User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CM and the essence of Roleplay

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, put Survivors in the list. We want to be really safe with this.

You may want to mark PO under MRP line of the Officers cause I dont really know what else the PO can do under HRP standards. But this is just an opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RPing in my eyes is a creative act. There needs to be room between the staff and the playerbase for it to take place, and that ultimately exists in the mind of the player. How the player understands the boundaries determines whether or not they respond to a situation by adding something new and expressing their character, or simply takes the path that most likely wont get them in trouble OOCly. Its rampant on some servers I have plaid on in the past, everyone playing the same stale ass character who always responds to situations in the most predictable fence hugging manner because of the OOC overhead of oppressive rules and administration.

The most stale and neutered take you can have in regard to RP is by embracing the actual mechanics of the game. Why the hell would you respect a marine as a survivor when you know OOC that they are probably more inexperienced than you when IC you should be treating them like your saviors. Or act like you have an actual career in the marines when you get arrested by MPs or are given orders by superiors, when OOC you know that your chance of actively participating in the round is being destroyed and they didnt really have to enforce the law so strictly. The more people play the game to 'win' the less anyone will experience or take the initiative to RP, especially when its objectively worse off for you to do so mechanics wise (puts you at a disadvantage). The sweaty spergs who get pissy IC and OOC because you give up advantage are the problem, and RP will continue to be crippled by them until this general attitude in the playerbase changes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be closing this thread as it has spiraled way out of the original intent and purpose.

A genuine point was made regarding role-play and standards of role-play and there was a good amount of posts that gave insightful views towards what a player believes and acknowledges of it, but at the end of the thread it turned into shitflinging.

Besides that, there will most likely be handed out forum infractions for certain posts in the near future as well.
    Head Developer & Marine Law Maintainer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread has turned really nasty in a way that I didn't really expect, it's a shame someone's had to go through and delete a ton of messages.
    The fact it's had to be locked is even sadder, I really don't like a place of genuine dialogue having to be closed.

I think it's appropriate for me to comment on this thread and kind of talk about where CM stands with regards to roleplay, where staff stands on that and probably most importantly what that means going forward.

For the most part, The staff team have adopted a pro-rp stance which was created to allow for players to really be able to use the CM sandbox and create their own fun. This most often comes from staff trying to resolve rule breaks in character rather than escalating that to a formal OOC bwoink and potential punishment
    I'd say that this has been an extremely positive change for the most part, and has generally allowed for players to have fun, while still reigning in the rules.

If you're familiar with my stance on RP, it's pretty simple what I aim to achieve through staff policy, and that's to allow for players to have the best experience, while still preserving the CM environment. Player enjoyment comes first.

CM is medium roleplay. This endless discussion and debate is half of the problem. What does medium roleplay mean? Play a reasonably realistic character.. That might seem simple, but with all the grey area and the reality that there is a crossover between IC/OOC, it means that staff need to be conscious that CM culture and modern culture often bleeds into the IC world. It's reasonable to allow for some wackiness and creativity, and I think that making characters and interactions memorable is just as important as preserving the setting. CM is an amalgamation of the aliens universe, half a dozen other IPs and a megaton of community culture. It's not just aliens trench warfare RP or milsim spec, it's more than that and we need to respect it being its own thing. Is there a line between CM culture and downright no RP and straight memery? Hell Yeah. You can't force people to roleplay, it's a positive feedback loop from chatting in the reqs line to mods taking the effort to respond to faxes. But even the little banter and chitchat helps.

Staff have been making a conscious effort to further this goal, and it's my belief that its worked for the most part. Staff don't get it right all the time, but if you have genuine concerns about a staff members decision, take it up the hierarchy and talk about it respectfully with a manager and make a report. Making critical statements in RP threads doesn't directly fix anything, and a lot of the time the genuine issues are wiped out by the echo chamber of nastiness. There's more hopefully positive changes on the way with regards to RP. Solider had a suggestion regarding notes and making informal warnings not require a note, which we might trial. Could help with punishment rates.

If you've got complaints, Air them in the right place and we'll try to take note and listen. But for this to work it has to be a respectful dialogue.
    My DMs are open and so are the respective managers.

People are human and we don't always make the right decisions. I made the wrong call in regards to a meta case when I didn't realise the severity of someone's OOC actions. I wouldn't have realised that if someone from the community hadn't taken a risk and talked to me about it. Sometimes staff are too harsh on one thing and too soft on another. Doubly so when we're experimenting with rule changes and everyone needs to learn the standards. At the end of the day though we're all here for the same goal.

Someone asked me to touch on some more things so I will.
    These RP issues, Staff burnout, Over/Under enforcement issues have been around since the dawn of time, and in my opinion no matter what gets picked, it needs to be consistent, firm and fair. If we want to have standards and enforce them, they need to be uniform.

Staff burnout has always a problem. Half of the issue is that there is a high number of inactive staff. Expect new rules to reign that in. With inactive staff gone, it should hopefully free up the cogs and mechanisms of the staff promotion process. That being said, we're talking about how we can potentially change the ranks to better prevent burnout. There might be something behind Soldier's game admin idea, but giving him credit would be too much