User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Objectives & Defcon balancing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Objectives & Defcon balancing

So for the past three days now I've been playing more roles outside of which I'd typically play, mainly being a SO. And from that experience I've seen how little Marines do objectives which contribute to lowering the Defcon level. I've also seen rounds in which Marines do go after objectives which usually lead to things going to Defcon 4. But I've noticed that this usually occurs only mid to late game, and even with the Marines on their A game the lowest I have ever seen it go was 4. What I'm saying is the current objectives are unbalanced, and yield to little to contribute getting past Defcon 4. I also heard that collecting fallen Marines can help lower it but I personally don't see this happening mainly because Marines don't have the time to recover bodys which put them out of combat for a long while.

The first suggestion I have is to rework the scrap notes and other random items you find as I feel they don't add enough to the level.

I also don't see nor expect any Marines to drag bodys back across the map back to the Alamo as it's simply (at least in my opinion) not fun and is very time consuming. And because of this I think penalty's from this should be reduced or entirely scraped in favor of collecting Dog tags.
    Last edited by Mr.Dbaggy; 02-12-2019 at 10:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe staff/devs have stated the Defcon system is up for a rework later on. But until then, I think the Almayer needs a Mortician whose main jobs are autopsy, and body collection/identification. They would of course be based in the Morgue and work in tandem with the Head Researcher, but as an added bit, they'd have access to extra body bags and an interactive version of the crew manifest. Frequently the Mortician would deploy via the Alamo/Normandy and do his body collection and bagging schtick for any corpses brought to the FOB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds legit it could be a fun role, although I suspect them ending up dead trying to collect bodies around the map along with it being a heavily support and roleplay based job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dbaggy View Post
    Sounds legit it could be a fun role, although I suspect them ending up dead trying to collect bodies around the map along with it being a heavily support and roleplay based job.
    That's why I think the role should have very explicit rules that they're not to leave the FOB unless they're collecting an obviously secure body within sight of the cade line.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure defcon is broken atm.

That's why it's never hits DEFCON3

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen it hit 3 before, but it's pretty rare.

There's also actually been rounds where the Marines hit DEFCON 4 before actually deploying due to the fact that, I think, restoring comms and power are both still objectives and they're things any robust group of survivors that have/find a headset able to contact Almayer would want to do to speed up their rescue. They might also do it to restore power to a room with a fax machine if they have PCMs but no batteries or some other situation.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As simple as it is; DEFCON needs what, 16000 points? I don't know how much disk gives since I am not wasting on it but jesus, it takes years to just get 10 new marines or a bit of req points.

Not useful.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DEFCON 4 is the most reachable and easiest as getting comms + Power is usually put up every round, and it gives one fresh wave of reinforcements.

DEFCON 3 is the most useful, yet takes SO long to get to that the effort isn't proportional to the reward. Having to put so many people on intel duty means so many people NOT fighting the xenos, so you get steam rolled hard. One xenos hit Elder Lurker, its too dangerous to collect intel unless your in squads, or you have 2-3 people with you that have tac shotguns or BC shotguns, with one being powergaming (by High Staff) and the other being very limited and if you give BC shotguns to the Intel squad you don't have BC shotguns killing T3's at the front so you run into the SAME PROBLEM of diverting TOO MANY RESOURCES and TIME to shitty DEFCON that barely rewards you for your effort.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rounds need to become long again for the DEFCON system to realize its full potential imo

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the idea but right now it's not executed correctly. Most of the time no one wants to decode the disks because it's annoying to do and then you have to decode like 20 just to get to defcon 4
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.