User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CM and the essence of Roleplay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gonna join in on the fun here in this thread and agree with what was said before,
    RP right now is next to non-existant except in groups of people that know eachother which has always shined and been that way. - Otherwise? How do you plan on getting anythin' sensical/logical or whatever-the-crap RP if half the rounds theres a fuckin' monkey holding a flamethrower taking the CL hostage at PB range due to some ''''event'''' which was pre-roundstart announced to have a ''''minor'''' effect on the round, turning out to also turn into shipside random xenos like a rav or so on that massacre shipside in the process. - Another glorious showcase of RP (given, this one was post end-credits/screen or near the end of the round) happening with a monkey tide in the CIC killing the commanding officer and some SO's. - My main point which I wanted to start with is that also the rounds are so fucking short due to what turns have been taken in the design of the game. Literally no one cares for their spessmen, anythin' or anyone. Its just 'unga', charge, die, get defib-zapped by "glorious" medtech that makes 400/400 dmg look like a joke and not even force the medic to sweat, then proceed to charge again.

Admittedly drifted off from the RP point there, but it still stands. Nothing matters in the current state of the game. - Not all- but some staff are showcasing 'RP' in glorious ways as told earlier and then I hear shit like people brawling with extinguishers get BANNED and NOTED after an IC-ly escalation? This has to be a fucking joke.

Whitelisted Predator ChainsawMullet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God, could you imagine how awesome CM roleplay would be if the whole "staff don't need to enforce a rule if nobody's experience is being hurt by what's happening" clause was EVER used?

There's not much more to say besides that, just think about it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hopeful things will get better

*shrug
    Nathon Stafford-Sunglasses wearing Delta L42 kiter man. Sometimes a Captain.
    Benedict-Praiser of Jesus, healer of marines, killer of Queens.
    Kahn'Ikesh-Blooded Hunter and great grandson of Gor'don Ram-sey
    (pfp by Manezinho)
    medals:https://pastebin.com/xiCJLuhz
    Mapper since 12/29/2020
    Had dev role assasinated on 8/2/21

Synth Councilor as of 2/5/21 along with Jakk, Frogzeke, Yukonsnow, and Flpls
    DM what#3954 for help with Synth Applications

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soldier if you ask me, OOC rulebreaking being enforced IC is cool. If they're someone just trying wacky things and just kinda breaks a rule, but theres fun that happens also, and it's 'positive' for the round I think it's okay. What I'm not okay with is when a blatant griefer gets a slap on the wrist ICly and nothing done OOCly. Those are the people who should be banned. There's multiple soft griefers that are well known by their reputation and IC shit is all that happens to em.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    Alright fine pal, I’ve been talking with frozsents during the last month and while I was acting admin manager, I proposed the following stuff which we may do. Other staff have been asking for this as well

-Changing our ban times and making it that permanent bans will actually be community bans (IE you get one, you’re done) You won’t get permabanned for having too many notes. Timed bans will be used a lot more

-Using the IC out of OOC consequences even more, most players seem to enjoy it, but staff are still learning it. We’ve been tweaking it and learning as we go. Survivor here taught us that we should still aheal the victim even though we have IC consequences

-Making a process to allow people to appeal community bans. We let avalanchee back, and we’ve been in talks to unban Zanebot.

-Making sure fire extinguisher gate doesn’t happen again. A lot of us kinda agreed if it didn’t effect anyone else and the RP was in the setting, was it really griefing or bad RP?

-Changing our policy on warning notes, maybe not noting someone for saying WTF, and making a system of verbal warning vs formal warning

Maybe more I dunno
    this all sounds really good actually

also feweh im know your lurking this anyone from that era of CM will say that we had fun in spite of your policies not because of them, and it was your attitude of "I know how to run CM best" which got you ousted because nobody wanted to work with you lmao, why dont you make your RP CM already instead of being a salty old guy constantly complaining about the devs and other staff when imo the current administration and development is the best it's been

Whitelisted Captain/Retired WL Maintainer Snooper44's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been some very valid points made in this thread, I have to agree with many of them. As it is now the ruleset for enforcing RP is a blanket that goes across pretty much every role for the USCM side and somewhat for the Xenos. Because of this it has very quickly become 'pick and choose' in terms of deciding what is LRP, MRP, HRP and so forth. Personally, I have felt that a rank rework could fix a lot of problems and potentially make it easier to enforce RP and not have heavy enforcement on roles that do not matter as much. I made a chart to frankly show my opinion on how things should be looked at and enforced by staff:

https://gyazo.com/3e8483824cbecc6c930ec67d44f29ccc

Each role comes from its own field. Officers obviously going through a more formal Officer Acadamy, being taught formal etiquette and such. They should be expected to not be acting like spazzes but rather as a role that is serious and dedicated to the USCM/UA, Staff should ensure they are not acting dumb in these roles. Not full MILSIM but actually believable they are officers who deserve respect for their role.

Then there are doctors/SLs/MTs/CL. College/NCO training/Trade school educated. They can be dumb frankly but are expected to do their jobs successfully be it surgery, loading the OB, or leading a squad. As long as they do that then they can get in whatever brawl or mischief they want frankly and get handled by MPs as long as its not griefing a person's round.

Finally marines, they should be hands off from staff unless they are full out griefing/rulebreaking. Nothing should be wrong with a brawl between marines, squads, ect. 90% of the time they deploy and they are not seen again shipside so its not a big deal.

A rank rework I believe was in the past planned for potential switching of shipside roles to the Navy and groundside remaining marines. I think it would be a good distinguishment and Marines could see less RP enforcement by staff to allow them to do their own thing and foster their own RP in combat and the naval side being expected to maintain certain standards shipside since they are not 90% in combat like maintaining SOP and that sort of stuff for MPs to enforce.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Commodore Greg Lauffer

Whitelist Maintainer

January 1st 2021 - June 28th 2021

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooper44 View Post
    There have been some very valid points made in this thread, I have to agree with many of them. As it is now the ruleset for enforcing RP is a blanket that goes across pretty much every role for the USCM side and somewhat for the Xenos. Because of this it has very quickly become 'pick and choose' in terms of deciding what is LRP, MRP, HRP and so forth. Personally, I have felt that a rank rework could fix a lot of problems and potentially make it easier to enforce RP and not have heavy enforcement on roles that do not matter as much. I made a chart to frankly show my opinion on how things should be looked at and enforced by staff:

https://gyazo.com/3e8483824cbecc6c930ec67d44f29ccc

Each role comes from its own field. Officers obviously going through a more formal Officer Acadamy, being taught formal etiquette and such. They should be expected to not be acting like spazzes but rather as a role that is serious and dedicated to the USCM/UA, Staff should ensure they are not acting dumb in these roles. Not full MILSIM but actually believable they are officers who deserve respect for their role.

Then there are doctors/SLs/MTs/CL. College/NCO training/Trade school educated. They can be dumb frankly but are expected to do their jobs successfully be it surgery, loading the OB, or leading a squad. As long as they do that then they can get in whatever brawl or mischief they want frankly and get handled by MPs as long as its not griefing a person's round.

Finally marines, they should be hands off from staff unless they are full out griefing/rulebreaking. Nothing should be wrong with a brawl between marines, squads, ect. 90% of the time they deploy and they are not seen again shipside so its not a big deal.

A rank rework I believe was in the past planned for potential switching of shipside roles to the Navy and groundside remaining marines. I think it would be a good distinguishment and Marines could see less RP enforcement by staff to allow them to do their own thing and foster their own RP in combat and the naval side being expected to maintain certain standards shipside since they are not 90% in combat like maintaining SOP and that sort of stuff for MPs to enforce.
    Yeah I agree with this fully, and I think it'll do good for the server in terms of RP
    Chaotic puppet-master from hell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This chart seems well written. Would like to see this being enforced in game.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooper44 View Post
    Snip
    To be safe, put survivors there in their own category. I know we have a wiki explaining it but its good to consolidate all of it into one image for convenience and avoid possible future troubles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I struggle to tell whether people actually want "RP" or if they want to be able to chucklefuck around and have caricatures of people as gimmicks to set themselves apart from the faceless dozens, rather than actually flush out a character. It seems like near half the responses here can be boiled down to "I want it to be so that I can act like a moron, actively, and not get in trouble." To my knowledge, this is already allowed for the most part. You can make stupidly large sandwiches, you can bash windows and make spears in prep, you can spam the chat all you want, or run around talking in a racist accent while starting fights.
    Further, trying to make comparisons between the chucklefuckery done by real actual human beings and by players disregards the fact that players do shit with the full knowledge that this is a game, and as such, any amount of relaxation on the standards leads to an increased amount of said chucklefuckery since we all know this is a game. At which point the grounding of everyone else's chucklefuckery is kept by the few who actually want to RP. This isn't even taking into account the fact that at any given time a quarter of the server doesn't even have a full grasp on the game yet, nor the setting, which further increases the disassociation one may have with the fact this is suppose to be an Aliens server with a fair amount of grounding. I fail to see the value in creating an environment specifically tailored to reflect Aliens, and then having so laxed a standard that it just becomes set dressing for fire extinguisher races and and TDM. though, at least the TDM furthers the "plot" of every round.

You can talk all you want about how marines do stupid shit IRL, but at the end of the day, the standard shouldn't be to hyperfocus on that sort of shit, which is what most people do, and pretend you're "RPing".

I also don't see the value in keeping most LRP chucklefuck situations IC either, since it just enforces this as a standard behavior since you can effectively escape the MPs near every single time you do anything by deploying. It used to be that you'd likely end up on the ship eventually for surgery, but this isn't a standard anymore. The only people being caught and reprimanded are those who are too thick to realize they ought not cause issues while outside of sprinting distance to the hanger.