User Tag List

Thread: Staff Report - Podrick Equus, Grimreaperx15(?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Staff Report - Podrick Equus, Grimreaperx15(?)

Staff Report
    Your BYOND Key
    knuffles
    Date of Incident
    August 14, 2021
    Your Character Name?
    Kawami Briggs
    Their BYOND Key
    Podrick Equus, Grimreaperx15(?)
    Approximate time and date of the incident
    10PM EST LV-624 round
    Which Staff Protocols (//showthrea...-and-Protocols) were broken
    -Preserve the RP and enjoyment of the server
    -3. Determine the seriousness of the issue
    -a. Determine the bare minimum punishment. There's no reason to jump straight to a ban, especially if the incident didn't cause a major disruption to the game. Try to use warnings, and if you do need to ban don't be excessive. Most bans should not be above 24 hours.
    -Do not abuse your power
    Description of the incident
    Right so basic background to explain my thought process

My character Kawami Briggs is a black man conscripted over a murder he committed over gang violence. he climbed his way up, redeemed himself, went to OCS, reenlisted as an officer, came out legit, all that stuff. this doesn't go as far when I play him as a PFC (he's still redeeming himself) but it's still the same basic gist. this is reflected IC with security notes on his crimes, medical notes on his conscription and stuff, basic things to make sure he's represented as a character correctly.

So to the situation around me getting banned. an MP player was planning on causing problems repeating his actions in previous rounds and indicated this ICly. I say, in character, over comms something along the lines of "nigga you better not try anything or I'm contacting HC", completely in line with my character and the way he's supposed to speak. the MP player requested that I do not call him nigga, which I respect, and change my way of addressing him on the spot, never referring to him as a "nigga" again.

Later I am contacted by podrick on this, and while I can't exactly remember how the conversation went, and I can't exactly repeat what he, and I said, and I also can't exactly look at the logs to see what was said, I have a couple of screenshots saved that I can reference and my own foggy memory to try and explain the conversation as I understood it. Podrick claimed that saying nigga as an XO is LRP and that I should stop, using what I said to the MP as an example. I reply that this is my character and that is how he talks. podrick says I can't use that as an excuse, and that is where I think preserving the RP and enjoyment of the server is violated, as it's a gimmick and usually doesn't bother anyone, and if it does I respect it and stop. It also doesn't interfere with my performance in the roles I play. in fact, most people I RP and talk to as Kawami seem to enjoy the way he talks and behaves and it's something I've been told that people like it OOC as well.

The conversation continues and podrick tells me that he thinks it's unacceptable for an XO to be saying nigga, and while I disagree, he makes it clear that what I think doesn't mean jack, which is... coo, aight. you the mod man. he then says that I have been arguing with him and giving attitude, which is partially true, but I don't think it was nearly as scathing as he made it out to be, and I did have a reason to be kinda curt, as I was an XO in the middle of commanding an operation in a one-man CIC, so I DID want to get the interaction over with as quickly as possible so I could go back to command.

podrick them hit me with an ultimatum but surprisingly without the "or I will XXX" part. he asked me "will you would stop saying nigga as an XO?" I replied that no, I will concede and stop saying it over comms and announcements to appear more "professional" and "MRP", but when it comes to interpersonal IC conversations that are off comms and announcements I would do as my character would do and continue saying it in-person. Sticking to my character means I get a week ban and a jobban from Commanding Officer, Executive Officer, Staff Officer, Pilot Officer, Vehicle Crewman, Military Police, Requisitions Officer, Chief Engineer, Chief Medical Officer, Chief MP, Senior Enlisted Advisor, Synthetic, and Military Warden for this, failing to determine the real seriousness of the situation. (it's really, really, really not the serious. I'm getting banned for saying nigga.) also violating giving me the minimum punishment, although it is claimed that it was escalated due to previous notes (which really do not make any sense, I'm a black guy banned for racism(?) and using nigga as an insult (you literally can't, nigga only means one thing. dude/bro, you can't use dude/ bro as an insult.))

I also am of the opinion that Podrick abused his power because he doesn't like the use of nigga personally. I hold this opinion is due to a recent staff report resulting from someone else calling him nigga ICly and him ahelping about it. My suspicion of this is furthered by the fact that he said "various versions of nigga" in the note even though it is very clear that there is.... only one. this means to me that they cannot differentiate between the hard R and the soft A, (which besides the fact that that is worrying, as a black dude oocly) means that this possibly influenced their decision, being unable to distinguish between the actual racist term and the non-racist term. I believe that this is something that should be taken into account, but correct me if I'm wrong.

(A small footnote, apparently, this was mostly orchestrated by grim? I don't really understand but he's the one who issued the ban? doesn't make sense to me but I was told to include grim in the report, I'm assuming staff logs will clear it up.)

(footnote two, Id like to reiterate that I have always used nigga is by the book. you can replace any instance of me saying nigga with dude and it'd fit perfectly. it means the same thing as "man", "bro", or "dude". These words and nigga mean literally, the same things and I would never get banned for saying any of those as an XO (or any other role))
    Evidence
    Logs (sorry for making you dive for this)
    How you would punish the accused
    I want my jobbans removed and my week ban x'd.

i don't really feel like podrick should be punished, but something about separating prejudices from mod work would be coo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're waiting on logs, Sir Lordington has been assigned. Apologies for the delay.
    EDIT: Silencer has volunteered to take logs for this report, so he'll be posting logs.
    Last edited by Somenerd; 08-17-2021 at 03:09 PM.
    Anna "High-Toss" Stall

I'm a manager now
    I manage moods
    B)

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For easy reference:

knuffles is green.
    Grim is red.
    Podrick is purple.

The initial exchange occurs:

Spoiler Spoiler:

The XO is ahelped. Note: This isn't done by any of the participant of the above, but rather another player who heard it over comms.

Spoiler Spoiler:

The exchange between Podrick and knuffles:

(note that for some reason, probably BYOND being BYOND, there does not seem to be a record of the first PM in this conversation)

Spoiler Spoiler:

The ban:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Exchange between Podrick and Grim discussing the ban and explaining why Grim is involved in this report:

Spoiler Spoiler:

That is all that seems to be relevant, unless I oopsied, in which case tell me and I'll find what needs to be found.
    Senior Administrator

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this report boils down to basically the following:

Quote Originally Posted by CM Rules
    Playing a character that is based upon a specific stereotype is permitted however playing to a racial, religious or cultural caricature is not.
    Management staff, or the highest ranking alternative available, reserve the right to make calls on specific stereotypes being racially, religiously or culturally offensive.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by "CM Rules

Roleplaying hostile actions, beliefs or emotions through the use of profanity is permitted. However staff reserve the right to make calls on situations if a player has crossed the line. If a staff member tells you to stop, you stop.

Someone ahelped it, staff investigated, staff said please stop, you said no.

I'll be frank, there are people who do not understand or find it socially acceptable the use of the word "Nigga" because we all come different backgrounds, and some players and members of this community were taught "Racism Bad." and that "Nigga" as "Dude" is one of those taboo subjects.

As far as what can I roleplay and people reading this going "KNUFFLES GOT BEANED OMG HE JUST SAID NIGGA STAFF 1984" I'll keep it simple. Staff can make these decisions, and if you don't agree with it, you can give valid critiques on it all you want, but the decision is final if no protocols were broken.

If you were Private/PFC/LCPL pretending to be a reformed gang banger, it would be fine. But with any caricature or stereotype characters, the higher your rank, the more you should act like a person befitting that rank. A XO/CO wouldn't refer to his men or women as "nigga"

I roleplayed a chicano marine, and when I was XO/CO the most I would call people was amigos or vatos. If I am PVT/PFC I call people pendejos. I was bwoinked when I was XO when I first started plenty of times with "Tone down the spanglish/spanish"

At the end of the day if you said "Ok ill tone it down" you wouldn't find yourself in this situation. But if players say "No this is how I play my character" well staff told you to stop, and you refused, so there's really no leg to stand on here.

The only thing I see in this situation which I will reverse is the full command ban. Those are reserved for players who do something REALLY BAD: IE Grief the entire marine side with a deliberate OB or Deliberate sabotage of the entire OP when aCO. The ban itself is almost over, but you could post an appeal if you want to have it removed earlier than the expiration.
    Last edited by ThesoldierLLJK; 08-17-2021 at 04:29 PM.
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids