0 Thread(s)
    ur the best man!! +1 from me

Peasant Commander theXDkidoflol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silencer_pl View Post
    Do you play as an alt for those? Obviously I'm not always on everywhere, but I don't seem to remember this much. I'm mostly curious here.
    No; but given I wear the standard helmet, I'm not incredibly distinguishable as a delta med/squad marine. Most of the time you're CMP I tend to get my XO rolls in anyway; no idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by silencer_pl View Post
    Going to give you a few typical Brig scenarios that usually end up with cries for CO help, with some colorization:

To preface, yes I know you can just delage these things to the CMP/MW/MPs, but we're assuming that for one reason or the other you have to handle these cases:

- A PFC insults a MP. He is brigged for DASO and appeals. The insult was clearly, direct and hard to dispute. Your decision?

- Two marines decide to play 'grab the knife'. The game ends very abruptly when one fails to catch the knife, bleeds all over the place, then both marines promptly get arrested. The MPs charge Assault With a Deadly Weapon for both marines and additionally slap Attempted Murder on the one that threw the last knife. Both try and appeal their sentence to you. The MPs and the Marines give you the same story. Your verdict and reasoning?

- A SADAR spec and an engineer get arrested for brawling, both get Assault slapped on them. Their squad deploys, but is clearly not happy and demands you deal with it. As they deploy, the SADAR smashes a brig window and gets permad for attempted Jailbreak. His non perma buddy is now screaming bloody murder over comms. His deployed squad demands you pardon them both, but is clearly not yet aware the the Sadar has been further detained. Now what?

- The MPs grab someone who is clearly a newbie and has little idea of what's going on but has committed enough crime that the MPs don't ignore it - Major Damage To Govt Property, he used a gun and smashed a few windows. No one was hurt. He appeals, clearly not understanding the process as well, but is defiantly trying.

- A marine sees multiple of their buddies die on the field and goes back to the Almayer, clearly not intending to redeploy. They are permad for Desertion. The marine is not rude or hostile, their morale is thoroughly broken however. The CMP/aCMP demands an execution for him and implies that if you disagree, he will fax HC and get you in trouble. Is the CMP right and if not/or you disagree with him, how do you proceed?

- A particularly bad CAS strike kills ~10 marines. Their buddies beat the shit out of the responsible PO and get brigged for assault. The PO walks without a charge. The Marine appeals and multiple others demand you do something about the CAS PO. What are your options here?
    Now, to sabotage this app, one answer at a time

1. Now, DASO is a bit of a weird charge, because of the wording on it. "Using offensive names or being directly disrespectful to someone of a Commissioned Officer of higher rank or position."
    Does this mean someone serving under a commissioned officer, or that they are one? Hell, does this mean if you insult anyone under a commissioned officer you can be hit with DASO?

Well, this is a 'spirit of the law' situation due to that poor wording, but in my opinion, it's meant to be if it's a commissioned officer. Staff sergeant (the MP rank) is not a commissioned officer rank, so I'd let the appeal go through. Admittedly, I'm probably looking too far into this, but it's just how I handle marine law. It's not necessary to check transcripts since even if it did happen, it's not DASO. If there's a ruling somewhere on that, though, let me know!

2. Well, there's clearly no difference in the story. The attempted murder charge is pretty clearly not a valid charge, so that's getting dropped. Assault with a deadly weapon, though, has a very particular clause to it. "With ill intent". I would believe that there's no ill intent present in a voluntary game of catch the knife, even if it is a dangerous one. They'd be free to go, in my book.

3. This is a tricky situation; but I'm assuming this is delta (since they're the only ones who would mutiny over something like this, speaking as a delta main), so the odds they'd return to the ship over something so insignificant are extremely low. They generally wait for the round to end or after evac. It's a bit of a scuffed situation, though, so first, I'd try to inform delta it's not within my legal power to pardon the SADAR spec, and then inform them of the attempted jailbreak. I would also tell them, though, they could petition high command for that. As for the engineer, I'd tell him there's not much I can do in this given situation, and I'd privately ask an MP to make sure he doesn't keep screaming incoherently on the comms by reminding him headsets are a right, but a retractable one.

4. I'd try to be polite with him, and assuming the XO was managing the operation efficiently (AKA no pressing need to aid him), I'd take a moment to talk to him LOOCly and generally just give him a basic idea of how we are on CM. His appeal wouldn't go through, but I'd also call a SEA, and if none was available, I'd ahelp/mentorhelp that there's a new guy in brig who could use a hand with the game.

5. I am going to be as firm as possible with the CMP; No. There are a couple of reasons for this, the first being the sheer unnecessary nature of the execution and how demoralizing/mutiny causing it would be, the second being that it's a questionably legal one at best. In the Executions description, it is heavily implied that a perma prisoner cannot have their sentence changed once it is assigned unless they do something along the lines of jailbreak or there is a code red/delta alert situation. However, I would tell him he has every right to fax high command, and I would not punish/threaten him for doing so.

6. There's a lot of options here, and I'm going to go in-depth on each one that's legal.

A. Your first option is the one I'd personally do; first, the PO can be held accountable. He can see through the fire mission camera, and if he chose not to look through it, that's somewhat his fault. He's charged with manslaughter, assuming there's a PO on reserve, this is my choice. Deny the appeal, too, as that's pretty obviously assault. No pardons.

B. Do not charge the PO, due to the fact a vast majority of POs tend not to look through the fire mission camera before they already hit fire. It's an effort to save time, and one I can appreciate. Plus, he wasn't the one giving the targets; he was just the one hitting fire. Appeal for the marine denied.

C. Charge and pardon the PO. This is effectively the same as B, except it'd piss off marines more and admins very slightly less. This is most notably an option if CAS is seeing good use except for that one strike and there's no spare PO, in which case one may consider using it if the PO is clearly a nice fellow. Appeal denied, still.

D. You can add this to any one of the three, but accepting the appeal for the marine rather clearly isn't legal, so you could pardon them if it looks like a mutiny is brewing. This isn't an option I'd recommend; if they're the type of person to beat the shit out of a PO, the odds of them committing more crime are pretty high.

Do note I haven't looked through these for too long, since in a realistic situation, I don't have over a day to decide on answers. Cheers!
    Captain Jacob 'Skinwalker' Kelar, of the USCM. Moth fanatic. Lover of bugs. Cults, too, though I'm not sure why.

A few of the medals I've earned, since there's a four image limit.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theXDkidoflol View Post
    No; but given I wear the standard helmet, I'm not incredibly distinguishable as a delta med/squad marine. Most of the time you're CMP I tend to get my XO rolls in anyway; no idea why.
    I do remember you as XO, but I feel almost horrible because I sort of feel like I did brig you at least once, yet can't remember much more. I'm horrible with names :X Anyway.

Now, to sabotage this app, one answer at a time

1. Now, DASO is a bit of a weird charge, because of the wording on it. "Using offensive names or being directly disrespectful to someone of a Commissioned Officer of higher rank or position."
    Does this mean someone serving under a commissioned officer, or that they are one? Hell, does this mean if you insult anyone under a commissioned officer you can be hit with DASO?

Well, this is a 'spirit of the law' situation due to that poor wording, but in my opinion, it's meant to be if it's a commissioned officer. Staff sergeant (the MP rank) is not a commissioned officer rank, so I'd let the appeal go through. Admittedly, I'm probably looking too far into this, but it's just how I handle marine law. It's not necessary to check transcripts since even if it did happen, it's not DASO. If there's a ruling somewhere on that, though, let me know!
    I admit, this was a trick question, but it is also a thing that I had to straighten out as MP and I was wrong about it initially. You did catch what I was going for, even if you sort of circled around with your answer.

A DASO charge can be put by a commissioned officer (including Ensigns, the POs) on anyone that their ranks are superior to (meaning all enlisted as well), in this case it was a enlisted insulting another enlisted, in which case charging with major insubordination would be the right one. Regardless, the issue was, as you say that it was two enlisted and yes, the DASO charge should be reduced.

2. Well, there's clearly no difference in the story. The attempted murder charge is pretty clearly not a valid charge, so that's getting dropped. Assault with a deadly weapon, though, has a very particular clause to it. "With ill intent". I would believe that there's no ill intent present in a voluntary game of catch the knife, even if it is a dangerous one. They'd be free to go, in my book.
    Technically they could both get Assault, and the one who actually killed the other marines is liable for Manslaughter. But yes, this charge was doped up on purpose and you did catch what I was looking for with looking for intent as the key factor in the charge.

3. This is a tricky situation; but I'm assuming this is delta (since they're the only ones who would mutiny over something like this, speaking as a delta main), so the odds they'd return to the ship over something so insignificant are extremely low. They generally wait for the round to end or after evac. It's a bit of a scuffed situation, though, so first, I'd try to inform delta it's not within my legal power to pardon the SADAR spec, and then inform them of the attempted jailbreak. I would also tell them, though, they could petition high command for that. As for the engineer, I'd tell him there's not much I can do in this given situation, and I'd privately ask an MP to make sure he doesn't keep screaming incoherently on the comms by reminding him headsets are a right, but a retractable one.
    Capital crimes cannot be pardoned and that is correct. You could actually opt to keep both of them in perma (or worse), especially if the Engie would cross the line into Sedition territory (remember, intent often counts).
    The Jailbreak charge could be questioned, but most MPs would agree that smashing a window = clear intent to break out. Reducing the sentence on that ground and pardoning the SADAR would, in theory, be a very risky option available to you if you'd have any way of claiming it was an accident, or they were provoked or something.
    And yes, sometimes Marines will not only not give you really a way out, but in fact push for a mutiny and there is not much you can do about it. What you definitely shouldn't be doing about it is getting yourself brigged for not following procedure, so this is a good answer.

4. I'd try to be polite with him, and assuming the XO was managing the operation efficiently (AKA no pressing need to aid him), I'd take a moment to talk to him LOOCly and generally just give him a basic idea of how we are on CM. His appeal wouldn't go through, but I'd also call a SEA, and if none was available, I'd ahelp/mentorhelp that there's a new guy in brig who could use a hand with the game.
    Yes. Calling the SEA to the brig is something we do relatively often and MPs will typically try and not arrest clearly noob people for something minor-ish in favor of being chewed out by a SEA. Having said that if they are already brigged, the best thing you can probably do for them is get them a SEA or someone willing to show them the ropes to talk to them while their timer runs out.

5. I am going to be as firm as possible with the CMP; No. There are a couple of reasons for this, the first being the sheer unnecessary nature of the execution and how demoralizing/mutiny causing it would be, the second being that it's a questionably legal one at best. In the Executions description, it is heavily implied that a perma prisoner cannot have their sentence changed once it is assigned unless they do something along the lines of jailbreak or there is a code red/delta alert situation. However, I would tell him he has every right to fax high command, and I would not punish/threaten him for doing so.
    Correct. As CO you are at the head of the ML hierarchy and it is absolutely within your power to deny an execution for any IC reason you have. And no, there isn't typically any condition where the CMP could get you into trouble for refusing one, unless they could make a reasonable argument that your decision is endangering the ship (say for instance - active bombers on the ship, 2-3 of them caught, at least 1 more at large. Brig was already bombed twice. No indication they will stop trying to break their buddies out and stop at nothing to do so) but that is exceedingly rare.

Some MPs will try flex ML on you (and everyone else) but, it is absolutely within your power to give them a proverbial smack for it. They may not particularly like you, but as long as you don't give them a reason to, they will have to cope in silence. Har.

6. There's a lot of options here, and I'm going to go in-depth on each one that's legal.

A. Your first option is the one I'd personally do; first, the PO can be held accountable. He can see through the fire mission camera, and if he chose not to look through it, that's somewhat his fault. He's charged with manslaughter, assuming there's a PO on reserve, this is my choice. Deny the appeal, too, as that's pretty obviously assault. No pardons.
    Main thing here is determining how responsible the PO was, but yes, providing that you can prove that the PO should have know better (ie wasn't a noob) and just didn't AND was not misled by whoever called the CAS strike, at the very least you can slap them with a NOD charge. Assualt is valid, as you said.

B. Do not charge the PO, due to the fact a vast majority of POs tend not to look through the fire mission camera before they already hit fire. It's an effort to save time, and one I can appreciate. Plus, he wasn't the one giving the targets; he was just the one hitting fire. Appeal for the marine denied.\
    Yep. As I said, intent matters.

C. Charge and pardon the PO. This is effectively the same as B, except it'd piss off marines more and admins very slightly less. This is most notably an option if CAS is seeing good use except for that one strike and there's no spare PO, in which case one may consider using it if the PO is clearly a nice fellow. Appeal denied, still.
    That is exposing yourself to possible repercussions, but yes, also a viable choice.

D. You can add this to any one of the three, but accepting the appeal for the marine rather clearly isn't legal, so you could pardon them if it looks like a mutiny is brewing. This isn't an option I'd recommend; if they're the type of person to beat the shit out of a PO, the odds of them committing more crime are pretty high.
    Correct. Pardons is something most COs are very careful with because if they break ML again, you are both going down potentially.

Do note I haven't looked through these for too long, since in a realistic situation, I don't have over a day to decide on answers. Cheers!
    It's fine. You won't be always right. No one is. Part of the RP related to the interaction between the CIC and the brig is juggling that.

I'll admit, your answers are better than I thought and while you waver here and there, you do understand the underlying thread of ML (proof of intent is very big) and shouldn't have too much trouble adjusting if you had to face some harder ML related challenge.

+1 from me, as I'm mostly looking for understanding how the "mechanics" of ML work and I see that here, along with everything else being okay in my book. Good luck!
    Senior Administrator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Silencer's questions answered well, I'm now convinced enough to happily +1 this. Was a bit weary on the side of ML and SOP know-how before, but clearly that was mistaken.

Good luck with the App!
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from what I've seen, you seem to have your head screwed on right +1

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great XO player and helped win the only marine round during a huge xeno buff.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumdor View Post
    Great XO player and helped win the only marine round during a huge xeno buff.
    Massive second on this, Kellar ran a solo CIC for much of the operation, took initiative without overriding my orders, relayed commands quickly, uploaded a tac map every few minutes, stuck to our strategy of 'bait and OB' and didn't complain once. If that's not leadership skills displayed I dunno what is

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The story is a bit of a miss. I know you were going for "funny" story but the story is supposed to be an indication of how your character will behave in-game, which in your case would be terrible. To be completely honest if i were to judge this app based on the story and answers alone it would not be a positive vote.

That being said, you answered the ML questions well enough to get Silencers aproval which is more than enough for me. I haven't personaly see you much in-game (mostly by my own fault so i can't hold that against you) but i am hearing very good things from the other COs regarding you handling CIC as XO.

Despite the rocky start with the story and all, given the feedback from other COs its going to be a +1 from me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have to agree on some rough parts but other wise +1 from the boomer gang
    Retired CSM Jonathon 'Ghost' Granger

Discord Jonathongun#0219

Whitelisted Captain TyroneDadWhisperer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've answered most of the questions given to you well, I've personally seen you play XO and SO myself and so has the majority of the community, I think you'll do fine as a CO.

+1