Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Retrokinesis - Moderator Application

Moderator Application

Personal Information

Byond ID?
    Retrokinesis

CM Character?
    Audrey Aulin (marine)/Evelyn (synth)/Kelsar Te'dak (predator)

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    EST

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    Depends! Around 20 or so is going to be doable almost all the time, on average. However, some weeks could be significantly more than that.

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    No

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    I used to be a /tg/ regular but haven't played there in a bit, and played Bay a few times years ago

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made
    https://cm-ss13.com/old/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=17467 | Synthetic Application; accepted

//showthrea...er-Application | CO Application; accepted

//showthrea...or-Application | 1st Moderator Application; denied

//showthrea...or-Application | Predator Application; accepted

I also had a Mentor application denied for inactivity before I returned from my absence.

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    (Duplicate Question)

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    No

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Of course!

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    Message him and ask why he did that. If he has a valid reason, let the MPs handle it as an IC issue. If not, aheal the other player and add a warning or ban for Rule 4 or 14 violation(s).

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    Make note of the round in case logs needs to be pulled later and direct him to the Player Report section of the forum, as potential honor code violations are a matter for the Yautja Council.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    Notify a mentor if one is available. If not, and I'm not currently occupied with something else, message them and offer them help.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Direct him to the Staff Report section of the forums and say that if he disagrees with my actions, he is free to make a report. Check his notes to see if there are any others for similar behavior.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    Inform them that their name is a violation of Rule 12 and ask them what they would like me to change it to. Add a note in case they change it back later.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    This is an IC issue, though I'd check their notes to see if they have anything related to repeatedly breaking into the armory for tactical shotguns or the like just in case.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    Check the logs to see if the survivor did, in fact, state hostile intention. If so, inform the marine that survivors are permitted to be hostile as long as they don't pretend to be friendly first. If not, apply a warning or possibly a survivor jobban if they have a history of similar actions and aheal the dead player.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    Message the MP in question and ask why the player was placed in perma. If MP's reasoning is valid (IE, a charge with permanent confinement as a listed punishment or 60+ minutes with CMP/CO approval) inform the player as much. If not, inform the MP they're breaking marine law and add a warning.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    I've had this happen to me as CO and I feel it worked out well: a Subtle Message to the CO about the comms console indicating the position of the final enemies.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Message another staff member and ask them to investigate it, as it could appear biased if I investigated and issued a ban in a case involving myself.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    Inform them that End-of-Round Grief violations only apply to friendly players (marines to marines, xenos to xenos, etc.) and that hostile factions are allowed to continue hostilities.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    This is roundstart shenanigans and a violation of Rule 4. Apply a warning, or ban if the marine has a history of similar incidents. Aheal any victims if necessary.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Inform the murderer that this is a violation of Rule 14 and improper escalation. Aheal the dead marine and apply a timed ban to the murderer.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    Message the apparent leader and inform them that, while permission isn't required for a mutiny, an ahelp must still be submitted containing the names of the mutineers and their reasons for mutiny. Use LOOC if necessary but avoid general OOC as it could indicate to command a mutiny is imminent.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    Use LOOC to ask them to stop. If they continue, inform them they are in violation of Rule 3 and apply warnings. Someone being bothered enough to ahelp about it warrants people being asked to tone it down a bit, regardless of how many others seem to be OK with it.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Add a ban for griefing, then aheal the victims. File for a permaban.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Message them and ask what happened. If it seems like they died on purpose, add a warning or xeno jobban depending on if they have any similar incidents.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    Message them and tell them to knock it off. Add a warning for LRP. Also inform them that all xenos are required to obey the Queen, and apply a xeno jobban if they continue.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    Inform the player that xenos aren't required to use phrases like "bird" or "tallhost" because the hivemind chat is a translation of their thoughts and not literal.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    Check to make sure there's not some kind of "no meta rules" or other event that would permit this. If not, add a warning or command jobban for metagaming.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    The escape pod explodes if more than three people are on it, so I would say killing someone to take their spot is a valid IC action as long as it was RP'd before and afterward. If the marine in question just walked up, opened the pod, and immediately shot them without saying a word before or after, I would consider that improper escalation. If necessary, ask the other two players how they interpreted the situation. Possibly suggest the murdered player make a report if they are unsatisfied with my response.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    Inform them they are welcome to make a Staff Report if they disagree with my actions. If they continue, ask another staff member to handle it to avoid any potential bias from handling my own case.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    I'm not sure if moderators can do this or not. Either way, inform him that it's an IC issue... unless he was SSD because he was aslept by myself or another staff member, in which case contact an admin to handle it.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    Talk to them in Msay about my concerns. If they brush me off and I truly believe they're in the wrong, talk to their Manager about it.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    Add my own commentary to the conversation. If no consensus can be reached, contact higher-level staff ask them to rule on it and add it to the Rule Clarifications sticky, because something causing such disagreement probably deserves to be clarified formally.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    I feel like the CM community is in a really good place right now and want to do my part to help make it even better. I figure moderation is a pretty stressful job so the more people willing to take slices of that on themselves, the easier it gets for all staff to enjoy themselves and avoid burnout.

Also, I'm typically active during lowpop rounds that bridge the transition from US players heading to bed and European players waking up, where there tends to be very few staff members online.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Impartiality and professionalism. A moderator should never demonstrate even the appearance of bias or favoritism, and should remain polite and professional even in the face of the most vicious criticism. Their actions reflect on staff as a whole and should be as close to beyond reproach as possible.

Anything else you
    This is my second mod application, as the first was denied due to a need to cut back on staff numbers. However, I received an all-clear to resubmit it at this time.

If anyone has any questions or comments for me, I'd be more than happy to answer them here!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good application made by a just as good member of the community; no notes, and asides a recent hiatus you�ve been rather active within the community.

Application is also well done, though as pointed out, one of the questions was off. But then again, nothing that can�t be ironed out during your trial.

I�d be happy to have you apart of the team, so here�s my official +1. Use it wisely.
    That�s what I said the last time.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Is what I have to say this time.

Application is well done and I know for a fact you�ll make a good moderator. I get that sounds biased, and it probably is. However you�re active, have nothing major in your notes, and you have a pretty good sense of how things work around here. You�ll do just fine, so

+1. Could use more hats.
    Last edited by Frans_Feiffer; 02-08-2019 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Reason.

Your 'Friendly' Neighborhood Captain, Frans Feiffer. Austrian Kommodore vith zie vorst accent, survivor of Space Vietnam, and Loving Caretaker of the Ungas Aboard the USS Almayer.
    Pred App that is now null lol
    Synthetic model Darwin

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your first app was fine, even if the timing wasn't. Great player, great app. Easy +1.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised you have to do another application, wish they would have just accepted the last one.
    +1

Whitelisted Synthetic Adralimas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ye sure! +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still an excellent player. +1 as well as my +1 from last time.

Manager Emeritus & System Administrator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said on the last application, huge +1 from me. Excellent player, excellent knowledge of the rules, should be an excellent addition to the team.
    TrialModerator from 12/15/2018 to 12/29/2018
    Moderator from 12/29/2018 to 6/29/2019
    TrialAdmin from 6/29/2019 to 7/29/2019
    Admin from 7/29/2019 to 6/17/2021
    Manager from 6/17/2021 to ???
    ManagerEmeritus from ??? to ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can make this work.

+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! +1
    Marine: Mel Kim
    Captain: Mel Kim
    Synth: Yuki
    Mentor: 12/13/2018 - 02/07/2019 -> TrialMod: 02/07/2019 - 02/22/2019-> Moderator: 02/22/2019 - 01/xx/2020

Ex-term 3 synthetic councillor.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wait, you aren't a mod yet?

I'll just copy-paste what I wrote last time
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Big +1.
    A small part of the Synthetic Council

with Jakkk, AcuteCircle, Pedroca2lucas and Kineem