User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you imagine Control Points working (tech web stuff)

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you imagine Control Points working (tech web stuff)

Basically part of the tech web update is meant to have control points that marines and aliens fight over, how do you see it ending up and would anyone change it up.

-----------------------------

My own opinion is that they will be ignored entirely as both marines and aliens know they just have to destroy the other's force to win anyway. If they are used it would mostly serve as a way of accelerating tech point gain to get more powerful tools to force a round end accelerating FOB sieges and cave sieges preventing 3 hour rounds, in theory but will vary based on map design. There also the issue many maps were never really built with control points in mind and will need to be updated to accommodate them causing metas to change.

The biggest issue is based on the last time control point like thing was tested they were virtually ignored by both factions. The points might just change the meta spots to push for since splitting them up could lead to defeat in detail for either side. I just don't believe as is would be best. Having it that aliens would get points by boiling corpses via spawning pool+natural generation by Queen would be better and decouple the points, basically the control points can be made that you can focus more on how it will work for marines and how to defend them rather how do both have to hold them. Beside that it could be nice having points from researching the alien corpses (maybe getting the alien blood and such gives some points), can re-make engineering to have an 2 engines with the main one being a static piece giving power and the other being able to give extra power based on the skills of the MTs+CE with the power being able to go to more points, lower CD railgun, lower CD OB, and lower CD on supply drops. Basically having a very asymmetric way of point generation with both sides having different amount of points needed based on how easy or hard it is to get points rather then static both fight for control points for points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I don't see how the marines can defend multiple points. The marines struggle to hold the FOB most rounds.

So if marines split up and try and hold multiple points, a wave of 30+ xenos will crash over each point one by one, annihilating all marines there in a couple minutes.

If the marines try to hold just one point, the point will get surrounded by 30 xenos, reinforcements, retreat and supplies will be impossible to get, and as soon as the cades fall xenos will rush in and marines annihilated again.

Right now when the FOB falls marines can retreat on the dropship, but if they are defending a spot and allow xenos to dig in around them, that spot falling means the marine forces being destroyed to the man.
    Last edited by Saytkl77; 05-20-2021 at 05:50 AM.

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you code it :^)
    Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like what Saytkl77 said marines won’t be able to hold all or any of them because marines splitting up means the beans can just focus on individual groups and seize the points with ease and it will be a nightmare to try and secure them during lowpop hours when there will be even less people around to stick on the point itself
    The laziest Bravo medic main that used to only use a flamer.
    LCPL George ‘swamp’ Grills [Bravo (Med)] says, "What a libtard lmao”
    Now I main Alpha ahhhhh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Techwebs are essentially the dev Walter's baby, and with that the control points. A bit before techwebs were introduced they realised how none of the maps are built for it at all and you would have to remap everything in the game. Then he kinda retired. Forget about how maps like soro, corsat or ice (in progress rn tho) need reworks in general. If capture points were added it would probably only be LV or big red for now, or a 'new' map, like the desert themed LV that is being worked on, which might be tweaked to not have things like fog ect. As reworking all the maps would take longer than the dropship update would, so we would either get maps one at a time getting control points or them all in a gorillian years.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RemAndCounting View Post
    When you code it :^)
    me when i learn the most cursed programming language in existence, only equatiable to the satan child of java, C, JAVASCRIPT, HTML AND HOLYC COMBINE DAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagbag View Post
    me when i learn the most cursed programming language in existence, only equatiable to the satan child of java, C, JAVASCRIPT, HTML AND HOLYC COMBINE DAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Fucked up that people actually go out of their way to learn DM and not just code in things based off of their already existing code knowledge regarding C and HTML.
    Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    coding in byond is one thing but adding an entirely new system
    *shiver

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not going to work.

The meta right now requires a marine ungaball of death to fight xenos. Split 1 squad off from the others and they get eviscerated because there is so much of a power difference between marines and xenos individually and no options for closing that gap. Marines win only because of numbers and revives.

So introduce a bunch of control points on the map and marines will only ever be able to hold 1 of them at a time, while xenos control every other, especially since they start planetside and get to reinforce everything for 20 minutes. It's not workable.

All I can think of is rather than capture-and-hold we have a capture-and-move-on system where marines have objectives to accomplish, take certain areas, perform data uploads, and move to the next location. Aliens wouldn't have capture points at all and simply accrue techweb points slowly over time. Maybe with bonuses from captures/bodies dumped in the larva pool.

I'm still not sure even that would work. It feels like defcon was genuinely still a better system than this. The nice thing techwebs has done is introduce new toys, but overall it did nothing to the actual gameplay flow.

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding control points just seems like a bad idea in general. Currently, marines don't listen to command in favor of rushing meta spots, but at least there are multiple meta spots, like ETA, lambda, filt, bar, so command can at least kind of direct marines. With control points, people will either have to be quite literal NPCs, or lose the round because they can't hold the control points in favor of better routes of combat. This is why I liked ice so much, because there was any number of strategies you could employ. Trijent too is big enough to give both sides more freedom of moving the battle over large terrains. It's become so much of an arcade shooter than an old military retro style game that it's unrecognizable, especially with how old roleplay used to be.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler: