Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flpfs - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal InformationByond ID?
    Flpfs

Player Name You Use Most?
    Phillip Clap

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    //showthrea...ic-Application - Synthetic - Accepted

Have you received any bans in the last month?
    No

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC -04

What is your discord username and handle?
    Tango#1095

Basic Questions & StoryWhat do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The job of a Commanding Officer is to set the overarching strategy that the XO will implement. He sets the tune the marines will march to, and since he can't be in all places at the same time, he must put his trust and delegate the department heads and squad leads to follow the plan.

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    I want to be a commanding officer because I enjoy command, and after personally seeing many other COs I believe I would enjoy being one too.

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    ExperienceHow familiar are you with command positions?
    I am very familiar with command positions, having played SO, XO and spending lots of time in the CIC.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    About 38

How familiar are you with Department Head positions?
    I am familiar with the head positions, having played them all. The position I am most familiar with mechanically is CMO.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure?
    I am knowledgeable in Marine Law and SOP, I can easily deal with the majority of cases and I am used to appeals and proper brigging procedure, however, on more complex cases I would prefer to defer to the CMP.

ScenariosWhen do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used?
    I believe a BE should be used when it is seriously disrupting my operation or my person. I'll show a few examples below:

A MT C4s into the CIC to beat one of my SOs or the XO up, I would BE them immediately.

When I am delivering briefing, somebody pushes me down from the hangar crane, punching and dragging me, I would also BE them.

Anyways, I intend to use BEs to stop really bad shittery that clogs up the round. I won't use it for minor things but stuff that borders griefing so I may keep my operation running smoothly.

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner?
    The circumstances are if the person is guilty of a minor or major crime, capital crimes cannot be pardoned.

Some situations I would pardon for would be:

A MT gets arrested for taking the Wey-Med out of medical and into the dropship for deployment, I would pardon them as long as I knew they were trustworthy.

A squad marine climbs into req's table and steals a M2C kit since nobody at req was responding for several minutes. I would pardon them as long as they didn't break anything in Req and only went there for their supplies.

An OT accidentally blows up his lab and gets charged with DTGP Major and NoD, I would pardon them if it was clarified to me that they are new to the job and still learning.

ConfirmationsDo you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes
    Last edited by Flpfs; 06-07-2021 at 05:47 PM. Reason: expanded

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya!

I've seen you a fair few times in Command, acting as XO both with and without a CO to look over you. Nothing extraordinary from my personaly POV, but that also means you must not have messed up really badly. So yay!

Now, time to nitpick this...

Your story is pretty good. Only things I would pick apart about it are some very minor lore aspects (since Im the resident lore nerd). It would be the UA border, not the US border for example. Likewise, it would be a UA colony, not a USCM Colony. The Marine Corps is a military wing. They don't really make and maintain colonies. Outposts maybe, but those are military in nature and don't really foster families.

Your BE answers are... ok. Although they do seem a bit steep. You would need to elaborate on them to fully make them understandable and 100% valid for a BE. A MT breaching into CiC and assaulting your staff? Yeah thats obviously a capital crime and BE-able, but dont BE if MPs can be called instead, or you yourself can take them down non-lethally. This is even more apparent with being disrupted at Briefing. Usually there'd be at least one MP at brief to make sure people dont get away with this sorta stuff. Let them handle this. Don't blast a guy for it.

Your Pardon answers were overall very much ok and what I'd expect. Although I don't know how a Marine is gonna "climb the table and get a M2C Kit from req", given that they cant access the vendor for it. Still! Very much decent.

Overall, despite above mentioned hiccups, I believe this App is decent and workable. You can iron out the issues I named - or maybe they were simply miscommunications. Either way, I have trust that you will do well in the Captain's chair in the end. Thus, I'll give this a +1!

Good luck with the App, Commander!
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can personally vouch for the abilities of Philip Clap as a XO that would make him a good CO after multiple rounds. And the BE answer is fine. I don't like the idea that BEs should not be used if you can call MPs.

The BE is also a tool to reinforce the CO's authority on the ship, sometimes it just is better to blast the marine intentionally disrupting the mission instead of waiting to MPs. It also adds spice/RP to the round which wouldn't happen if MPs just lamely arrested someone as long as BE guidelines are followed. The best way to BE somebody is if you can do it without the BE'd person feeling OOCly attacked.

Anyway, Philip Clap is a good XO that has the ability to follow orders, delegate the tasks he doesn't need to do himself, give orders and even RP well with other personnel on the CIC and the marines on the ground.

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've watched a few of your XO rounds and while I never actually could join them as CO, you definitely know how to make sure an op is running. I like your banter and command announcement style overall.

The BE is as much an IC 'moderation' tool as it is a IC privilege. As long as it's valid, you can apply it as much (or as little) as you want and while most CO's prefer to leave them as an antigriefing measure, it does not have to be only that.

Overall your app is okay in the sense it ticks all the boxes. Kind of think you could have been more verbose with the open ended questions. Your backstory however is very good, I enjoyed reading it.

Since I haven't seen you actually do MP stuff, I'll do the questions based on some of the thing's I've seen happen at your new favorite part of the ship. In all of these assume you do not have someone to defer to and for whatever reason you have to handle it:

- Marine gets arrested for DASO during briefing. When he appeals, you find out that his charges are now five counts of DASO and four counts of Minor Disorderedly Conduct in Brig, as apparently the CMP counted each insult directed at them separately. Who do you talk to and what else do you do/look at through an appeal involving this? Do the charges seem valid?

- A spec is appealing his Desertion charge. He claims that during a stint in jail on something unrelated he was mistreated by the Warden, who among other things messed with his personal records. The CMPs involvement is unclear, but they clearly were at least aware this was going on. When the marine was released, he demanded the changes to his record be reversed and refused to deploy until that was done. What actions are appropriate here?

- A conflict between the XO and SOs ends with SOs storming out of the CIC and refusing to return. This all happened before you got the CIC. The XO repeatedly made rude, obnoxious comments and was asked to stop multiple times by the SOs, but instead threatened them with disciplinary action. The XO ordered the arrest of both of the SOs on charges of Neglect of Duty. One is arrested while sitting in the cafeteria, the other deploys and refuses to return until he has to be medevaced and is arrested in medbay. What charges and other actions are appropriate here for all involved, ML wise?

- The CE orders the arrest of both of their MTs for NOD. The CE then dies/cryos before the arrests are made. Both MTs are brigged for NOD and Resisting Arrest, since they tried to run. No one actually seems to know what the NOD charge was actually for, MPs included. Before you have a chance to investigate, one of the MTs smashes a brig window, leaves the cell and is recaptured and put into perma for Jailbreak. Both appeal their charges, arguing that the NOD charge was invalid and it led to all the other charges. Which charges here can be successfully appealed?

- The CL acquires a xeno egg and is busted by the MPs and charged with sedition. The egg is in his private containment, but was never planted. The CMO mentions that the CL was asking about growing a xeno specimen, but since they didn't have everything they needed for one, the conversation never got anywhere. The CL is appealing his Sedition charge, how do you find?

There! I'll give you my vote after you answer these questions.
    Senior Administrator

Synthetic Council Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The five counts of DASO are incorrect, DASO in confinement becomes Minor Disorderly Conduct in Confinement, so the CMP is very much overcharging here. I would investigate and see if the 4 other DASOs were committed in the Brig while he was under arrest, if they were, I would accept his appeal and his charges would be 1 DASO and 4 Minor Disorderly Conducts in Confinement.

About the spec, this situation would result in a huge mess OOCly. I would check his records myself and see if they were messed with. If I DID have evidence that the Warden deliberately griefed the records, I would ahelp as that is not allowed. Now I'm presuming he was arrested for Desertion after he was released? If he refused to deploy when he was told to after he was released because his records weren't fixed, it is still Desertion. Regarding the CMP, if he was aware that the warden fucked the records up on purpose and didn't brig the warden, I would ahelp the CMP too and arrest him.

With the XOs and SOs, this is also a tricky problem. As for the SO who deployed without authorization, it is Desertion as he never intended to return shipside anyways. The SO who stayed shipside will be charged with NoD only. As for the XO who caused this whole situation in the first place, I would also charge him with NoD for his unbecoming conduct and discharge him with the demotion clause.

Regarding the CE's ordered arrest, since he cryoed and the MPs did not get a chance for an explanation as to why the arrest was ordered, I would remove both of the MT's charges for NOD, however, the MT who jailbroke will still be keeping his jailbreak charge.

And the CL with the egg. A xenomorph created without permission on the ship is a massive threat, and as the CL did not inform me that he wanted to grow a xeno, the sedition charge remains, even if he didn't actually succeed in growing one, he surely attempted to do so and he should have spoken with me before even talking to the CMO about it.

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flpfs View Post
    The five counts of DASO are incorrect, DASO in confinement becomes Minor Disorderly Conduct in Confinement, so the CMP is very much overcharging here. I would investigate and see if the 4 other DASOs were committed in the Brig while he was under arrest, if they were, I would accept his appeal and his charges would be 1 DASO and 4 Minor Disorderly Conducts in Confinement.
    Wrong.

Minor Disorderly in Confinement is added on top of the crime that was committed in the brig.

The CMP is being harsh, but if he is correct per for example his recorded that he should be using, the charges are placed correctly. You could argue to reduce it to 2 DASOs and one Minor Disorderly, but in theory at least, the sentence is right.

You on the other hand just botched an appeal and earned a possible NOD charge.

About the spec, this situation would result in a huge mess OOCly. I would check his records myself and see if they were messed with. If I DID have evidence that the Warden deliberately griefed the records, I would ahelp as that is not allowed. Now I'm presuming he was arrested for Desertion after he was released? If he refused to deploy when he was told to after he was released because his records weren't fixed, it is still Desertion. Regarding the CMP, if he was aware that the warden fucked the records up on purpose and didn't brig the warden, I would ahelp the CMP too and arrest him.
    All of this is correct, though you could probably argue during the appeal that the desertion charge was applied unfairly (the spec didn't refuse to deploy the had a valid grievance with the MPs). I was chiefly looking for correctly assigning blame to both the dept. head as well as his subordinates.

With the XOs and SOs, this is also a tricky problem. As for the SO who deployed without authorization, it is Desertion as he never intended to return shipside anyways. The SO who stayed shipside will be charged with NoD only. As for the XO who caused this whole situation in the first place, I would also charge him with NoD for his unbecoming conduct and discharge him with the demotion clause.
    Correct on all of them. Congrats, all of your CIC is now in jail :P This may be a good time to flex those pardon powers.

Regarding the CE's ordered arrest, since he cryoed and the MPs did not get a chance for an explanation as to why the arrest was ordered, I would remove both of the MT's charges for NOD, however, the MT who jailbroke will still be keeping his jailbreak charge.
    Correct.

And the CL with the egg. A xenomorph created without permission on the ship is a massive threat, and as the CL did not inform me that he wanted to grow a xeno, the sedition charge remains, even if he didn't actually succeed in growing one, he surely attempted to do so and he should have spoken with me before even talking to the CMO about it.
    Context matters here, but that is one of the possible outcomes. You may also want to look into how the egg got up into the ship in the first place.

The one question was wrong was a technicality during an appeal, the bane of all starting CMPs/MPs who handle them. Overall I'd say this is a positive.

After watching a few more of your rounds, you seem to have a very low tolerance for things going weird or crazy in the CIC around you. As CO you will be a magnet for those things, please mind your temper and OOC remarks.

None of what I've seen however is any worse than any of the current COs sometimes do nor can't it be worked out in time and overall I think you tick all the boxes for the WL, so that's a +1 from me. Good luck.
    Senior Administrator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've managed to play my one round of CO with you and unfortunately I don't think I can support you on your application. I'll touch up on your app and then the issues I saw with you during our operation on LV-624 and some other minor things.

Your BE answers are pretty good but my only recommendation is to always carry a flash and cuffs as CO. That way if you are being disarmed spammed you have a nonlethal way to subdue your attacker and so you don't risk being disarmed and losing the mateba, It's happened before and nothing is worse than losing your precious sidearm.

Your pardons are also ok but aren't the best. Mostly because you can NJP someone taking the med vendor or just authorize it because it's the better thing to do. The second, you can't NJP because the timer would exceed 10 minutes and the last one I would ahelp beforehand so admins can handle it first. Other than that your answers are ok.

From the first round I played with you as CO the first thing I noticed that was how you were running around getting things such as AA and OB done when I said I could handle those so you could make plans. This is fine as long as you can get briefing done and everything but when it came time to do briefing, it was very lackluster. You're orders were pretty much, "Every squad go to gap and BRAVO FOB." I've seen these in more than just the single round I played with you too so I know it wasn't just feeling tired or a lack of motivation for that day. At first I didn't think too much of it but as the round progressed it became more obvious that you seemed to lack the awareness needed from the aCO. You were keeping marines informed on the xenos they were fighting and the kills they'd gotten. A sign of a good SO and command player but when there was no gap you remained silent until 1 minute before fog dropped, telling marines to wait at hydro and then asked me why hydro was unfortified when you had not given any order prior to fortify hydro or even get power up before fog dropped. Once fog dropped it became even worse as I just sat in CiC and watched rather and give orders like I usually do, just to see how you'd react as marines endlessly butted there head against a single choke being captured one by one. Again you gave no orders for quite some time and it wasn't until we had lost around 8 marines to captures and many more going perma at the choke that you announce a flank which by that time we had already been reduced to 30 marines and could not afford to split the force up and only resulted in more losses. As it stands your plans need a lot of work and you need to also work on being aware of the entire operation as you seemed to tunnel vision a few marines or just not care about an overall plan other than, "marines rush here and BRAVO FOB".

You're a fine command player but you have a lot more work to do before I can see you as a reliable and good aCO. So therefore I'm afraid I'm going to have to give my -1 to this app for now. Don't let this discourage you from applying in the future and I feel as if it won't take long to mend this issue but until you do I'm afraid I cannot recommend you for a CO role.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heya, so let me start with the positives: I dont really have issues with the way you lead operations. It's good (enough) for all intents and purposes. Well, compared to most of what I see these days anyways. Now we come to your app, I find it to be a bit *brief* to say the least. Your anwers feel a bit lackluster and can definitly be expanded upon, do look at the other accepted apps. Your story doesnt really tell me anything about your commander and it is overdetailed in some aspects, lacking detail in others and generally just something I feel you wrote in like 30 minutes or so.

Now, and this is the main reason I came back to your app. In the round that just ended on Fiorina Science Annex, the mp buff test round, you tried to BE my bad mood alt Aurora. After a round filled with antagonism between the mps and marines and having suffered horrendous losses due to the Alamo leaving too early, CO Crimson decided to hold the ship post hijack. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself, it's Crimson and I'd be amazed if we did evac. What you then tried to do, however, was attempt to plant c4 on the console so evac couldn't be physically called at all anymore. An SO saw the madness in this and started body blocking you and pushing you out of the way. I decided to join in by simply standing at the southern exit of the CIC bubble. Just standing there, not talking to you, merely standing there in disarm attent. Pushing you away whenever you came close. You told me to move and I just, stayed put. Cause, why not. I have little intention of dying here and even less motivation to let you blow up my only way out of there. Your reaction to me standing there and keeping you from walking in: pointblanking me with a slug loaded shotgun. So I get dazed and moved a few tiles. Clearly your moment to go into the bubble and be done with it. But you didnt do that, you fired another slug at me, so I was in crit, and then fired yet another slug in me so I died. You then told the mps that were around, who you didnt call to have me removed earlier by the way, to cuff and not revive me. For all intents and purposes you tried to BE me as XO.

As such, when I read that ''I intend to use BEs to stop really bad shittery that clogs up the round. I won't use it for minor things but stuff that borders griefing so I may keep my operation running smoothly.''. I dont see how me standing there and keeping you from applying c4 to the evac console would somehow constitute grief or somehow prevents you from keeping the operation running smoothly. Even better, after my death you justified shooting me to those around by saying that you wanted to know where the aliens had landed and I was blocking access to the console. Which is amazing considering 2 minutes before that you tried to c4 the same console, and cause, you know, Crimson the CO had already clearly declared were the aliens landed as well as started the push towards that place.

So no, I dont think you should be an CO with the way things are now. You'll get a -1 from me. I'll happily give you a +1 if you put more effort in your app, especially the story, and prove yourself more able to handle stressful rounds.

Synthetic Council Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    > I have little intention of dying here and even less motivation to let you blow up my only way out of there.
    Right, so you were doing a mutiny (which I never knew about) to get evac called, instead of saying anything or giving me a chance to stand down, you just kept pushing me, you never said a single word to me in total.
    I asked you SEVERAL times to stop pushing me and let me into the CIC bubble, but you refused. This was a few minutes after the xenos had crashed, for context.
    After I asked you about three or four times, I shot you.
    It was very clear that you wanted to bait me into shooting you and you succeeded, you also violated server rules as you mutinied without giving me or Crimson the chance to stand down.

Anyways, yes, I shot you, you deserved it since you countermanded orders and mutinied to get hijack called.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merely blocking the way into the bubble is not a mutiny, nor paramount to one. A mutiny is a dedicated, deliberate attempt at removing someone from power, which Elly was not doing. She was blocking your way, so at most you can claim she was disrupting operations. If you WERE a CO, you would have reasonably been fine with BEing her as this was Delta Alert and preventing you from doing your job is valid.

However, you are not a CO, yet. An XO is physically not allowed to shoot people unless it is self-defence. You do not have BE rights. As I myself said in my previous reply, I share concerns about your BE answers, as they seemed rather steep in escalation partially. Back then I believed you would take my advice to heart, such as when I recommended not to, for example, BE someone disrupting briefing. It's a valid BE in a certain way, sure, but not good sport and frankly a bit overkill.

Elly is a very trustworthy person and I've known them for a long time, and so I will trust their side of the story. You seem to clearly be a bit trigger happy, and do not fully understand what is and is not a valid cause for execution. Not to mention doing this as a XO, who doesn't have the right to do so at all. This additionally makes me sad because it could have been solved in many other ways. You could have asked for the CO's help, or (since comms were presumably down then) asked for permission to blow the console before they left CiC. You could have also tried to roleplay and talk it out. Delta Alert is Delta Alert and escalation rules may be relaxed, but that doesn't mean you SHOULD just go and PB someone for standing in your way, when your intended goal was to blow up the only way to call evac and save their lives. That is not to mention that wanting to C4 the console to begin with is bad sport, since there are many people who don't enjoy hijack and don't want to partake in it, opting to instead leave the round and do something else in the 10-15 minutes it takes. Not calling evac is fine obviously, but by destroying the console you forever doom people to stay when they really loathe being there.

Also? Why PB them and ask to permakill? If your intended goal was NOT to blow up the console, then just have them revived. Arresting someone during Delta Alert is stupid in of itself, and the excuse of 'I need to check cams' is equally as silly when, as Elly mentioned, Crimson had already called out the crash site. You killed Elly for no reason, basically. If you made up 'They were trying to mutiny!' as an IC reasoning at the time to seem reasonable to the Marines around you then that's one thing, but you OOCly believe they were trying to overthrow you from Command by simply stopping you from trying to destroy evac, before trying to permakill them which, even in a REAL mutiny, is bad sport and should NOT be done (unless it is a mechanical BE, of course).

You are a good Commander for all intents and purposes, and you know this because I told you already. However, you also know I had my reservations with regards to BE and Pardons as stated above. This incident makes me think you would best be off waiting another month and brushing up on Captain's provisions in Marine Law, as well as proper escalation rules. You have what it takes, but you aren't ready yet fully. Changing my vote to an unfortunate -1
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022