User Tag List

View Poll Results: do engineers need a change?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • engineer gameplay is fun and no change is needed

3 3.33%
  • metal and plasteel costs should be greatly reduced or cades greatly increased in durability

31 34.44%
  • an objective that marines can take that provides req with points

18 20.00%
  • Both cost reduction/durability tweaks and an objective for req

38 42.22%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: squad engineer gameplay is insanely unfun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow squad engineer gameplay is insanely unfun

Currently part of what makes holding cades impossible is trapper boiler but also the fact that squad engineers literally never can have enough material to finish a place, meaning that Req has to spend every drop of their points on metal and pray to ASRS that other good things come up.

This gameplay for req is shit, they need more choice and control in what they buy.

This gameplay for building engineers is CURSED. Every squad engineer can confirm that starving for metal and being unable to replace a single trashed and paper thin cade is so fucking unfun. It's worse when req decides they want to do ANYTHING OTHER than spend points purely on metal and plasteel because then the FOB is unfinished and just... awful.

An alternative is that squad engineers could claim miners or some kind of computer that while powered generates points for req to then buy more metal and req actually to not be utterly starved at all times. also gives reason for marines to hold anything other than FOB

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    let's look at all the things that happened to nerf engineers since Summer 2020 (nethcades)

So first we had the original nethcades nerf, where the cost of cades got upped to 10 for both kinds of cade.

Then we had that reverted, metal cades became 5 metal but they lost some health, and random metal spawns were removed. Plasteel cades remained as 10 metal.

Then we had the wall nerfs, which let xenos easily slash through walls without aciding them and even let t2s like lurkers and warriors slash walls, which basically made walls super shit.

Then we had the more recent nerf to welding which made engineering skill not affect welding and also made welding take somthing like 5 seconds which is just horrendous.

All that cades are good for now are being a little barricade to stop runners and lurkers from getting in the fob, aids trapper boilers and literally any other xeno can just blitz through them super quick and you can never weld them in time.

Trapper boiler gameplay is unfun too, all it is is sitting offscreen clicking cades.

Plasteel is also a major barrier to making a good fob, it costs WAY more in req and you always need 3-wide gates on the main line for the apc.

Recently I tried doing new strats with engie, such as using the newly buffed masterkey to clear out all the walls in the fob and create a giant firing line for marines, but every time if a single trapper boiler rolled up it would just get trolled instantly.

I agree that req gameplay is stale and boring, they can only ever buy mats and spec ammo and now that defcon is killed they never even get more budget. Also it's ungratifying as fuck to spend ages grinding for metal stacks on the ship just to know a trapper will be able to blitz through it in 5 clicks.

At this point most engineers spend time making a fob that's usually untested or gets run over flat by trappers, or they frontline with claymores and shit. It's so hard to weld stuff now that most don't even bother. And don't get me started on how the change made EVERYONE weld at the same speed, from a PFC with an engineering pamphlet to a synth, which first off is ICly retarded, but second off has killed engineering gameplay for synths since synths are so much better at medical than engineering, so there is very little pressure to do engineering stuff when any engineer can do it just as well as you can, as opposed to medical which you are the best at. Synths should be the best at engineering too, but they got their speed boost to cade construction, wire making, and welding all removed, so now they are just the same as an engineer. This is ignoring the closed MR which was made before the welding nerf MR which would have ONLY nerfed synth welding speed and engineering tasks, which was literally a "me ded plz nerf" MR because synths were able to stop trappers from blitzing cades and xenos were annoyed they had to attack cades instead of being able to wait 20 seconds for another xeno to instantly break them.
    Last edited by Stan_albatross; 08-30-2021 at 07:28 AM.
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    engineer is not fun to play not gonna lie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Yeah, I absolutely agree. I played engineer for the last several weeks and can feel it. FOBing is extremely unrewarding. You spend an hour (sometimes two if round is long) and then your cades just get cheesed in the matter of minutes. I played Xeno (especially boiler) before I began to main engineer, so I know how low effort you need to destroy a FOB. All this just because devs decided that "FOB being held is not expected". So game loop changed from "marines attack" -> "xenos defend caves, where they have advantage" -> "marines flee" -> "xenos attack" -> "marines defend cades, where they have advantage" -> "xenos flee" etc. to "marines attack" -> "xenos defend caves, where they have advantage (a reminder, that cavehugging was buffed hard with defensive structures)" -> "either marines murderball into the hive or xenos counter attack and FOB falls". For sure that "forward and backward" gameplay was way more interesting than current loop of speedruns. It still rarely happens now tho, and there is many conditions: marines have enough manpower to not just hold but counterattack, xenos don't have trappers (or trapper is extremely bald), sweaty queen doesn't abuse remote building. Seriously tho, why the hell they buffed ovied queen so hard? Remote building with thick structures is extremely strong and the fact weeds for some fucking reason can go behind cades makes it just another nail in the coffin of engineering gameplay. And I don't even want to talk about queen beacon, the tool that allows queen just ignore the FOB completely. Ah yes, and I forgot pylons. Remember how useful air support used to be during FOB sieges? Pylons killed it. The amount of changes during this and the last year that just keep killing roles is truly fascinating.

Whitelisted Synthetic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only play engineer for sentries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ngl i bitched and whinged when they nerfed sentries cause of you mike, at least it took time and effort to setup and organise the sentry spam.

but nah all these engi nerfs seem to come from a viewpoint that if xenos cant just throw themselves and charge headfirst at a problem then the problem needs removed.

amount of effort from a single competent engi during an fob siege compared to the combined effort of the entire xeno team isnt even fair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree, all it comes down to is either cadehug, scavenge for metal and get rouny capped or die because of FF in the front lines, and even when you manage to make a decent FOB cadeline you get killed by a boiler and a bunch of spitters or runners

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FOBs seem so, so weak. I don't have a long history to work off of but it feels like most xenos get through any number of cades in 30 seconds at most when Marines have to fall back to the FOB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, only reason to play engine is for the sentries now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was actually a engi main for a while but I got tired of the effort in futility. Unless something major changes I highly doubt I'll ever take on the roll outside of something like Whiskey Outpost or what not.