Personal InformationByond ID?
    6DIRTY

Marine Name
    Gael McGuinness

Other Whitelist Applications
    None

Character InformationName of the Synth Character you wish to play
    Gavin

What is your Synth�s quirk and personality?
    Corrupted speech module - can speak 1 or 2 word responses and short sentences, prolonged sentences become garbled as they go on.

Why do you want to be a synthetic/why should we whitelist you?
    I'd like to be a flexible support that can help out both on the Almayer and in the AO. Synth looks to be the apex of that. Also, Synths are able to create RP situations with both parties (USCM & Xenos), as opposed to just one.

Synthetic Character Story
    ExperienceHow familiar are you with Engineering?
    Fairly familiar with engineering - need a bit more practice with hacking but nothing I can't handle.

How familiar are you with Command?
    I'm efficient in command roles, I've experience playing as a Staff Officer and less commonly, an SL.

How familiar are you with Medical?
    Medical main for a few years - chemistry is rusty but nothing a round or two of making chems can't clear up.

How familiar are you with Requisitions?
    Fairly familiar with requisitions - I've manned the req line every so often and I have basic knowledge of the RO role.

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.
    Synths can only engage in melee combat if their well being is in danger. If it's marines / WY PMCs causing harm, I can only retaliate to the point of incapacitation or until the marine surrenders - NO KILLING. If it's a xeno / UPP / etc. I'm free to eliminate the threat. My duties to the ship and it's people and the commands that are given to me take top priority.

ConfirmationsAre you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
    Yes

Do you understand that you cannot advertise your application on any platform for votes. Do you also understand you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?
    No

Are you currently banned from our Discord, and if so, why?
    No

Other InformationDo you have anything else you would like to include about your application?
    I've always wanted to play as a Synth, but I've never really had the drive to come up with a story for my own Synth. A Synth WL would bring new flavor to CM for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.
    Synths can only engage in melee combat if their well being is in danger. If it's marines / WY PMCs causing harm, I can only retaliate to the point of incapacitation or until the marine surrenders - NO KILLING. If it's a xeno / UPP / etc. I'm free to eliminate the threat. My duties to the ship and it's people and the commands that are given to me take top priority.
    Addition: the synth's wellbeing or that of fellow marines / civilians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hrmn. I don't know about this, to be honest.

The quirk is very much on the 'unworkable' side for my liking. It's something that would actively hinder your ability to speak - and as such communicate with people, which is something the Council has expressively asked people to avoid in the past with dialect quirks and such. Perhaps you can loosen it, make it less impactful, but as it stands right now it's not working out for me.

Story is a bit on the short side for me, as well, and your answer to Combat synthing include that you're "Free to kill" any UPP, Xeno or similar, which is not true. You CAN kill, but only if they absolutely pressure you into doing so. Your goal should be to make them leave or back off, then running to safety.

I also have never seen you personally, but that might just be me with EU timezones I guess? I dunno.

-1 from me for now, primarily on grounds of the quirk.
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you brought your quirk up to the council members to see if it was acceptable? because I don't think a quirk like this would be great as it can hinder certain aspects of the game. Mainly communication.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The quirk is very much on the 'unworkable' side for my liking. It's something that would actively hinder your ability to speak - and as such communicate with people, which is something the Council has expressively asked people to avoid in the past with dialect quirks and such. Perhaps you can loosen it, make it less impactful, but as it stands right now it's not working out for me.
    Does it really come off as that restrictive? I figured short responses (that are clear cut) such as "Danger. North." or short sentences as "FOB is good." would be enough to communicate the important parts of what needs to be known. It's just long drawn out sentences that give Gavin issues.

Story is a bit on the short side for me, as well, and your answer to Combat synthing include that you're "Free to kill" any UPP, Xeno or similar, which is not true. You CAN kill, but only if they absolutely pressure you into doing so. Your goal should be to make them leave or back off, then running to safety.
    I attempted to go back and expand on what I meant but the edit post function just infinite loading circle'd me. I meant "free to kill" as in since they're not USCM or WY assets, they're not going to be missed if it came down to them dying. Naturally, I wouldn't take the time to kill kill someone / something that wasn't attempting to hurt myself or the marines around me.

Thanks for the input fellows

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6DIRTY View Post
    Does it really come off as that restrictive? I figured short responses (that are clear cut) such as "Danger. North." or short sentences as "FOB is good." would be enough to communicate the important parts of what needs to be known. It's just long drawn out sentences that give Gavin issues.
    I get that, but it's something that is bound to create issues with communication. Which, again, the Council has repeatedly told people to not do with quirks. They already tell people off if they want Cowboy accents because 'some people won't be able to decipher your language'. Now imagine if you were to speak a sentence with half of it being garbled nonsense.

It's flavourful, I won't deny it, and give you props for creativity here. But for a roleplaying environment, and one where you WILL have to communicate back to people, it's not very good. If someone asks you an important question, simply replying "Yes" or "No" might not cut it, and then your quirk comes in and makes it sorta unintelligible. Either that, or you choose only to 'use' the quirk in non-vital situations, like shipside convos with doctors or whatever. But at that point you've half given up on the quirk and...

well. You get what I mean, I'm sure. I don't mean to bash, really, it's just that it's not something I like very much. You'll have to wait for how to the council sees things (though I think you really should have asked a councillor about your quirk beforehand anywho to avoid this).
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Synthetic Council Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

quirk shows that you didn't even bother to read the synth guidelines

Synthetic Council Member QuickLoad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some glaring issues with this app, many of which have already been addressed.
    - Quirk is unfeasible for the synth WL.
    - Answers are spotty, and not comprehensive. You should re-read the synthetic guidelines and procedures.
    - Story is short and doesn't show your capability to RP.
    - No vouches on your support roles nor for your character being seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, you guys are right - it's not a great quirk, though it's hard to come up with one that's new and not just "super fun and sunshines" or "straight shooter" synths. I'm gonna go ahead and request to withdraw this as the odds of it going through are none to none, but I'll come back another time after thinking of something that works but is also fresh. Thanks for the input Misti, and I'll be sure to be more outstanding in-round so that people notice my character more often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be withdrawn, but still wanna wish you best of luck in the future! I'll try and keep an eye out for your character in particular in the coming month to see how you're faring ^^
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.