Thread: Doesn't seem worth coming back to clearly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't seem worth coming back to clearly

SSGT Jacqueline Finlay Reportin
    Charlie to Alpha Main here.

• I have checked up on CM over time as it has been about over a year since I chose to stop playing and move to other things in life and try other games that didn't last hours and hours. Things have slowed down and I have looked into playing this once again, but as I go through the forums and remember why I also left was because of the rules and the new players as the Mods or who ever tried to cooperate with all the new players not understanding RP.

• First rule of engagement was everything in this game that made it good, but when I saw the words "Marines know everything about the Xenos." I was crushed by defeat by the new player base. Marines knew all the names of Xenos and knew they would have a hive. When those rules were enforce. I could feel the tear in my heart knowing that this wasn't going to be a fun game anymore. Just means more meta. Maybe that changed, I don't know.

• And when I tried to play those games as a Squad Leader. It was boring. The words people picked every time they played was great and kept things new and fresh when they didn't just call the Xeno by its name. Almost like there is a Rhino in there instead of hearing crusher. Got a jumper over there instead of hearing hunter/runner. Most favorite thing to hear was the Xeno in the vents. Always just said it was the rats, but when first rule of engagement happened. People just said it's an Xeno. Stale, dead, boring to hear. It just something that always got me thinking when on the battlefield, because of how people tried to describe things was great. That was RP to me. And it felt so lost in a void when things change.

• Things change of course. I remember when the mortar came out The tank, Intelligent officers, Burrower, Warrior and ect. It's just the rules that hurt the most.

• I don't know what has happened in-game, but just reading discord and forums. I don't feel influenced at all to try this game.

• But I can at least say I learned my leadership in video games because of this game. Every time I load up some game and play as squad leader and lead a squad of people. I always remember this game just in a snap. My favorite thing to tell marines was I would never save you if you died, but I had a heart no matter what. And when they got back up and thank me for saving them. I said. "I'm no hero marines, but don't you die in my squad."

• But I'm also up to hear stories from in-game to see what things are like. But I want it to be from a squad leader main. How are squads treating there squad leaders during briefing, hanger, dropship, landing zone and the battle zone. That's all I'll ask. Just very, very curious.

And I truly don't care what salt I get on this, but you say what you want. Im always all ears. And only if I want to respond back. And I will not remember many vets or long lasting players. So I apologies for not knowing.

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First contact gets really tiresome after a while. It's just annoying to try and fake wonder at xeno castes every time.

As for squad leader experience... Well...

The meta is all about marines unga rushing the hive at roundstart. That's generally the easiest way for marines to win. So at this point, you can expect most of your squad abandoning you and joining whatever push is going currently, no matter what your squad orders are or what flank you're trying to do.

If the initial unga does not succeed, marines are usually stuck in an attrition ball and you can't really pull your squad out of it. You can try organizing some kind of squad level coordinated push, but you shouldn't expect that many squad members to actually follow you. Marines are kinda bad at switching to such local squad-based operation doctrine and I feel they've been getting worse lately due to to the powercreep leading to it being not that required. But that's honestly where a good SL can have the most impact now.

As for particular squads:
    Alpha is generally the most coordinated and compliant of the frontline squads, if you're loud enough, they'd listen and Alpha often can lead a good push, mostly through willingness to operate as a squad and not individual skill.
    Charlie bad. Most of the time. Due to it being usually the smallest squad, you can expect most of the squad to disappear at deployment time and then die with no impact. Still, it usually has good engineers and medics and if you get a couple of good veterans and get them coordinate with you, Charlie can be good. It also seems to be getting better lately.
    Delta is good, but it's SL is not that important. Leading Delta is like herding cats. It has most of the veteran players, it's also the largest squad, but those veterans generally prefer to work with their metabuddies and alone, while the less experienced Delta players try to imitate them. As such Delta is best suited at being marine anvil and serving as the base of the unga ball.
    Bravo is best if you want leadership experience. You need to micromanage engineers so that they don't fuck up the FOB, set up people on sentry duty, recover baldies from harraser attacks and lots of other small things. Also you often get some nice chil RP in Bravo.
    Roman 'Fire' Kacew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Squad pushes don't really exist anymore. You as an SL just gather whatever players nearby and if they have a brain they follow you, or at least that's what I do. Squad comms come second, local comes first

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You explain things exactly like how It was. I still question a lot though, but oh well.

I at least hope you've been enjoying the game. sg2002

I guess I'll be doing a one time go. Hope I don't regret
    Last edited by TheBluez; 08-16-2021 at 09:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Zab1019. I've only seen marines run off because Squad Leaders don't talk a lot. Like in Delta. If your didn't talk to your squad. They were gone.

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For both sides the meta is to rush. Ability to defend areas has been nerfed quite a bit, especially for marines.

Alpha is no longer the bald squad, it's now 100% Bravo, because every robust or experienced bravo fucks off from the fob to go to the frontline (even if you plead they won't stay, the only people who stay are bald or new guys.) , and there aren't many of those people in bravo to begin with.

The main fun games happen when both sides fail their rushes and now the game can properly go either way, or when one side manages to turn around a rush (although this rarely happens on the marine side due to their defences being shit. Marines can go from losing hydro to losing the LZ in under two minutes, and this isn't uncommon).

Marine rush victories have been getting a bit less common, but maybe that's just because I typically play lowpop.
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WE. GOT. BOGIES!

but srsly though this does suck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty much what SG2002 said.

However while I do understand why First Contact could be annoying to RP, I always found it fun to make up new names to call Xenos, though normally, if I was lacking creative juices I'd always use "Big Red Fucker," for Rav, "Small Red Fuckers" for Runners and pretty much add 'Fucker' to any word to describe them. I also found it fun to quote the movie sometimes, like "Check your Corners!" or "They're coming out of the goddman walls!"

I miss rolling IO, going around in a tank, and just crushing people like a train as a Crusher.

Those were the days my friend....

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started a thread about "First Contact" and it coming back on discord. At the end it was pretty much in agreement that "It'll just get old fast"
    I think a compromise is Grimreaper has been running "First Contact" rounds once in awhile, and I'm all for the admin team doing it once in awhile to break up the stagnation about players wanting it.
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    I started a thread about "First Contact" and it coming back on discord. At the end it was pretty much in agreement that "It'll just get old fast"
    I think a compromise is Grimreaper has been running "First Contact" rounds once in awhile, and I'm all for the admin team doing it once in awhile to break up the stagnation about players wanting it.
    I think the problem with that "vote" or "feedback" is you're targeting the hardcore playerbase who plays the game on a daily basis. Whereas the majority of the players are average users who don't log on everyday and don't become bored of the same old routine as often as the more involved/vocal community members.

IMO, I don't think First Contact would serve any point on CM given the RP Standards currently and would just cause more moderation issues than anything.