User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: QuickLoad - Commanding Officer Application

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not going to lie, I've literally seen you play XO once and that was less than 24h before you posted this app. I'm assuming we just have completely different playtimes which obviously isn't a strike against you in any shape and fashion.

The amusing thing is that when I did see you play XO, my thought was "Well here is someone who will try for the CO Whiltelist" and lo and behold, less than 24h later I think, here you are.

Your CO backstory gave me a headache. Not due to its content, due to its formatting. Despite that, I like how you wrote it and you clearly have heard and a good idea who you want your character to be. Not going to hold it against you that my brain decided to take me to pain town after gazing at all the white.

May I however suggest a plaintext one submitted on the side in the future?

Since I find your ML answer probably the weakest one in your app, I'm going to have to do this to you. Here are some questions, based on some situations that I've encountered:

For all of these, assume that you are not able to delegate.

- Alamo, the transport DS has two POs. During a dropship arrest, one of them interferes with said arrest and is nabbed by the MPs. The MPs make sure that the Alamo has another pilot in it, but inform the CIC that they seem to be fairly new and not sure what they are doing. Sure enough, the Dropship botches an evac and leaves 20 marines behind because the pilot didn't seem to be aware that he was supposed to hold. Your XO orders their arrest for NOD. The CMP, after an investigation, determines this to be acceptable user error are refuses to brig the PO. Marines are getting unruly, demanding blood. The XO is clearly upset, demanding you take action as well. What now?

- At the start of the operation, the CL offers any interested Marines a WY PMC contract. The CMP immediately notes that this is paramount to sedition and everyone taking part will be brigged. 5 minutes later, the Mps are breaching the CL's office with shotguns in order to arrest the 2 marines and the CL in there whom they saw sign a PMC contract. During the breaching, one of the marines is hit by a stray round and opens fire as well, hitting both you and a MP. A well placed flashbang subdues everyone, everyone is cuffed and sent to the brig. Everyone contests/appeals the Sedition charge, in fact the CL claims that he is not capable of sedition since he is already an independent entity on your ship. He also demands that the MP who broke the wall and accidentally hit them for Assault With a Deadly Weapon. The marines argue that what the did was at best Failure to Follow Protocol, as no actual contracts have been signed. This is true, however the MPs have a recording of the CL offering them a PMC deal and both verbally accepting. Ball's in your court.

- A Marine is convinced by the CL to bring a Xeno egg up for fat stacks of cash. They do, then both them and the CL get arrested for Sedition. The egg appears inert and not tampered with, nor is there any sign that the containment area was set up for them in any way. The CL claims that yes, he bought an egg, but did so publicly and with intend of gifting it to his superiors. Likewise, the arrested marine was just trying to make some extra money and didn't do anything other than pass the egg. They are both appealing their sentence to you.

- An MT breaks into your office to Steal jones right in front of your very eyes. You just spawned in and only managed to pick up your mateba so far. What is your reaction?

- Hijack has started. The brig has 3 permas - all three in for taking part in murdering 2 MPs with clear prejudice. You think you may have heard them plotting to kill more during hijack. The CMP and MW agree that they cannot be let go. One wants to just shoot them in the head and be done with it, the other wants to force them into an escape pod. Which one of them is right and/or what do you do?
    Last edited by silencer_pl; 05-15-2021 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Some autocorrect weirdness
    Senior Administrator

Synthetic Council Member QuickLoad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised to hear you unfortunately did not like my format, one of the things I wanted to achieve was specifically to spice things up from the usual plaintext and provide IC documentation to bring immersion to the CM universe.
    I've listed my responses to your questions below:

1. Unfortunate that I was not able to delegate ANYONE else to the Alamo cockpit. That said, the NOD charge is legitimate. That PO failed to hold the alamo and evac’d early, that is on him ICly. OOCly he’s a new player, and should get counseling from staff or a mentor -- even LOOC. I would make an announcement explaining that the PO was new and that it’s unfortunate things went the way they did. While I’d help the PO OOCly if I had the time, he still chose that role and should uphold its responsibilities. That charge is lawful.

2. I assume you imply that in addition the CO wasn’t informed of this. I would prefer if MPs didn’t use shotguns so early at the start of an op before any code change or information was given or provided. Anyways, the 3 suspects are arrested. Fine, we can appeal since I don’t delegate in this situation. The CL is guilty of sedition and the two marines are too - for aiding and abetting; one even fired his weapon. CL can say what he wants but he is expected to follow marine law, this is a USCM ship. The marines argue a fair point but by review of evidence provided in this case, the charges are well-supported by the evidence. No adjustment required to the accused, but they can fax if they want HC to review the case too. One last issue MPs, if there is no imminent threat you aren’t supposed to grab shotguns and shoot walls. We’re on green. Got it? Great, done, all yours CMP - handle your MPs, I have to do briefing.

3. Great, I review all of the evidence in their appeals. Given that the egg seems to have not been planted and not been misused(AKA, their story seems to be truthful so far), I do not see how this is sedition. If the egg was planted or they had another idea, it might’ve been a different story. I am going to lower both of their charges to Contraband -- the egg should be returned to research. Back to the bridge I go!

4. Call MPs to my office, smack him on the head a couple times and restrain him. To my knowledge, Jones no longer counts as USCM Personnel(its a hidden ruling put somewhere, not on official places last I checked. So I could be wrong.) Order the MPs to arrest him for theft and trespassing. However, if Jones still counts as USCM Personnel, that’s illegal confinement. Either way, I take my jones back to a safe spot, good boy.

5. Considering their grave crimes and very likely intent of more murder, I concur with CMP and MW. However, prisoners are still entitled to their rights. I disagree with shooting them. Take them to an escape pod and evac them; it’s the proper way.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 good CO

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickLoad View Post
    Surprised to hear you unfortunately did not like my format, one of the things I wanted to achieve was specifically to spice things up from the usual plaintext and provide IC documentation to bring immersion to the CM universe.
    I should have phrased that better, I'm sorry! I liked the format, but trying to read it gave me a headache. I'd just suggest leaving a text version for people like me, the backstory itself is good

I've listed my responses to your questions below:

1. Unfortunate that I was not able to delegate ANYONE else to the Alamo cockpit. That said, the NOD charge is legitimate. That PO failed to hold the alamo and evac’d early, that is on him ICly. OOCly he’s a new player, and should get counseling from staff or a mentor -- even LOOC. I would make an announcement explaining that the PO was new and that it’s unfortunate things went the way they did. While I’d help the PO OOCly if I had the time, he still chose that role and should uphold its responsibilities. That charge is lawful.
    In context, when this happened both me and the CO thought that the other PO knew at least the basics.

Yes, reacting the moment that the PO is arrested would be best.

The NOD charge is only valid if you can determine that the PO made a conscious decision to abandon the AO. If they didn't hear you/didn't realize what was going on and there is reasonable doubt that there was intent, the charge would be invalid. Either way, typically if a newbie gets brigged, we usually throw a SEA right in there with him to teach him as his timer is running.

(In the situation that I based this off, the Pilot actually admitted that they took off because they were scared, which made the NOD valid. Honestly I brigged him in part expecting the ship to crash any moment mostly so some more rowdy, yelly marines would leave him alone. But you should consult with the CMP and/or PO first to see why they rejected the charge.)

Also, an officer ordered arrest does not have to be "lawful" in the sense that it is a charge that sticks. When an officer orders an arrest, the MPs MUST arrest the given Marine, then investigate whetehr the charge is valid and act accordingly. You could, if you wished, trust your CMPs judgement on this. Of course giving frivolous, obviously false charges is an offense too

2. I assume you imply that in addition the CO wasn’t informed of this. I would prefer if MPs didn’t use shotguns so early at the start of an op before any code change or information was given or provided. Anyways, the 3 suspects are arrested. Fine, we can appeal since I don’t delegate in this situation. The CL is guilty of sedition and the two marines are too - for aiding and abetting; one even fired his weapon. CL can say what he wants but he is expected to follow marine law, this is a USCM ship. The marines argue a fair point but by review of evidence provided in this case, the charges are well-supported by the evidence. No adjustment required to the accused, but they can fax if they want HC to review the case too. One last issue MPs, if there is no imminent threat you aren’t supposed to grab shotguns and shoot walls. We’re on green. Got it? Great, done, all yours CMP - handle your MPs, I have to do briefing.
    Correct. I didn't indicate if the MPs tried to call an MT or did in any way said what was warranted. Mind you, in the situation I was basing this off, the CO was right there with us breaching through the wall, but that is not always the case.

MPs are allowed to go to drastic measures if they suspect the ship/an officer/a MArine is in danger. This probably was not one of those cases, so reprimanding (and asking the CMP to prosecute if necessary) is a good call.

3. Great, I review all of the evidence in their appeals. Given that the egg seems to have not been planted and not been misused(AKA, their story seems to be truthful so far), I do not see how this is sedition. If the egg was planted or they had another idea, it might’ve been a different story. I am going to lower both of their charges to Contraband -- the egg should be returned to research. Back to the bridge I go!
    Correct. While, in theory, you could argue that bringing in a biolgical hazzard of any shape onto the ship is already endangering it, everything seems to point to the fact that the CL at best Failed to Follow Procedure and had Contraband on them, in which case you could change their sentence during the appeal.

4. Call MPs to my office, smack him on the head a couple times and restrain him. To my knowledge, Jones no longer counts as USCM Personnel(its a hidden ruling put somewhere, not on official places last I checked. So I could be wrong.) Order the MPs to arrest him for theft and trespassing. However, if Jones still counts as USCM Personnel, that’s illegal confinement. Either way, I take my jones back to a safe spot, good boy.
    I mean, our illustrious CO Senator did say that one time that we can BE for hurting jones at will, but ahem. Jones indeed no longer counts as a human member of the crew. We have a separate charge for hurting Jones, called Animal Cruelty.

That is a correct answer. Honestly, if you stretched it you could even BE the MT (argument here is that he barged into your office and was a threat to you) but in most cases if they see you inside, they will submit.

Jones must be protected at all costs ;P

5. Considering their grave crimes and very likely intent of more murder, I concur with CMP and MW. However, prisoners are still entitled to their rights. I disagree with shooting them. Take them to an escape pod and evac them; it’s the proper way.
    Actually both are right, more or less. In the case of Condition Delta and perma prisoners, CMP and you have the right to wave their rights and fast track their execution. This effectively means that pretty much all the provisions are gone - basically as long as they were processed and given the right to an appeal (which was rejected), all you'd need to do is announce the execution and it would be good to go.

You do however have the authority to suspend executions as well.

And yes, in that case forcing the prisoners to pods is also a right solution.

Okay, I wont torture you any further you know how ML works and are familiar with the logic behind it and while you may miss some of the precise stuff (like the specifics of a NOD charge), these are all things that can be handled/ironed out ICly and will not afford anyone any OOC trouble. You could probably iron these out by playing MP a bit, but last time I suggested this people got mad and honestly it does not seem like you would bounce off hard even if you did make a misstep and that's what matters to me. Can't wait to brig you f...

I mean.

+1 from me, you'll do good I think.
    Last edited by silencer_pl; 05-15-2021 at 06:25 AM.
    Senior Administrator

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had you as an SO during the HvH event Nanu ran recently; you were phenomenal. I've seen you play command roles quite a bit, and I see you pretty often on the discord. Never had any issues with you, and thus I don't have any reason to -1 this.

You can have a +1

Your 'Friendly' Neighborhood Captain, Frans Feiffer. Austrian Kommodore vith zie vorst accent, survivor of Space Vietnam, and Loving Caretaker of the Ungas Aboard the USS Almayer.
    Pred App that is now null lol
    Synthetic model Darwin

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An actual OG, no idea why he didn’t do this sooner. Awesome guy, Awesome rolplayer, Also robust. I’ll listen to what he tells me to do

+1 baybee
    Characters:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's okay i guess....

+1
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alrighty no need to echo +1 From the boomer gang
    Retired CSM Jonathon 'Ghost' Granger

Discord Jonathongun#0219

Whitelisted Captain TyroneDadWhisperer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone's already said what I was going to.

Good Player, High Quality App and Knowledgeable about the game

Easy +1

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 as above.
    Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!