User Tag List

Thread: Carrot and Stick: How to make marines actually follow orders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carrot and Stick: How to make marines actually follow orders

Real simple idea here folks. As it stands, it doesnt matter what fucking orders you give as SL, or what plan you give at briefing as CO. Marines will ignore all that shit and just unga out to do the usual meta routes.

So how to change this? Incentivize the marines.

Now there are several systems people might suggest or propose, such as objectives or the like. But there is a simple method that would be fairly easy to do by hacking together code that already exists.

Xeno leaders give pheromones to the xenos around them. Squad leaders have orders they can give, with a cooldown. My proposal would be slightly nerf orders and then have SLs or aSLs have them act like pheromones for their squad. This would mean as long as marines ACTUALLY STAY ON THEIR FUCKING SL they get a buff. Every unga wants buffs.

This will make marines want to stay on their SL's and improve squad cohesion.

More shit could be added to this regarding CO/XO/SO, and possibly the ability to somehow have CIC OW apply debuffs to marines refusing orders (only when off ship). However, just doing the SL's like this for now would provide a good test point to see how such a system could work.

Pros:
    Marines will stay on SLs
    Rewards squad cohesion
    SLs wont have to wonder where the fuck their squad has gone to

Cons:
    Its new and people will hate it
    Constant order buff might be OP, but then again Xenos already get constant buffs via pheromones
    SLs will be targeted even more

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1, gives SLs more of a job outside of order factory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the train of thought but we could also take it in a slightly different direction. Hear me out.

What if when spawing in, squad leaders got to pick a leader type that would permanently give them one of the buffs in the area around them representing their type of leadership style?

Example: LT Bald :flash: analbumcover takes the speed leadership type, as his style is all about flanking and Gorilla style tactics.

That way you could be using systems already in place and just modifying them and you wouldn't have to nerf the buff since they would be stuck with whichever one they picked for the round.
    Last edited by Driker; 05-30-2021 at 03:03 PM.
    STOP TRYING TO A HAND WHOLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can already do this with JIMA warbanner flag. There're several hard to achieve requirements that needs to be met for doing that. To start with:
    1. A squad engineer has to vend the JIMA flag instead of other arguably better defensive structures.
    2. The officer who's in charge of tech-webs has to buy Engi CZSP which is disadvantageous in most cases when compared to Medic CZSP and Modular Plates.
    3. Assuming one of the squad engineers picked the JIMA flag, he now has to choose the warbanner instead of other option.
    4. You have to convince the engineer to give you his JIMA warbanner which he can refuse to do and keep it for himself.
    5. Lastly, you have to sacrifice your indispensable backslot to properly utilise the JIMA flag where most of the squad leaders favor having a shotgun loaded with buckshot.

But to be honest, I don't think marines will just follow their squad leaders for 10% of accuracy buff or something like that. Personally, I only follow squad leaders that are robust in both leadership&combat, confident with their decisions and extremely communicative, not because standing near them lets me move a bit faster or aim slightly better.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marines rush meta until they get alien contact. Marines don’t a shit about comma, command, APC or tank, fortifications, medics, stims, ammo, logic, or reason.

The playerbase is full of NPCs that just rush the metaspots and rambos that play their own game. It would take rule enforcement of PFCs to get something besides them pushing office on big red or engineering on trijent. That or literal acts of God Himself to stop these NPCs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not gonna follow an SL that is retarded. simple as. An SL that's retarded and has movement order pheroes is still gonna lead me to my death.

Be a good SL first and people will actually pay attention. And no. Don't be that guy that yells at your squad for not following orders, no one likes that guy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And sometimes SL is just an idiot, who will run into the hive with two bags of ammunition and die, or lead his man to death into a cave to flank enemy, happens all the time.

It all depends on player base. A lot of players came from old days when MRP was constantly enforced by ADMINS and MODS, so they got used to RP. This people are backbone of any squad and usually they are following orders. All other players will attach to them due to horde mentality of humans. Giving SL aura would be good incentive, but I doubt it would be efficient.

On another hand applying debuf on marines who running away or not following orders is a good idea. Would be good for medics and engineers who are not doing their job.

Also doesn't fix bravo team running away from FOB duty.

As for now I don't see any problem with a lead, several months ago one SL lead man across poo river on the Dumb, they all die horribly to burn damage and xenos. Was fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that giving debuff abilities to command staff would just lead to massive griefing. Not a good idea.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PwntQ View Post
    Real simple idea here folks. As it stands, it doesnt matter what fucking orders you give as SL, or what plan you give at briefing as CO. Marines will ignore all that shit and just unga out to do the usual meta routes.

So how to change this? Incentivize the marines.

Now there are several systems people might suggest or propose, such as objectives or the like. But there is a simple method that would be fairly easy to do by hacking together code that already exists.

Xeno leaders give pheromones to the xenos around them. Squad leaders have orders they can give, with a cooldown. My proposal would be slightly nerf orders and then have SLs or aSLs have them act like pheromones for their squad. This would mean as long as marines ACTUALLY STAY ON THEIR FUCKING SL they get a buff. Every unga wants buffs.

This will make marines want to stay on their SL's and improve squad cohesion.

More shit could be added to this regarding CO/XO/SO, and possibly the ability to somehow have CIC OW apply debuffs to marines refusing orders (only when off ship). However, just doing the SL's like this for now would provide a good test point to see how such a system could work.

Pros:
    Marines will stay on SLs
    Rewards squad cohesion
    SLs wont have to wonder where the fuck their squad has gone to

Cons:
    Its new and people will hate it
    Constant order buff might be OP, but then again Xenos already get constant buffs via pheromones
    SLs will be targeted even more
    This was something mentioned a year or two ago and I supported it as a mechanic. However, adding one mechanic in to fix one problem isn't as simple as one thinks. Think, if there is a passive AoE mechanic for SLs how would it work with other mechanics?
    Does it stack on the SL too?
    Does it stack with stims?
    Does it stack on a move order?
    Finally, is it worth the time to implement, applying some xeno mob code to a human mob isn't going to be simple as copy/pasting and editing lines of pre-existing code.

I cannot fathom the current CM playerbase, but I imagine the average marine is losing braincells at a linear rate. Marines will follow a SL if they want, even if the reason is right or wrong. Mechanics may help, but the leader's personality and cult of ego in vidyagame personally decides if marine follows instead of rationalizing running to the chokepoint before it becomes torture to play with three squads cading it.