User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CM and the essence of Roleplay

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CM and the essence of Roleplay

CM-SS13 has seen several shifts in tone throughout my years on the server. From overly constrictive standards on rules, to a more relaxed yet still believable environment. However, as of recent (The last year or two), the tone has shifted far from where we started. As of current, RP in CM is essentially non-existent outside of those who try to force it upon other people. There is this stigma around roleplay that it was "Dumb" and whatnot, and argument over whether the server was LRP or MRP. Despite all the cries as to what the server once was, the truth is that CM-SS13 used to be Medium Roleplay. Regardless of this title that everyone so hated, it was hard to tell because it wasn't forced on anyone. We didn't have marines constantly spewing memes and netspeak ICly, or posting links on comms. Back in 2019>, marines actually properly interacted in a good way. They would crack jokes, and fuck around. Yet today, anything outside of "Deploy, kill, die, repeat" is frowned upon for absolutely no reason, beyond those who take it way too far.

The community randomly grew this anti RP outlook for seemingly no reason, and now it has grown to the point where it is un-ignorable. Everyone from the older days always say things such as "2018 was better", "2018 was more fun", etc. This wasn't because the gameplay was better, we learned from that of the classic CM server. It was simply because of the setting. In 2019 back, the server felt "believable". It was a little forced at times, but no one was simply shitting on the rules either. Unfortunately, no one cares anymore, and the server and it's playerbase has taken a toll. This isn't something that staff can just fix. This is an issue with the playerbase itself. That being said, staff are not helping the issue.

Marines who actually attempt to do something outside of the current norm risk being banned for "LRP", which is incredibly ironic considering the entire server is essentially NoRP. As of recently, there was an incident with marines having a fire extinguisher fight after an argument escalated from "I am the strongest here", to "Lets prove who's the strongest here." Everyone involved in this incident got a 3 hour ban. But in a different scenario, a doctor randomly walks up to a marine and Overdoses them on Oxy because of an OOC metagrudge (Literally 0 IC incentive), and they essentially get a slap on the wrist at worst.

As a Community, we need to come together and fix this. I am not asking for everyone to become forced personalities and shitty wannabe action heroes. We just need to stop acting like the server is a COD lobby. And I ask that staff try to keep a consistent standard on the issue of roleplay, because this inconsistency is a large part of the reason no one even tries anymore. They don't want to risk being banned for trying something new, and they don't care enough to try because no one enforces the rules against people who ACTUALLY consistently ignore the roleplay standards.

So please. Try a little harder to keep the mood. You don't have to act like a real life marine, just act like a human being at the very least. Otherwise, this server truly will have become a Team Deathmatch game, with absolutely no variety in each round beyond what map it is and if an admin is doing an event.

-Survivor (AKA Pierce Jackson, Tank Moore)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CMIsAMRPServer.png

Imagine trying your best to MRP and stay RP/Rule friendly groundside while shipside has stuff like this, and almost every round. Honestly CM just needs to straight up be No RP or actually try to do something to be MRP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's something to consider that in a different SS13 server their staff team would just add in little fun things as events, every RP round is different because of all the shit that could happen. Not just because of admin 'intervention' but the SS13 system accomidates more shit to happen. Chaplains doing wacky prayers, staff somewhat fulfill them. But like a genie, it's not exactly what was requested and fun ensues. Add on the fact that shipside roles are only getting gutted and gutted, less people are willing to be on the ship, which means there's less people for wacky shit for roleplay. Which means if they want to have an event, it may need to be on groundside which rarely happens, because it would impact the flow of the round. In SS13 you might have some 20-30 minute process at least about a court case, or some crazy thing like that, somewhat set up by admins and players working together. in CM13 however, CL is practically a role that uses IC prayers to talk to admins. No one responds 99% of the time, and the worst thing is, that is expected. If CL was in a SS13 server I believe it would be quite different. In a SS13 server I believe it's about the little things, which builds up and adds story to the round, driven by staff and players. CM13 has this weird thing where if you want to roleplay you basically have to wait for an event or be lucky there's an admin on that wants to make an event, and roleplay events aren't really expected in a normal round of CM13. Given the state of the expected chance to roleplay in a major fashion is slim, roleplayers have simply left for other servers where things happen more often.

You may say, but player driven RP is what roleplay is, staff can't do it if the players don't want to! It's true. But if the depth of your proverbial roleplay soup is shallow, and taste is bland, repetitive even. You will have the soup a few times until you're bored of it. You might have it again if an event happens that spices it up, but you're gonna leave for different soup. Anything a little wacky made by players is considered LRP by staff. Players then say, we're just trying to roleplay, man, don't ban us, chill! Because it doesn't fit with the 'Aliens Lore/Roleplay expectations' and that player is annoyed and perhaps leaves for different soup. Which lowers the amount of RP variance totally. Milsim RP is okay, but it isn't super epic or anything. Which boils down to we need variance besides SIR YES SIR!!!! If you try something you will get banned for LRP. And if you didn't get banned for LRP an MP probably brigged you. Oh, you just tried to make player driven RP? 30 minutes in the brig, that'll show you for having a character with a personality!

Add on the fact that the vast, vast majority of updates for CM revolve around TDM mechanics, it's no wonder why it's become more TDM mindset dominated. Hell half your squad in CM will unlikely even talk a single time in the round in your squad radio.
    SS13 has many 'player-driven' roleplay scenarios that can happen, but players and staff + devs need to work together to make it, improve it and implement it. I think player driven RP has lowered in CM because the players that want that have left for other servers. There simply isn't much to do in CM13 besides make a wacky character (banned for LRP. Reminder that people have been banned for making 'too african' characters) or participate in a staff run event. Events that are difficult to do for them, and need work to pull off. There needs to be some sort of random variance coded in, to help alleviate the work and take it off the staff's shoulders. Think of those random meteor/power outages in SS13. Crank those up a bit and it would be interesting to change rounds into somewhat unique things....

Oh wait, events can't impact round flow. And if they do the staff member will be reported, or the player driven people will be banned. Because the rare roleplay events have made the CM community not sure how to handle shit that isn't outside the TDM box. Look at staff reports and player reports. A metric shit tonne are event rounds where things go wild. People care a lot about winning the round nowadays, not roleplaying and having a good time. Back in the day of good roleplay, where xenos had a 75% win rate, people knew they couldn't really win anyway, so you might as well have fun while you're losing and have some roleplay.

CM needs to change. The current Milsim RP doesn't exist, no one does it besides complete baldies. People just want frags. You either focus less on the fragging and TDM, and do more shipside. Or you make the possibility for things that may be considered LRP or breaking ML to no longer do so. Add in roles that need to bounce off others to make it work, which would add teamwork and roleplay scenarios. oh wait. We have that, it's called JTAC and it's fucking dead and buried 6 feet under. Marines have very little teamwork currently besides just ungaing. I think it's clear the RP standard needs to be more flexible and ML to change. FYI something like assault for example on paradise is like, a 5 minute timer. On CM it's 15. Jesus.

rant over.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that situation with the fire extinguisher was handled extremely poorly by staff, and why is it not taken into account that marines have literally no fear of death or injury given their super advanced medical technology. Soldiers nowdays do stupid shit and we can't bring someome back to life after being shot in the head and blown up, i'm not saying we allow for RDM and shit but if players wanna have shenanigans between themselves why not let that go down.

We've had inconsistent rules and over the top punishments on harmless RP fun for years now, but admitting to a metagrudge and straight up griefing another player because you deem them a 'nazi', that gets you a note. Epic.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big changes hopefully coming soon tm.
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This. Absolutely this.
    Nailed it on the head.

Coming back after what felt like an eternity together with another ancient CM player, the difference is painfully obvious and it's not just IC.
    Literally on the first day, in every single round we had played, there were at least 5 different people subtly following us, desperately seeking entertainment - which we totally enjoy providing because it's what makes CM, CM but holy jeez, the repercussions were on a whole different level.

Six marines getting 3h bans for, quote, ''EXTREME LOW ROLEPLAY'' - which was arguably and straight up bullshit, not to mention it didn't affect absolutely ANYONE other than the people involved, all of them hidden in a side room on the Almayer playing as the most expendable role. Everything could have been resolved ICly, all the injuries and marine law breaks but it wasn't. Why?

Staff instantly cracking down on our irrelevant session of beating each other up, which is something marines in a universe where you can survive a direct orbital warhead would do, but doing absolutely nothing about all of the OOC in IC which is indisputably the true immersion breaker.

How do 6 marines whacking themselves with blunt items guarantee a full on marine OOC LRP warning and combined 18 hours worth of bans? Even the person handling it said he didn't feel right doing it but felt like he had to. Why is that?
    You can argue all you want about it being LRP, but as long as the roleplay standard is nonexistant, which I, and all of you, players and staff alike contributed towards this should by no means be punished. Punishing people for at least trying to provide fun in a way that's SOMEWHAT believable is the reason why you won't EVER recover from this unless you start pushing for radical changes.

This is literally one of the bystanders that round who saw this all unfold and guess what, he integrated himself into this group of death sentenced LRP inmates right after and now he's running around with us every single round.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

There's such a huge disconnect between what we're trying to enforce and what the server's current situation is like we're being banned for LRP when there are people literally netspeaking throughout entire rounds or running around with the name "George Washington" or ''John Doomguy''

And to add to that, from what I've seen this week - rounds feel completely empty, soulless and all the fun and entertainment there is, is either ALWAYS generated by the few that aren't afraid to bend the unwritten roleplay standard rule or there simply isn't any. That's so wrong. Having to risk a note or a ban for something, just so others can have a laugh?

Why are people so surprised when the game is fun for one round?
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Not to mention, shipside roleplay - which used to be the main source of roleplay - is dead unless someone like dreven (one of the people constantly on the edge when it comes to bans and notes) joins together with his friends. There is literally nothing happening shipside, less than 30 sentences of dialogue throughout the entire 45 minute round.

This entire roleplay thing was brought up million times in staffchat and every manager under the sun has seen something regarding roleplay in their DMs.
    Nothing remotely close to solving the problem was done. The only connection between players and staff is a negative one. There's so much distrust and hatred and the worst thing is, that most of it is justified.

Disregarding that, maybe, perhaps, we should stop headbutting into the brick wall and try something ourselves.

And Don't get me wrong, my idea of funny is not shouting out ICly the latest reddit meme, quoting some mentally ill xeno player, saying ''CM staff pedo'' or whatever drama timeframe we're stuck in right now. I'll very happily play along, together with X other people that just end up being sucked into the TDM formula because they don't feel like having to go through the process of motivating other players to roleplay with them.

??????????????????
    Last edited by lanche; 05-14-2021 at 03:40 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically theirs a few ways the rules could go

Either keep things how they are with lots of grey area (kinda cringe)

Take the feweh RP standard route where we double down on """Realism""" with heavy enforcement to maintain the setting or whatever (very cringe)

Or embrace what RP there is in the form of players just having fun in the social sandbox of CM, make it a rule that basically any RP shenanigan is allowed *aslong* as it doesen't hurt other peoples game. If 6 PFC's wanna beat themselves over the heads with extinguishers and have a brawl, let it go down, have MP's respond to it IC, it creates adventure and emergent stories. Of course if your a SL or Spec (remove specs) or a role vital to the round these standards would be different, but let the setting be player controlled rather than the setting controlling players.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not gonna happen and not gonna flourish simply because so long as Staff will always stab you in the back with some ridiculous rulings that contradicts their own superiors or their own.

The case of the Fire Extinguisher and the OD Doc is one.
    Banning people in discord for legitimate advertising is another.
    Resolving a case that has clear cut evidence of metagrudge with a slapwrist note is also another.
    Using the flash button randomly is now Assault is also one. List goes on

Staff, the moderator team, is CM's worst enemy. Not all, I acknowledge some are actually good(Since I bring up a certain case yes even Frozen, just maybe some missteps were made in a newly formed staff team after a serious civil war), but just the over zealous, power hungry, trigger happy, vindictive, and those who suffer from self importance in life and wish to compensate what they lack in life in CM and to establish themselves among the community. These people forget that this is a video game and they roleplay the person they wish they can become in life.

They stab MPs, COs, Marines, Xenos, etc. Heck, they even stab devs in the back. No wonder we can have staff civil wars.

Moderator team decides the rule and how it is enforced. If anything, it projects the image that they are above the rules. We can't be an ass to each other but they can be an ass to Devs and players.

A culture can be beaten by a superior culture. Its like a viral meme, once it is good, funny, acceptable it will spread and soon integrate into the community itself and become part of the community. But if some people decided to cancel it and the people using it then its a different case. In this case, if we try to influence an RP culture so long as it works it will integrate with enough people. But it wont happen if Jannies decide to be jannies and shut it down.

Whether you are pro-Wulferion, pro-Tater, pro-Dreven, pro-Snooper, pro-Carson, which I dont mind as they are all flavours and one shouldnt dominate the other or the whole community, none of it will matter as long as jannies continue to stab everyone in the back to show who is boss in the most indecent manner, and continue to divide and conquer the community by splitting us up with this level of confusion.

Sleepy was right, there is no incentive to follow the rules. Especially if staff stabs you in the back months later with utterly illogical, senseless, inconsistent ruling. I tell you now that despite having a note history cleaner than most of the people here, following the rules is ass. It looks good on the girl depending on shape but an ass is an ass, it spews shit that nobody enjoys. And this is what we see.

Rules are there to keep the peace, fun, and harmony. Not for you to wield as a weapon on everyone else and to be an ass 24/7.

Oh if you think I am anti rules, im not. I just dont like how it is used. One time I was playing my gimmick character and I was almost shutdown by a Jannie. Thankfully, I asked staff permission AGES ago if I can do this and that, and one of them happens to be Admin Manager Overlord who told off that Jannie. So I am not anti rules. What ruined my experience in CM are Jannies. And Jannies opened my eyes about them and the community, and changed how I view staff in general.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreven View Post
    Either keep things how they are with lots of grey area (kinda cringe)

Take the feweh RP standard route where we double down on """Realism""" with heavy enforcement to maintain the setting or whatever (very cringe)

Wild idea eh, having standards, maintaining them with strict enforcement and upholding the rules. Almost liked that worked for a solid 4 years until the standards dropped and enforcement loosened.

The reach though for you to try and take a stab at me, while never playing during my era while simultaneously posting in a thread that is essentially praising my era of CM for our better standards is so humorous.
    While additionally being banned and warned numerous times for Low-RP in the last couple years yourself during one of the WEAKEST era of CM standards is fucking hilarious.

Damn your credibility for RP Standards and general input is so fucking empty.

But really what you're worried about is you're a Low-RPer concerned about being heavy enforcement due to your Low RP habits.
    Last edited by Fewher; 05-14-2021 at 04:11 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BIG

CHANGES

COMING

SOON

hopefully....
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids