User Tag List

View Poll Results: Shoud LOOC logs, Discord Logs be taken into account when hiring moderators?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

54 83.08%
  • No

11 16.92%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mod quality has gone down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mod quality has gone down

Not gonna name people but i hope the LOOC logs, and discord logs gets put into account before gets hired to be a moderator.
    I dont know how the most pettiest people got into the staff team not knowing how to deescalate situations and even deliberately raise infractions.
    I've read a lot of recent staff reports and some of them are very saddening because how they handle things.

Even mentors, players and moderators are joking that its much easier to get moderator because its literally just copy paste.
    Look at other apps. Just change the wording and you'll easily get +1. No mod ever bothers checking what they say shit in LOOC. All of it are just "what would you do in this situation".
    No background checks except for notes and discord notes.

Someone even got discord volunteer then really failed the moderator app. Like how the does that even happen?
    If you got the discord volunteer role surely you wont fail the moderator app right? Is discord volunteer a lower bar role than moderator?

Also

You're a piece of shit IC? No we dont care about that. LOOC logs? We dont check that unless you're pretty notorious and someone had a beef with you a long time ago.

You dont talk and mingle with the community and you think you are out of place? Surely a person who is antisocial, cant differenciate jokes, memes and shitposting would be a good moderator hire.

I know that theres just room for improvement but can we just please get mods who talk like humans that are understanding instead of "HEY FUCK YOU IM GONNA BAN YOU IF YOU DONT RESPOND."

Seriously everyone can literally apply for moderator right now and get +1s unless they're a dumbass. We might as well make everyone a moderator for how piss easy it is to get.
    Last edited by Sakuyoi; 08-02-2021 at 10:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant edit poll. Man what the fuck is that wording

Washed up CM-SS13 Host NGGJamie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fixed your poll up for you, and I reworded the "No" option to remove the dark pattern-like wording.

Mod apps have always been a pet peeve of mine, and I've held the opinion they are quite easy for a while. I've considered recommending live interviews, but unfortunately that takes out the staff input portion unless you post the interview. Which case, people would leak the interview to friends eventually and tell them how to answer optimally.

It would be awesome to get legitimate outside input on this thread. Funny enough, getting Moderator was easier than Mentor when I first joined staff, too.
    Synthetic Application-Leonard [Accepted] - Predator Application-Thei-De Na'Tauk [Accepted]

Mentor: 06/28/2017 - 08/07/2017 / Trial Moderator 08/07/2017 - 08/25/17 / Moderator 08/25/17 - 10/11/17 / Trial Admin 10/11/17 - 10/30/17 / Senior Mentor 10/30/17 - 03/15/18 / Mod Manager 03/15/18 - 07/08/18 / Coder 07/08/18 - 07/27/18 / Host 07/27/18 - 10/19/22

I run Linux on all of my machines and actively reject Windows. I have some cool dotfiles up on Github for configuring some of my favorite stuff.

Contact Info:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just think there should totally be more community input on moderator apps, there's plenty of people that play the game daily and know every second person on the server, those guys should speak up - not staff mind you, that would just lead to absurd CTRL+F background checks, ripping things out of context and unnecessary antagonization of people.

also everything chainsaw said in the comment below is literally facts, expect a ban
    also everything lummy said in the comment below is literally facts, expect them to get warned or something
    Last edited by Avalanchee; 08-02-2021 at 02:15 PM.

Whitelisted Predator ChainsawMullet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can tell when there's barely any active or competent staff by the percentage of how many mod apps are getting through at any one time.

Staff leave due to dealing with other idiotic staff -> idiots get promoted -> there's barely any mods -> 95% of apps then get accepted -> standards are lower due to needing every available staff member -> some staff leave due to dealing with idiotic staff -> remaining idiots promoted -> barely any mods -> even more bad apps accepted -> standards get even lower -> cycle repeats infinitely until you reach current day CM where you have some mods that can't even speak english without google translate and a team so sensitive you'll eat a day ban for saying you're a pedophile vs other people getting month bans for making jokes about staff.

If Hudson called Vasquez an illegal alien on CM SS13 he would've been permanently banned.
    Last edited by ChainsawMullet; 08-02-2021 at 01:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put me in the screencaps

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue I've noticed with staff over the years is it has gotten more SJW. People are intervening in things that don't need staff intervention. People are punishing people because of their personal beliefs and feelings on certain subjects. Higher staff rarely interact with the community or staff, so you have people pushing their own beliefs when they hand down rulings. The server went from a bad-ass video game based on a very adult movie to a playground for children.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Jamie said is a better alternative to copy paste saga... with a voice interview, you can articulate emotions and a general sense of the individual by how they word certain words and phrases rather then "Ah yes, I would check their prior note history and see if they have any prior behavior (>be me, literal 4 years here, has accumulated more notes then lanche and anyone else, and whoever tells you otherwise is probably new status), and I'm going to either issue a note for a first offense, or a three hour ban or one day ban, depending on severity per ban timer escalation rules.

Even if someone leaks that shit out, and tell their friends about it. It would be more better and helpful if you know... know who is actually saying it, and their status to the community... That or continue the saga of random roll dice of staff members and hopefully don't pull a "saff cban moment" and end up on CCM.

Would also help if people can listen into it like a townhall kinda thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanchee View Post
    I voted no but hear me out,

I just think there should totally be more community input on moderator apps, there's plenty of people that play the game daily and know every second person on the server, those guys should speak up - not staff mind you, that would just lead to absurd CTRL+F background checks, ripping things out of context and unnecessary antagonization of people.
    Ctrl + f problem is easily solved since the whole CM discord can be searched by anyone. Nothing can be taken out of context except LOOC logs in where only staff has access to.

And also lets say person X took something out of context and someone corrected them. Then it just means that person X will get a reputation of taking things out of context and someone as not to be trusted. No one is willing to make that gamble. You dont want your image to be ruined just like that.

Also if there are people willing to protect you against bullshit then that just means that you've actually made friends from the community and you are not some literally who guy who just racked up 200-300 playtime and applied for staff. And you could always protect yourself against bullshit thrown against you and you can even explain about it.

Theres no point of having a forum if you cant defend yourself. But the only problem is sometimes that some staff lock down appeals/reports/apps before you can even explain.

I've had my share of that when i applied for mentor. I was told that i was being toxic to staff but i only remember getting banned because i reacted to an XOOC message which has been always been reacted to by xenomorphs i admit that i threw a bitchfit to grim for a bit since i didnt have the whole image of what was happening. That was months ago. And mind you. I've taught 2-4 people to play research before making that application then just got shut down because i was toxic and that when im always throwing banters with staff in discord.

About community inputs, Im sure that they had been always been fine and they were always taken into account even if you're a normal player.
    The only problem with this is that there had been always an image that you shouldn't comment in moderator apps because its a "staff thing".
    That image should be removed and people should be encouraged and assured that they would not get forum infractions from speaking out their thoughts.

It should be acting like a whitelist application in where you say your experiences with the applicant playing with them ICly and how they act in discord. Even outside the community.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumdor View Post
    The issue I've noticed with staff over the years is it has gotten more SJW. People are intervening in things that don't need staff intervention. People are punishing people because of their personal beliefs and feelings on certain subjects. Higher staff rarely interact with the community or staff, so you have people pushing their own beliefs when they hand down rulings. The server went from a bad-ass video game based on a very adult movie to a playground for children.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawMullet View Post
    You can tell when there's barely any active or competent staff by the percentage of how many mod apps are getting through at any one time.

Staff leave due to dealing with other idiotic staff -> idiots get promoted -> there's barely any mods -> 95% of apps then get accepted -> standards are lower due to needing every available staff member -> some staff leave due to dealing with idiotic staff -> remaining idiots promoted -> barely any mods -> even more bad apps accepted -> standards get even lower -> cycle repeats infinitely until you reach current day CM where you have some mods that can't even speak english without google translate and a team so sensitive you'll eat a day ban for saying you're a pedophile vs other people getting month bans for making jokes about staff.

If Hudson called Vasquez an illegal alien on CM SS13 he would've been permanently banned.
    Two things are aligned here. Its just the problem with newer staff members is that they're not suited to handle banters and shitposts. Even 2-3 years ago it wasnt that bad.
    You can joke with staff without getting banned. If you're in the "cool guy" or "cool retired" staff guy you dont get banned and im one of them.
    I always joke about discord jannies and i dont get the boot.

I think staff should be encouraged to be stoic and not throw a shitfit in form of escalating someones ban because they were salty about you and how you handle things.
    Like what is LOOC mute and adminhelp mute even for? Why even put it in the game if its not getting used?

Ignoring someones bitchfit will always definitely work. You acknowledge them by giving them a ban and thats what they fucking want. Your reaction.

If you dont give them the reaction they want then they're just literally screaming at a wall like an idiot until they realize that they're achieving nothing. Then they stop being a shittier.
    If you ban them then they would continue the same fucking shit and get banned again. Appeal. More work for admins/mods. Rinse repeat.

If we have snowflake mods who cant handle shit like this then the cycle will always go on.

You can always break that cycle of hatred too by trying to make people know that you care.

Direct message people if they want to be cryod after standing for too long.
    Hunt baldies every single round and try to help them out.
    Trying to talk to people LIKE an actual human being when handing out bans. Making them understand why you are handing out a ban and talking in a nice manner.
    Actually JUMPING to them and seeing if they are fighting someone before PMing them if they got ahelped. Its annoying as fuck when you get PMed mid combat. Or tell them if they're not that deep yet to get to a safe spot first so you can talk to them in PMs.
    Not like some fucking shitsec officer in ss13. No one wants to be pmed HEY FUCK YOU IM BANNING YOU IF YOU DONT RESPOND.

Man fuck. Is it just really fucking hard to play nice? Making people understand and talking to them like you're their buddy is always a good image.
    Calling them pal, buddy, and etc makes them feel less shit getting PMed.
    Just literally LIST everything that will annoy you and think as a normal player in how would staff earn your respect. Its not so fucking hard to be a good moderator.

Good image is always beneficial to all staff members.
    Its like staff in CM is cool. So i wont break the rules or cause trouble to them kind of thing.
    Last edited by Sakuyoi; 08-02-2021 at 03:08 PM.