User Tag List

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MP complaint thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttly View Post
    You might rarely if ever get brigged, but there are various legitimate reasons to break ML.

Stealing vendors is one of the most prominent ML break you'll see, and I'd blame it more on there being no public med vendor meant for general marine use. And before you bitch and whine about how people shouldn't be stealing vendors, medical literally has SIX of those vendors.

Other reasons include breaking into the DS control bubble to look at the DS camera/talk to the DS intercom (those intercoms on the bubble are unique in that they're tied to the ones in the DS regardless of Z level), and so on.
    Medical has plenty of vendors to spare, that's true.

But like... you DO know you can literally just ask? It takes like 10 seconds at most usually, and saves you all the trouble. You can ask any Doc and even if the CMO later comes out overruling them and wants the vendor back (Jean Corbeau moment) then you can deflect the blame by saying the Doctor allowed it.

Also, why break into the DS Bubble? I know the cams are handy but they're also DS only and thus very situational. MAYBE you'd check during evac but otherwise?
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might rarely if ever get brigged, but there are various legitimate reasons to break ML.

Stealing vendors is one of the most prominent ML break you'll see, and I'd blame it more on there being no public med vendor meant for general marine use. And before you bitch and whine about how people shouldn't be stealing vendors, medical literally has SIX of those vendors.

Other reasons include breaking into the DS control bubble to look at the DS camera/talk to the DS intercom (those intercoms on the bubble are unique in that they're tied to the ones in the DS regardless of Z level), and so on.
    Neither of those is a legitimate reason to break ML. If you want the medivendor ask the CMO or CO for it. If they deny than just go without one. You have medics, synth and FOB doctor to take care of you if you get hurt. Stealing the medivendor is not only against ML but also powergaming. ICly you have no idea you will actually find xenos down on the planet and breaking into medbay to take an entire vendor worth of medical supplies is really hard to justify ICly.

As for the DS bubble i have no idea what you would even want there. Why do you need to talk on DS intercom as a marine? If you want the ship to come up just ask on your regular comms.

The two most prominent ways marines break ML are powergamy stuff like breaking somewhere to get better gear which is bad behaviour even OOCly and disrupting briefing/req or insulting someone because "funny memes". As staff said themselves, if these were not handled ICly by MPs and ML you'd be getting notes and bans instead for stuff like this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LilPenpusher View Post
    Medical has plenty of vendors to spare, that's true.

But like... you DO know you can literally just ask? It takes like 10 seconds at most usually, and saves you all the trouble. You can ask any Doc and even if the CMO later comes out overruling them and wants the vendor back (Jean Corbeau moment) then you can deflect the blame by saying the Doctor allowed it.

Also, why break into the DS Bubble? I know the cams are handy but they're also DS only and thus very situational. MAYBE you'd check during evac but otherwise?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulferion View Post
    Neither of those is a legitimate reason to break ML. If you want the medivendor ask the CMO or CO for it. If they deny than just go without one. You have medics, synth and FOB doctor to take care of you if you get hurt. Stealing the medivendor is not only against ML but also powergaming. ICly you have no idea you will actually find xenos down on the planet and breaking into medbay to take an entire vendor worth of medical supplies is really hard to justify ICly.

As for the DS bubble i have no idea what you would even want there. Why do you need to talk on DS intercom as a marine? If you want the ship to come up just ask on your regular comms.

The two most prominent ways marines break ML are powergamy stuff like breaking somewhere to get better gear which is bad behaviour even OOCly and disrupting briefing/req or insulting someone because "funny memes". As staff said themselves, if these were not handled ICly by MPs and ML you'd be getting notes and bans instead for stuff like this.
    Grasping at straws, barely a reason to take someone out of the round for more than ten minutes for actions that quite literally have minimum to no actual consequence to the so called victims, powergaming as a rule is not a thing anymore and rarely if ever was even actually enforced, distilled to more specific rules such as "no roundstart tacshotties", and "taking an entire vendor worth of medical supply is hard to justifcy ICly." seriously? You're going to deploy on a hostile occupied colony (expected contact rule), whether it's xenos or CLF, a medvendor is very much justified ICly. Moreso due to the lack of a public use medvendor. And those deploying doctors/synths would also have use for those medvendor, refilling oxy injector for surgery is not really a thing without one.
    What's next, you're gonna say any PFC that takes a splint is powergaming since splints are non-standard issue on the prep outside of minimedic kit?
    Or what, anyone that steals a crowbar from engineering should be arrested even on maps with a lot of doors that might be unpowered?

DS bubble, those cameras are literally your only window to planetside while shipside as non-CIC role, and having someone report whether the PO is being a fuckhead by disconnecting in the cockpit for whatever reason (happens quite often for some reason) and reporting it is rather essential and CIC might be overwhelmed and couldn't bother to check whether DSes are doing their thing, and the intercom serves its niche due to planetside Z-level literally not having a general channel anymore, meaning that people around the DS which hopefully includes the PO can be informed whether or not there are marines at hangar in a much more noticeable channel colour.
    The better question in this case is literally: Why is the DS bubble even not all access? The roles that even has access to the launch console ALREADY has access to the bubble, and the roles that couldn't access the console still has uses for the other features it has.
    There is quite literally NO NEGATIVE EFFECTS WHATSOEVER unless you want to stretch "communicating through the only inter-Z-level intercom in the whole game" as one.
    Also talking through that intercom doesn't clutter squad channels.

And to add, the solution of "just ask for them" would get old quick. ICly there's little logical reason for the departments to say no, afterall shipside roles have always only really existed to for lack of better words, serve planetside roles.
    To say no is the equivalent of req denying items to marines and hoarding them for shipside crash which ICly is legitimate metagaming, and if anything is more LRP.
    XO/COs that do meme strats (multi LZ FOB, req point only techweb buy, etc.) on the other hand are making valid alternate options through IC perspective, and as such I have nothing against them despite being borderline softgrief.

Oh, and "player-run events" such as CL buying up and selling gubbins, doodads, drugs, etc. from req, research, planetside, has been previously warned (and players even banned) to be "LRP", so don't give me that shipside roles are there to RP, they've been enforced to be there to serve planetside ones. Self-gratifying RP such as CL faxes that are literally only visible to ghosts who for all purposes might as well be OOC observers are strictly such.
    MT mains shennanigans are quite literally the few remaining roles that even bother to do out of the box stuff and even those are getting rarer now.
    Last edited by Ttly; 06-17-2021 at 03:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MPs aren't people.

Simple as.

Yautja Council Member Joe Lampost's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zab1019 View Post
    mps aren't people.

Simple as.
    correct

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://cm-ss13.com/wiki/Marine_Law
    avoid breaking this
    100% chance you will never be arrested or bothered by an MP
    Stephen Belfast, PBer
    Pau'thi Teer, unrobust pred
    JO-J0, really bad runner
    Also Yautja WL councillor. Feel free to DM me on discord for any Predator related concerns.
    FrankTheMagicPotato#5067
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankTheMagicPotato View Post
    https://cm-ss13.com/wiki/Marine_Law
    avoid breaking this
    100% chance you will never be arrested or bothered by an MP
    yes good now go tell all humankind to respect basic human rights

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grasping at straws, barely a reason to take someone out of the round for more than ten minutes for actions that quite literally have minimum to no actual consequence to the so called victims, powergaming as a rule is not a thing anymore and rarely if ever was even actually enforced, distilled to more specific rules such as "no roundstart tacshotties", and "taking an entire vendor worth of medical supply is hard to justifcy ICly." seriously? You're going to deploy on a hostile occupied colony (expected contact rule), whether it's xenos or CLF, a medvendor is very much justified ICly. Moreso due to the lack of a public use medvendor. And those deploying doctors/synths would also have use for those medvendor, refilling oxy injector for surgery is not really a thing without one.
    What's next, you're gonna say any PFC that takes a splint is powergaming since splints are non-standard issue on the prep outside of minimedic kit?
    Or what, anyone that steals a crowbar from engineering should be arrested even on maps with a lot of doors that might be unpowered?
    Minimum to no actual consequences for the doctors is not the point here. If you go and rob walmart it also has minimum to no actual consequences for the workers there but you'll still get in trouble for it. When i said "hard to justify ICly" i didn't mean you have no reason to want the vendor. I meant you have little justification for stealing it. If you want something, ask for it, especially since as you said there is little reason for the deparments to say no. If a doctor or especially synth wants to take the vendor they ask for it as well. Ultimately the distribution of medical supplies falls under the CMO.

As for the crowbar example, yes, stealing is stealing. Doesn't matter how bad you want or need something if you steal it you are a thief and should expect the consequences.

All of these examples are you breaking ML to get some extra advantage that you don't really need. You have medics to heal you and you have engineers to open doors for you. Maybe if you actually stick to your squad you wouldn't feel such a need for these. In the end nobody is stopping you from breaking ML but when you do you should be willing to accept that it has consequences. It's like when you run red lights don't get mad when you get a fine for it.

DS bubble, those cameras are literally your only window to planetside while shipside as non-CIC role, and having someone report whether the PO is being a fuckhead by disconnecting in the cockpit for whatever reason (happens quite often for some reason) and reporting it is rather essential and CIC might be overwhelmed and couldn't bother to check whether DSes are doing their thing, and the intercom serves its niche due to planetside Z-level literally not having a general channel anymore, meaning that people around the DS which hopefully includes the PO can be informed whether or not there are marines at hangar in a much more noticeable channel colour.
    The better question in this case is literally: Why is the DS bubble even not all access? The roles that even has access to the launch console ALREADY has access to the bubble, and the roles that couldn't access the console still has uses for the other features it has.
    There is quite literally NO NEGATIVE EFFECTS WHATSOEVER unless you want to stretch "communicating through the only inter-Z-level intercom in the whole game" as one.
    Also talking through that intercom doesn't clutter squad channels.
    While i agree with you that the DS bubble may as well be accessible to everyone its not a huge deal. At the end of the day it's not your job as a marine to check wheter the PO is working or not. Why not just wait for a bit and then if the DS is taking a long time just "; Hey the DS is not flying. Can you send it up?" and leave CIC to do the rest. There might be other reasons why the DS is being kept on the ground like FOB being threatened, waiting for important passenger/cargo, stuff like that. You can fill that time with other gameplay. Go chat with the doctors or anyone else in the hangar. Or go have a drink the mess SGT. The game is not just about clicking sprites.

And to add, the solution of "just ask for them" would get old quick. ICly there's little logical reason for the departments to say no, afterall shipside roles have always only really existed to for lack of better words, serve planetside roles.
    To say no is the equivalent of req denying items to marines and hoarding them for shipside crash which ICly is legitimate metagaming, and if anything is more LRP.
    XO/COs that do meme strats (multi LZ FOB, req point only techweb buy, etc.) on the other hand are making valid alternate options through IC perspective, and as such I have nothing against them despite being borderline softgrief.
    Shipside departments are not there only to serve planetside roles. The game doesn't revolve just around the ground operation. There are events happening shipside that sometimes require to shift the focus of some departments and thats ok. The game is not about winning or loosing the round nor is it about getting kills. If RO makes a deal with CL to put some supplies on the side to turn a profit than thats a part of the game as well even if it may cost marines the operation. It's a failure of MPs and command to notice and deal with it sure, but its part of the game. The very idea of different strats being "softgrief" is a pretty bad way to look at things. As long as it's not something stupid like suicide charging or some such, its a completely ok thing to do even if marines loose.

Oh, and "player-run events" such as CL buying up and selling gubbins, doodads, drugs, etc. from req, research, planetside, has been previously warned (and players even banned) to be "LRP", so don't give me that shipside roles are there to RP, they've been enforced to be there to serve planetside ones. Self-gratifying RP such as CL faxes that are literally only visible to ghosts who for all purposes might as well be OOC observers are strictly such.
    MT mains shennanigans are quite literally the few remaining roles that even bother to do out of the box stuff and even those are getting rarer now.
    I've seen many CLs sell drugs or do other stuff of the similar nature. I saw people building shops and training arenas, organize a mess in the chapel, have a boxing match or play basketball. I've done some of those things myself. Hell i even saw a CO sell the whole ship one time. And to this day i have no notes, nor have i heard of anyone else involved get in trouble. As long as you don't outright refuse to do your job or take it over the line somehow (kidnapping people, disrupting other peoples work, etc...) you are mostly fine. And if you go through proper channels (asking CE for building permission, etc..รบ you don't even get in trouble with MPs.

As for MT shenenigans they are nowadays mostly either forming a stupid tribe or just running around the ship stealing and breaking shit to meme on MPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    K so, going to give my two cents on this if anyone asks (Denholm by the way if anyone remembers me ) Also going to start this off by saying sorry about my grammar and spelling I'm really fucked up on painkillers and wearing off anesthesia from surgery on my foot, but I wanted to write on this so here we are.

After playing on TGMC for a month and seeing how smoothly shit goes even when we had 80 pop and basically all the shipside roles filled tells me that MPs are unneeded, but then again you could say TGMC is LRP And all of that but from what I experienced so is CM and bringing someone for 10 minutes for taking a med vendor is just a way to be a cunt to someone who just wants to play a game and have fun their own way which I find to be a pretty shitty thing to do, and if we're going to complain about "powergaming" you can complain about all the shipside roles that get guns after evac or why req suddenly starts spamming out metal and grenades for "no apparent reason". ( also funnily enough I find myself having more meaningful conversations and fun moments with people on TGMC more than CM and most of the people there are quite a bit more friendly.)

while RP is good and all there comes a point where you have to understand that its a game and people are going to play it their own way, some people want to play shooter and are just silent while bang bang xenos and some people write paragraph-long announcements have and a character description that fills the entire screen and I feel like you should accommodate both playstyles. Also the whole thing about MTs kidnapping and messing with MPs being bad I don't really get that it much more fun to play MP and have to deal with people trying to kidnap you and kill you rather than play AFK or god complex simulator for 2 hours so I always liked the people that did that in my 100 hours of playing MP. Also wulf me and you both know that medics and engis usually are retarded or you have to stop pushing to go back and heal rather than carry an injector so I don't really see the argument about "it's unneeded" unless the month and a half from when I was banned medics suddenly got 500 IQ points.

Also, funny thing I noticed on TGMC as even though marines have access to all the meds and can open pill bottles people still go to medics to heal and get shrapnel out..... I wonder why. This same old argument of MP good vs MP bad isn't going to get anywhere for the 90000th time I know it's fun to complain about them but honestly, nothing is going to change unless management wants it and they have already shared their opinion on this shit countless times over the years. All I can say is I think MPs are unneeded as most of the shit they enforce is useless and easily fixed with a few development changes, but me ranting here isn't going to get anywhere.

If you want my solution to these issues and its probably a hot take but I would say just accept power gaming and the rest of that shit so that the TDM people can go have fun as at heart many of the people here want to shoot bang bang Xeno and this would come with removing MPs and laying up rules on theft and stuff, making med vendors and engineering vendors public, allowing marines to open pill bottles, adding a more complicated medical system so medics don't become useless, give MTs a purpose like maybe them having much faster repair speed for cases like they used to have or bring back reactors, or if you don't want to do that just remove them all together, and unwhitelist CO but put it behind like a 40-60 hour XO timelock along with a 5-10 hours in each role as a doctor, SL, Engi or MT, RO, or CT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulferion View Post
    ... ICly you have no idea you will actually find xenos down on the planet and breaking into medbay to take an entire vendor worth of medical supplies is really hard to justify ICly.
    Havent we been on "expected contact" for a while?