User Tag List

View Poll Results: do engineers need a change?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • engineer gameplay is fun and no change is needed

3 3.33%
  • metal and plasteel costs should be greatly reduced or cades greatly increased in durability

31 34.44%
  • an objective that marines can take that provides req with points

18 20.00%
  • Both cost reduction/durability tweaks and an objective for req

38 42.22%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: squad engineer gameplay is insanely unfun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightbearetard View Post
    FYI when I play xeno we could not give less f*cks about your cades.

When I'm trapper boiler, if the cades is yellow acid upgrade, it takes 10-20 seconds longer to destroy big whop. In game makes zero difference. I just shoot it few more times.

When I'm front lining with multiple xenos, we don't care about your barbs. We just melee the same 1 tile cade until it breaks in less than 10 seconds. Cades are weak as hell. It's more to waste time than to stop anything. But soon as that trapper shows up, it will toast you with your cades. Other marines will yell at you to FIX CADES. I love it. Please, be my guest. Let me place traps behind you while shooting your cades. Oh you are in crit after 20 seconds while your cades are falling? Too bad.

And when I'm not messing around alt tabbing or changing music, good luck mortaring me. If I'm really paying attention I simply wont die to it. Trappers are broken. And I love the salt.

You also didn't mention that after 10 minutes you are out of mats. Its extremely unrewarding to play after.
    Cade fixing could be buffed for engies by simply letting them take a nailgun and a nailgun holster of some kind. IDK why this hasn't been implemented. Nailguns are a really fun and useful tool as survivor. They're strong but by no means overpowered IDK why marine engies cant have them as an option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm actually of the opinion that req should tell engineering to fuck off, buy 4 boxes of claymores for the fob instead of any materials for cades then spend everything else on claymores and a few crates of whatever high demand weapon runs out fast as well as ammunition, spec ammo, and nades.

Cades are shit to the point that on the front they are actively detrimental since they block the push while creating traffic jams for boilers, oppressors, and ravagers to abuse and since engineers will never have enough mats to build more than a single shitty line of cades with not enough plasteel doors it allows xenos to safely harrass anyone on the other side of the barricades without fearing retaliation since the marine can't cross the metal cades to effectively threaten a kill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, this is the dodo snaper.Perhaps you also know me as a FUCKED-up engineer Artem Cherny, who does a lot of things on fob. There is a big problem with the construction of fob. in the first 5 minutes, you need to completely seal it up so that the concealers do not get into fob and drag all the engineers to hive. After that, you have about 20 minutes to completely do fob/find the things you are interested in on the map (nail gun, materials, turrets)
    As a defense, I mostly use fortified walls. Someone will object by saying that they are useless and do not allow shooting. But that's the point.They break only by the queen, crusher, revo, pret and melt for 15 minutes. And they also do not allow the boiler and other spitting to throw their acid on fob. For the defense of these points, I make bunkers in which marinas can install machine guns and shoot. The longest-held fob was at Kutevo, when 28 marins held lz for 24 minutes from 30 xenomorphs. Also, the walls do not allow grass to grow, and are very well used together fier .
    Another problem is that as an engineer when protecting fob, you have no chance of surviving. You will either wear heavy armor and die from the spitting/throwing and fire of your comrades, or you will wear a protective suit and die from a couple of blows/bullets. You can also wear a firefighter's suit to navigate the fire, but this is the worst idea. There is a strong lack of a general protective suit that would not allow shooting, but gave the opportunity to quietly repair fob.
    I remember the round where we held lz on florina for 18 minutes. When my body was taken from the line of defense, the doctors called me a lego man. I had all my bones broken, a huge amount of shrapnel and over 700 total damage. And I was just running around the front line and fixing fob.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think cades need a straight statistical buff. Other than perhaps, barbed wire damage increase, that might be nice. I think other mechanics are the issue here- namely

1. Weeds go through cades. Marines are aggressively disadvantaged on weeds, and with the strength of remote building, it takes 4-5 marines dropping their guns and knifing the ground to keep from being totally boxed in, allowing any other xenos to get free damage on the cadeline. The power of a drone or hivelord zooming up, dropping a bunch of nodes 2 tiles away from the cadeline and then leaving is great enough that an engineer is more or less required to take a flamethrower to keep up.

2. Spitters and Trappers- especially Trappers- can damage cades for free, faster than you can repair them. The spitters at least they have to be *on screen* in order to damage the cade, but between that distance and their honestly baffeling speed up ability, it's still rare to actually punish said spitter for this.
    And everything just said applies triple for Trapper. At least with spitters, you have the hope of shooting them down, maybe even with some good claymores or if they try and poke with no support you can get them. And if you're babysitting with a fire extinguisher, you can repair the damage while they're on cooldown, at least until your water or fuel run out.
    But Trappers? No no no. 3 cades getting dunked at once, faster than you could hope to repair, in a manner that also damages the engineer, from beyond vision range. Trapper is not only the largest reason why FOBs and cadelines are meaningless, they're also bad game design in general. They arnt' even bound to restriction that normal Boiler has of being rooted for a few seconds before firing, they can just peek out from behind the wall, click, leave, making any scoped weapon a joke as a 'counter' to them. And if you manage to push through all the xenos that are with them to actually reach the Trapper, they have, for some reason, great close range offense and escape abilities! I'm of the full opinion that trapper should be outright removed.

Statistical buffs won't matter at all unless one of these things is changed. Prefferably #2. Comrade sentry is dead- defcon is dead, all of the shit that this massive cadecrush was meant to defeat has been long dead. Unfuck the FOBs. Make engineering fun. Let FOBs hold instead of just being lurker-detterant. Please. Engineering was my favorite aspect of pre-moba CM, and now I'm a gold medal medic instead.

Also make walls not shit, thanks.
    A lonesome cowboy, a chilled out broski, or an executive intern.

The Medals Folder:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm willing to compromise on the 'Resin going under cades' thing. Make it an upgrade. Apply plasteel/metal to a cade and weld it down to make a 'Grounded cade' that doesn't let resin through. Nerf the Queen eye so that she CAN'T BUILD THICK WALLS WHY IS THIS A THING? THE HIVELORD HAS TO GIVE UP THICK RESIN FOR REMOTE BUILDING BUT YOU JUST GIVE BOTH TO THE QUEEN REEEEEE.

...ahem.
    Yeah. Give Engineers more shit to do besides 'build cades, hug cades, die to boiler'. Hell the most fun I have with engineer is playing a discount SG by combat deploying the M2c on the front and shredding xenos. Add more active gameplay like that?