User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On the subject of slurs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the subject of slurs

After seeing that there are 3 staff reports due to bans following an incident of using a "slur" I just sorta want to shed light on this matter.

The crucial thing all three of these reports had in common was that the "slur" was being used in a non-malicious/biggoted or insulting way. For full disclosure I am involved in one of these incidents as such Im not gonna discuss it.

In both other instances the "slur" used was the word "nigga" as many long term CM players know, this word has been approved by numerous members of staff and indeed used extensively BY members of staff on CM and the discord. In the rules it states that using this word as a substitute for "dude" or "bro" is acceptable.

So how come they got banned?

Honestly, it seems as though staff are eagerly wanting to flex their PC mucles and escalate any situatuon into a ban without accounting for the fact that maybe the attitude stems from the staff member themself being a tit or that they lack a crucial understanding of how language works and how a persons intent can change any word to be endearing or hurtful.
    As a demonstration take "Hi" a perfectly fine word used to greet cordially, now by simply changing the tone of your voice you can turn this friendly greeting into a belittling insult.
    An ingame demonstration take "friend" now find someone who doesnt like you and constantly refer to them as "friend" congrats your now a smart-ass cunt mockingly harassing someone.

So I want to make this point clear, JUST BECAUSE A WORD CAN BE USED AS AN INSULT OR A SLUR DOESNT MEAN ITS USE REQUIRES A BAN look at the context the word is being used in and the situation, then decide manner in which the person used it actually requires staff intervention.

And ontop of that STOP BEING A BUNCH OF BABIES you act as though you need to shelter people on the server from these words as if they havent encountered them in other parts of life. As well as by somehow banning these words youll stop anyone from being a bigot. Ironically by banning these words all youre doing is fuelling that bigots hatred.

Please stop turning CM into some sorta safespace, it doesnt do anything but create meaningless issues. The point im really trying to get across is that context and intent matters more than words themselves, words are what we make of them and when you act as though certain words can never be spoken all youre doing is reinforcing the idea of it being a harmful word rather than underminning it.

Im not asking for a rule change im just saying actually bother to understand the context in which the word is being used before going into asshat staffer mode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I blame the sjw's, the karens and the snowflakes. May they forever cry in pain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly think the same.
    Grow some skin and use common sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we gotta have boondocks shown to kids these days
    Last edited by Sakuyoi; 08-07-2021 at 05:40 PM.

Yautja Council Member Joe Lampost's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the fact they day banned tio for saying nigga blows my mind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lampost View Post
    the fact they day banned tio for saying nigga blows my mind
    isnt tio black? Or i might be mistaking someone from a different guy.
    If so thats some funny shit right there

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuyoi View Post
    isnt tio black? Or i might be mistaking someone from a different guy.
    If so thats some funny shit right there
    First they take their freedom now they take their words. A black man can’t have shit.

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Free Tio, free zab.

That's all I have to say on the matter
    Last edited by Stan_albatross; 08-07-2021 at 08:29 PM. Reason: I
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently 'xigs' is considered a slur. I get 'ligg*r', sort of, but xigs is just hilarious. There was a point in the past where debate about this took place, the main focus being on actual racist slurs and not slang words. Now here we are.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he's right you know
    Chaotic puppet-master from hell