Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: c4xmaniac - Synthetic Application

Synthetic Council Member Jakkkk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c4xmaniac View Post
    Yes that's pretty much it, he writes stylistically as a scribe from the 12th-13th century. I phrased it like that because medieval chroniclers didn't necessarily lie, but what they did write was often exaggerated. I tried to show that off in my story.
    Why would a synthetic do this?
    Synthetic Senator

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My reasoning was that the synthetic was originally built by someone who enjoyed the writing style, I'm a historian and I still find it endearing to read the chronicles, so I'd assume in 2182 someone would still feel the same. I apologize I didn't include that in the backstory. It also provides the practical benefit of writing down things that happened, whether it be to read the report to try and figure out what happened, or to make your subject matter look better which the style is explicitly trying to do.

Moderator & Synthetic Senator liltiptop's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you're a good player and you'd do well as a synth.
    My main concern is your quirk, while I think it's interesting, I'm wondering how you'll keep things fresh with it from round to round. Noting things on a piece of paper is fine, but if that's the majority of what you're going to do with your quirk, I don't know how well it will work in game.

Keep in mind, you'll be doing a lot of stuff on the move, which may leave you less time to write and record your events, double that for going up and making copies of your papers. Furthermore, even if you type up something really interesting, some people will be too busy to sit down and read, and some will just not care in the slightest.

Perhaps you could edit your quirk into being a story teller, based on events that occur that you stretch the truth in? Like if a marine injured a xeno with a pistol you could weave a tale of "how the deadeye veteran boldly stared towards the horrors of wild creature, and let loose a cannon shot from his mighty hand cannon" during times of downtime with squads.

I guess my question is, if you choose to keep your original quirk, how would you incorporate it from round to round?
    Nick 'Shards' Weller - Delta Marine
    Miles - Synth
    - SYNTH COUNCIL MAFIA GANG -

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate it, and its a valid concern, but I plan on trying to get the marines involved by asking them what I should write and spit balling ideas to them while we're not doing anything important. Obviously I'm not going to write my magnum opus while there's a dead dude in front of me, or a guy who needs surgery, but if we're chilling behind cades or something its a way to make small talk and try to get people to help craft a narrative of the round. He is, in essence, a story teller. Not everyone's going to want to interact with it, but that goes for anything in CM, some people just want to click on bugs until they die or the round ends.

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen you a good few times as medic or RO and it seems everyone else is vouching for you in those roles but I have not seen you as engineer, and the detail you put into the familiarity section didn't exactly show how competent you were.

In this sense I have an engineering-related question for you.

Let's say you latejoined as synth, came down to the planet and found this as your fob. Assume the flanks of the LZ are caded fine.

Can you list all the mistakes you see that have been made in this cadeline (and explain, don't need to go into too much detail, why they are bad) and how you would rectify them (as synth), assuming the engineer who built it is willing to listen and help and you have some materials to spare.

As for the quirk, I think it is interesting and unique, but might be hard to pull off in a round, however your answer to Liltiptop's question reassures me. If you did keep the quirk exactly, I think you would get bored of writing stuff down, and would prefer to just talk to marines (about how they'd be remembered/recorded etc) rather than write on paper. Making it less focused exactly on the 12th-13th century might be also beneficial, but if you know a lot about that era and can apply it, I think it would be fine.
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan_albatross View Post
    I have seen you a good few times as medic or RO and it seems everyone else is vouching for you in those roles but I have not seen you as engineer, and the detail you put into the familiarity section didn't exactly show how competent you were.

In this sense I have an engineering-related question for you.

Let's say you latejoined as synth, came down to the planet and found this as your fob. Assume the flanks of the LZ are caded fine.

Can you list all the mistakes you see that have been made in this cadeline (and explain, don't need to go into too much detail, why they are bad) and how you would rectify them (as synth), assuming the engineer who built it is willing to listen and help and you have some materials to spare.

As for the quirk, I think it is interesting and unique, but might be hard to pull off in a round, however your answer to Liltiptop's question reassures me. If you did keep the quirk exactly, I think you would get bored of writing stuff down, and would prefer to just talk to marines (about how they'd be remembered/recorded etc) rather than write on paper. Making it less focused exactly on the 12th-13th century might be also beneficial, but if you know a lot about that era and can apply it, I think it would be fine.
    Honestly thats a more robust fob cade than you usually see, so that's refreshing, but yeah there's quite a few mistakes. Big plus is that they did unwrench the pipes leading into the LZ.

First, there's a large number of cades simply unwired, while its actually not a huge issue as long as the rear gates stay closed because those are wired, the cades should be wired. Runners can pass over unwired cades with ease and lurkers can get over them as well, though its usually suicide for lurkers from my experience.

Second, some of the gates aren't connected, and it would be beneficial to connect them. Makes it easier to lower/raise them.

Third, some of the corners are a little scuffed and should be moved around. It just makes the defenses more robust, and harder for the xenos to destroy.

Fourth, is that some of the walls were left uncaded, and from experience playing as a surv on BR, the colony walls are not terribly robust. A warrior could sneak into garage, bust a hole in the wall, then have a lurker or something climb through. Or if you get pushed all the way back to your final gate, a rav or crush will just destroy the wall and make a breach in under 20 seconds.

Sixth, it would be nice to spread the cades out more near the right airlock since one trapper boiler could hit multiple cade lines in some of the areas, also the 1x3 gate going into the airlocks where the APC can't physically go could be lowered to either a 1x1 or a 1x2 gate then allowing you to create more airlocks.

That's just what I noticed from giving it a brief survey, I'm not really going to get the time to spend 20 minutes trying to figure everything out in game, so I didn't here. But all in all, this is by no means a terrible FoB I've seen much worse.

Yeah the primary goal of the quirk was to talk to the marines and to try to get their input, and I'm a trained historian and have read a lot of chronicles so it wouldn't be hard to pull off. A lot of my under graduate was working with medieval Spain and the reconquista.

Edit: I just realized right after posting that, there's no sandbags at all, asking req to spend 4.2kish on 100x sandbags would help a lot too in expanding the FoB's defenses.

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c4xmaniac View Post
    Snip
    Good answers that show you are a competent and capable engineer who knows how to cade properly and has good experience. You're right on both cading walls and making the corners regular, as well as doing well to notice the too-close cades that let trappers shoot them at the same time. I think the quirk will do well and will also provide a good opportunity to engage with marines.

Overall a solid application, +1.
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Still hope trapper gets nerfed to hell so all those cade lines wouldn't vanish in 5 minutes with or without them being too close.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, its been 30 going on 31 days since I opened this application, and its been sitting dead for going on 2 weeks now. Is there any timeframe on when the application will get a resolution? I'd really appreciate it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be resolved pretty soon, we're sorry for the wait
    Nathon Stafford-Sunglasses wearing Delta L42 kiter man. Sometimes a Captain.
    Benedict-Praiser of Jesus, healer of marines, killer of Queens.
    Kahn'Ikesh-Blooded Hunter and great grandson of Gor'don Ram-sey
    (pfp by Manezinho)
    medals:https://pastebin.com/xiCJLuhz
    Mapper since 12/29/2020
    Had dev role assasinated on 8/2/21

Synth Councilor as of 2/5/21 along with Jakk, Frogzeke, Yukonsnow, and Flpls
    DM what#3954 for help with Synth Applications