User Tag List

View Poll Results: what version of roleplay fits?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lets try for HRP (lol)

29 29.59%
  • We should be MRP like staff says.

49 50.00%
  • Loosen restrictions to LRP standards

6 6.12%
  • Fuck it, we TDM now.

14 14.29%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we discard all pretense of RP?

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sort of logical conclusion ends with any BYOND server becoming a TDM? BYOND is not meant to run intense combat, like Call of Duty, Skyrim, whatever it is you youngin's play these days. BYOND is a very poor choice for hosting if you plan on making a TDM server. And onto the issue of new players, I have seen many new players who are better at roleplaying than many veterans. They address officers as sir, they listen to orders, they make an attempt to put themselves in that setting. The reason for that is because many new players come here expecting it to be a colonial marines roleplaying server, where they can act like they're one of the characters from the Alien series. The problem comes in when they start to see no one is fostering or responding to their attempts at interaction, and eventually they join the hoard of mute NPCs. I've trained many new players, and I can say, most of them are better at staying in character than the regulars I see. I try to encourage them to keep that spirit up, but there's only so much I can do in that manner. If you want to have meaningful roleplay in this game, then you need to talk to people about events, things that happened to you or others outside of the round. For example, I am sitting on dropship for 2nd or 3rd drop. Do I remain silent then go shoot xenos, or do I start a conversation with the guy next to me about how I love jungle planets, and this is my Xth combat drop. If they don't respond then so be it, go find someone else. Make some small talk outside of PBing a xeno and saying "Based" or seeing your friend killed in front of you and saying "Real".
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an idea and it's called weekly LRP crackdown days

one day a week, any LRP is a 3 hour ban

the day is not announced and is random

this should improve rp standards somewhat
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The average PVT is a far better RPer than the vast majority of prime players. It’s always funny to see a pvt make a long winded in world comment, only to have some prime pfc respond with “bruh” or “real.” The community doesn’t really RP much unless it’s with WLed roles and even then it isn’t a super large amount.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh god another one of these threads

be the change you want to see in the world, if you want more RP then take the initiative to interact with people and it's guaranteed that someone will RP back. sometimes it feels like people don't try at all to be interesting and then complain about RP quality

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hot take "based" and other such meme terms should be considered LRP...

Tbh the only popular Meme phrase that I dont think should be considered LRP is "sus" but only when used in regards to law enforcement... and not as meme

That and more "HRP" 'minor event' rounds Would IMO help get more people to at least aim for less NPC more RP behavior.

Maybe also increasing the Predrop time (terra gov has a time lock on dropping and they dont even RP 90% of the time) / adding more time at the end of rounds after hive is wiped for RP, like we almost never get to see what happens next, no medical for the wounded at the end, no debrief, no CONGRATS CREW from HC, ect. Im not saying its a bad thing or something that needs to happen, just that it would potentially help the RP drought people are feeling if people had MORE TIME to RP. Normal Box stations get 1-4+ hours of time to RP and get C D and even E plots rolling, We don't need that much, but an extra 10-20 mins of pre drop, without getting yelled at for grieving or delaying the round would be a nice boon assuming people didnt just devolve into apes and shoot all the MPs to death and blow up medbay out of boredom.

I get that its an MRP server with more emphasis on keeping things snappy enough they dont get boring, but honestly it would be nice to have a bit more time to RP instead of immediately getting thrown into the fight where RP becomes minimal and most of the player-base becomes NPCs that follow orders and shoot making occasional call outs or yell at the guy who shot them by mistake.

In regards to RP as an issue... most people's idea of noncombat RP falls into 3 categories from what I've seen

The usual: HELP MP ARRESTED ME and subsequent riot where the MP is mugged by half a dozen marines for arresting a pfc that 100% broke the law.... MPS SHOULD NOT BE AFRAID TO ENTER THE ALAMO/ HAVE TO USE FLASHBANGS ON ALAMO FOR A SINGLE MARINE'S ARREST 9/10 times...I hate MPs getting more OOC protection as much as the next marine but at this point the lack of respect is bottom of the barrel.. MPs honestly need to be held HRP the way COs and Synths are to curb the shitcurity MP bad mentality, once that happens, It would hopefully help fix this issue as Mps lose most of the stigma.

The: lets do X to Y and dance on the edge of griefing, AKA, bottle bonking officers and ignoring ML as though they aren't competent soldiers who want to avoid court marshal, and throwing people into the ASRS

And lastly The: Im going to actual RP and talk to the CL or try and host a pizza party in kitchen, or maybe start a cult that while it may not be beneficial to the marines and may be mildly detrimental, at least it had proper progression and build up or reasons to exist.

or am I off the mark?

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't worry guys there'll be another RP thread in a month or so!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortelian View Post
    What sort of logical conclusion ends with any BYOND server becoming a TDM? BYOND is not meant to run intense combat, like Call of Duty, Skyrim, whatever it is you youngin's play these days. BYOND is a very poor choice for hosting if you plan on making a TDM server.
    CM was never intended to be a TDM server.
    Years of poor management, lack of leadership and complete disregard for quality control has lead CM to where it is today.
    It is far easier to develop ANY server into a TDM/Action game than it is to multi-task development, high standards and quality rules like CM had prior in order to make it a Medium-RP Server.

CM is where it is today due to poor leadership and an incompetent development team that somehow get's worse every year and passes the blame off to the player-base anytime shit goes tits up.
    If you're hoping for drastic improvement you're wasting your time, the problems at the top are still there and don't seem to be going anywhere so CM will always be plagued with poor management.
    Last edited by Fewher; 09-03-2021 at 06:20 AM.

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fewher View Post

How? It's humans vs xenos, where you get an instant win if you kill all xenos/kill all humans. How was it not intended to be TDM?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fewher View Post
    Years of poor management, lack of leadership and complete disregard for quality control has lead CM to where it is today.
    It is far easier to develop ANY server into a TDM/Action game than it is to multi-task development, high standards and quality rules like CM had prior in order to make it a Medium-RP Server.

CM is where it is today due to poor leadership and an incompetent development team that somehow get's worse every year and passes the blame off to the player-base anytime shit goes tits up.
    If you're hoping for drastic improvement you're wasting your time, the problems at the top are still there and don't seem to be going anywhere so CM will always be plagued with poor management.
    Feweh stop talking about others being poor managers when you literally got the entire staff team to oust you because they refused to work under you. You are the only "leader" CM has had who was so bad that their own staff team unanimously decided was terrible. The only thing bigger than your ego is your constant need for attention and validation by attacking the server, you are the embodiment of the "angry man yells at cloud" meme and lack any self awareness about it. Your era was plagued by corruption and staff abuse, heavy handed intervention, rp railroading, terrible events where you would give yourself power trip roles and derail the round, their is not a single old player around who respects your era of CM, all of us had fun in those days in spite of you and not because of it.

Going on years of you whining about the same shit now man, your doing the thing the far cry 3 pirate guy talked about
    Last edited by Dreven; 09-03-2021 at 07:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Base" ss13 rounds end if the wizard dies. Guess they're all TDM too