0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

theXDkidoflol - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal InformationByond ID?
    theXDkidoflol

Player Name You Use Most?
    Jacob ‘Good Hits’ Kelar (Nickname previously ‘Broken Arrow’)

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    None to send.

Have you received any bans in the last month?
    No

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC-05 (EST)

What is your discord username and handle?
    Grey.#9387

Basic Questions & StoryWhat do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The duty of the commanding officer is to run the ship and the operation, in conjunction with the XO. It’s mostly delegation; making sure SOs are managing their squads (or if you have no SOs, make sure there are ASLs and their requests for CIC are heard), making sure that the departments like security and medical are being managed and functioning well, that sort of thing. If it becomes necessary, the commanding officer also has to step in should something go wrong with management; whether that’s an XO managing the operation extremely poorly or a CMO allowing researchers to grow xenomorphs without anyone’s permission, that’s the commanding officer’s duty to handle if possible.

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    It seems like it’s just the XO but with more respect, privileges, and as a direct result, more vetting and scrutinizing for everything you do, along with more responsibility. Plus, if I’ll be honest, the looks and prestige a CO gets are nice, and it’d make rolling the role a lot easier from my experience.

But, yeah, I just find playing XO a fun experience, and CO would be the next step up from that. It has a lot of nice things, like access to the command tablet without hinting at the CE to steal it for you, and honestly, a lot of people have been doing nothing but meta strats that get old and stale for everyone too often. I’m interested in making rounds with newer tactics, and newer strategies, so people can have newer stories to tell other than ‘we deployed LZ1 on Solaris, rushed filt and won/lost.’

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

A story on how an OB gone wrong made a career gone right.

ExperienceHow familiar are you with command positions?
    Very! I have about 29 hours on staff officer if you’re going by hours alone, and while I have only about seven on SL, I had a lot of experience with it before the last hour wipe (I took a break from CM.) I have become intimately familiar with what command roles do and what’s expected of them, and I’ve learned quite a few tricks to decipher important communications from those that I can overlook, among countless other tricks.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    As of time of writing, about 35.

How familiar are you with Department Head positions?
    I don’t play them much, if ever. However, I’m more than aware of how they operate; or at least, what they can do and what I expect. I can do nearly all of their jobs personally, though not as an expert since I haven’t really mastered any of their systems except medical.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure?
    Extremely. Mostly because I tend to be on the other end of it a lot. If it’s any indication, I appeal a lot of my arrests, and all except one that went to HC and never got responded to have gotten at least one charge off. I know everything I’d need to know on the spot, and how to refer to the wiki for anything I’m not clear on.

It’s worth noting here that I appeal a lot because I get arrested a lot as squad roles. The way I play as XO is wildly different from how I play as, say, a squad medic, so do keep that in mind when watching my play style.

ScenariosWhen do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used?
    Only in situations where it’s the only option. If it’s possible to get an MP to handle it, then I would prefer that. However, if someone is, say, actively making an attempt on my life, and I can’t restrain them, a battlefield execution may be necessary.

It’s the last resort; one to be used when there aren’t other options for enforcing your command effectively. Even then, it is to be used extremely sparingly.

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner?
    A pardon is a tool similar to the BE; it’s to be used when essential. Of course, you can’t pardon capital crimes without high command, and you’re put on the line if they get arrested again. As a result, you want to use it as little as possible. For example, if the CMO got arrested for taking drugs as a joke and there are no doctors in medbay whatsoever, it’s very much worth considering a pardon for the CMO since they’re essential to the operation.

There’s also a matter of character. Generally, before you pardon someone, you’d want to talk with them; figure out how much they’ve complied, and how they’ve acted, and how they’re acting to you. There’s a certain kind of person you can trust with giving a pardon, and those are the people you’d want to consider it for.

ConfirmationsDo you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good answers so far especially in regards to BE and why you want the WL, I also know from personal experience that your very capable of commanding. A few questions before you get hit by the ML and SOP tide, what would be some example deployment strategies you would try that might be considered a bit off-meta, perhaps one for each map? Be as creative as you want with it

Peasant Commander theXDkidoflol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreven View Post
    A few questions before you get hit by the ML and SOP tide, what would be some example deployment strategies you would try that might be considered a bit off-meta, perhaps one for each map? Be as creative as you want with it
    These are more experimental strategies; but if I wanted a regular one, I'd do something more normal.

LV-624 - More or less the normal 'attack gap if there is one' strategy, but if there's no gaps, send alpha/charlie/delta to hold east instead of at hydro, with engis going to hydro to fortify.

Trijent Dam - Alpha/Charlie LZ1 to hospital, Delta LZ2 to fix water to south hospital if contacts are there.

Solaris Ridge - Drop LZ1, have Delta go through viro caves for a large flank, Alpha/Charlie to filt caves for regular engagement

Fiorina Science Annex - LZ2 drop, alpha/charlie northwest to either A. Attack Fiberbush hive if there is one, oR B. Flank yard. Delta attack yard for general engagement

Not really able to do many tactics on Kutjevo that I can think of, sadly.
    Captain Jacob 'Skinwalker' Kelar, of the USCM. Moth fanatic. Lover of bugs. Cults, too, though I'm not sure why.

A few of the medals I've earned, since there's a four image limit.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think thats solid and you seem motivated to play CO and bring something more to the table than the usual, +1 from me

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen you around as XO a lot, and you seem to be a respectable person. I won't put you through a gauntlet of questions, just make sure you know marine law, trust me, you'll want to!

+1

Godspeed
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah sure +1
    Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For now I am going to have to give this app a -1. Your answers are okay and I haven’t seen you in command enough to know how good you are or to see how your character acts. Usually a story would give an indication of how you act in game but yours does not. On top of that people who I have asked about you have said they don’t think you are ready to be CO. I recommend getting more command experience and reapplying next month.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1

Reliable and entertaining XO from a marine POV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    reliable 1+

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello! CMP Main here har har.

Overall your application is okay. I've seen you a few times as XO and you know how to lead a round so no concerns there.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of your story, but not for reasons other than personal preferences so that's not a real factor here.

You say:

Extremely. Mostly because I tend to be on the other end of it a lot. If it’s any indication, I appeal a lot of my arrests, and all except one that went to HC and never got responded to have gotten at least one charge off. I know everything I’d need to know on the spot, and how to refer to the wiki for anything I’m not clear on.

It’s worth noting here that I appeal a lot because I get arrested a lot as squad roles. The way I play as XO is wildly different from how I play as, say, a squad medic, so do keep that in mind when watching my play style.
    Do you play as an alt for those? Obviously I'm not always on everywhere, but I don't seem to remember this much. I'm mostly curious here.

Going to give you a few typical Brig scenarios that usually end up with cries for CO help, with some colorization:

To preface, yes I know you can just delage these things to the CMP/MW/MPs, but we're assuming that for one reason or the other you have to handle these cases:

- A PFC insults a MP. He is brigged for DASO and appeals. The insult was clearly, direct and hard to dispute. Your decision?

- Two marines decide to play 'grab the knife'. The game ends very abruptly when one fails to catch the knife, bleeds all over the place, then both marines promptly get arrested. The MPs charge Assault With a Deadly Weapon for both marines and additionally slap Attempted Murder on the one that threw the last knife. Both try and appeal their sentence to you. The MPs and the Marines give you the same story. Your verdict and reasoning?

- A SADAR spec and an engineer get arrested for brawling, both get Assault slapped on them. Their squad deploys, but is clearly not happy and demands you deal with it. As they deploy, the SADAR smashes a brig window and gets permad for attempted Jailbreak. His non perma buddy is now screaming bloody murder over comms. His deployed squad demands you pardon them both, but is clearly not yet aware the the Sadar has been further detained. Now what?

- The MPs grab someone who is clearly a newbie and has little idea of what's going on but has committed enough crime that the MPs don't ignore it - Major Damage To Govt Property, he used a gun and smashed a few windows. No one was hurt. He appeals, clearly not understanding the process as well, but is defiantly trying.

- A marine sees multiple of their buddies die on the field and goes back to the Almayer, clearly not intending to redeploy. They are permad for Desertion. The marine is not rude or hostile, their morale is thoroughly broken however. The CMP/aCMP demands an execution for him and implies that if you disagree, he will fax HC and get you in trouble. Is the CMP right and if not/or you disagree with him, how do you proceed?

- A particularly bad CAS strike kills ~10 marines. Their buddies beat the shit out of the responsible PO and get brigged for assault. The PO walks without a charge. The Marine appeals and multiple others demand you do something about the CAS PO. What are your options here?
    Last edited by silencer_pl; 05-15-2021 at 01:42 AM.
    Senior Administrator