User Tag List

Thread: ReDikAl.ZiP - Developer Application (Spriter)

Whitelisted Predator ReDikAl.ZiP's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReDikAl.ZiP - Developer Application (Spriter)

Developer Application
    Byond ID?
    ReDikAl.ZiP

Age?
    23, soon 24.

Gender?
    Male

How would you define yourself? (Coder, Mapper, Spriter):
    Spriter

If Coder, what languages?
    N/A

Any previous experience developing with SS13?
    Yes, I was spriter at 2015 year on one of RP projects.

Proof of any previous or current work:
    I did lose whole work on my sprites but I can show you some sprites, those I did sprite not long time ago.

There goes my weapon sprites:

RPG-29 (Rocket Launcher): http://prntscr.com/mhqn4m

MP-153 (shotgun): http://prntscr.com/mhqn9z

PP-Bizon (SMG): http://prntscr.com/mhqngr

And here goes PKM with not well designed mag, but I had no time for end it well: http://prntscr.com/mhqnmb

How well do you know Git?
    I had little experience with GitHub but need some lessions with... some things.

Your primary job is server development, not policing the server. You may be given Moderator-level of access but you should *not* be invoking any administrative actions unless there are no moderators or Admins online. Do you understand?
    Yes

Anything else you'd like to add?
    I'd like to fix some of sprite bugs, by the way I'm multiworker and can work on everything if you want so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ReDikAl.ZiP, while I may have encouraged you to apply in msay since you expressed prior interest, understand that you should only be applying for spriter if you intend to be genuinely invested in the project and responsive to the needs of the rest of the team. This application should be your decision, and not only on my encouragement alone, that'd be unfair.

Spriters often answer to just about everyone else on the team since the others are often the ones guiding new features and new projects, while this doesn't prevent you from doing such, free-reign is often restricted to down time between features. I'd like to ask you a few questions before I issue you the spriter test. It should be noted the test is moderately time intensive, and has a two week dead-line before automatic failure if results are not produced. Your application will be scrutinized based on the following answers you give in combination with the test results should it be issued.

1. As a Spriter, often you will be working with coders and mappers on a Big Five objective, however some features, no matter how jokingly we say are 'sooper sekrit' are indeed considered strictly confidential until the Head Developer announces them. Do you understand you cannot share work with anyone outside of the Dev Team regarding confidential projects? (This does not apply to non-confidential fluff, QOL, or self directed features, see Neth and CAS testing, player feedback and communication is important no matter what your position is.)

2. You release a new sprite set you've slaved over tirelessly for a week, only for players to immediately call for it's removal upon implementation, what is the proper response in this situation?

3. A coder asks you to make an extensive and time intensive sprite set, having no assignment from the Lead Spriter and Head Dev, what is the proper response in this situation?

4. While playing a low-population round, Nightmare Creator deletes half of medical on LV, while you have the permissions to fix this, what would you consider to be the proper procedure in this situation? (It should be noted operating guidelines are not public, I want YOUR response, not a copy and paste of rules you can't even see.) In this hypothetical, an administrator and higher developer are also online at the time of the incident.

5. An error causes the CO's M46C to not spawn, they ahelp, you are the only staff with spawn and +DEBUG online, what do you do?

6. Weapons and firearms are drawn at a certain scale, but you'll notice a headset and a M4A3 are about the same size across (At least the M-COM radios), why are things not sprited in respect to actual proportion (representational scaling)?

7. If you joined the team right this instant and could snap your fingers to make a set of sprites CM-ified and perfect, what set of sprites would you change and why?

8. What do you think is the CM aesthetic, and why do you think it works?

9. Do you understand that, as a Spriter, you are subordinate to the Lead Spriter in respect to defining the CM art-style over all? Yes/No.

I look forward to your responses. Best of luck no matter your decisions or answers, I'm sure you'll do fine.

I am the art style.

Whitelisted Predator ReDikAl.ZiP's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like say I was looking forward for apply for spriter earlier, but life and work said no. After you gave me enough power to return my plan in the life. Just thank you. So it's only mine impulse and you just gave me power.

About questions:

1. CM is close code based game project and sure, I think everyone knows all dev things are confidential and you can't share "sekirits" to everyone. Sure I do understand this.

2. Devs should listen players and make some fixes if they found some of sprite/code/map bugs I like this. And sure it's our main concept. I would just give them another one set based on their comments. And discuss that with other spriters.

3. Hm. Strange one, because every sprite/code work should be agreed with their leaders or/and head Dev. I would just ask my Leader if I can help.

4. If admins/devs are online. I would just inform them and inform Dev team about same bug. And will let higher rank handle the problem.

5. Interesting question too. Would I spawn new rifle? Probaly yes because by code CO should have his feature as it should be. But before do it, would ask permission for it and inform devs about bug in the channel. If they'll say it's fine, so I'll do so. By other way I shouldn't spawn things for give anything special to the xenos/marines if it's not allowed by admin or I got no order for it. (I don't really like abusing power).

6. Oh that's easy. Would players pixelhunting one sprite for nothing? Full scale sprites looks more detailed and not so small for hard click on it. And it gives more room to spriter for make his dreams real.

7. Hard question because I really like how CM looks now. I was thinking about add something like paper board to Requestions, so they can store and look for requests faster. No more massive paper spamm above ASRS console. And some information boards for new players. (Like information signs).

8. Colonial Marines by movies has dark colored theme and very solid concept. Our SS13 CM server looks great. That game me gives some fun after hard work period and I like communicating with other people.

9. Yes.
    Last edited by ReDikAl.ZiP; 02-08-2019 at 07:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your answers are much to my satisfaction. Since no objections have come up against your application internally, I will be issuing you the test shortly. Keep an eye on your Discord private messages, as I will be sending it there within a few hours of this posting.

It should be noted that at the time of issuing locally my time (PST) is when you're considered to be on the clock for the two weeks. I will be keeping track of that time frame. Keep that in mind.

If it is discovered that your final submission contains plagiarized content, or content that is not originally your own, your application is immediately forfeit, and you may be barred from further applications in the future.

The test contents are considered confidential. Do not share your produced work with those outside of the active development team. You may seek feedback from active spriters. Know they are under no obligation to respond. Do not share the testing documentation with anyone, period. If it is found that you have shared the documentation your application is also immediately forfeit.

Best of luck, I look forward to what you produce.
    Last edited by Triiodine; 02-08-2019 at 09:23 PM.

I am the art style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, apologies for letting this sit for so long. We only handle applications when the majority team is present at meetings which are on a bi-weekly basis, simply because of scheduling we haven't been able to get to your application in a timely fashion. So if that's kept you on edge over it's acceptance or non acceptance status, again apologies.

However I have excellent news for you, after brief internal discussion, we've decided that while your skills are not perfectly up to par with our internal standard, we see exceptional potential in your application and enthusiasm to work on the project.

As such, officially, welcome to the team Redikal.

Application Accepted.

If your permissions are not sorted within the next three days, please speak to Jamie on the matter. We look forward to working with you.

As a reminder, remember that leaked content or code, or content you submit to the codebase that is plagiarized is immediate grounds for dismissal.

I am the art style.