the logs, I'd probably give a warning and ask the MP to transfer the player to a standard prison cell.
    If the MP was incorrect in this scenario and was abusing their power, then you should note them for it. MPs are held to a higher standard than most other jobs since they have authority IC that most jobs do not.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Call out the guy in character, but keep it as such. I would make note of this however and consult other staff members to see if anyone ahelpped about it to find out if this was indeed griefing or a very critical misunderstanding.
    This is a scenario where you would adminhelp this yourself and get assistance from another staff member since the situation involves you personally (player griefed you and your patients).

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    I would ask an Admin or senior staff to take control of ARES or high command to inform the mutineers that their actions are not justified and any further attempt to carry out their unlawful rebellion will be met with extreme consequences (such as a PROVAST ERT to force the mutineers back in line)

In the event that there are no senior staff available to do this, I would have to let the mutiny go ahead, but I would warn the person (or initial group) that started the mutiny that what they did is against the rules and they could face a ban if they try to do it again.
    Mutinies without admin approval are against the rules. You should use MOOC to try and halt the mutiny long enough for you to get ahelps from the people who wish to mutiny so you can organize it accordingly.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    I would tell the player that its up to Senior staff to decide if such comments are appropriate and that I would forward what happened to them to see if any action needs to be taken. Till then however, I would tell them to go with the flow or confront them about it in character if they want to do that.
    "...up to Senior staff to decide..." No. You are the first line of defense against this sort of behavior, and you should not tolerate racism in the slightest. What you allow sets a precedent for what people in our community think is okay.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    I would ban the player for intentional griefing and consult other staff members to see if a permanent ban is needed or not.
    Decent answer. This is another case where you'd need to know what our moderation protocols are in order to handle it properly. Regardless, you should probably check their notes to see if they have done this before.
    Although... don't you think you're forgetting something important?

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    This kind of thing happens quite a bit at round start or when the Xenos have taken the drop ship. I wouldn't pay much attention to it then, but if it continues into the mid or end game of the round, I would yell at the hive as the Queen mother to grow up and that they are smarter then this. If a few individuals continue to defy this, I would ask other staff members to see if anything should be done about it.
    LRP/netspeak rules apply to xenos, too. Shouting meme phrases such as "AYYLMAO" is not something that makes for good RP.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    I would contact the person who gave the briefing to ask if they received any information indicating that there are Xenos on the planet (Such as colony security footage or a message from a survivor). If not, I would warn them that the USCM does not know the Xenos are there until they make contact with them.
    Almost perfect. Outside of events, there should be absolutely no reason for anybody on the ship to suspect that xenomorphs are on the planet.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    Considering that this scenario happens in all sorts of movies, it is do or die, and the situation can warrant such actions. I do not see anything wron
    This is a tough question and I think you answered it pretty well. Though, you should check with the marine who did the killing to verify their intentions, just to be sure that they weren't griefing.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    I would try to get context for the situation and look up the rule in question. If the player that was banned has an extensive history, I would side with the ban, but if the player seems to have barely broken any rules at all, I would say to let them off with a warning instead of a ban.
    It isn't really your place to meddle in how other staff members handle an adminhelp. This is a scenario where you would want to talk to one of the Staff Managers about it.

---

So! You may have noticed that I had skipped over some of your answers. That's because I thought your answers to those questions were good! All in all I think that your heart is in the right place and that, should you get the chance, you could prove to be a great addition to staff once we iron out some misconceptions about expectations, rules, punishments, etc.

You have my +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for understanding, most of my misconceptions stem from the fact I've only seen staff at work from a players perspective. So I don't know much about what they do behind the scenes: such as how they deal with rule breakers; how/when to intervene with the game; or what tools and powers they have at their disposal.

Commanding Officer Council Member Superreallycoolguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly there is not much to add upon podrick's breakdown of your answers, he did a really thorough breakdown of the answers that he thought you could improve on. Though again just like him, I believe you are good enough and answered the questions well enough where I could confidently give you a +1

We can iron out any issues or questions you have during your training and I hope to see you as Tmod soon!
    I Play Karl 'Ausbruch' Walz
    CO Council Member, Discord Is Dargus#4831, DM Your CO Questions

Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your application is a little rough, but nothing that can't be fixed in training. +1

Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is this still sitting here.

I've seen you around in game and never saw you involved in anything I'd find objectionable. Podrick went over your answers and I agree with his summary. +1 and become staff already!
    Robert 'DangerZone' Hale and the incognito legion

FA-XXX-L5 (The D-Day Drone that never wants to be a Hivelord yet always winds up as one)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Accepted, check DM's.
    Mentor 1st Mar, 2020 - 11th Apr, 2020
    Trial Moderator 11th Apr, 2020 - 23rd Apr, 2020
    Moderator 23rd Apr, 2020 - 31st Aug, 2020
    Senior Moderator 31st Aug, 2020 - 8th Oct, 2020
    Trial Administrator 8th Oct, 2020 - 6th Nov, 2020
    Administrator 6th Nov, 2020 - 21st Feb, 2021
    Moderator Manager 21st Feb, 2021 - 11th Jul, 2021