Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RexVee - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal InformationByond ID?
    Rxv995

Player Name You Use Most?
    Lena 'Swan' Lebedeva / Nicole 'Shrike' Vonel

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    N/A

Have you received any bans in the last month?
    No

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC-05

What is your discord username and handle?
    Rxv_#6183

Basic Questions & StoryWhat do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The highlight of the CO's job is in the name, commanding. You are the ultimate authority by default aboard the station, and all personnel aboard operation-start answer to you.
    However, you are not condemned to the CIC. It is your default position, but the CO actually has other responsibilities that don't just make him XO+. Typically you will find yourself involved with the MPs and marine law, as you are the ultimate authority aside from literally the law, aboard the station. This is evidenced by the CO's unique and personal responsibility, battlefield executions and pardons. You are the ultimate entity legally standing between death and prison for personnel.

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    I believe it's the final step to optimizing being in command, for me. I hope the new rank, equipment, and qualifications can earn me a more respected position among the crew and marines.

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    Lena 'Swan' Lebedeva earned her officer rank following her training after her twenty-fifth deployment. Thanks to her demonstrated tactical skill in combat, Lebedeva was offered a position as an ensign in the USCM. Accepting, she spent a short while proving her worth. Showing great promise, she qualified for lieutenant as a Staff Officer in the USCM. After numerous operations and demonstrating a remarkable efficiency in commanding personnel and strategy, she was offered her training as Executive Officer. Upon completing her training, Lebedeva went through another fifteen operations demonstrating remarkable skill in her position before applying for and being provided the opportunity to qualify as a Commanding Officer, without question succeeding thanks to her friendships developed with command personnel during her service.

Lebedeva's time as an Ensign was short, given the guidance of her superiors and easy-going attitude. By comparison, her time as a Lieutenant made up the majority of her time in service. It is there that she demonstrated most of her prowess in command and particularly with tactical awareness. Upon reaching O3, Lieutenant Commander, Lebedeva actually had to assume command of the operations she was involved in due to absence or inability of her commander. Due to this, she only served the minimum time required before her promotion as she made it quite evident she was qualified for O4, Commander. Her service as a Commander was quite long, mostly due to her refusal of a promotion. Though it only ever really amounted to rumors, she would outright refuse and deny the idea of promotion due to an unusual reverence of her superiors, believing herself to not yet have earned the rank. However, after numerous operations and encouragement from friends in the corps, she gave into the idea and accepted the idea of attempting a promotion, eventually earning O5, Captain.

Lebedeva's seventh operation as a Commanding Officer, Operation "Famous Walk," stands as her most remarkable operation to date. Most noteworthy was her application of orbital bombardment ordnance to crush CLF resistance in a feigned retreat. After the discovery of major CLF elements and dispatching of the USCM, Lebedeva coordinated an assault on the CLF elements. Employing liberal use of USCM artillery elements, Lebedeva's forces exposed the CLF elements and forced a desperate retaliatory assault that proved too strong for USCM elements to resist. Lebedeva's choice was to feign a retreat, exposing CLF elements to incredibly devastating USCM ordnance and securing a successful operation.

ExperienceHow familiar are you with command positions?
    Quite, with 35.9 hours in SO, 64.1 in XO, 4.2 in MW, and 4.5 in CE.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    ~65hrs.

How familiar are you with Department Head positions?
    Aside from 4.5hrs as CE, I've not enjoyed head roleas excluding the XO, but I've had plenty of experience in the departments themselves, notably as a skilled engineer. I've also indirectly been an RO more than once due to lowpop hours and the demand to have Req filled out while I played XO.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure?
    With 4.2 hours in MW, 11.2 hours in MP, 35.9 in SO, and 64.1 in XO, I've seen my fair share.
    I still actively review ML and SOP on the wiki to keep myself up-to-date. My time in CIC is not my only time as XO and SO, I have found myself involved with the ML even then.

ScenariosWhen do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used?
    Ideally? Never.
    In reality? I'll provide some scenarios in which this is applicable.

Scenario 1: A mutiny is being staged, not only during or after a physical attack, but even before on conspirators if you discover them beforehand. Not only is this essentially self-defense, it is a legitimate threat to the operation.

Scenario 2: Someone actively sabotages groundside operations, risking marine lives. This is grounds for a BE as to secure the safety of the operation.

Scenario 3: A marine groundside attempts to overrule any CIC authority, leading marines independently. Sure, this could be done with a remarkably positive effect, but the BE is to be done beforehand to ascertain the safety of the operation. Regardless of the outcome it is best to assure there is no risk.

Scenario 4: The CE is a victim of murder and the killer is sure to target more personnel. Only if caught by the CO first and non-lethals prove ineffective, a BE is applicable, especially if the CO's life and others are actively in danger.

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner?
    There are only a very limited few options in which a pardon is applicable, and a large amount of responsibility is placed upon the CO if they choose to pardon a prisoner.
    Typically these situations will only occur for instances where the crime(s) committed were/are justified provided they are not capital crimes. There are more situations in which a pardon CAN be done, but it probably isn't a good idea depending on the person you're pardoning.

ConfirmationsDo you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of your answers need more weight behind them, more substance. You could get into further detail on pardons, because that's a very powerful thing the captain can do, even if most don't use it too often. You say you have 64 hours as XO which is believable, but I have never seen either of the characters you put as your character name, though that may just be timezone differences.

As for your story, it is just promotion after promotion, which is how it works, except you didn't tell us a story, you just told us you got promoted and you were a really great leader and stuff. For your story, you need to actually write down a story, where your character does stuff. For example, in my story, I was a ship commander and our engines were failing so we evacuated to the closest planet, where we then encountered UPP forces. We struck an uneasy alliance with them due to our situation. Xenomorphs attacked us, and we worked together to repel them. Then the UPP reinforcements arrived and picked them up, and instead of just blasting us, they let us go, and then our reinforcements arrived and we got out of there. The story was written on google docs for formatting purposes, which I suggest you do as well for a new story.

I suggest you withdraw this application, and then ask for help on the Colonial marines discord. There's a bunch of people there who will help you write your story, and help with the questions on the application itself. Some other advice is to look at accepted/denied apps and see exactly what got them accepted or denied, and what you can do differently from that person so you don't get denied. Just don't plagiarize.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of you. What's your SL hours? Also you haven't actually made any pardon examples. You really should make some examples. Before the MP mains rage

Cause ive never seen you in game I'll just ask a tonne.

What's your round start routine as XO?

Standard briefing, Solaris ridge.

What are some things you do as SO that you think are good? Give general examples to what's a good play style, as well as specific scenarios that has happened during an actual round.

As XO, what's a round where you lost? Explain how you could've done other things better to improve the marine chances.

JTAC fucks up, CAS kills 8 marines and gibbing a few more on top of that when they fire on a marking flare thats been burning for a while on the frontline. Both xenos and marines have been around the flare at different points of the battle. The majority of the 8 marines are not recoverable and will perma. Marines are out for blood and some are threatening on radio to kill PO. One of them even tries to punch the PO one or two times, and the PO shoots him dead with his side-arm. Before all this, the PO and a spotter has done decent, killing a t3 and 5-ish t2s and t1s combined. PO says it was the marines fault. Fob is now under siege due to the casualties. What do you do?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been assured that your a competent Commander, and having 65 hours solidifies that. The application itself needs more substance though - Fortelian basically sums it up perfectly. We don't want you to write an essay, but effort would be appreciated.

-1 for now, might change later
    Chaotic puppet-master from hell

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the story is very weak and could use some more on it. remind me a bit of thedexfile whose story is just being promoted to become a CO which is also good.
    but your story doesn't really tell much of a story and more like an extra you'd see at the end of a job application.
    your hours seem promising but you might wanna withdraw this one and try again later with a more detailed app.

Best of Luck Commander!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I previously mentioned to others (and the applicant) that I would not be giving my thoughts here due to having helped them on their application. Thus, my opinion may, and probably is, biased to some capacity. However, I do wish to make my thoughts on this app, and ongoing thought process, known.

Lena/Nicole is a name I see VERY frequently in CiC as both a XO and, less often, SO. There were days where I got home from work and went to play CM, and every operation had Lena as an XO, up until I went back to bed in the evening. Needless to say, I'm rather baffled how NOBODY here appears to have taken note of them. It's not that they're picky about which COs they serve under either. They usually roll XO roundstart, so it's random chance who will be their CO. How none of the other COs have taken note of her massively grinded XO hours, I have no idea, but it certainly seems odd to me. Rest assured, she has the mechanical skill and game sense required for the Whitelist.

Furthermore, I would like to mention the answers on the app itself. While the pardon answers may be a bit short, the BE ones certainly are not. The story, as well, may not tell a engaging story, but it's not necessarily meant to either. We've time and again freely waived through applicants with FAR less contents in their CO Stories, and I find it a bit insulting to tell RexVee to outright withdraw this application due to the story alone. The Story tells us their promotion history (meaning they understand how military ranks and Enlisted vs Commissioned works) and shows off their flawless understanding of the english language and grammar. Those two things, Rank knowledge and Grammar, are the things the CO Story is for. Unlike with Synths and Preds, the story is not, and I dont think ever has been, meant for developing a serious, deep character. You CAN do that, of course, but one of our recent applicants literally had themselves OB a Orphanage as part of an ongoing OOC joke about their character and nickname. How *that* is acceptable, but *this* is not, I do not know.

The Story is fine, and provides insight of everything we reasonably need to know about the applicant. Besides, COs can freely switch in-game characters anyway, so it's not like it would matter if they made a cool, epic novel about Lena Lebedeva, only to then join the round as Nicole. This app is fine in my book, and I'm sure the applicant can iron out the rough edges by answering any questions asked which the original answers may have left open.

Consider this a +1 from me.
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Mentor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To ZAB1019, at least. I'm still not too familiar with this forum!

As for my SL hours, 7.4 hours. I don't roll it that often, but I'm getting back into it. I was so infatuated with RTO I basically dropped playing SL.

For pardon examples?
    An instance in which the SL would cuff a marine conspiring to commit murder by using their prep-vended zip cuffs technically falls under illegal confinement, and the SL is capable of being arrested for this. However, given proof that it was simply to protect others and to secure the criminal and bring them to the MPs? That's worth a pardon in my opinion.
    As well, an instance in which an ordnance tech uses one of their explosives to blow open a wall to help MPs breach a hostage situation can be considered destruction of government property. However, I would consider it worth pardoning as it was done in good will and was to help assure the swift and safe recovery of this hypothetical hostage.
    By contrast, an instance in which a marine shoots and kills a maintenance technician who was approaching them with a knife and attempting to stab them is not acceptable to pardon. This is legitimately murder and therefore a capital crime, which cannot be pardoned. Self defense ends when the assailant is neutralized or incapacitated, not dead.

My Solaris Ridge pattern usually is to immediately greet command and take off half of my stuff and put it in the locker, I dress very uniquely as an XO. While I find out if we have a commanding officer, I'll go to the SO's lockers and grab a pair of boots. By that time I should've found out if we have a CO and if they want to lead, and I'm already on my way up to CIC. I grab a medical belt from the lower table. If we have a CO and they chose to lead, I'll simply go about getting my clothing of choice and return to support the CO. If we have a CO but they choose not to lead, I go to the CIC bubble and choose a drop zone, most of the time being the Alamo and especially on Solaris. I'll make an announcement to the marines on the shipside computer, saying when the briefing is and the tech plan. Then, I'll get tech if I can, usually plates first and mediCZSP at 12:15. Briefing is almost always 12:18 in the hangar, with drop scheduled for 12:22. At this point, next step in getting my clothes is going to the brig and accessing their clothing vendor. I'll get some gloves, take a beret from their locker, and vend the ceremonial sword. I'll return it to CIC, and then immediately go down to set the OB and AA if it is not being set by someone else. If there is no CO, I grab tools from engineering and quickly find my way to the CO's office. I'll hack open the door and grab their tablet, quickly sealing the door back and leaving my tools in CIC (that or I ask the CE or a synth to do it for me). Around this time it's 12:10 or so, and I'll announce briefing again for people that woke up late. At this point I go down to medical and grab additional medical supplies, namely a defib and the medical HUD from a vendor. At this point it should nearly be 12:15, so I'll get the mediCZSP. In these final moments left before briefing, I'll quickly go to req or a squad prep and grab a sidearm pouch and large mag pouch, since I don't have a belt slot to keep a weapon on me. I arrive for briefing at 12:17, no later, and get on top of the cargo crane. I'll grab the megaphone (which I usually get way beforehand on my way to medical) and greet the marines. At this point, I'll ask the CO to announce briefing one final time or I'll announce it myself via the tablet I likely have. I'll quickly check the manifest to determine squad composition while I greet the marines and provide an RP speech about where we're deploying and what it's like. Finally, it's time for the actual plans. Provided all squads are in a reasonable composition, Bravo is to be FOB, situationally with their SL or RTO asked to have their tools to assist in the FOB's creation. On high pop hours, I may attempt a unique strategy involving breaching TComms caves and storming ETA via virology caves, but we'll go with the idea it's low pop hours. The default and safe strategy is a deathball of all squads rushing Filtration. Finally, all marines are dismissed, and the operation begins.

As an SO, I took great pride initially in the realization that I kind of own the squad. Most of my XO/COs who were above me never had the micromanaging skill nor motivation to put in the effort to attempt commanding all squads to such a fine degree. The XO/CO gave the orders as to what they wanted done and when, it was my job to make sure the marines know to do it, when to do it, and for me to manage the risks they were facing. Worst case, I just commented on where their dead were. Best case, I was a squad-sized XO, as I had to coordinate their movements. I know at this rate I'm just repeating myself, but the XO/CO typically get the big picture, while I as the SO have the details, trying to work the marines into the big picture.

An XO op that I lost is the first one I was told about OOC that someone was angry about. Low pop hours, I was trying my newer off-meta strategies by ordering marines to take unusual and different approaches, often split very badly. The first and easiest solution is to group up the marines better, which can be understood in a more detailed manner as how to compose your frontline. The second solution is to take a different, less risky approach, especially one that marines are regrettably familiar with. Finally, the best solution to minimize risk is to have a strong requisitions team and to enforce a mentality that marines should get coordinates. The bystander effect is a real curse in these ops, so many people just don't choose to laze targets or locations.

All of the work for the hypothetical CAS and PO you've presented is unnecessary information. It's best to acknowledge your facts here. CAS has killed marines, and committed murder in self-defense. The solution is to replace the PO with another or begin remoting their dropship from CIC. The PO is to serve time for a capital crime and face the punishments that follow it. The marine who assaulted the PO is not justified and will receive punishment for assault. However, this is in an ideal world where the FOB is not under assault. If things calm down and time permits, the PO and involved marines will find time in the brig. But considering the way things would go, you may not even have time to radio to the PO to come back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything is alright, except the XO/SO answers. I kinda asked for specific examples and saying what actually happened in the round(s). Saying vague general ideas at the strategic level of 'Group marines better, req better ect.' is a bit of a no brainer to have a better shot of winning. Saying that making the frontline be better is obviously gonna help. But as a leadership position I want actual examples on how you can do that mid round, times where things didn't work out, and reflection on how you could've actually practically did it. Or remember that experience and prepare for it next round.
    I was hoping for an example specifically for your Solaris ridge orders. Marines either die or win at filt or bar usually. Having marines flank from filt podlocks or Atmos is a common example, and would be a good example of you planning ahead from experience from being in a chokepoint hellhole and planning around it for the next round. To flank bar you can go south of admin ect. Like your XO lost round. I wanna hear what actually happened. Sometimes marines just lose and it's not your fault, but orders can still sway who's gonna win when it's close.

I think you're too strategic while not having enough tactical, and I think the CIC experience might be telling of that. You can play SL or deployed SO/XO for that tactical stuff.

Alright, so. LV West caves chokepoint at inflatable fort. It's a hellchoke and it ain't working for the marines. Hive is confirmed max NW caves near lake entrance. What are 4 actions the marines can do to shake it up a bit for their favour in this scenario? It's a 1+ from me if you can get it.

Mentor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's sometimes difficult to actually make truly tactical decisions in CIC as your understanding of the battle is limited to a tac map, squad radios, a squad monitor, and helmet cameras. However, my approach to a situation like that would either be to fall back to a significantly more defendable position or to get really good supportive ordnance. Marines can break stalemates and sieges with pure tenacity alone, but it's a rarity from the amount of time I've played. I'll often either bank on getting an OB that allows ground to be made or takes a load off defenses. Marines won't win a battle sitting in the FOB and getting picked off, either, so I have to know when and how to coordinate and push them out. It's an uncommon occurrence and I'm still learning about it in practice, but when marines have suffered great losses groundside that a push outward is unsustainable, it's better to call evac and hope you have enough marines to win shipside. Due to how infrequent this event is and how marines will often swear that they can win this I don't fully understand it yet, but I'm learning.

As of how to properly handle a tactical situation like that without my use of ordnance, a flank is often a go-to strategy but is terribly risky. Xenos have extreme amounts of health and are excellent at defending chokepoints, so the better strategy is to open the chokepoint, for instance with C4. It's just too bad only a few marines ever feel like carrying it, let alone survive long enough to use it well.

What really happened on that lost XO op that people actually got OOC angry with me for - from my perspective - is that it was really low pop hours and only a few marines listened to my bold strategy. I'll often choose to split Delta off from Alpha and Charlie, because Delta is often the biggest squad, making them an actually okay fighting force. However, only a few if barely any Delta marines actually chose to follow through with my plan, and the xenos were too powerful for the poor numbers and defense Delta had in ETA/Viro caves. The best plan, from there, would have been to completely call of the Delta push and return them to the main front, as it would have been hell to convince the marines that weren't even listening to me to join their squad in a risky position.

I've actually played plenty of deployed XO/SO, but they don't exactly count hours for that. I truly enjoy it, though, and especially working with CIC actively because as a deployed XO/SO, CIC is my "squad." I can provide incredible awareness for them because I am down there with the goal of understanding the situation as command, not being marine+ shooting xenos with my unique CIC guns. I just never seem to have a CO that often, so I cannot deploy by SOP, and I don't play SO that often anymore.

In your LV scenario, I have four options in mind!
    1. Marines simply call an OB. That's a tried and true strategy.
    2. Marines abandon the fort push and instead cut directly up through central caves, into lake, then finally into NW caves. This risks cutting them off, but the xenos will have no other choice than to retreat to defend their hive. The solution to this is engineers with able material resources and skilled placement, meaning a sustainable hold and push from lake into NW caves is questionably viable.
    3. Provided most if not all xenos excluding hive-oriented ones are near the fort, a large flank push from central into central-western caves means we can cut them off and crush them.
    4. Abandon the choke and acquire a new one. If it simply isn't working, why risk sustaining it and losing more men gradually? The least risky option is to concede, lose ground, but secure a better chance at gaining ground. LV-624 has a few marine-favored defenses, including in my opinion the sand temple, cargo/storage north of LZ1, central-east nexus, cargo containers north east of hydro, or research/robotics near LZ2. The best option is probably this fourth option, namely at containers north of hydro. This minimizes ground lost and secures a strong defense for the marines, provided engineers do their job and marines don't go chimp mode. Better still, we're still in a good position to stage an assault north west to our primary goal, their hive! An unrelated rant, but marines often do not focus properly on their objectives. As long as marines can focus on killing the hive, queen, and anything in the way between them and those two objectives, they're sure to make great progress. I find too many marines treat it like a deathmatch and lose themselves in combat in an area that would not gain them anything.

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I talked to you for a while a while back and based on that conversation alone, I believe I said your app is a +1 from me.

I've seen you play MP enough to know that you will not have issues in that regard.

I've also seen you play XO enough to know you can deal with leading an operation and understand how the game works.

Your application is what I'd call succinct, but honestly, it has everything that to my knowledge is needed and honestly personally that's enough for me, possibly because I've actually seen you play.

Your read on both Pardons and BEs cuts to what they are supposed to be and the answers are good. I don't see the need to go into detail in abstracts, especially since, again, I've seen you handle things right in game.

I'd suggest keep playing more XO while this app is up to turn some heads around.

And yes, this is still a definite +1 from me, I think the WL needs more players like you.
    Senior Administrator