Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thoughts on techwebs?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thoughts on techwebs?

IMO, i've always thought they were a prematurely-implemented, overhyped mess that nobody wanted when it first came out, but im always open to other ideas

1. love techwebs
    2. like techwebs
    3. neutral/no opinion
    4. dislike techwebs
    5. hate techwebs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being spontaneous and lazy

I dislike techwebs

As a prior researcher main, I liked the weird sense of exploration that the IOs vicariously provided me, and with them providing some interesting new chemicals, but with the removal of most of the groundside chemicals to "make room" for techwebs, research -for the most part- now depends on the brainless task of botany to produce new chemicals, which is quite a deterrant, -botany is boring and labor intensive-.
    There is also the matter of lost exploration and "dopamine hit" of dragging in dead xenos and humans to research (for xenos) and morgue (for doctors), indeed it provided some of the more supportive players something to do, it also made the matter of being a doctor BORING now, maybe with the only source of stimulation being a good and busy OT (which is rare) who asks for chemicals.

It short, I think it hurt many shipside support roles, and harmed a sense of exploring the colony.

However, I sometimes wonder the value of "RP" as in trying to get the shipside roles to interplay with each other, in my hours of playing researcher before the implementation of the extra-large 180U needles (which I'd fill with roundstart healing drugs) I frequently just "gave up" asking the marines to provide me with 2 backpacks of flasks over comms so I'd do it myself, asking them for the backpacks at roundstart, and even then, most of the marines would just ignore me, though 95% of the time, I'd get my flasks, but the weird lack of "teamwork" -which is important for some kinds of RP- is seriously lacking.

Indeed I've learned a long time ago that using shipside coms to try to get anything out of anyone is often a futile effort, if you ask, but they react slowly and cause you to miss their reply, they call you names names and get frustrated, if you ask but they don't reply, you get frusterated, if you ask and then you reply, sometimes they just don't do it, if you ask repeatedly, you've already wasted enough time asking that you're better off doing it yourself. Sometimes you ask, and you recieve -as you'd imagine- but that only seems to happen a good 15-25% of the time.
    Indeed I've adopted anti-short attention span measures into my OT playstyle, namely ordering Large amounts of chemicals each time. But tasks each role has to do seems almost antagonistic with RPing in general (since I play support roles in such a powergaming -AKA good in most circumstances- way). So maybe it's just a limitation of the design?

I'm tired.
    Last edited by anonymous14z; 05-28-2021 at 09:16 AM.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet another unfinished product with potential

it's ok

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not great, not terrible*

*Player opinion not fancy purple name opinion
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'luv plates
    'luv med tech
    'luv implants
    'luv tank
    'ate railgun
    'ate engi tech
    'ate cryotech
    'ate oblivious/non informative Co's

simple as

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad but can be better. It has great potential.

F for the IOs and IO mains.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rushed out, devs should've taken their time.

defcon was kinda better? idk, having to rely on IO's was a bit of a pain but a competent IO squad would be brilliant to have (((((((((((at-least collecting and processing intel was interesting))))))))))
    Chaotic puppet-master from hell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertBlackwell View Post
    rushed out, devs should've taken their time.

defcon was kinda better? idk, having to rely on IO's was a bit of a pain but a competent IO squad would be brilliant to have (((((((((((at-least collecting and processing intel was interesting))))))))))
    I think defcon was more interesting but as a regular marine player you basically dont interact with defcon at all. you just kind of cross your fingers and hope your intel guys didnt get booed on 30 minutes into the round. At least with tech webs you have some choice like which stims, which plate, or which implants you take. Tech webs really need to be expanded on though. You should get rewarded for recovering bodies and maybe xenos get rewarded points for caps. Right now if I'm not wrong you just accumulate points as the round goes on and thats it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss IOs

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    last tier of xeno techwebs is kind of sucky sucky