Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P0tat0 - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal InformationByond ID?
    P0tat0

Player Name You Use Most?
    Anders Brightwood

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    //showthrea...er-Application | CO Application - Denied

//showthrea...er-Application | CO Application - Denied

//showthrea...er-Application | CO Application - Withdrawn

Have you received any bans in the last month?
    No

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC +08

What is your discord username and handle?
    FrenchFries#7131

Basic Questions & StoryWhat do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The Commander has the responsibility of being the face of the United States Colonial Marine Corps, both in and out of combat. They are tasked with representing and upholding the interests of the USCM and the United Americas government, whether facing other factions diplomatically such as negotiations with Weyland-Yutani or handling internal matters within their respective jurisdictions such as solving internal crises between departments or sometimes even the marines themselves. The Commander also has the responsibility of being the "tip of the spear" that leads the marines to achieve a victory for the USCM, issuing orders and ensuring that all decisions are to benefit the ongoing operation at hand towards the USCM's favor.

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    I have had the position of Commanding Officer in my sights for quite some time now, despite my previous applications, because it is the natural advancement for being an Executive Officer, IC-ly speaking. Although the Executive Officer is quite entertaining, the XO typically focuses on the operational side of things, dealing in shipside issues when a Captain/Commodore is not present or if I requested permission for it. I also find the position of Captain a bit more enticing due to the stories of past Captains pulling off either the wackiest of strategies or the most stalwart of defenses, not to mention the responsibilities and privileges given to Whitelisted Captains. Plus they also get to participate in some pretty neat RP events. I understand that I cannot be as good or as quirky as the Captains of yore, but I try to make my character stand out in the appropriate circumstances.

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    Inside one of the administrative offices sitting within the armored confines of the Herculis, Chinook GSO 91 Station, a dark figure types in front of a computer in the dark room.
    The figure then glances to the side, looking at an image of a young man and woman, both dressed in wedding garbs, then promptly smiles before returning back on the task on hand.

Meanwhile, on the upper levels of the station, inside the office marked "Office of the Head of Operations" sits a man, a Rear Admiral to be exact. He reviews the paperwork in front of him.
    In it contains a transfer request for a combat posting, alongside affiliated documents, namely a folder containing the details and history of a certain "Captain Anders Brightwood".

Giving off a tired sigh, the Rear Admiral opens the folder, examining its contents. Skimming the page dedicated to personal information and conduct, he comes upon Captain Brightwood's
    enlisted and commissioned service history, in it read:
    "Anders Brightwood enlisted within the United States Colonial Marines on 08/17/2182 on the age of 18 as a Marine Reservist, reportedly due to "financial difficulties" according to
    the Recruiting Officer, Lieutenant [REDACTED]. However, due to the shortage of manpower, he was assigned to the 3rd Fleet, 4th Colonial Marine Division, 4th Colonial Marine Brigade,
    353rd "Fearsome Mambas" Battalion, 1st Platoon, Alpha Squad as a Private First Class. The 353rd was in charge of securing the civilian population of the colony of Mormon's Ridge from the
    presence of Colonial Liberation Front terrorists, of which the 353rd suffered heavy casualties due to the nature of the fighting. PFC Brightwood served for 18 months before he was
    rotated out of the colony to the 2nd Platoon of the 353rd, reserved for shipside and headquarters and FOB defense and combat support. It was during this time that PFC Brightwood served with
    distinction, being one of the few marines that repelled a CLF assault on one of their Forward Operating Bases during the Thanksgiving Holidays of 2184. For Brightwood's actions in actively
    leading the defense of the FOB, he was awarded a Distinguished Service Cross and given a promotion to Corporal and given Squad Radio Telephone Operator training. The 353rd was transferred
    off-system to the colony of Bartolemy two months after the CLF assaults on them, being replaced by [REDACTED] Battalion. CPL Brightwood rose to the rank of Sergeant then eventually Staff
    Sergeant for his experience, despite his age, and leadership capacity. Since the 353rd's posting at Bartolemy, they have encountered minor CLF presence in the area, with Staff Sergeant
    Brightwood displaying leadership, courage and skill befitting a Squad Leader of the United States Colonial Marines. It was at this time that CPT [REDACTED] recommended SSGT Brightwood for
    the Marine Officer Training Course, citing the displays of leadership, courage and skill. He graduated the Marine Officer Training Course and commissioned as a Lieutenant on 03/27/2186.

LT Brightwood was stationed at the 3rd Fleet, 4th Colonial Marine Division, 4th Colonial Marine Brigade, 22nd Battalion aboard the USS Arbiter under the command of CPT Ryan Merden-Lauffer
    (not related to ADM G. Lauffer), tasked with patrolling a major cargo route between Herculis and Hephaestus. His service on the 22nd Battalion has not been noteworthy,
    serving as a Lieutenant for 2 and a half years before being promoted to the rank of Commander. CDR Brightwood was then assigned to the 3rd Fleet, 4th Colonial Marine Division,
    4th Colonial Marine Brigade, 58th "Thundering Lions" Battalion" aboard the USS Maelstorm under the command of CDRE Isabela Polerov. The 58th was assigned with patrolling a minor cargo route
    between Herculis and [REDACTED]. On 07/24/2189, during a routine cargo check for one of the passing vessels, the USS Maelstorm was fired upon by the vessel they were checking upon,
    dealing significant damage to the Combat Information Center, Medical Bay, Hangar and Cryogenic Dormitory. CDRE Polerov was knocked out during the engagement, leaving CDR Brightwood
    to take charge of the situation. After a brutal missile engagement and a brief ship boarding maneuver by the hostile vessel, the USS Maelstorm eventually came up victorious, capturing
    multiple CLF-aligned pirate officers, at the cost of significant damages but minimal crew casualties due to CDR Brightwood's decision to convert the ship's Requisitions Bay
    and Briefing Hall as makeshift Medical Bays. Due to CDR Brightwood's actions that day, he was granted the rank of Captain on 12/29/2189. Due to a lack of available combat postings however,
    CPT Brightwood is currently assigned to the Office of Internal Affairs under RADM Allan Peter Dubix."

The Rear Admiral raises a brow, then proceeds to examine his security and medical records, both of which are free of any issues and discrepancies. The Rear Admiral then faces the computer
    and begins typing something on it.

-TWO DAYS LATER-

In the same dark room, the lone figure sits alone, clearly typing something on screen when the door suddenly opens, revealing a young Lieutenant.

"Captain Brightwood, sir?" the Lieutenant asks.

The figure, revealing himself to be CPT Brightwood replies, "I'm here. What is it Lieutenant?"

"Documents from the Operations Department, sir." the Lieutenant sharply replies and gives a brisk salute, to which the Captain returns in kind.

"Ah, I see. You are dismissed." the Lieutenant nods and promptly leaves.

Turning on his lamp, he reads the contents of the documents, smiles and starts packing up his files.

A line of the document read: "You are hereby being transferred to the 44th "Falling Falcons" Battalion on order of RADM Richard Ibix. You are to report to your new posting within the next
    two weeks."

ExperienceHow familiar are you with command positions?
    I have played as a Squad Leader for most of my time in the CM13 server, switching up to XO when I get bored of groundside combat. I can confidently say that I can call out CAS, Mortar and OB to good effect and know when to move forward and when to back up to the nearest cadeline, and that I sometimes have to write in caps just to get the attention of CIC when a flank is happening.

As for the SO, I have played it for a few times, mostly to get a feel for CIC duties, but oftentimes I end up coordinating the marines and the Almayer Departments, making sure they don't split up and die, and getting Req to drop supplies on the nearest frontline depot.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    I have 43.3 hours playing as an Executive Officer as of this application, although I have been playing XO countless times for the duration of 2019 and 2020, all of which are unfortunately unrecorded due to the lack of the View Playtime function back then.

How familiar are you with Department Head positions?
    The Chief of Military Police is in charge of coordinating his or her MPs in implementing Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedures and keeping them in line. I have played CMP a good number of times in the past that I can, unfortunately, say that the CMP is an absolute headache to play, regardless if you have good intentions or not.

The Chief Medical Officer is in charge of coordinating Research, Medbay, and affiliated medical assets, like squad medics. I have played CMO for a short while, it is not that dissimilar to being a Doctor, aside from the additional responsibilities and restrictions.

The Chief Engineer is responsible for the coordination of the maintenance of the ship between his or her Maintenance Technicians, and to an extent, the production of custom explosives by the Ordnance Technicians.

The Requisitions Officer is in charge of coordinating logistics to ensure a steady supply of materials and supplies to the marines on the ground. I am very familiar with the position of RO, so much so that I can confidently say that I can run Requisitions alone on high pop.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure?
    I have a good grasp of Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure, although there are some edge cases that I find some confusion in. I could say I could get by most rounds with my current understanding of Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure.

ScenariosWhen do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used?
    The only instances wherein Battlefield Execution should be used is in cases where the Military Police is unable to respond in a timely manner, either because they are busy dealing with something else or there are no MPs awake, to deal with an immediate threat to either my command, the personnel around me or the entire operation in general.

Personally, I believe that BE's should be used as a last resort, as with most Whitelisted Captains here, and for good reason, it has the ability to permanently remove players from a round, hindering their fun, and also that the Military Police has something else to do other than processing survivors and getting bullied by the local marine population. But if push comes to shove, I won't hesitate to plant a bullet in the offender's head, as the Commissar from Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 1 put it: "If you will not serve in combat, then you will serve on the firing line!"

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner?
    The only circumstances that it is legal to pardon prisoners would be:

1. Are they critical to the operation at this time?

2. Are they acting in good behavior and in good faith throughout the round?

3. Is the crime a result of being an accident/misunderstanding rather than being of the prisoner's own volition?

*In that regard, here are crimes that I would be likely to pardon:
    - Failure to Follow Procedure
    - Damage to Government Property
    - Trespassing
    - Disorderly Conduct
    *NOTE: Although the question requires me to list crimes I would pardon, realistically, I would be more likely to lower the punishments for NJP, or
    for the case of Disorderly Conduct, Hooliganism, IF the situation presents itself to be that way. All this would depend on the situation, as no
    two situations are ever truly the same.

As for crimes that I would NOT pardon:
    - Capital Crimes (For obvious reasons, unless the situation demands it and High Command approves of it, which I doubt)
    - Sexual Harassment
    - Illegal Confinement
    - Assault With A Deadly Weapon

ConfirmationsDo you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Literally never heard of you or your character until now. What's your timezone? When do you usually play?
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UTC +08, somewhere around the Asia-Pacific Region, so by the time most of the pops play, I'm either asleep or doing college work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That might explain it, since I‘m UTC +1. I‘ll hold off on a vote until I can see you on XO on the weekends or something.
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I share timezones and have seen you a few times. Nothing really struck me all that much when youre XO that I could have a reliable opinion on a definite 1+. But I have seen you play SL at times, alpha main I think if I remember, and I think you're alright at SLing, but it was a while ago and my memory isn't the best. Being a good SL is underrated and it would take little to sway me, but I have to remain neutral for da time being. I don't care about story, but previous apps weren't exactly showing glowing reviews of it. I really like the way it's presented, not sure if it gives off enough personality of the character that some others may want. I think you might wanna add how they act, but I dunno, not like this is the synth WL.

Your Not pardonable charges are a little interesting, what if something is pardonable, and the illegal confinement or assault with a deadly weapon scenario is something that others might pardon. Are you ruling them out outright for RP, as your character is HRP and biased of people charged with those due to backstory ect.?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZAB1019 View Post
    I share timezones and have seen you a few times. Nothing really struck me all that much when youre XO that I could have a reliable opinion on a definite 1+. But I have seen you play SL at times, alpha main I think if I remember, and I think you're alright at SLing, but it was a while ago and my memory isn't the best. Being a good SL is underrated and it would take little to sway me, but I have to remain neutral for da time being. I don't care about story, but previous apps weren't exactly showing glowing reviews of it. I really like the way it's presented, not sure if it gives off enough personality of the character that some others may want. I think you might wanna add how they act, but I dunno, not like this is the synth WL.

Your Not pardonable charges are a little interesting, what if something is pardonable, and the illegal confinement or assault with a deadly weapon scenario is something that others might pardon. Are you ruling them out outright for RP, as your character is HRP and biased of people charged with those due to backstory ect.?
    Thanks for the feedback, here's my response:

Anders is generally a man of good morals, but if he sees that there is some valid point to an AWAD scenario (i.e. A threatening marine was shot by Marine A for trying to PB Marine B before the MP could see and intervene), he is amicable to the prospect of pardon (assuming they prove the intention of Marine A), assuming they also fit the circumstances I listed on "Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner?". As for the other two, those remain RP-based, as Anders doesn't see a good reason to release a kidnapper or a sexual harasser.

TL;DR: The not pardonable crimes are judged on an RP-standpoint but if they really are important to round progression and how the marines on the ground fare, and they are good players for the duration of the round (Or as far as the round has gotten), then a pardon MAY be in order. Although it is more likely that those will just get commuted to lower crimes/punishments or nothing changing at all.

Whitelisted Captain TyroneDadWhisperer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Anders, thanks for applying

I'd like to ask a quick question in regards to Off-Meta plans, if you try them at all.

What would you do that sets your round apart from a bog-standard LV Alpha-Charlie-Delta Hydro, Bravo FOB plan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TyroneDadWhisperer View Post
    Hello Anders, thanks for applying

I'd like to ask a quick question in regards to Off-Meta plans, if you try them at all.

What would you do that sets your round apart from a bog-standard LV Alpha-Charlie-Delta Hydro, Bravo FOB plan?
    Thanks for the question!

Anyway, as for off-meta plans, I try to think of some off-meta plans depending on how the squad population is on round-start, although for low-pop rounds, that isn't exactly a luxury given how rare you can get full squads (in terms of marine types).

As for my plan to set apart from the usual LV Alpha-Charlie-Delta Hydro, Bravo FOB plan:
    Orders are:

Alpha - Power; then go to EAST JUNGLE.
    Bravo - FOB (no surprises there)
    Charlie and Delta - EAST JUNGLE.

Hold in EAST JUNGLE, regardless whether there's a gap or not.
    Once FOG drops, push NORTH into SAND TEMPLE, then EAST CAVES. Hopefully we find the enemy, or the enemy finds us.

Plan is to by-pass any xeno defenses at Central Barrens and Table Fort, and head straight for their (possible) hive, in the fastest manner possible and making the shortest possible supply line.

Of course, this plan will fail if marines go to Hydro, spread out into Central Caves, fail to call out flanks, or worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been playing on and off for the last week or so and during my playtime have still not taken note of you. I made sure to check for who my XO was, no matter if I was playing CO or just some rando marine, but you were never one of them. Which is a bit sad.

I won't put this ill on you due to aforementioned timezone difference. Can't blame you for being SEA.

I thus asked friends and colleagues within and without the WL to comment on your performance, or if they knew you at all. The results I got are not stellar. You seem to give off the impression that you're very slow to react, both with announcements and orders, as well as to situations in general. You just don't seem to be coping well with changing currents of a round, and need too long to process and come up with a new plan. That's issue number 1.

Issue number 2 seems to be that you lack communication and understanding for those under your command. Apparently you ordered people more than once to "not deploy" as a synth or doctor when asked, and to instead stand in Medbay, despite Medbay having more than enough staff to function 100%. When said persons pointed this out, you ignored them until eventually you must have gotten annoyed with them or whatever, and allowed them to go.

Being CO is not only about being a capable strategist but also a knowledgable and communicative individual that understands the roles of all those under his command. Because if you don't know what a specific role can accomplish, then you can't put them to good use. Couple that with delayed or bad communication, and you have a recipe for annoyed subordinates at best and a mutiny at worst.

I'm going to -1 this based on what the impression I have been receiving about you. This is from 2nd sources, so anyone reading this, take it with somewhat of a grain of salt, I suppose.
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the app has been posted I haven't seen you play as XO once. After speaking to other players it seems to me that you aren't ready for CO yet. I recommend you continue playing XO for another month and work on your communication skills and learning to respond quicker to what is happening groundside. -1