User Tag List

Thread: TGUI Problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TGUI Problems

So I've been having issues for the past while with the new TGUI elements, primarily the basic list ones such as what is used for techweb implant pods, drone resin structure selection, bioprinters, Almayer phones, beno evolution and such. For example, here's the gear selection in character setup, which is a good example as it lets me check TGUI's functionality without having to join a round.

tgui1.jpg

What I've discovered is that the options are formatted horizontally rather than vertically for some reason, making only the top-most option in the list usable. Scrolling causes the list to snap back to the very top after half a second.
    I used to set it to compatibility mode and stretch the window horizontally which made the buttons beside it visible, but not only did that have a limit of about four or so visible buttons before the window wouldn't expand further (which was fine for techpods but not bioprinters or gear selection), the current version stretches the first button to fit the window so I can't do that anymore. Now, the version right after the old one was a Blue Screen of Fuck You directly from Oranges, so minimal functionality is definitely better than no functionality.

bsod1.jpg

I began to have these issues since TGUI was ported about six months ago, but I believed I was the only one so I didn't want to inquire about it, after all; UI work is infamously frustrating in coding and asking to revert the TGUI port altogether wasn't viable as it was surely ported in the first place for a good reason and I seemed to be the only one having trouble with it anyway. I decided that this must be a sign from the spirit of Cheng Chan to quit playing and finally finish Shadow of Chernobyl or something, but after a few months my hankering to slap trauma kits on muhreens got the better of me. Really, I suppose I just hoped that Waltermeldron or someone just happened to come across and untie whatever code knot what causing the issue as I believed I did everything I could on my end to solve it and nothing worked. This seemed partially successful, as the profoundly busted blue screen version was now replaced by the current only-mostly-broken version. It still had all the problems of the oldest version I mentioned in the previous paragraph, but at least it displayed something.

Anyway, I saw a post by DarkSovet in the Quick Questions Thread mentioning my exact issue and decided to finally ask about this. I just want to know: Who else is having this problem, and does anyone know how to fix it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update IE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttly View Post
    Update IE.
    Thank you, but, what? I'm playing funny spaceman game from 2003 and I need the latest version of Internet Explorer for various UI elements to work? What in God's cock was going through their heads when they coded this fucking thing? I know things from TG have a reputation for style over substance but Christ, this is style over basic God damned functionality. Really, what's the benefit of this over HTML? The visuals? It's a fucking list! Well, it's finicky as shit and doesn't work for some people, but it sure looks pretty! Fantastic trade-off, fantastic! Hell, the server operator himself is a Linux chad, how does he deal with this when compatibility layers like Lutris and Wine have an infamously hard time with the newer IE versions?

Anyways, I'm getting unnecessarily angry. I'll blame Oranges, even though he likely had nothing to do with TGUI. Fuck that guy. I really can't believe that it's TG of all things that is forcing me from the one multiplayer tactical teamplay game that works on pre-2013 hardware (though if more TG stuff gets ported it sure as shit won't remain that way). The UI not working along with the horrendous clientside lag that occurs when rendering sprites, a problem that just so happened to appear just after TGchat was ported, make this just not functional. Like, fuck, my game freezes whenever more than two marines are firing their weapons simultaneously on screen because it starts chugging every single time a muzzleflash sprite appears. It fucking hitches whenever someone says something over comms because, for some reason, it has great difficulty loading in that little 32x32 headset icon next to the text. I didn't have any noticeable clientside lag before. Anyways, once again, I appreciate the answer, and I'll have to relay this to DarkSovet who's having the same issue.