User Tag List

Thread: Crashed station gamemode

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crashed station gamemode

Some kind of mechanical malfunction, sabotage, or even another vessel has sent the station plummeting towards a nearby planet. The cyro pods open, and the marines have a limited time to prep before the station crashes, destroying most/all of the critical systems and probably scattering important parts/ equipment. Now the marines must defend the station until they are all dead, all the beans are slain, or the marines escape.
    Possible means of escape include:
    Repairing Tcomms and sending a distress beacon
    Fixing engine and/or reactor and/or astronav and/or fuel pumps (number of things broken could depend on population)
    Repairing and refitting dropship or lifeboat
    The CL has a secret high-tech fax machine, but a chuck of spaceship flew off containing the CL's office and is somewhere on the planet

The map should include a way for Xenos to enter the 2nd floor of the almayer, so maybe an exsisting structure, or a think jungle canopy, or both.

The station doesnt have to be the Almayer, for this project it might be better to make a new station altogether. A new station would make it easy to design both new gameplay elements, and a way to prep marines quickly. Additionally, this switch would eliminate the complication of the Almayer's two stories. Maybe I'll be motivated to sketch a few ideas up.
    Last edited by quizmar; 07-01-2021 at 07:33 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds fun, might end up like W.O. though

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TGMC had something incredibly similar to this, but they got rid of it due to a higher average population on the server. It was incredibly fun, but doesn't work with more than 20 people.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah TGMC has something extremely similar to this. But they have a new ship, that is like 1.5x the size of the alamo that marines wake up and gear in. With no req. Then they get a pin pointer to 3 seperate consoles that they have to activate across the map, and interact with them for a few minutes. Once they do all three they can find a nuke, use the code from all 3 consoles and have to wait out the nuke blowing up to kill the xeno threat. Then they escape.

However during the entire time they can simply just flee, and its not uncommon for xenos to sneak aboard when someone leaves the plasteel door open and decapitates your only doctor, so no one gets revived, its pretty funny honestly. Theres a fuckton of layers of defences and turrets though. Xenos also infinitely spawn, and are at a default disadvantage numbers wise, unless they drag 2 corpses into resin silos. Which are impossible for marines to get rid off and have a barrier to protect em. 2 corpses (xeno or marine) means they get a larva. But they still have a guaranteed amount of xenos that is marine favoured. I think it works in TGMC because their gameplay is just different. Capturing and hugging is pretty much non-existent in TGMC, one because its actually really hard to stun marines in it, and two because they don't have perma nesting, combined with their low pop, you will need like 1/3 of your hive defending a cap for 10 minutes. OR you can just kill that marine, kill another marine, bring them both to a silo and boom you have another larva.

Right now typical survival events in CM, WO or custom made, are basically marines holding out as long as they can. With xenos having admin spawning infinite numbers and stronger ones over time. I think it could be done okay in CM. But xenos would need something like the resin silo mechanic, otherwise infinite spawning just makes it TDM. I guess you can have infinite spawning, but I don't like it. Having xenos just swarm cades to slash a marine/cade 2-3 times, which compounds over time and thats how you win? I dont like that sort of game play loop.

I much prefer CM for proper rounds, but TGMC has lowpop covered. CM would need to change fundamentally for a crashed game mode to work, otherwise its literally just 'survive until an admin says you win lol'. TGMC also gives xenos an actual reason to kill marines, if you get 2 you get a larva, and if you recover dead xenos you also get larva. CM currently doesnt have a reason for taking xeno corpses at all. rant over.

Also imagine if the almayer had RNG nightmare modes so random pieces were strung about, some were collapsed and rubble, or even entirely missing, while sometimes the higher floor crashed down into the 1st floor, becoming the layer you stand on. That would be cool. Boom! The hanger sunk into the dirt, now the CIC is on the 1st level, and would be connected to medbay lower. But half of the briefing room is missing and the CL office is in the middle there now! Kinda pog but probably aids to develop.

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZAB1019 View Post
    Yeah TGMC has something extremely similar to this. But they have a new ship, that is like 1.5x the size of the alamo that marines wake up and gear in. With no req. Then they get a pin pointer to 3 seperate consoles that they have to activate across the map, and interact with them for a few minutes. Once they do all three they can find a nuke, use the code from all 3 consoles and have to wait out the nuke blowing up to kill the xeno threat. Then they escape.

However during the entire time they can simply just flee, and its not uncommon for xenos to sneak aboard when someone leaves the plasteel door open and decapitates your only doctor, so no one gets revived, its pretty funny honestly. Theres a fuckton of layers of defences and turrets though. Xenos also infinitely spawn, and are at a default disadvantage numbers wise, unless they drag 2 corpses into resin silos. Which are impossible for marines to get rid off and have a barrier to protect em. 2 corpses (xeno or marine) means they get a larva. But they still have a guaranteed amount of xenos that is marine favoured. I think it works in TGMC because their gameplay is just different. Capturing and hugging is pretty much non-existent in TGMC, one because its actually really hard to stun marines in it, and two because they don't have perma nesting, combined with their low pop, you will need like 1/3 of your hive defending a cap for 10 minutes. OR you can just kill that marine, kill another marine, bring them both to a silo and boom you have another larva.

Right now typical survival events in CM, WO or custom made, are basically marines holding out as long as they can. With xenos having admin spawning infinite numbers and stronger ones over time. I think it could be done okay in CM. But xenos would need something like the resin silo mechanic, otherwise infinite spawning just makes it TDM. I guess you can have infinite spawning, but I don't like it. Having xenos just swarm cades to slash a marine/cade 2-3 times, which compounds over time and thats how you win? I dont like that sort of game play loop.

I much prefer CM for proper rounds, but TGMC has lowpop covered. CM would need to change fundamentally for a crashed game mode to work, otherwise its literally just 'survive until an admin says you win lol'. TGMC also gives xenos an actual reason to kill marines, if you get 2 you get a larva, and if you recover dead xenos you also get larva. CM currently doesnt have a reason for taking xeno corpses at all. rant over.

Also imagine if the almayer had RNG nightmare modes so random pieces were strung about, some were collapsed and rubble, or even entirely missing, while sometimes the higher floor crashed down into the 1st floor, becoming the layer you stand on. That would be cool. Boom! The hanger sunk into the dirt, now the CIC is on the 1st level, and would be connected to medbay lower. But half of the briefing room is missing and the CL office is in the middle there now! Kinda pog but probably aids to develop.
    My classic argument for why CM should never adopt TGMC original concepts is because if someone wants CM to become TGMC, they can go to TGMC.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's just built different. But it's like console controllers, people are copying each other because it just works. There's being different and being ignorant to something better than the current. WO is hated because its in CM's set, but its enjoyed in TGMC's set. It's the little things that make it fun.