User Tag List

View Poll Results: do engineers need a change?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • engineer gameplay is fun and no change is needed

3 3.33%
  • metal and plasteel costs should be greatly reduced or cades greatly increased in durability

31 34.44%
  • an objective that marines can take that provides req with points

18 20.00%
  • Both cost reduction/durability tweaks and an objective for req

38 42.22%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: squad engineer gameplay is insanely unfun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outcast Seer View Post
    Experiencing the various engi nerfs kind of broke me and I find myself often playing as PFC+ with sentry backup.

Engineer construction is really one-dimensional. A lot of creativity was removed with nerfs over the past three years. Signaler-airlocks are dead. Walls benefit xenos more than marines these days. Sentries can't be ordered from req to supplement FOB defenses.

There just really isn't anything interesting in building 50 metal cades when you know in the back of your head that the xenos only need to break one cade for the entire line to fall.

It would be interesting to see engineers get more things to construct, such as powercell-powered floodlights, razor-wire lines, electrified razor-wire lines, tank-traps, etc.

Engineers are builders. Give them more than two objects to build please.
    So just TGMC since you can do all of that there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrick Chamberlain View Post
    If it's an attempt at a jab for what they said it's a poor one. I don't play TGMC but I can recognize their engineer role is 200% more fun to play in every aspect than placing down 50 metal barricades in a few lines over and over for every map. +1 to the razor wire bundles and to literally anything more that engis can get to give the role some variety.
    Community Mentor
    Began 2/17/2021

Sergeant Major Poppy Castlebrook
    Marie Auburn
    August Lancaster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrick Chamberlain View Post
    If I liked TGMC I wouldn't still be here complaining, now would I?

I find the overall CM experience to still be more enjoyable, I just would like to see this one role be modernized.
    Luca Jagemann, the cynical colonial with the prescription glasses.

Ancient Synth Williams, on another rescue mission in Brazil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still like playing engineer and the T2 sentry buy is probably my favorite change recently but yeah barricade gameplay is still dog shit. I would like to see nailguns added to the engies arsenal with some kind of holster that comes with it. Also plasteel should be minorly reduced. I know its strong and you need it in base designs but cmon we know why you need it. the fucking apc. if there was no APC 1 tile plasteel cades would be fine the majority of the time

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 tile plasteel cades generally end up creating a fucking massive shufflehell whenever marines try to push/retreat

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joooks View Post
    1 tile plasteel cades generally end up creating a fucking massive shufflehell whenever marines try to push/retreat
    :Hesrightyouknow:
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you will not make 1 tile cade at the front or else you must :server: yourself NOW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im going to find you and empty a mk1 mag into you untill you heartbreak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Engi main here. It says a lot that I literally made an account to contribute to this discussion

As it stands, here is my step by step for a round
    >Get equipped
    >Decide what turret I want
    >Say screw it and take the DMR
    >Say screw it again and take the flamer with an M44 sidearm to clear out weeds
    >Set up turrets, fill sandbags

(Option one)
    >Move to another objective with 3-4 other marines
    >Get jumped by a lurker, get both my feet taken off, have to go back up
    >Come back
    >Fob is getting shafted

Or, option 2
    >Say fuck it, I'm gonna reinforce the shit outta the fob
    >Put burn upgrades on every cade to protect from acid
    >Set up turrets with extra protection to keep lurkers away
    >Turrets do nothing
    >One crusher runs through it
    >One Boiler murders it
    >Cry 5ever

I think that cades need a buff, first and foremost. It can be cost, it can be health, it can be the ability to attach fucking car batteries to the barbed wire to shock lurkers who want to be assholes. I don't care. But I've seen three cadelines utterly smashed by a set of T3's more often then not. The fob doesn't exist as a last stand hold anymore. It exists as something to keep the lurkers off people who just dropped. But I remember when FOB holds were something to look forward to, the constant back and forth of T3's attempting to break lines, and the marines countering? That's true engineer gameplay. So, I think engineer should get more emplacements too.
    >But wouldn't that just lead to sentryspam again?
    Not if you split up the 'combat' emplacements and the 'support' emplacements into two different loadout slots that you can take. Give the JIMA, the RING, and the tesla coil its own free category. (The coil itself I'm not so sure about, place it in combat or support. But I feel it's more of a support item). This will allow engineers to be more flexible in how they make FOBs. As well as keeping the functionality of offering a safespot from lurkers. Alternatively, engineers who want one of the backpack frames, but don't want to dick over the FOB can do the same thing. Take one of the combat turrets, use your upgrade kit on your JIMA/RING, and go help your squad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Engi main here. It says a lot that I literally made an account to contribute to this discussion

As it stands, here is my step by step for a round
    >Get equipped
    >Decide what turret I want
    >Say screw it and take the DMR
    >Say screw it again and take the flamer with an M44 sidearm to clear out weeds
    >Set up turrets, fill sandbags

(Option one)
    >Move to another objective with 3-4 other marines
    >Get jumped by a lurker, get both my feet taken off, have to go back up
    >Come back
    >Fob is getting shafted

Or, option 2
    >Say fuck it, I'm gonna reinforce the shit outta the fob
    >Put burn upgrades on every cade to protect from acid
    >Set up turrets with extra protection to keep lurkers away
    >Turrets do nothing
    >One crusher runs through it
    >One Boiler murders it
    >Cry 5ever

I think that cades need a buff, first and foremost. It can be cost, it can be health, it can be the ability to attach fucking car batteries to the barbed wire to shock lurkers who want to be assholes. I don't care. But I've seen three cadelines utterly smashed by a set of T3's more often then not. The fob doesn't exist as a last stand hold anymore. It exists as something to keep the lurkers off people who just dropped. But I remember when FOB holds were something to look forward to, the constant back and forth of T3's attempting to break lines, and the marines countering? That's true engineer gameplay. So, I think engineer should get more emplacements too.
    >But wouldn't that just lead to sentryspam again?
    Not if you split up the 'combat' emplacements and the 'support' emplacements into two different loadout slots that you can take. Give the JIMA, the RING, and the tesla coil its own free category. (The coil itself I'm not so sure about, place it in combat or support. But I feel it's more of a support item). This will allow engineers to be more flexible in how they make FOBs. As well as keeping the functionality of offering a safespot from lurkers. Alternatively, engineers who want one of the backpack frames, but don't want to dick over the FOB can do the same thing. Take one of the combat turrets, use your upgrade kit on your JIMA/RING, and go help your squad
    FYI when I play xeno we could not give less f*cks about your cades.

When I'm trapper boiler, if the cades is yellow acid upgrade, it takes 10-20 seconds longer to destroy big whop. In game makes zero difference. I just shoot it few more times.

When I'm front lining with multiple xenos, we don't care about your barbs. We just melee the same 1 tile cade until it breaks in less than 10 seconds. Cades are weak as hell. It's more to waste time than to stop anything. But soon as that trapper shows up, it will toast you with your cades. Other marines will yell at you to FIX CADES. I love it. Please, be my guest. Let me place traps behind you while shooting your cades. Oh you are in crit after 20 seconds while your cades are falling? Too bad.

And when I'm not messing around alt tabbing or changing music, good luck mortaring me. If I'm really paying attention I simply wont die to it. Trappers are broken. And I love the salt.

You also didn't mention that after 10 minutes you are out of mats. Its extremely unrewarding to play after.